• Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0622.jpg
RELAY.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Need some troubleshooting help on Cyclone. Has been working fine since I bought it last year. Out of the blue, the Spookhouse drop target stopped working. Now, the Boomerang kicker, the ball kicker (that puts the ball into play via the skillshot) and both slingshots are not working. Also is making a "click" sound in the lower right hand side in the backbox, almost sounds like a chime. Steady click every 2 seconds until the machine is shut off. I personally have no way to test the boards etc. I spent hours looking and cannot find a problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 9 years ago

Have you run the diagnostic tests? Determine if the problem is switch or solenoid related. Also how "dirty" are you willing to get to fix the problem? There are things you can do to test the boards in the machine if you have a jumper wire and multimeter but if you're not comfortable doing that sort of troubleshooting you probably need to call in a pro.

viperrwk

#3 9 years ago

I tried running the diagnostic tests, but it would not cycle through them. Would only let me do the lamp and sound tests. I don not have a multimeter or any kind of a jumper wire. I would have no problem attempting to test the boards if I had the right equipment and knew exactly what to look for.

#4 9 years ago

The test sequence on Cyclone is Music, Display, Sound, Lamps. Solenoid, Switches and Mystery Wheel. If you were able to do the Lamp and Sound tests then you were able to cycle through the tests with the door controls, perhaps unintentionally, but did so nonetheless. If the door switches were not working you would be stuck on one test or perhaps couldn't even get into diagnostics.

You need a multimeter to test voltages, coil resistance, diodes, transistors, fuses. You need a jumper wire to test the switch matrix independent of the playfield, test coil function independent of the MPU board.

The clicking in the lower right of the backbox could be the A/C select relay. There could be any number of reasons why this is happening, but again, without running diagnostics and detailing the results, anything I told you would be speculating.

Do you have a soldering iron and solder and any electronics repair experience? If not, you either need to buy a bunch of stuff and comfortable learning how to fix the machine or call in a pro or perhaps a fellow Pinsider close to you who knows what they are doing.

viperrwk

#5 9 years ago

Thanks Vipe. I do have a soldering iron, and have done some solder repairs on my pins in the past. Mostly just repairing broken wires, replacing a few coils etc.. I may find someone nearby with more experience here on Pinside, or I may break down and call the local pro it if comes to that. Appreciate the help. I will also try running the diagnostics again on the door switches. It was late when I was doing it before and I was not a happy camper, so maybe I just flatout missed something or hit the wrong test button. Worst part is, I had the machine sold the night before, and it acted up the next day before he came to pick it up.

#6 9 years ago

I'm no expert, but if you need help let me know. I have never owned Cyclone so I need to know which coil # you are having problems with. Sounds like coils 1A 4A 5A SP2 SP4 but check and see if these are right. Coils 1A 4A 5A work with the AC relay. The clicking you hear is probabley the AC relay. Its looks to me you need to look at the aux power driver board first. Check fuses and power there first.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I'm no expert, but if you need help let me know. I have never owned Cyclone so I need to know which coil # you are having problems with. Sounds like coils 1A 4A 5A SP2 SP4 but check and see if these are right. Coils 1A 4A 5A work with the AC relay. The clicking you hear is probabley the AC relay. Its looks to me you need to look at the aux power driver board first. Check fuses and power there first.

Thanks, I will do what I can tonight or tomorrow with my somewhat limited skills and equipment. I'm sure i'll need help, just need to find someone close by..

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Sounds like coils 1A 4A 5A SP2 SP4 but check and see if these are right. Coils 1A 4A 5A work with the AC relay. The clicking you hear is probabley the AC relay.

It's definitely the AC relay. I can see it inside clicking. So I assume it's bad? And do these just pop right off the board, or does it have to be de-soldered from the rear by taking the board out or? Didn't have much time last night to look at it.

#9 9 years ago

The relay has to be desoldered from the rear. To confirm, which board relay is clicking all the time?

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

The relay has to be desoldered from the rear. To confirm, which board relay is clicking all the time?

RELAY.jpgRELAY.jpg

#11 9 years ago

What you circled in the pic is the A/C relay on the aux P/S.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

What you circled in the pic is the A/C relay on the aux P/S.

It's the driver board for all the coils. If you unhook the coils (connectors) from the board, does the relay still fire non-stop? (check the schematics, but im betting its the bottom left side 3 connections).

We need to rule out that anything under the playfield could be causing the issue.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Spookhouse drop target stopped working. Now, the Boomerang kicker, the ball kicker (that puts the ball into play via the skillshot) and both slingshots are not working.

Are you sure these are the only solenoids that arent working, I'm thinking that none of them are working. Check this out and let us know. If none are working it may be your blanking circuit.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Are you sure these are the only solenoids that arent working, I'm thinking that none of them are working. Check this out and let us know. If none are working it may be your blanking circuit.

I will try and do some more checking tonight. THANKS for all the help so far everyone..

#15 9 years ago

There are 3 LEDs on the CPU board 5 volt, dianostics and blanking. The 5volt and blanking LED should be lit solid. Dianostics flashes.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

There are 3 LEDs on the CPU board 5 volt, dianostics and blanking. The 5volt and blanking LED should be lit solid. Dianostics flashes.

That's what mine does yes. I'm not at home, but I do remember checking them. And that's correct/

#17 9 years ago

The problem can also be on the interconnect board. You might want to pull it out and check solder joints of the header pins.

#18 9 years ago

The interconnect board on Cyclone interfaces the electronics on the insert (lights, stepper motor & controls, GI relay) to the MPU. Doubtful there's anything there that's causing this problem.

viperrwk

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

It's the driver board for all the coils. If you unhook the coils (connectors) from the board, does the relay still fire non-stop? (check the schematics, but im betting its the bottom left side 3 connections).
We need to rule out that anything under the playfield could be causing the issue.

So i need to disconnect all 12 sets of pin connectors, then power it back up and see what the relay then does? When playing with it just now, the relay was not clicking every second or 2. Wasn't clicking at all while in attract mode.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Did finally get it to go through the coil test. Everything worked except: knocker, boomerang, both slingshots, shuttle kicker ( which puts the ball into play via skillshot ) and the spin mystery wheel flasher. Otherwise, unless i missed one, the rest checked out. Went through it twice. I originally thought the spookhouse drop target was not working, but it did during the test. Would not reset the last 4 or 5 games played.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

The interconnect board on Cyclone interfaces the electronics on the insert (lights, stepper motor & controls, GI relay) to the MPU. Doubtful there's anything there that's causing this problem.

If my memory serves me correct I believe its U1 maybe U2 on the interconnect board, an opto transistor that has to do with the A/C relay and could cause problems.

#22 9 years ago

The only opto on the other side of the interconnect board is switch 41 for the mystery wheel. The interconnect board on Cyclone has nothing on it - it's just an interconnect.

viperrwk

Cyclone interconnect boardCyclone interconnect board

#23 9 years ago

Any more valuable info before I get home later this afternoon, and maybe spend more time on it?
Thanks again all.

#24 9 years ago

Bump for any more suggestions or opinions, or should I just call a pro? Any chance it's just the AC relay? Should have time to look at it some more tonight.

#25 9 years ago

I dont think we have done enough troubleshooting to sort that out (AC relay). A bit fuzzy. Your last few posts above. You went through coil tests, and did all coils fire without issue or problem? As your going through tests, your not getting any other errors or problems?

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

I dont think we have done enough troubleshooting to sort that out (AC relay). A bit fuzzy. Your last few posts above. You went through coil tests, and did all coils fire without issue or problem? As your going through tests, your not getting any other errors or problems?

The coils that worked, worked without issue. No other errors or problems. Everything else seems to check out. GI, sound, displays etc. seem fine.

#27 9 years ago

Emailed someone who's worked on my pins before. He doesn't do housecalls anymore this far but recommended I see what fuses run the solenoids that aren't working and replace as necessary and I may be good to go. Anyone know off the top of there head know which fuses coincide with my nonfiring solenoids? I will look in the manual tonight. Just be nice if someone had the info without going through manual. Thanks

#28 9 years ago

Ok. Have everything working except the Spookhouse. Replaced the F4 fuse, 2 amp slo blo. Now, the drop target for the spookhouse coil IS workin and was, but the insert lamp does not come in during gameplay. So, when its lit and you knock the target down to gain access to the Spookhouse, it says "won't you come in". Then when the ball enters the Spookhouse it spins the Mystery wheel. So, now the target stays down and obviously you can enter and the Mystery wheel works but no lit light and no call out? Otherwise everything is good. Another fuse maybe? Cyclone owner help?

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Ok. Have everything working except the Spookhouse. Replaced the F4 fuse, 2 amp slo blo. Now, the drop target for the spookhouse coil IS workin and was, but the insert lamp does not come in during gameplay. So, when its lit and you knock the target down to gain access to the Spookhouse, it says "won't you come in". Then when the ball enters the Spookhouse it spins the Mystery wheel. So, now the target stays down and obviously you can enter and the Mystery wheel works but no lit light and no call out? Otherwise everything is good. Another fuse maybe? Cyclone owner help?

I'm not familiar with Cyclone, but could that issue be related to a faulty switch in the Spookhouse? ...or maybe it just needs adjusting? Sounds like a switch should be triggering the light and call out? Maybe test the switch for that spot. Maybe it just needs adjusting.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from mnpin:

I'm not familiar with Cyclone, but could that issue be related to a faulty switch in the Spookhouse? ...or maybe it just needs adjusting? Sounds like a switch should be triggering the light and call out? Maybe test the switch for that spot. Maybe it just needs adjusting.

Not sure J how to test the switch. Worked fine 2 weeks ago. Until someone looked at it, then it quit working.

#31 9 years ago

I could stop out on Sat or Sun to take a look if you don't get it fixed by then. Happy to try and help. -Jonathan

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from mnpin:

I could stop out on Sat or Sun to take a look if you don't get it fixed by then. Happy to try and help. -Jonathan

I will drop you a PM later or tomorrow. Thanks. Just been so busy with the pup. I wouldn't be even bothering with it, had i not had it sold last Sat, then it acted up before he came to pick it up. He's still wants it so....

#33 9 years ago

Its just like when you did the coil test. Select switch test instead and with the glass off you can touch each switch and there name and number will show on the display. The drop target may be a switch or an opto. If its a switch it may need adjusting or the diode may be bad. Try this and let us know.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Its just like when you did the coil test. Select switch test instead and with the glass off you can touch each switch and there name and number will show on the display. The drop target may be a switch or an opto. If its a switch it may need adjusting or the diode may be bad. Try this and let us know.

Will check that tomorrow. Biggest problem is the service button in the coin door is so dang touchy and cycles through stuff so slow or skips to whatever without touching anything etc.. We'll get ' er. Thanks all. Keep ya updated.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

k. Have everything working except the Spookhouse. Replaced the F4 fuse, 2 amp slo blo. Now, the drop target for the spookhouse coil IS workin and was, but the insert lamp does not come in during gameplay. So, when its lit and you knock the target down to gain access to the Spookhouse, it says "won't you come in". Then when the ball enters the Spookhouse it spins the Mystery wheel. So, now the target stays down and obviously you can enter and the Mystery wheel works but no lit light and no call out? Otherwise everything is good. Another fuse maybe? Cyclone owner help?

You need to run through the switch test. See if it still fails.

If this is truly your only switch problem, then I'm betting this is a opto problem. Either a lose wire, or possibly the opto is bad.

#37 9 years ago

You can find whether your switch issues are on the MPU or the playfield by following this procedure:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-cyclone-outhole-kicker-other-issues#post-1003456

viperrwk

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Rutledge, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-tech-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.