(Topic ID: 190121)

Cyclone Row Out / Grounding Transistor Works?

By harryhoudini

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sys11-Lamps (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I have a row of lights out on my Cyclone. I tested the continuity from the playfield to the board. I tested the rows with the jumper from pin 1 on the column connector to the pins on the row connector. It is row 8 that is out, confirmed. I then tested with a jumper from ground to the transistor and it works. What do I do now?

#4 6 years ago

Thanks! Logic probe is on the way from Amazon so as soon as that gets here I can check more. Thanks for the info!

#6 6 years ago

Excellent, good to know! I'm going to wait for the probe (stupid holidays! I'm a consumer, I want stuff yesterday! ) and hopefully use it correctly to determine the issue

1 week later
#7 6 years ago

barakandl would you mind identifying those components on the board for me? Still trying to learn the schematics and what is what. How to test (what should be pulsing) would be huge in help too (meaning, stick the logic probe on what legs of what transistor, etc)

#9 6 years ago

Thanks terryb I'm getting there I want to logic probe everthing on the darn board now, but trying not to break anything as well!

#10 6 years ago

Sorry, it's been a bit since I worked on this game. I recall now that I ended up replacing Q87 and when I turned the machine on and ran lamp tests there was a loud hum, smelled burning and then they dimmed and went out. All non GI lights (insert?) are out now. Nothing is visibly amiss and no fuses LOOK blown. I will be happy to pull fuses and check. I just don't know what the path is before the transistors for each lamp row. Where do I start upstream? What is the upstream fuse for the insert lights? I think the GI use the four that are grouped inside the right side of the backbox. Are those also insert? Unsure how to put the various schematics together to understand how the lamp matrix gets power or where to start on this.

#12 6 years ago

You guys are awesome. Logic probed the diodes and D118 was not pulsing. Replaced it and ran lamp test again and now that row is on solid, bright all the time... read the Williams repair guide and saw that it is likely the transistor. I'll replace that and hope that takes care of it Really appreciate the detailed information, I am starting to understand the schematics much more. Love the logic probe.

#16 6 years ago

OH YES! I forgot, the 8amp fuse was blown. It was a very old looking "blade" fuse (not a wrapped coil inside) and there was no way I would ever see that visually. I knew the GI fuses were inside the right backbox but didn't know that the single fuse below was for the insert lights, so yup! Thanks!

#17 6 years ago

Replaced the TIP122 and now the row 8 lamps work but I have bright and double lights (two lights on, separate rows) for each light on row 8. Going to go back and read the System11 repair guide again, I know it talked about the double lights. I also ordered a magnifying headlamp thingy because I can not see between the transistor legs where I soldered and it looks like there might be some crossover there. Not sure that would explain the double lights but I needed it anyhow. Getting closer

How many times do you have to take a board out of a machine to repair it? 50?

#19 6 years ago

Yeah, that was basically my implication. The top of the board is hard to tell if the solder is touching, so waiting on that magnifier.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-row-out-grounding-transistor-works?tu=harryhoudini and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.