• Latest reply 5 years ago by jchybro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s11ssol1 (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I have a cyclone that was running perfectly and now suddenly the right kicker / sling is not firing. It does score the points when hit so the leaf switches are registering. When in test mode the coil does not fire. I did notice some "machine gunning" with the kicker previously when it was working.

I replaced the coil (i know, not the most logical first step) and no luck. I do know it uses a "special" solenoid on System 11Bs that bypasses the CPU for quicker response, but i'm not sure if it has an associated fuse. Can anyone point me to that? I read somewhere the special solenoids have their own fuses but i can't figure out where those are, if they exist. I also doubt the right kicker has a single fuse only for itself but i hope i'm wrong as that would be an easy fix once i identify which one it is. Any clues or ideas would be much appreciated.
thanks for reading.

#2 6 years ago

Correct, it is not a fuse if only one kicker is not working. Check the driver transistor for the right sling, Q69. I'm the future, remember that coils rarely fail, it's usually something else...unless a coil has locked in long enough to burn or melt it. You can quickly test the coil, the coil supply power, and it's associated wiring by briefly grounding it's driving transistors mounting tab.

#3 6 years ago

Ok i was wrong, The special solenoids are CPU controlled on cyclone.

Before i try the quick ground test, do you mean to touch ground to the top of transistor Q69 to see if the coil fires? I am double checking before i do this since i really don't feel like blowing the CPU board.

Today I checked:
DC power to the coil is present and it matches the value of the left kicker coil.
Q69 tests normal in diode mode on the multimeter.
Checked continuity to from the non-firing coil to the other coils in line and it buzzes ok.

#4 6 years ago

Yes, touching the tab on top of the transistor with a test lead to ground completes the circuit that the transistor switches. It doesn't test the transistor itself.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for your help. i tried grounding the transistor and that worked - The coil did fire. At least i am seeing progress but now what? i double checked the transistor with the meter and it tests ok. Is it time to pull it and replace it or is there anything else to do first?

#6 6 years ago

What happens when you start a game and ground 1J18 pin 4?

#7 6 years ago

Nothing happens but i would kind of expect this because nothing is connected to the 1J18 pins so i imagine they are not in use. I didnt try 1J19 pin 6 which is what i believe is right kicker. Thanks.

#8 6 years ago

Doing some more research and found this:

.... If the TIP122/102 and coil pass this test, and the coil still doesn't work in game play, the problem is more "up stream". All that is left is the 2N4401 pre-driver transistor, and the logic TTL chip that ultimately controls the whole process (a 7402 for the special coils or 7408 for the constant power solenoids), and the PIA 6821 chip.

Am I on the right track? It does fire when grounding the transistor at Q69 (TIP122).

#9 6 years ago

Yes, you are on track. Look for the pulses incdicated on the chart with a logic probe, scope, or even a DMM/Voltmeter.

SSx: 6821 PIA to 7407 to 7402 to 2N4401 to TIP122
SSd: U38 (pin 19) to U49 to U45 to Q68 to Q69

s11ssol1 (resized).pngs11ssol1 (resized).png

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from jchybro:

Nothing happens but i would kind of expect this because nothing is connected to the 1J18 pins so i imagine they are not in use.

There are not in use, but the components are all still on the board. Now since it did not work this narrows it down to most likely 3 items. 1. Nor chip. 2. predriver. 3. Tip driver. Now you tested the driver to be good. You should test the predriver.

2 months later
#11 5 years ago

Good news. I finally got around to working on this again and resolved the issue. I pulled the mbu and the 2n4401 and tip122 (Q68 & Q69) were testing ok but they were a little different on the meter vs. the similar components on the board. Decided to replace both and everything then tested similar to the other components, put it back in the machine, and the right kicker is now working perfectly. Thank you all for your help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-right-kicker-dead-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.