pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0358 (resized).JPG
IMG_0356 (resized).JPG
IMG_0357 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steve8091.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1201 2 years ago

Hi everyone. I have an issue with my ferris wheel. Long story short, the under-playfield relay isn't clicking. I have replaced the relay board (the original one was an interesting hack-job) and Q6 on the driver board, which was bad. I do get 31V at the driver board, but the relay just isn't firing. Any suggestions?

4 months later
#1316 2 years ago

Hey everyone - wondering if I could find some help here on my Ferris wheel. I tried to work on it a few months back, but hit a dead end. Here is where I am. It stopped working, and after some troubleshooting I found that the previous owner had cobbled together a goofy custom relay board for it. I suspected that, so I swapped it with a newly-purchased board, but this didn't fix the issue. I tested and found Q6 to be bad, so I replaced that as well, but this didn't fix the issue either. It's not a mechanical problem - it's that ultimately the motor isn't getting power. I do get 31V at the relay board, but the relay doesn't energize (even when I short the Q6 transistor). From what I understand, this indicates that it is likely a connection problem. I'm assuming that this means a problem with the brown/gray wire coming from the aux board? I've traced that and I don't see anything obvious at the connectors. I'm kind of at a loss at this point - I'm not smart enough with pins to reason through it beyond where I have. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

1 year later
#1674 6 months ago

I created a separate post before realizing I should have posted here:

This is more of a nit that I have with my game, but the skill shot is extremely difficult, and I suspect it may be a setup issue more than a skill issue. It seems like 90% of the time after a shot lighter than enough to clear the ramp altogether, the ball seems to 'stick' and hit the first (10K) slot. I can't tell quite what is happening (I might take a slow motion video to try to help), but it seems that if the small metal ramp leading up to the skill shot were misaligned, it could hit the gate off-center and 'stick'. I feel like this has gotten worse over time (or maybe I have!), and just wondering if anyone else has run into and resolved this (or a similar) issue.

#1677 6 months ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

I think you’re describing something my game did at first when I got it and also one I played in league recently.
If you look at the two lower tips of the wire form as they sit on the blue plastic of the skill shot area, they need to be resting on the blue plastic and not hovering just above it. When they won’t sit down far enough, it is because of where the top two tips are. Look closely and make sure the left side top tip is UNDER the top of the metal gate bracket.
Do you know what I mean?
I don’t have access to all my game photos but I’ll add a couple later if you need it.
Just check to see that those lower two tips are not hovering above the blue plastic surface when they need to be touching. The lower tips are angled so if the ball gets to them, it rolls down that last half inch and into the first hole. If they hover, there’s just enough space for the ball to hang up and not roll back into the shooter lane and not fall into the first hole. On my game it was because that top left tip needed to be under the wire gate bracket instead of on top of it.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I took a look, and the wire form does sit flush on the blue plastic ramp. What I DID notice (and hadn't noticed in the 10-ish years that I've had this game) is that my monorail plastic is mounted on the WRONG SIDE OF THE BLUE RAMP! Meaning it was mounted on the left-hand screw of each of the gates. Seems a likely culprit (will have to wait until morning to test). Okay, so now that I want to move it to the correct place on the right side, I'm presumably going to need some longer screws and some sort of spacer between the gates and the plastic? Would anyone mind (at your leisure) sending me pics of that area so that I can try to piece together what I need to get?

#1686 6 months ago

After putting my monorail plastic on the right side, I took a couple of slow-mo videos to try to figure out why I can't seem to hit the skill shot anymore (there was a time when I could). It seems like the ball has a tendency (particularly when hit lightly) to hook sharply to the left. Thinking through it, it seems like there could be a number of causes: machine out of level (checked), ramp sagging to the left / out of level, shooter rod off center to the right, wireform misaligned / warped, uneven wear on ramp, etc. Anyone else have this issue?

Weak shot:

(sorry, for some reason this one converted to full speed; view at 0.25x on YouTube to see)
Strong shot:

#1699 6 months ago
Quoted from tgen:

The bottom gate looks like it's wedged open. The ball could be hitting it and rattling around on the slow shot and blowing past it on the fast shot. Try switching it with one of the other functional gates and test it again.

Yeah, I did that intentionally to rule that out, and I didn’t set it back when I took the video. I got it solved - among a few other tweaks, I put a very slight bend in the wireform to direct it more to the right (specifically, bending the mounting screws slightly to the left) and now it is working smoothly again. We have a winner!

#1706 6 months ago

So I have a (potentially bad) idea to design/print sticker to go over the top portion of the ferris wheel ramp, using the same sort of 'tree design' that's on the lower plastics in that area. It just seems like that side could use the same pop of color that the skill ramp brings to the right side of the game. I've put together a really crappy concept sketch below. Would like to get general thoughts and/or ridicule. And, does anyone have experience (or preferably, ability) in doing the printing? Obviously I did some Googling and found all of the normal options, but I was wondering if anyone could do something a bit better than inkjet to try it out.

cyclo_pf_render (resized).jpgcyclo_pf_render (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1716 6 months ago

I printed prototypes of the Ferris wheel ramp stickers, to add some color to the left side of the machine. I made them separate pieces as a mock-up because I was able to do it for almost no cost, but the full design would be a single piece. I am pretty pleased with the result. Cheers!

IMG_4048 (resized).jpegIMG_4048 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steve8091.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-clubmembers-only?tu=steve8091 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.