Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Jasontaps
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 59 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0949.JPG
IMG_0947.JPG
IMG_0954.JPG
IMG_0946.JPG
IMG_0939.JPG
f73f8dce-16eb-46d1-9f9b-fe87079affde_400.jpg
IMG_0937.JPG
IMG_0935.JPG
IMG_0933.JPG
IMG_0934.JPG
IMG_0932.JPG
IMG_0930.JPG
IMG_0929.JPG
IMG_0922.JPG
IMG_0920.JPG
IMG_0873-862.JPG

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

This is my first restore that i'm documenting here.
I picked up this cyclone that needs a lot of attention.
The cab isn't too bad but the head needs a lot of work.
I'm doing a full cab repair and automotive repaint,new CPR playfield with plastics,new ramps,new ribbon cables and a lot of other odds and ends.
First i wanted to make sure the game worked before sinking all this time and $ into it.
Well it didn't...turned out he cpu had a bad irq line.i traced it to a bad u35,i replaced that and the game fired up and mostly worked.
So now i am clear to tear it down.

IMG_0705.JPG IMG_0709.JPG IMG_0710.JPG IMG_0711.JPG
#2 5 years ago

Not sure why the pics are tilted on their sides.
Cab is now stripped,and playfield on the rotisserie.
This playfield is WORN.

IMG_0755.JPG IMG_0756.JPG IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0757.JPG
#3 5 years ago

Did some wire cleaning today.
Before and After pics

IMG_0774.JPG IMG_0779.JPG
#4 5 years ago

You picked a good game to work on with new plastics and playfield for sale

#5 5 years ago

Some new parts waiting to go in.

IMG_0761.JPG
#6 5 years ago

Something I learned after stenciling my Cyclone cab...It's much easier to line up if you cut it into sections. A full piece cab stencil is almost impossible to line up correctly with the first applied color. I'm still doing touch-ups here and there months later. Good luck!

#7 5 years ago

Yeah it is getting pricey though to get it as nice as i am hoping to get it to.

#8 5 years ago

Nice. Good time to restore this PIN, just about everything is now available. I did full swap/restore a litte over a year ago. Still need to replace my ramps, but the rest is "cherry".

I posted a few of my updates here:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-clubmembers-only

If i can help in anyway, let me know. Really enjoyed working on my Cyclone....

#9 5 years ago

Todd, what kind of paint did you use?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from theseadoomaster:

Yeah it is getting pricey though to get it as nice as i am hoping to get it to.

That is a problem with Cyclone....You can easily put more $$$ into it then its worth on the market. I'm probably at that $$$ amount now.

#11 5 years ago

That playfield is pretty rough. Head on mine is a bit rough too. Your cab looks a bit better though. Being following this thread for sure. Still thinking of doing a playfield swap on mine. At least a majority of the parts are readily available except for the Ferris Wheel return ramp. Good luck.... great pin

#12 5 years ago

Wow, that's some playfield wear on the lower part. I'm assuming the mylar was removed at some point? I'm going to remove mine, touch it up and clear it. I'm wondering if that wear happened during an improper removal. Definitely makes me nervous to do mine.

#13 5 years ago

It looks to me that the wear is just from abuse and not cleaning probably ever.
There is mylar at the top of the playfield but i cant find any evidence of it on the lower section.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

That is a problem with Cyclone....You can easily put more $$$ into it then its worth on the market. I'm probably at that $$$ amount now.

That's kinda what i'm afraid of because i will more than likely sell it after the restore.
I get more joy out of repairing them than hanging on to them.
I hope to break even on this one but we will see.
Not the first time i've lost money on a machine.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from theseadoomaster:

Todd, what kind of paint did you use?

I used an oil based one from Lowes for the black with an HPLV sprayer and rattle canned the yellow and orange. The base coat took forever to dry (6 days) before I could apply the first stencil. If do another, I will definitely use a base paint that would dry quicker. I was surprised about how good the rattle can worked and it dried very fast.

#16 5 years ago

Yeah..Watch the $$$. I had an offer recently for $2500. At that $ point, I recover my investment $'s (plus bank maybe $200), but dont get anything for my time. I don't really see the market bearing more than that (there always somebody, but how long). Mine was a labor of love, so not really worried about flipping it or making money.

At this point, i think i have more new than old in my machine. It was nuts, everytime i dug into it i found something else (or it would run for a few months, and something else would give out).

Once you get done, you might want to keep it. With the new CPR clearcoated playfield, the game really speeds up..

#17 5 years ago

Can't wait to see the process! Godspeed !
-mof

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Once you get done, you might want to keep it. With the new CPR clearcoated playfield, the game really speeds up..

We will see, I've had one before and like it but i get bored playing most pins pretty quickly.
For me it's about working on them that gives me more satisfaction.

#19 5 years ago

If you need anything parts wise let me know. I have almost the entire bottom part of the playfield in a box in my garage. Good luck with the resto.

#20 5 years ago

I'm in for the viewing pleasure.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

I'm in for the viewing pleasure.

Nice avatar. From the good ole days...

#22 5 years ago

This is the part i don't care for much sanding, filling ,sanding ,primer ,filling ,sanding and eventually paint

IMG_0780.JPG IMG_0781.JPG
#23 5 years ago

I feel your pain, brother. My garage floor is still orange and yellow.

#24 5 years ago

More pics of the cab, im trying to get the corners as sharp as possible.
More work to do on the back then on to the head!

IMG_0782.JPG IMG_0787.JPG IMG_0788.JPG IMG_0790.JPG IMG_0794.JPG
#25 5 years ago

Doing this much work on the cab makes me envy those guys that can afford to buy/build a new cab.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Toddzilla:

I feel your pain, brother. My garage floor is still orange and yellow.

The trick is this: Wait until your girlfriend goes out of town and use her garage. Be sure to cover everything with plastic and clean up real good. She will never know. Lol.
During
IMG_20131230_113537_886.jpg
After stealth clean up
IMG_20140101_144706_114.jpg

#27 5 years ago

I have it a little different when we built my house we added a third garage and she knew going into this that she is just renting that third space till I need it.

#28 5 years ago

watch out! you're going to get those corner so sharp that you'll end up cutting yourself when you play the game

nice to see the attention to detail going into this and no "skimping corners" LOL

#29 5 years ago

Still working on the neck section of the lower cab,a little more touch up in this section then on to the head!
I think i am being a little too much of a perfectionist here but a good paint job is 90% prep work.
I was really hoping to get some paint on the cab this week but will probably be next week.

IMG_0795.JPG IMG_0799.JPG
#30 5 years ago

Good luck and keep us posted! That playfield looks it has seen better days. I have a Cyclone in decent shape that I play every day. I am doing a mild shop job on it as we speak.

#31 5 years ago

I like finding things like this,

IMG_0814.JPG
#32 5 years ago

HAPPY times!
Sanding is done!!!
Next week black goes on.

IMG_0816.JPG IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0819.JPG
#33 5 years ago

Looking Good.

#34 5 years ago

Man I wish I had room to redo my cabinet. Gonna be nice when it's done. Nice work.

#35 5 years ago

The whole art package on Cyclone is definitely one of my favorites. The cabinet really pops. Props to you for giving this game some respect, even if it doesn't make financial sense.

#36 5 years ago

Looking good. I'm right behind you on my cabinet. Can I ask what type of primer you are using? High build? Where to buy it? Thanks!

#37 5 years ago

If you don't mind me stepping in Aladdin, let me give you some advice. If you can afford it, go with Hy-Lux primer. Best primer you will ever buy. Spray it using an hvlp. I use a binks #7 gun. It comes thick and you thin with water to whatever consistency you want. It sands beautifully, and if you run through your grits, it will come out as smooth as glass.

I work In film and we run through hundreds of gallons of this stuff on every movie and I swear by it. If a designer wants something to go "as metal" our Propmakers will build it out wood and after a few coats of Hy-Lux I can shoot some metallic and age it and you can not tell it's not real metal. Hope this helps.

#38 5 years ago

I've just ordered a CPR repro playfield, so I will be eager to follow your progress. I have never taken on a playfield swap, so anything you can do to document your experience will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#39 5 years ago

I will be posting Playfield swap pics after I get the cabinet done first,I'm doing one thing at a time to not get too overwhelmed.

#40 5 years ago

No hurry. I can't imagine I'll be getting to it anytime soon.

#41 5 years ago

Finally got some color on the cab today!!
I think it turned out pretty good.
Next i will let it sit overnight then lightly sand out any imperfections then the next color in a day or two.

IMG_0823.JPG IMG_0824.JPG IMG_0825.JPG IMG_0827.JPG
#42 5 years ago

That looks really good. Nice sharp corners. Well done..

#43 5 years ago

Thanks, still a lot of work to be done.

#44 5 years ago

You can do mine when your done! I would, i just do not have the room to do it. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

#45 5 years ago

A little more progress today,This is the first time using a stencil and it worked out pretty well.
It turns out it was really easy,A big initial investment but it will pay off eventually.
The backbox is scuffed up to smooth it out a little,i will be clearing over it eventually.

IMG_0828.JPG IMG_0832.JPG
#46 5 years ago

Didn't realize they had a stencil for the back of the head. Nice.

#47 5 years ago

coming along nicely

1 week later
#48 5 years ago

Finally was able to spray the yellow today!
It turned out really nice.
I initially had problems with the first stencil but Travis at twistedpin hooked me up with a newer version.
A couple of minor touch ups and waiting a week and i will be ready for the orange.

IMG_0843.JPG IMG_0844.JPG
#49 5 years ago

Looking nice. Funny to see it without any orange. I so wish I had a place to do my cabinet

#50 5 years ago

Getting the orange to line up is the hard part. I wish I had cut the orange stencil into sections. It will save you time on touch ups. I noticed the HEP fellow did his that way on a Cyclone repaint. Looking good!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside