Cyclone ferris wheel stops after 10 minutes and buzzes

By YouWithTheFace

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

My first PINSIDE post...

My Cyclone ferris wheel runs for ten minutes, it makes an audible "chug-chug-chug" noise whenever running.

It stops after 10 minutes, unrelated to ball entering ferris wheel lane. When it stops, it makes an audible humming/buzzing noise.

If the ball enters the ferris wheel lane when it is stopped, game goes into "search mode", buzzing sometimes goes away and after a few minutes, ferris wheel starts rotating.

I read the 3 year old thread on this topic, SQUAREIC had the same symptoms and fixed the problem by reflowing the solder contacts on the relay board.

I tried re-flowing the solder on the relay board but it made no difference to my problem.

Can anyone tell me the symptoms of a bad ferris wheel motor or have any other ideas?

#2 6 years ago

Have you replaced the belt that drives the wheel? The belt gets stretched/dried out and does not turn the wheel like it use to. I changed mine, and it works every time now.

#3 6 years ago

Tablewicked,

Yes, I replaced the belt that drives the ferris wheel.

I just tried re-flowing the solder again on the relay board, no improvement.

I think my motor is old and needs replacing anyway, so I will try that next. It is original and makes probably more noise than it should.

Anyone with experience fixing an intermittent running ferris wheel problem I would love to hear about it.

#4 6 years ago

I was fiddling with my Ferris wheel recently. I didn't have your exact problem. But if you plan to replace the motor and/or pulley, you may have to shim the two parts. Click and scroll to the bottom of the page...

http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/cyclone/repair/repair.html

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from JeffZee:

I was fiddling with my Ferris wheel recently. I didn't have your exact problem. But if you plan to replace the motor and/or pulley, you may have to shim the two parts. Click and scroll to the bottom of the page...
http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/cyclone/repair/repair.html

Damn Jeff. I wish you were in Chicago, I would entice you over to restore my Cyclone with money, hookers, pinball parts ect.

Thanks for your link, I will refer to it when I replace the ferris wheel motor...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-ferris-wheel-stops-after-10-minutes-and-buzzes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.