Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Deaner
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Help... I have been working on the Cyclone pinball I picked up a few months ago. I have read the other posts for mystery wheel problems, but my seems to be different than those.

When I go to the mystery wheel test there is no error code when I start it. Some times the wheel will spin in a clockwise manner and work correctly. The display properly displays the spot the clown is pointing at. It will work for several times and then it will stop and jitter back and forth or run counter clockwise.

When I start the game and trigger the mystery wheel it does not spin at all or just a little jitter back and forth.

I have put in a new mystery wheel motor from Marco Specialties. I have read the wire colors are different so I took that into account and ended up with:

Pin 1: White
Pin 2: Red
Pin 3: Empty
Pin 4: Empty
Pin 5: Blue
Pin 6: Yellow

I have also put in a new Rottendog power supply and I checked the CPU board and it is the stock Williams one.

I have run out of thing to try at this point and would appreciate any suggestions.

#2 9 years ago

Try a new stepper motor PCB controller board....

#3 9 years ago

I have looked for that since it was about the only thing I had not replaced. Any idea about where I can find one?

#4 9 years ago

It's part # D-12046 on Marco, unfortunately out of stock - sorry! That's where I got mine...

#5 9 years ago

Or sent it to someone that does board repair like 'Coin Op Cauldren'

#6 9 years ago

Go into switch test and see which switches are registering. One that should depending upon the position of the wheel is SW41. This switch is triggered for half the rotation of the wheel and is not triggered for the other half (the two blue 10Ks on the wheel form the dividing line.) You can rotate the wheel to either close or open the switch. If you rotate it to open the switch and while sitting there it goes back and forth showing the switch open and closed, then you have a problem with the opto on the Mystery Wheel.

Other diagnostic procedures for the wheel:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-mystery-wheel-problem#post-810733

Replacing the opto is pretty easy though I'd have to go look up which one it is.

GLM makes and sells a replacement board which was used in a number of other games (and is the one sold by Marco BTW):

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/index.html?http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/sy11smd.html

You may want to send them a note asking if/when they will have more stock if you don't want to go the component repair route.

viperrwk

#7 9 years ago

I should have also mentioned that you should try cleaning the opto first with iso alcohol and see if that solves your problem.

viperrwk

#8 9 years ago

Had the same problem on my Cyclone.

Fixed by repinning switch connectors on the mpu.

#9 9 years ago

Here is a link to the video of how my wheel behaves.

#10 9 years ago

The fact that it shows it stops on the blue 10k when its not and says 256 in the P4 display shows the opto is not being read properly. First try cleaning the opto. If that doesn't solve it run the other diagnostic procedures I linked to in the other thread. Also check your connectors as suggested but this is most likely either a dirty or bad opto.

viperrwk

#11 9 years ago

Would the dirty opto cause the wheel to not spin or spin the wrong direction? I am beginning to wonder if there may be more than one problem.

I will give the opto a clean this weekend and see what that does.

Thank you for all of the help and suggestions.

#12 9 years ago

Watching your video, to me it is pretty obvious it is an opto issue.

The fact that the "H" appears in the P4 display and there are times when the wheel goes around where it works properly (gets to 200 and then resets to 0) shows that the switch is being read on the MPU board. But then there are times when the wheel goes to 256 and there's no H in the display so it is lost. It then turns until it can find home - sometimes it can, sometimes it can't. That sort of inconsistent behavior says opto to me.

From the manual for the Mystery Wheel test:

"...if the home switch (opto) is not working, the number (on the P4 display) can go as high as 256."

As I said, put it in switch test, turn the wheel until SW41 is tripped and observe it while it's sitting there. If it's not rock solid, it's an opto issue. It could be a dirty opto, could be a connector issue, could be a voltage problem, could be a bad opto. Easiest and simplest things to try first are cleaning the opto and checking/reseating the connectors. If that doesn't solve the problem, check the voltage next. If that is ok, you either need a new opto or opto board depending upon how comfortable you are with soldering.

If it were a problem with the switch matrix on the MPU, it wouldn't work at all.

viperrwk

#13 9 years ago

I took the wheel off of the board and cleaned the opto with a q-tip and iso-alchohol (91%). Did not make any difference...

I went to the switch test and turned the wheel to where SW41 was tripped. I left it there for about 5 minutes while I watched and it was tripped the entire time.

I checked the voltages going in and they were within +- 5%.

I emailed Tony at GLM and he has new boards coming out in about a month. I think that is going to be the way to go.

#14 9 years ago

Huh - I guess a new board may be the answer. Let me know how it turns out...

2 months later
#15 9 years ago

At this point I think I am just going to give up trying to get this working. Great lakes modular has not come out with the board yet. I have tried to Email Tony twice now about the status, but I don't even get a response.

1 month later
#16 9 years ago

I finally got the mystery wheel working, with help from viperrwk. The board had several issues, including previous repairs that were not done well. Thank you very much viperrwk, I could not have gotten it working without you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-mystery-wheel-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.