Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

relay1.png
IMG_20151014_100030.jpg
IMG_20151014_100024.jpg
IMG_20151014_100011.jpg
IMG_20151009_180444.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Working on a project Cyclone I recently picked up - you all were very helpful last time I had a question so I figured I'd try here again. I have the machine up and running after relocating the battery box. However, the flippers only work intermittently. When they don't work, there is often (but not always) a loud buzzing coming from what I believe is relay K1 on the CPU board (the orange/yellow box in the photo below). If I lightly tap this relay, or restart the machine, eventually the flippers will start working again.

I have a feeling someone more experienced than me knows what's going on here. I have a DMM at my disposal, what can I do to further diagnose (and fix) this issue? Any help is much appreciated!

IMG_20151009_180444.jpgIMG_20151009_180444.jpg

#2 8 years ago

It's fairly common for this part to get cracked solder leads from the vibration it makes turning on and turning off.

Quoted from S0RRY: If I lightly tap this relay, or restart the machine, eventually the flippers will start working again.

This is a clue that this may be the case, and usually all that it needs is for the part to be reflowed with new solder. If you have the skills and tools it's an easy fix.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks wayout! I do have a soldering iron and while I've only soldered the battery relocation and a new coil, I think I might be able to handle it. I assume I'll need to remove the CPU board again to tell for sure, correct?

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from S0RRY:

Thanks wayout! I do have a soldering iron and while I've only soldered the battery relocation and a new coil, I think I might be able to handle it. I assume I'll need to remove the CPU board again to tell for sure, correct?

Yes, carefully remove the board and flip it over, sometimes you can wiggle the part and see the leads are broken, or look at it with a magnifying glass. If none of the leads are broken the part could also be broken internally, in which case it would need to be replaced. Good luck, hopefully just a broken solder connection.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks again wayout, I really appreciate the help. I pulled the board and noticed that nothing seems to be loose, corroded or broken. I've attached pics in case I've missed anything. I'm thinking at this point it might be worth it just to replace the relay?

IMG_20151014_100011.jpgIMG_20151014_100011.jpg

IMG_20151014_100024.jpgIMG_20151014_100024.jpg

IMG_20151014_100030.jpgIMG_20151014_100030.jpg

#6 8 years ago

Yeah, easy and cheap enough to replace. Sometimes it looks fine underside, but the leads could crack on the topside of the board or internally to the part, where a visual will never see it, and moving parts like this can simply wear out. There are a couple of upstream components that could be involved, such as Q67 nearby. Still, K1 relay is the *most likely * culprit - and you have to start somewhere

#7 8 years ago

Thanks, for $15 or whatever the relay costs, I think I'll just go with that option. Appreciate your help!

Edit: can someone confirm this is the correct relay? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5580-09555-01

#9 8 years ago

Got it - I have a lot to learn!

Thanks for all of your help.

1 week later
#10 8 years ago

I finally got around to replacing this, and now another relay (I think "Relay, DPDT, 13A on the Aux Power Unit Driver board) is making the same loud buzzing noise on startup, and in general the machine acts strange. The machine will power up, GI comes on, and I can start a game, however power seems very diminished - the ball return coil isnt powerful enough to kick the ball into the shooter lane, flippers dont work, etc.

Any ideas on how I can figure out what's actually going on? It seems very odd that the other relay would just stop working after replacing the first.

This is the relay that is now buzzing:

relay1.pngrelay1.png

#11 8 years ago

That's your A/C relay. Now that you mention the lack of power on the solenoids, did you go through the power supply before you started this and checked it's overall health? (measured to see if in specs with a DMM/voltmeter)

#12 8 years ago

I didn't do that - the machine had been working (except for the intermittent flippers and another GI issue that I believe is unrelated), but I noticed low power on startup before removing the MPU to replace the flipper relay. Sounds like my next step is to check the Power Supply.

That would entail checking both the large box on the bottom of the cabinet as well as the board with the large heatsink on it, correct? I've also heard the bridge rectifiers (I believe those gray squares on the board pictured) can be a problem area - anything I should do to check those while I'm in there?

Thank you!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from S0RRY:

That would entail checking both the large box on the bottom of the cabinet as well as the board with the large heatsink on it, correct?

Large box in cabinet? You mean transformer...no, at least not at this time. Most important, make sure logic power is spot on and getting over to the MPU. IJ17 Pins 4,5,6 = +5.03 VDC @8.1 mV AC ripple is a good start. TP3 on the D-8345 power supply board should not go less than 10.5VDC or intermittent resets can happen. Most of the other stuff is not as important, such as the display voltage - unless you were having a problem with those (should be +90 to +110 VDC)

Quoted from S0RRY:

bridge rectifiers (I believe those gray squares on the board pictured) can be a problem area - anything I should do to check those while I'm in there?
Thank you!

BR1 and BR2 show test points in the schematics. If there are no test points, just check for +25VDC at F1 and +50VDC at F4

#14 8 years ago

Great information, thank you! Wayout - you've been insanely helpful. I'm grateful to have this place as a resource, otherwise I'd be spending a lot more on troubleshooting this machine.

I'll give those test points a try next time I get a block of time to put into the machine.

Thanks!

3 weeks later
#15 8 years ago

I finally got some time to work on this, however, I have a few questions.

I tested with the machine on, with connector IJ17 unplugged and I was testing the pins on the MPU. I had the multimeter set on the 20 VDC setting (is this correct?).

I tested with the black lead on one of the ground pins (1, 2, 3 - mostly used pin 1) and the red lead on 4/5/6/8/9. The readings did not match the schematic:

Pin 4: 5V specified, 0.5V measured (assuming the aforementioned multimeter setting was correct)
Pin 5: 5V specified, 0.5V measured
Pin 6: 5V specified, 0.5V measured
Pin 8: -12V specified, -0.4V measured
Pin 9: 12V specified, 5.6V measured

Assuming I tested correctly, it seems like the voltages are a problem here. I will continue to test the other points Wayout mentioned, but I want to make sure my methodology is sound.

Thanks!

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from S0RRY:

I tested with the machine on, with connector IJ17 unplugged and I was testing the pins on the MPU.

With IJ17 unplugged, you won't get a measurement on the pins on the MPU, because IJ17 connector is how the power gets to the MPU.

#17 8 years ago

Oh, okay. Forgive the stupid question, but how can I test the pins with the connector plugged in? On the solder side of the MPU? Thanks again, as always!

#18 8 years ago

There is a test point pin near the speech ROMs for +5VDC logic power, that's all you really need there.
For +12VDC and -12VDC, I would just test this right at any of the 8 pin 1458 op amp ICs, pin 4 is -12 and pin 8 is +12, both unregulated.

#19 8 years ago

TP2 (which I believe is the one near the speech roms you mention) is reading +5VDC, and the TP's on the power board tested for the correct readings also. When looking for the 1458 8 pin amp IC (had to google that one), I went to test one and noticed corrosion all over the legs. I don't think I did a sufficient enough job cleaning it off when relocating the battery pack, and when I touched the DMM lead to one of the legs the machine's condition seemed to change. I was able to get a game started with the coils firing at what seemed to be full power.

I think I'm going to take the MPU board back out and give it a much better cleaning and see if that improves things.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from S0RRY:

I think I'm going to take the MPU board back out and give it a much better cleaning and see if that improves things.

Maybe. Good Luck though. Once corrosion migrates up into component bodies, the only way to fix is to replace the affected components. But you do have to get all the alkaline off the board to have any chance at long term reliability.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-flipper-relay-buzzing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.