Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by edwood
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

#cyclone Williams Cyclone, system 11B: The top segment on the player 2 display unit has gone out (I believe it's the 'a' segment). That's a 7 character, alphanumeric display. It had been working until I did some work on loose display units. The brightness is still good in the unit and all the other segments are working fine, and all the other displays are working fine, so I suspect its one of the ICs. My limited research seems to indicate it could be one of the 4050 or UDN7180 chips. Where I could use some assistance is which chip is for player 2, segment a? My reading of the schematic seems to indicate it's the U2 chip (4050), and if not that, then maybe the U12 (UDN7180). Given the issue is limited to the player 2 display, can anyone offer some guidance on which chip would be the likely culprit?

#2 2 years ago

If it is limited to the player 2 display I would guess it is either a connection or glass issue with the display itself as player 1 and player 2 share the same segment driver. Check for continuity between player 1, pin 1 glass and player 2, pin 1 glass. If you have a good connection it could be the lead going into the glass is broken or not making good contact. Hope this helps.

1 week later
#3 2 years ago

Since Player 1 and Player 2 displays can (do) show independent information, isn't one of those chips I mentioned (part U2) specific to driving the segments in Player 2? I've checked the leads going into the glass, they all look good. And I touched up all the solder connections on the glass leads as well.

Still thinking I might have fried one of the chips on the display board when I was monkeying around with the board. Hoping someone could confirm the chip part numbers involved specific to Player 2.

#4 2 years ago

Segment 'a' is driven by U12 pin 14 for both players 1 and 2. Check for connection at U12, pin 14 to R4 on the top. Then from the bottom of R4 to pin 1 on the display (should be connected to pin 1 on both players 1 and 2) If you have connection to the display leads it's likely the lead has broken in or near the glass itself.

2 months later
#5 2 years ago

I have the top segment out on the player 4 display on a Cyclone. Even glancing through schematics I couldn't figure out which components were in question...
Could someone let me know what I would check for that one? And if it IS only on player 4, would the suspicion be that it's the lead to to the GLASS of the display that's likely the culprit vs any components?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Rutledge, PA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-display-segment-out-in-player-2?hl=edwood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.