You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1660 (resized).JPG
IMG_1659 (resized).JPG
IMG_1658 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Well thanks to Pinsiders I've got the Williams Cyclone up and working pretty good. The game is playable to a point. Scoring works fine, GI's work fine, you can play it but a few things still not working. The Bottom Jet Bumper, both Left and Right Slings, Boomerang, and Big Kick still do not work. All fuses checked, all transistors check, done every test you could think of. Here is the catch, about a month ago everything played fine, now these four items are not working. Checked voltage to Jet Bumpers they all read the same. Checked voltage to the other items they are all low. Have correct voltage coming off the power supply. Help!!!

#2 5 years ago

If the voltages are low on only some of the solenoids, check your power wiring under the playfield.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Those are all special solenoids, yes? It's possible the chip that goes between them and the data bus went bad. It's strange that it's 5 of them, though, because that chip only covers four solenoids. Did you check the predriver transistors as well?

I don't think those are all special. Op didn't mention the upper 2 pops which are also special. Boomerang and big kick probably aren't special.

#4 5 years ago

Yeah, I just realized that. You got in 5 seconds before I changed it.

#5 5 years ago

@Op:

So, lets start with basics again: if you ground the tab of the transistor for those five solenoids, do they fire?

And to confirm, these are solenoids 03A, 04A, 18, 20, and 21 in the solenoid table?

Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Yeah, I just realized that. You got in 5 seconds before I changed it.

#6 5 years ago

Are the flashers at 03C and 04C (top mid & L Eye, Cats & lower fireworks) working properly? If not, then maybe the A/C select relay (solenoid 12) on the aux power driver board is to blame?

#7 5 years ago

Op didn't mention the upper 2 pops which are also special

Left and Right pops work fine.

So, lets start with basics again: if you ground the tab of the transistor for those five solenoids, do they fire? And to confirm, these are solenoids 03A, 04A, 18, 20, and 21 in the solenoid table?

O3A does not fire
04A does not fire
18 does not fire
20 does not fire
21 - fires

Are the flashers at 03C and 04C (top mid & L Eye, Cats & lower fireworks) working properly?
Yes

#8 5 years ago

Bump for help

#9 5 years ago

It sounds like a wiring issue to me. If the flashers fire for 03 and 04, that means the board is working correctly. My guess is that all those solenoids are powered by the same wire, and that wire has come loose somewhere.

#10 5 years ago

Are you getting the low voltage at the coils, or are you seeing that at the connection on the board?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Kickout:

O3A does not fire
04A does not fire
18 does not fire
20 does not fire
21 - fires

Are the flashers at 03C and 04C (top mid & L Eye, Cats & lower fireworks) working properly?
Yes

Remove the innerconnect board and look for cracked solder joints on the header pins. If these are fine then check the aux power supply for the same issue.

#12 5 years ago

mskoemon
Getting the low voltage at the coils

Grumpy
I will check both those tomorrow.

#13 5 years ago

Grumpy
Both boards look good, no cracks on solder joints to head pins. Voltage at coils are all around 2 -3 volts tested in attract mode.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Kickout:

Voltage at coils are all around 2 -3 volts tested in attract mode.

Does your aux power supply board have zero ohm resistors on it or metal jumpers?
If it has zero ohm resistors then lock on a non working coil in coil test, then take a jumper wire and place it across each board jumper one at a time and see if the coil fires now.

#15 5 years ago

Grumpy,

Are you talking about W1,W3,and W4? the manual says these are Zero ohm 1/4watt resistors. But on the board these are jumper wires.

#16 5 years ago

Take a pic of the board.

#17 5 years ago

Grumpy,

I final got the pics attached. Hope the help.

Kickout

IMG_1658 (resized).JPGIMG_1658 (resized).JPG

IMG_1659 (resized).JPGIMG_1659 (resized).JPG

IMG_1660 (resized).JPGIMG_1660 (resized).JPG

#18 5 years ago

Have you replaced F-4 yet. I have seen a fuse look and test good but when power was applied it would open up and not pass any current.

#19 5 years ago

Yes, check F4, replaced it with a new fuse, pin starts. Ball Shooter Kick Big, and Boomerang on "A" side do not work. Left and Right Slings and Bottom Jet Bumper do not work. Everything else works.

#20 5 years ago

Grumpy,
When I start the pin the A/C relay clicks on and off over and over. When I did this test:
To test the solenoid A/C select relay. take your aligator test wire and connect it to the metal tab on transistor Q8 (Big Guns or later). Then with the game on and in attract or diagnostic mode, touch the other end of the aligator clip to the ground strap in the backbox. You should hear the A/C select relay click on and off on the Auxiliary power driver board. It stops clicking when I touch ground. This is just the opposite of what it say should happen. Am I looking at a bad A/C relay?

#21 5 years ago

Some system 11 games the programming cycles the AC relay in attract mode and some don't. When you do the TIP ground test it stops cycling because you have it energized. Now if you had done this to a power coil it would have burnt a fuse, you should have only briefly touched the ground jumper and then it would have clicked on an off. Now you need to test for voltage on both sides of the f-4 fuse while in coil test for one of the non working coils. Somewhere there is a bad connection on the power side of the non working coils. All the affected coils have the same 50 volts on them. It can be the AC relay points are bad on the 50 volt side. This is hard to test properly.

#22 5 years ago

Grumpy

With J12 on the APS disconnected F4 measure good on both sides of the fuse. Plug in J12 and F4 blows. Would you recommend disconnecting the non working coils and then reconnect one at a time. Would I be able to find the bad one that way? Or could I put a jumper from each pin on J12 to it matching connector and test that way?

#23 5 years ago

I did not know you had J12 disconnected. You need to look for a shorted TIP36a on the aux power supply. It will correlate to one of the non working coils.

#24 5 years ago

I tested all of the Tips and all gave identical readings.

#25 5 years ago

Then remove 1J11, 1J12 and 1J19 from the cpu board, install 5J12 on the aux p/s and install a good fuse in F-4. Power up and see if the fuse burns now.

#26 5 years ago

Fuse does not blow.

#27 5 years ago

With the game on in attract mode check all 22 solenoid Tips for ground on the metal tab.

#28 5 years ago

I did check all tips to ground. The Bottom Jet Bumper Q77 fired when tested, but not working in game play. The Right and Left Slings did not fire Q69 and Q71. The Boomerang Q24 did not fire. The Ball Shooter Kickbig Q32 did not fire.Have a bigger issue now, U50 on the CPU started smoking. Turn the pin off right away. Going to pull the board and bench test U50, and see if there is any damage to the back of the board.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

check all 22 solenoid Tips for ground on the metal tab.

I mean check the resistance to ground with an ohm meter. Any thing below .600 meg is a problem.

Quoted from Kickout:U50 on the CPU started smoking.
This is most likely part of the original problem anyway.

#30 5 years ago

You are correct the original problem is most likely connected to U50. I am going to start tracking and testing items connected directly to U50

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.