Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4319 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

dear fellow pinsiders-

I have an potential electrical issue with my Cyclone that is beyond my, admittedly amateur, skills at machine repair. Here's the situation - a year ago, I replaced all lamps (GIs, flashers, inserts) with cointaker LEDs, and up until 2 days ago, all lights worked flawlessly. Now, everytime I hit a flipper, either left or right, half of the flashers on the playfield and half in the backbox momentarily light up.

I've read other related posts in the forums and noticed advice about diodes, auxiliary power boards, flasher PCBs, warming resistors and even straight-up incompatibility of flasher LEDs with system 11 machines. My situation is different in that the flashers have been working fine until recently, but now the flippers seem to be sending electricity to half of the flashers - this would lead my highly scientific mind to think that something has died or is in the process (fuse, resistor, etc?)

Anyone have an idea or 2 of where I should start looking?

p.s. all single coil/flasher tests check out in test mode

#2 5 years ago

The flipper circuits are quite separate from the flasher circuits. My first thought is you have a wire short somewhere...this is a problem I have not ever heard of. My first suggestion is to perform the coil tests and look for any oddities there (the flasher circuits are considered as coils, and some are multiplexed) Might be a good idea to also perform switch tests. There are scoring switches associated with the flipper circuits.

This is to gather some info, if we can't quickly identify what is not working - we can start by collecting some data on what IS working correctly. Photos might be another step (photos of flipper mechs and cab switches, perhaps CPU board)

Flashers usually require the warming resistors removed from the flasher drive circuits, was this done?

#3 5 years ago

Thank you wayout440 - I'll continue to gather evidence here to try and provide more focus - although this could be one of those needle in a haystack problems. I have run through the coil tests and all of the kickers/coils and flashers test out correctly - no oddities to report. Also, the flashers still work just fine and light up as programmed during gameplay and attract.

During the switch level test, I'm getting 2 hits back - a 10-point leaf switch (37) and Outhole (10). i'm gonna check these out for a short.

I have re-seated all connectors on the CPU, aux power, flasher drive boards as well. I did not remove the warming resistors on the flasher drive PCB mainly because the LED flashers worked just fine on day 1 of install. I do have a suspicion that these resistors are failing and allowing enough juice to get through when hitting the flippers (again amatuer theory there). I guess it wouldn't hurt anything to cut them out as a start(?)

1 week later
#4 5 years ago

could someone help point out which resistors on this board that I should remove to (hopefully) solve my question?

IMG_4319 (resized).jpgIMG_4319 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-flippers-and-flashers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.