(Topic ID: 220244)

Cyclone pinbll, Ferris way going reverse.

By rtotans

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Tomass
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20180630_102555 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Don_C.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 5 years ago

It's an AC motor, they can start in either direction. Wires are fine. Inside the gearbox is a lever that blocks gears in reverse, so it starts in forward. Grind rivet heads, open gearbox, clean out old grease and regrease. Reassemble w JB Weld.
Don_C

#11 5 years ago

An AC motor does not care how the wires are hooked up. You can check the schematic to confirm they are AC wires (colors are right). You can also confirm if it is AC with your multimeter. When set it to DC, you will not get a stable reading, when you set it to AC, the reading should be stable.

I see the motor/ flywheel cover is missing in the photos, but it's not essential. Check the cabinet.

Yes, there is a risk to opening the gearbox. But what good is it to you now? There's no way to fix it without opening it. I have done this twice on gearmotors for pins, and several times on fans and a Miller Beer light. That being said, the patient may not survive. Other things may be worn out. I can't guarantee that I have diagnosed your problem correctly, but I am sharing my experience (from memory, I did this years ago).

Use a sharp drill bit or a Dremel type grinder to remove the ends of the rivets that were mashed to hold them in. Take the case halves apart carefully, then take some pictures. You can take out the gears and you can look for the little moveable lever that should make the gears turn only in one direction. Use some solvent and clean out all old grease. Make sure everything moves freely. Regrease lightly with some white lithium grease. Put all the gears back in and assemble the case halves and rivets. Using solvent, clean any areas that you will be gluing. Put a dab of JB weld or other quality epoxy on the ends of the rivets and the the case around the rivet holes. You can also put some epoxy on the seam of the case in a few places to help hold it all together. Let it all set up. Reassemble and try it out. I think mine still gave me some trouble to start but settled down after a little while. It's been working flawlessly for over ten years after the repair.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Don C.

1 week later
#15 5 years ago

Congrats on solving problem #1.
Coils: Be methodical. Check that they are free mechanically. With the game on and a game started, check (DC) voltage from either coil lug on one of the coils to ground (the braid). Should be about 40 volts. If no voltage, its connectors/wires. If you have voltage, then use your manual to find the driver transistor for one of the coils. Game on and started, briefly ground the tab of the transistor to ground. If the coil fires, the wiring to the coil is good. If not, next suspects are connectors, header pins on board. Then check the transistors themselves (search Pinside). If all OK, go up the chain to pre-driver transistor, then the buffer chip that controls the coils. Don't have a manual handy, so i don't know if they share a buffer chip.
GI: Cyclone GI circuits are overstressed. Take your meter on AC volts setting and see where you lose the voltage. Most likely you will find a fried connector/pins on the relay boards, driver board or even a wire-to-wire connector. Brown and crumbly connectors are usually the clear sign. If you find some, you MUST replace the connector and the pins together.
Don C.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Don_C.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-pinbll-ferris-way-going-reverse-?tu=Don_C and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.