Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by lartdujeu
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NJDevils30.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hey guys,

Got a cyclone that appears to be working fine except for the speech and voice.

Here's some more info on this:

When the game boots up a low tone bong can be heard which I believe signals a successful test of the circuitry. When you enter the diagnostic menu the music works but the sound test produces nothing. Pressing the sound diagnostic switch on the CPU board produces no sounds/tones.

I reseated the roms and connectors on the sound board including the ribbon cable. I also reseated the roms found on the CPU board. Unfortunately this did not do the trick. The game appears to play fine and the music plays as your playing but for example if you hit the spook house target, the music volume goes down and then comes back I assume this is where the sound/speech would play.

The volume control appears to work correctly as well as all the speakers and the board looks very clean with no acid damage anywhere that I can see.

Just looking for some advice if anyone has had a problem like this before. I'm wondering if maybe the roms could be suspect but the diagnostic switch on the CPU board produces no sound so I am not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 10 years ago

Ok going to try this out tomorrow.

I appreciate your help. Trying to diagnose as best I can.

It's a unfortunate problem to have. I really feel that the speech adds a lot to the games experience.

#5 10 years ago

Ok well to report back on this I checked out the -12v at pin 8 on connector 1J17 and it appears to be ok, the meter was reading roughly -14v but it's not the best meter I assume this is ok. I'm wondering if there is an easy method to check that filter cap at c26 i didn't get to that.

I then tried the swap of the 6802 chips placing the socketed chip from u15 to u24 and the u24 chip to u15. The game would then not boot at all. the general illumination appeared to work but no boot. Would this then indicate that maybe the 6802 chip is bad in the u24 socket?

#6 10 years ago

I will also add that I do hear some humming from the speakers but my thought is this is a normal occurrence.

#8 10 years ago

From what I can see the legs are all seated and I don't see any acid/heat damage around that socket but I guess I would have to take the mpu out to see the back of it. I guess it would be possible that there is a cold solder joint on the socket?

#9 10 years ago

I assume a replacement 6802 chip might be cheap enough to just try out.

#11 10 years ago

Ah yes this might be a good idea I will have to look around.

#14 10 years ago

I did go ahead and swap the chips back from u24 and u15 and the game booted and played just as it was before with no speech/sounds. I am going to see if I can get one of these IC's seeing as this might be the issue.

1 week later
#17 10 years ago

Ok,

First I would just like to thank you guys for your help. Without you guys I probably wouldn't be at this point.

I replaced the 6802 chip and the sounds are now playing during the sound test and within the game.

The only sounds that don't appear to be working are Dracula's voice/calls.

When you hit the spook house target the music dims as if he is going to speak but nothing plays.

When I hit the sw1 diagnostic switch on the mpu board I get two tones one lower and one higher pitch and they repeat over and over until the game is booted again. In the music test menu all music works except for one labeled C.V.S.D. Sound. The C.V.S.D. Sound does not produce anything. I assume this might be for the Dracula voice.

Anyone think this could possibly be a rom issue?

Let me know what you guys think and thanks again,

#19 10 years ago

Well the other sound calls seem to be working under the sound test and within the game for example the "hey you with the face" works and others like the "hurry hurry step right up" or "ride the Ferris wheel." These work within gameplay the only one that doesn't appear to work is the Dracula. Ex "won't you come in" or "welcome to my house" I'm not sure if there are others.

Any idea what is supposed to play during the C.V.S.D. Test in the music test menu?

#22 10 years ago

Well when I press that sw1 on the mpu board I do get tones. One is slightly lower sounding and lower pitch while the second is louder and higher pitched. They constantly repeat over and over until the game is turned off and on. Would these two "tones" possibly indicate an issue with the u21 rom. I may have a way to signature the ROM contents so I guess I could check that.

#25 10 years ago

I'll try to swap out for a new set of roms seeing as this might correct the issue or at least help to narrow it down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NJDevils30.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-system-11b-no-speech-voice?tu=NJDevils30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.