pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0358 (resized).JPG
IMG_0356 (resized).JPG
IMG_0357 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JOESCHALL.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1457 1 year ago

Happy to have joined the club with a project Cyclone, which I have almost 100% working. I'm sure I'll be posting questions as I continue my troubleshooting, followed by a restoration. This title proves just how cool a one-ball game can be.

My first question: Are there optos for the ferris wheel, and where are they? I rigged up the proper rubber (not one intended for elsewhere) to run the wheel, and it runs smoothly, but sometimes upon booting the machine it runs backwards. Any explanation?

#1459 1 year ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

I'm going to look at a Cyclone today or tomorrow, I have no idea of the condition or price. Is there a particular assembly or trouble spot or wear spot unique to Cyclone to which I should pay close attention? Thanks

Look at the playfield just in front of (checking for insert cracks or wear) and very closely at the condition of the two major ramps (center and right). Unless the ramps have been replaced with repros, they are almost always cracked at the entrances or other joints. They're obtainable and easy enough to replace, but costly.

#1461 1 year ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

I rigged up the proper rubber (not one intended for elsewhere) to run the wheel, and it runs smoothly, but sometimes upon booting the machine it runs backwards. Any explanation?

Figured out the answer to my own question by visiting an old pinside thread. The ferris wheel was sometimes turning backwards, and the apparent cause was a worn out gear restrictor within the motor. I installed a new motor from marco and now the wheel is always turning the correct direction.

3 weeks later
#1465 1 year ago

I am considering covering my Cyclone playfield with one of the hardtops from http://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/store/p75/Pinball_Playfield_Hardtop.html, but I have never done so before. Two questions: (1) In case I elect a playfield swap instead, is anyone aware of repro playfields that are available? I'm finding them to be out of stock by the usual suppliers. (2) I have some cracked inserts, and once I install the hardtop will the original inserts still appear cracked even after sanding as part of my prep, or is the hardtop thickness such that the cracks won't be noticeable?

Thanks for any insights.

#1468 1 year ago

Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies from PDX_Pinball and Xenon75 as well as the PMs from another pinsider. I will try CPR as well, just in case. As much as a PF swap intimidates me, I have done those before, and because of the insert damage I'm thinking the hard top might not be any easier or achieve the results I want.

#1470 1 year ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I’ve done a playfield swap on my cyclone and it’s actually pretty easy. Take lots of pictures and when you think you’ve taken enough, take a lot more from every angle.

Trust me.

Thanks for the encouragement. That is now my plan--I just have to find a repro playfield. I also have a rotisserie, so that helps as well. The new element to me is dealing with the stapled-down braiding, but there isn't too much of that.

#1472 1 year ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I bought a cheap pneumatic, staple gun in the correct size staples, and just followed the lines under the playfield. I used a existing playfield, not NOS, but way better then the one in my game.

I have the original I took out of it and was going to sand it and install a hard top on it and sell it that way since I didn’t need two….I bought all new inserts to put in it also. Just another project on the back burner….

That swap is easy though. It was my second swap I’ve done.

Again, thanks. Yes, I was just looking the game over and realizing that the swap--minus the braiding--would be not much harder than the AFM and CFTBL PF swaps that I've done.

#1474 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I like the ferris wheel but mine had broken pins and was pretty dull and scratched. I wanted to paint it a candy apple red with glitter to really make it look fancy but I was worried any future owners might want the original so I created a replacement ferris wheel and 3d printed it, then painted the replacement.

It looked great but the clear plastic side seemed a bit unimaginative so I whipped up a graphic using struts from a ferris wheel and stuck it onto the plastic. Now to put on the replacement stickers and it is done!

3d print file on thingverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5763124
its just a little bit bigger than the original as I was reading in this thread about how the ball sometimes doesn't come out when its supposed to.

Very cool. Looks great. Thanks for sharing!

1 week later
#1477 1 year ago

My Cyclone backbox mystery wheel sometimes gives (that is, the clown points to) the correct award and sometimes not. Any insights?

#1479 1 year ago
Quoted from freddy:

Maybe opto or wheel moves shaft( too much play)

Thanks. And I just found a related thread, so I'm reading that through. Will test tonight.

#1481 1 year ago
Quoted from freddy:

While your at it might want to reflow wheel board and connectors .

Good point. Again, thanks!

#1482 1 year ago

It appears that my project Cyclone definitely takes larger coin mechs than usual. Anyone have information to confirm this and, if so, where such mechs are available?

Added 15 months ago:

Resolved--loose coin door.

1 week later
#1490 1 year ago

Nifty work. Congrats!

#1491 1 year ago

Can someone help me determine where the unsoldered end of the yellow wire goes? The other end is soldered to a lug on the EOS switch. The photo is of the right flipper. My lane change function is not working for the right flipper, so I assume the yellow wire is responsible. but I can't figure out where it broke off from.

Cyclone (resized).JPGCyclone (resized).JPG
#1493 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

That is not a very clear picture.
1) if the yellow wire is attached to the lane-change switch then, I would treat it
as a jumper to the other lane-change switch on the other flipper.
1a) If a jumper then I would think it is part of the grn-xx wire switch strobe.

Thanks so much. You are right--a jumper it is. I soldered to the green-xx wire on the other flipper and the problem is solved.

#1494 1 year ago

The millions digit on my Cyclone flashes during game play sometimes, while the other digits roll. Does anyone know why? I thought perhaps it has something to do with achieving one of the ramp jackpots, but I'm not sure.

#1497 1 year ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Yep, that’s it. Millions digit flashes if you’ve scored the Gate Bonus Jackpot on the Cyclone ramp.

Cool. Makes sense. Thanks for confirming! Just reminds me of what a cool pin this is. My favorite one-ball game.

#1499 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I have a question about the backbox wiring. On the left wall is a connector board. On mine, I have connectors in J2,J3,J4,J5,J6 but nothing at the top on J1 (either side)

I noticed it appears to be burned and a couple of pins are gone - I don't see any extra wiring anywhere, it seems pretty strange, what do you guys have?

My Cyclone is routed so I don't have access to it until I check on it this weekend, but mine has the same issue with the same connector pins. I'm pretty sure that J1 relates to the GI in the backbox. In mine, the previous owner obviously (and effectively) bypassed that J1 connector by soldering the related wires together and shrinktubing them. All my lights work, so that fix was effective. I can trace where these "bypass" wires go to and from unless someone has a better answer. Meanwhile, see if all of your backbox lights work and, if so, see if perhaps a previous owner of your machine did the same fix as was done on mine.

#1502 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

that makes sense!
I have 4 wires that are loose and have a crimped connector on them. I am guessing they originally went to J1.
Thanks!

Yup--same four wires. So as long as your GI lights are working you're good.

#1504 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

The interconnect board is there for both convenience of assembly and disassembly. If the wires are crimped in a butt connector then you won't be able to easily remove the backbox insert. For some people that doesn't matter, until you need to remove the backbox insert. Then you're cutting wires.

At the very least, use a detachable (can be disconnected) connector. Perhaps Molex 0.093" pins and housings. If you want a replacement board, I have that board reproduced as well. See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/10#post-6308140 bullet point #3.

Handy advice and hardware as well. Thanks!

#1518 1 year ago

Just got a project Cyclone mostly restored and took it out for a spin. I like to take pins to community events when I find a good match, and in this case I took Cyclone out to a "Night to Shine" prom for special needs kids and adults. It was great to see so many people playing pinball for the first time, and for three hours the machine was never idle and no one was camera shy. A few photos below.

NTS1 (resized).JPGNTS1 (resized).JPGNTS2 (resized).JPGNTS2 (resized).JPGNTS3 (resized).JPGNTS3 (resized).JPGNTS4 (resized).JPGNTS4 (resized).JPG
#1521 1 year ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Awesome! You're a good man!

Thanks. I've taken pins on about 20 outings now, and even though I had a bit of trepidation about this one, it turned out to be the most gratifying of all.

#1527 1 year ago
Quoted from Westsiderkg:

Guys, How do I program my (new to me) cyclone for free play? Appreciate any help.

Number 23 in the AD (adjustments) menu. Once you're there, use the Start button to change "No" to "Yes."

#1528 1 year ago
Quoted from Westsiderkg:

Hi Guys, Does anyone know where I can get custom apron cards like cconway84's machine??? Really like the clean design of these, thanks!!!

My favorite site for free play custom cards is below, in alphabetical order:

http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/instruction/index.htm

2 months later
#1548 12 months ago
Quoted from cshelden:

Im submitting my ticket for admission to the amusement park. Just picked it up.

Congrats. Great machine. Interestingly, I have previously routed RUSH and Led Zeppelin at a local pizza shop, each for a year. But since I started routing Cyclone there a few months ago, its monthly earnings have been double what either of the other Stern titles earned. There really is a nostalgia factor for this title. Enjoy!

5 months later
#1712 6 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Just have to throw in the new ramp after my $12 amazon rivet press comes in... if I can figure it out. Finished the LEDs although threw some incandescent in a few of the inserts due to ghosting issues. Also... this is a powerball machine now... any recommendations on how to mount the 36 year old flags? Thanks all!

Looks great. Nice work! And a powerball. LOL.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JOESCHALL.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-clubmembers-only?tu=JOESCHALL and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.