Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

Probably a connector or header problem. Look for cracked through hole soldered headers. Do the relays click when they are supposed to? This will help determine if the problem is upstream or downstream from the relays - or determine if it is the relay trigger circuit or the GO string the relay is supposed to be switching. Use the coil test in diagnostic mode.

If you don't find the problem, let us kniw , this can be narrowed down with a DMM/voltmeter

#4 6 years ago

If the GI relays are not clicking then you need to determine which transistor is the switch that grounds the trigger that completes the ground for the relay trigger signal. Ground that transistors mounting tab. If the GI works when you ground the tab, then the problem is the transistor or upstream from it. If it does not, the problem is downstream from the transistor.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from guitarjunkee:

I understand what you are saying, but how do I make that determination without frying my board? How do I test that? Or should I send it in to someone that knows how to test it?

Look at the solenoid chart in the front of the manual. It tells you which transistor controls the GI relays. In Cyclone, Q9 controls playfield GI and Q16 backglass GI.

#7 6 years ago

To test, use an alligator clip test lead, one end clipped to a suitable ground such as a board mounting screw, and touch the other end to the transistor tab, briefly. As long you don't hold it on there long, you won't damage anything. Just a quick touch to test.

2 weeks later
#9 6 years ago

So when you grounded the tab, the GI lamps turned on, correct?
This test does not test the transistors themselmselves. it is to test the wiring and GI relays downstream.

Yes, the diagnostic LED should be continually flashing.

#11 6 years ago

First, I would recommend not adding anything and focusing on one problem at a time. Let's table the ferris wheel for the moment.

The solenoid table in the manual show the pf GI is solenoid #10 and wiring is 8P3-10 via 5J2-8, 5J6-8. The number "5" in those last numbers is a code that refers to the aux driver board. If you look at the schematics, you'll see the purpose of this is for the coil circuit to pickup a flyback diode. Coil diodes were removed from the playfield coils and given a place to live on the aux driver board to improve reliability.

As I said earlier, grounding the tab tests the solenoid circuit downstream from the MPU driving transistor. Since it didn't work, the following possibilities:
a bad connection anywhere along the output path from MPU Q9 to the pf GI relay (MPU out, In and out of aux driver, and playfield connectors)
failed relay
failed flyback diode.

From here you can rule out the relay (yes, you replaced it...but ground the trigger wire at the relay board to be certain it works.)
Check connectors 1P12-2, 8P3-10, 5J2-8, 5J6-8
Check diode D10

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-relay-question?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.