Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I have a Cyclone and all three pop bumpers quit working. I checked the fuses, all checked good. I'm getting around 7v DC at all the pop bumper lugs. I was expecting either the appropriate voltage or 0 volts. Any ideas?

#2 4 years ago

Go over those fuses again pull them out and test with meter.For 3 pop bumpers to fail at the same time I’m putting my money on fuses

#3 4 years ago

Don't just check the continuity at the fuse alone. Check for DC power at each end of the fuse with your meter. If you have a good fuse you'll see the correct solenoid DC power at each fuse clip, and then you know your problem is downstream from there.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Don't just check the continuity at the fuse alone. Check for DC power at each end of the fuse with your meter. If you have a good fuse you'll see the correct solenoid DC power at each fuse clip, and then you know your problem is downstream from there.

Yes great idea..To the OP did this happen during playing a game or were you doing some work?

#5 4 years ago

do your kickers work? those 3 pop bumpers are on a special solenoid circuit and they are all related

#6 4 years ago

OK, I checked the voltage at F3 fuse clips on the aux power board (supplies power to the pop bumpers) and got 38v. The kickers work fine. Now for the strange part.

Starting from the beginning, the game was working great, then the ferris wheel motor quit working. I tried to figure out what was wrong with no success. Then, as I was rotating the playfield up, to check voltages, the ferris wheel starting working again, but that's when the pop bumpers quit working. As I have been working on the game I alternately lose either the pop bumpers or the ferris wheel. I checked all the connections, everything appeared properly seated. Now everything works great but I know its a matter of time before the cycle starts over.

What do the pop bumpers and ferris wheel motor have in common? One has a controlled solenoid the other a special solenoid. Where do I look for the source of the problem?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from shado01:

What do the pop bumpers and ferris wheel motor have in common? One has a controlled solenoid the other a special solenoid. Where do I look for the source of the problem?

Don't assume that the problems are related, as they could be the different problems. However, that said...I used to have a Cyclone a long time ago, but I can't remember if there are any block connectors on the wiring harness.

Solenoid power is distributed to both those sets of devices. If they are working intermittently when the playfield is raised, I would be suspect a pinched harness, or the weight of the harness pulling on connectors in the backbox. Id focus on solving one of the problems which may lead you to solve the other.

Check the IDC connectors for solenoid power, as they are notorious for bad connections in an aged game. Not only the female connector on top, but you may have to pull the board and check for cracked header pins under magnification. Measure resistance from the fuse to the failing playfield device. If it is now working, that could prove difficult, as you will also have to wiggle the harness and connectors to find an intermittent break.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-pop-bumper-problem?hl=startek2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.