pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0358 (resized).JPG
IMG_0356 (resized).JPG
IMG_0357 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pablito350.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#722 5 years ago

Cyclone is our first pin too, thought I would be happy with just that, but we caught the bug.
We were lucky that our machine came with the flags.

sadiecyclone (resized).jpgsadiecyclone (resized).jpg
2 months later
#761 5 years ago

Welcome to the club! Your story sounds like mine, although I was 12 playing at our local pool. To own this machine was a dream that I never thought would come true. I can completely understand and feel your elation! You are going to have many happy days playing and maintaining this game. Fair warning though, you will probably catch the bug and want more machines!
-Chrissi

1 month later
#767 4 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Anyone know the part number for the high voltage switches for the flippers? I could use some new ones, Thanks!

EOS switch
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7811

Cabinet switch
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SW-10A-48

2 months later
3 months later
#832 4 years ago

We acquired our first pin Cyclone just over a year ago. It was an absolute dream come true for me. A pie in the sky that I never thought would happen. I told Paul it would be the last thing we sell if we needed money.
After a year of enjoying this brutally fun game against each other, we had a masterfully played game tonight.
He hit the jackpot for 2.5 million, with me saying he should get the Comet million shot for good measure (we've never done that). He got close, but didn't get it.
My next ball I proceed to fulfill what I told Paul to accomplish. Jackpot and million on Comet,on the same ball, but since he got the jackpot before me, mine was low and I didn't hit the goddamn skillshot, so he beat me by 11k.
A good night for pinball.
Damn, I love this game.
-Chrissi
IMG_20191018_205450496 (resized).jpgIMG_20191018_205450496 (resized).jpg

#835 4 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Sounds like a good game! “It’s more fun to compete!”
Cyclone has some good challenges that keep me coming back: the “combo” (left flipper to Cyclone shot to right flipper, right flipper to Comet shot to right flipper, right flipper to Ferris Wheel shot to left flipper, and repeat), the 7x bonus jingle, the million point shot, the DOUBLE SCORE million point shot fanfare (only done that once in 7 years of owning it). Good game.

This is so impressive! You are on levels far above us- something we will shoot for, cheers!

11 months later
#894 3 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

Keroppi, thanks for this. I just joined the club and am tearing into the machine as we speak.
Quick question (apologies in advance if this has been covered). On the back wall of the playfield there are six bulbs for the Ride the Comet bonus. On either side there are amber domes. Are they functional or just there? I don’t see anything on the coil list that refers to them.
[quoted image][quoted image]

They're flashers.

And congrats! Cyclone is an awesome game!

#897 3 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

Thanks for verifying that. I have been able to get the right one to work but not the left using the same bulb and socket. I’ll keep working at it - too bad it’s tucked away back there where it’s hard to get at.

The left one takes a 906 bulb. It's easier to change with the playfield up on the prop rod, and reach over the top of the playfield to get at it.

-Paul

11 months later
#1214 2 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

Thinking about selling my Cyclone .....

You'll miss it!

-Paul

2 weeks later
#1228 2 years ago
Quoted from byurick:

First time using insert stickers. Do you clean, wax then apply the stickers or is it clean, apply sticker and then wax?

On our Cyclone I cut out whatever was left of the old insert artwork, cleaned it, and stuck on the stickers. It's been a few years, a lot of plays, and still looks great.

-Paul

#1231 2 years ago

That's a damn good question....

I think we got them from Planetary Pinball because we were buying parts for a few machines at the same time, and I think I got them there.

-Paul

#1237 2 years ago

It's impossible for us to tell you what colors your cabinet now are The red color ranges from a bright poppy red to a pale orange depending on how much it's faded over the years. Same with the yellow.

Just pick out colors that match the existing colors the best.

As far as stenciling goes it's fairly straight forward. Use light coats just enough to get coverage. For bright colors like Cyclone has I'd mist on a coat of white first to reduce the color coats needed to get the color right.

If you're looking for a spray can recommendation I like the Rustoleum 2x brand. Lots of colors available, inexpensive, and lays down well. I've had good luck with it.

Hope this helps!

-Paul

3 months later
#1315 2 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

I recorded some gameplay footage of my Cyclone and tracked all of the shots against the rules.
It’s pretty tedious to do, but it’s also really insightful. I’ve had this machine for 10 years, but I never realized that the Ferris Bonus is on a timer, or for that matter even how the Ferris Bonus is activated! I think it’s pretty cool to see the timers run during gameplay. I kind of suspected that those timers pause during certain shots (like when you hit into the Spookhouse or when the ball is making it’s way around a ramp), and I definitely confirmed that. The game does a really good job of warning you about timed shots expiring and showing exactly when a shot expires…if you’re paying attention and know what to look for (I didn’t before, not until I spent hours tracking this footage against the rules).
I’ve got a bit more love for Cyclone now than I did before. Feels a little bit more frantic now that I pay more attention to the timed shots.

Rules are posted on pinball.org and JeffZee site:
http://pinball.org/rules/cyclone.html
http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/cyclone/rules/rules.html

That was a great watch! Thanks for your effort in doing it. I've been playing Cyclone since I was 12 and I learned things I didn't know before- Cheers!
Chrissi

#1319 2 years ago
Quoted from TRAILBLAZER:

Just picked up my first pin, and it's a cyclone! Took me a few weeks to catch up on this awesome thread. The family and I have been enjoying it a bunch. Overall this thing is clean, plays well and is in pretty great shape. The only thing is there are some lights out. I checked the fuses and bulbs. Where is the appropriate place to post a question to maybe get some insite? I did notice that the 1J18 on my board doesn't have anything plugged into it and maybe there was also a work around done on this battery box?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome to the addiction! Cyclone was our first pin as well! Nice to see a local with good taste Cheers!
Chrissi & Paul

3 months later
#1333 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

That looks like the opto board for the drop target assembly.

It sure does.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-11903
http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/index.html?http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/sy111dt.html
https://www.thepinballwizard.net/index.php?p=product&id=2022

It uses a 6-pin molex like the one that's loose in the cab.

My glass measures the same size as yours.

Hope this helps

-Paul

#1336 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I am sorry to bother you with one more question... looking at my mpu board. It looks to be in great shape, no battery damage and I suspect it has never actually been used as the connectors are perfect and does not appear the roms and the processor chips were ever installed.
Does anyone know of a good source? I have no ability to burn my own.[quoted image]

There's a TON of battery corrosion damage on that board. A LOT!

Look at the area around U41, U42, U51,U54, and all the areas around those chips. All of that cloudy, whiteish looking stuff is corrosion. It extends pretty far down the board (Or up the way the board is in your picture). There's a TON of work to be done there, and IMHO just isn't worth it. I'd say that board is toast, and that's why the ROM's were pulled off it.

I strongly suggest taking a look at this thread where an awesome pinsider is reproducing these boards. They're top-notch!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/15#post-6831419

Good luck!

-Paul

1 week later
#1338 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

however in the back is a long thin green one with a red top that I am missing most of. Does anyone have a scan or photo?

The T-shaped one to the right of the ferris wheel? I know ours is broken as well, but I'll have to see if I have another one.

The big clown is just a promo piece. Some have made toppers out of it.

Good choice giving up on that MPU. It's really bad!

I've heard nothing but good things about Dumbass' boards.

-Paul

1 month later
#1371 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Also, from a purely mechanical issue, does the target drop just because of gravity? No spring or anything pulling it down.. seems kind of strange. I can't tell if I am missing an assembly or not, I don't see it detailed in the manual.[quoted image][quoted image]

Page 14 of the Cyclone parts manual has a detailed list, and image of the drop target assy.

There's a retract spring, and it looks as though you're missing it. Part #:10-364

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-364

Hope this helps

-Paul

5 months later
#1447 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I have a question about lights. I am redoing some missing stuff under the playfield.
Page 44 of the manual says most of the medium socket lamps are #89 flashlamps. Easy enough, but number 15 (Boomerang Flasher) is a #1251
However, under the playfield there are 3 lamps along that insert. Are they all #1251's or just the one on the end?
https://www.ipdb.org/files/617/Williams_1988_Cyclone_Manual_Schematics.pdf

I believe all three are 1251's

-Paul

6 months later
#1559 10 months ago
Quoted from cshelden:

Well, it’s better than 96% finished. It cleaned up really well. I fully stripped the PF. All new posts. LED. Rebuilt the PS. Cleaned up crunchy connectors. Hand-polished flat metal on a buffer wheel. Tumbled the rest including fasteners. Cleaned all the ramps then flame polished, and applied new decals.
Has anyone installed Mirror Blades? Love them on our TAF.
Here are some before and after pics. I polished the Mylar with headlamp and body polish from
McGuire using an orbital buffer and various pads.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That came out great!

Nice work.

-Paul

3 months later
#1675 6 months ago
Quoted from steve8091:

I created a separate post before realizing I should have posted here:
This is more of a nit that I have with my game, but the skill shot is extremely difficult, and I suspect it may be a setup issue more than a skill issue. It seems like 90% of the time after a shot lighter than enough to clear the ramp altogether, the ball seems to 'stick' and hit the first (10K) slot. I can't tell quite what is happening (I might take a slow motion video to try to help), but it seems that if the small metal ramp leading up to the skill shot were misaligned, it could hit the gate off-center and 'stick'. I feel like this has gotten worse over time (or maybe I have!), and just wondering if anyone else has run into and resolved this (or a similar) issue.

Yeah there shouldn't be any sticking issue with the gates. It should be a pure, smooth, simple shot entirely dependent on how hard you plunge. A slo-mo video sure would help to see where it's hitting.

1 month later
#1738 5 months ago
Quoted from BlackbirdXX:

I have a few lights out on my Cyclone that I'd like to replace. Other than a full light kit, where does everyone buy thier bulbs and how do you know which ones to get?

Do not buy any of the bulb kits.

Go to https://www.cometpinball.com/ and do some quick reading. Then select the bulbs you want.

For the GI bulbs I recommend frosted 2smd in either warm white or sunlight for Cyclone. For the inserts I generally color match the bulb to the insert color, but IMHO the blue bulbs are just 'too blue', and awkward looking. 1smd non-ghosting frosted for those, and the backbox.

Using any color bulb other than a white bulb behind any artwork (on translite or plastics) tends to muddle the art, and make everything all pukey.

1 month later
#1756 3 months ago

Walked up and played our Cyclone for the first time in months, and cranked out a 5.6 million without getting the jackpot.

I really like Cyclone.

#1759 3 months ago

The wire splice is no problem.

The mylar is lifting on those spots, and possibly the inserts too. By looking at those pics that Cyclone is due for a serious cleaning, and new rubbers.

If after thoroughly cleaning, and waxing the playfield I say just enjoy the game. If it really bothers you that it isn't glass smooth you can take it to the next step which would be to either:

1- restore the current playfield
2-install a hardtop on it
or
3- find and swap in a new playfield.

Keep in mind that these were never glass smooth even when new. It's only collectors that want the best of the best, and that can get expensive to achieve.

If that were mine I'd strip it down for a deep cleaning, polishing, and waxing to be reevaluated to see what's acceptable to me. If I want a great playing machine I'd finish shopping it out, and enjoy it. If I was looking for perfection I'd be looking to either restore the existing one, or locate a better one.

Good luck!

-Paul

1 month later
#1776 77 days ago
Quoted from BlackbirdXX:

My skillshot seems to be acting a little wonky. If I pull the plunger lightly I can get the ball to drop in the first two holes pretty well but any harder and it seems to get hung up and still land in the first 25k hole. A little harder and the ball shoots all the way past the 5k hole and into the lanes.
It was working very consistently. The only thing I can think that I may have done is (a) play the game and (b) I did lift the play field to replace some lights.
Thanks in advance!

Roll the ball by hand up the skill shot ramp and see what's holding it up. It's got to be hitting something.

1 month later
#1791 45 days ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Issue with the Mystery Wheel: In game it partially spins, stops suddenly, a bunch of 1s flash across the display, and where it lands isn't the right reward. When I take the backglass off and put it into test mode its clearly "wobbling" and making a screeching noise. I haven't yet tried to remove the wheel to see if its simply mounted wrong or if the shaft itself is bent or something. Curious if anyone has any ideas of what I should do to fix this. Do you think I need a whole new motor? If you think I should replace the motor + shaft does anyone know where I can find that assembly? Appreciate any advice!
Here's a quick video of it in test mode showing the wobbling and screeching:

The wheel is working it's way off the shaft of the motor. Push it back in, and gently tighten the allen set screw to keep it there. You can see how far out it is. So far that the shutter wheel is not even close to the optos.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pablito350.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-clubmembers-only?tu=pablito350 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.