Cyclone, no 12V at opto board, otherwise, game 99%

By sneakerpin

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hello,

Picked up a Cyclone a week or so ago. Everything works well except the Spook House drop target opto board.

I tested:

Solenoid - Kicks Target up OK
Switch Matrix - Shorted Row and Column on opto board and it registered during test mode with Molex connector attached

I narrowed it down to the opto board. I tried 'seeing' with a digital camera, but I saw nothing inside the opto housing.

I then tried to measure DC volts, and measure nothing. I literally pulled the wires off the Molex connector, no volts. I checked all the wire harnesses from playfield, and back box and they are all tight.

I measured a clean 12V at the PSU board. I looked at my schematics and it appears the 12V "logic power" goes into the MPU, then I'm lost

The wires on the opto board Molex connector are WHT/YEL (+12VDC) and BLK/YEL (GND)

I then bench-tested the opto board. The IR LED indeed lights up, but the switch contacts do not respond to me blocking the receiver LED? I am not sure, but that little transistor must be the switch to open and close the contacts going to the MPU switch matrix...

I am looking for:

1. The 12V line, where to trace from PSU to Opto
2. Any information on the opto board for bench testing (contact closure or voltage at Row/Col pins)

Thanks Everyone!

Tim

#2 6 years ago

The +12 volts unregulated originates at power supply board connector 3J6 pin 5 (gray-white wire).

The last few pages of the pdf manual are missing the power wiring schematics.

#3 6 years ago

Hi Ken,

Yes, I know that pin/wire, but where it goes from there, I'm digging around.

Thanks,

Tim

#4 6 years ago

The schematics you need are missing from the pdf manual. This makes it difficult to troubleshoot without those key pages.

#5 6 years ago

So, out of curiosity, the original manual, (like one from a dealer like Marco) contains the "missing" schematics vs the IPDB 66 page PDF version? Or is there a special service manual that I am missing?

I have the original manual for my High Speed, and the only difference (in comparison to the 66 page Cyclone I downloaded) is my HS schematics fold out and of course, are easier to follow than separate pages.

It must simply be a broken wire somewhere.

Thanks,

Tim

#6 6 years ago

I am going to learn to redo a molex connector as well. I'm going to start my research. I suspect the problem originates in a connector somewhere.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from sneakerpin:

So, out of curiosity, the original manual, (like one from a dealer like Marco) contains the "missing" schematics vs the IPDB 66 page PDF version?

Yes that is correct.

The pdf manual was missing pages 53 through 56. One of those missing pages was the power wiring diagram which is what you need. Whoever's manual that was that got scanned was missing those vital pages.

A complete original manual or a reproduction from say ebay pinball manual seller "jeffwager" will have those missing pages.

#8 6 years ago

I solved the problem.

I had too much speaker hum as well, figures, the backbox speakers were plugged into the playfield 12V going to spook house opto board... swapped exact 2-pin connectors that held exact colored wires (BLK/YEL) and problem solved...

sheesh...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-no-12v-at-opto-board-otherwise-game-99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.