pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0358 (resized).JPG
IMG_0356 (resized).JPG
IMG_0357 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 6.49.57 PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 7.27.29 AM (resized).png

There are 1,793 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 36.
#301 9 years ago

Cyclone is my first pin and first love. It taught me how to tear down, clean and shop. It taught me how to solder. It started me on this journey and will not leave my side. I had to fold it and store it to get my CV in the lineup, but I can not bring myself to sell it.

#302 9 years ago
Quoted from Olddragon:

On another note... is there anyone contemplating a remake of the Ferris Wheel ramp?

James was going to do it before he retired but I'm not sure he ever got to it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-inc-cyclone-comet-ramp-finally-back-in-stock#post-1382825

Starship Fantasy took over the business but I think its dead in the water (unless someone knows better.)

viperrwk

#303 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

James was going to do it before he retired but I'm not sure he ever got to it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-inc-cyclone-comet-ramp-finally-back-in-stock#post-1382825
Starship Fantasy took over the business but I think its dead in the water (unless someone knows better.)
viperrwk

Exactly! I bought James' other two repro Cyclone abd Conmet ramps and was waiting for the 3rd when he retired. AFAIK there is no one working on a Ferris Wheel ramp.

3 weeks later
#304 9 years ago

Tech question about wiring a new flipper assembly posted here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-wiring-new-cyclone-sys11-flipper-assembly#post-2321618

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 week later
#305 9 years ago

Hi, anyone care to weigh in on this ... 70VDC at the flipper coils (vs. 50VDC expected). Someone told me that's high and I may have a failing component on the AUX PS. Another guy brushed it off and said it was totally normal - peak voltage vs. RMS. Thoughts?

3 weeks later
#306 8 years ago

Fuse F1 for the aux driver board -- cyclone manual says 2A SB, other internet sources show this is 5A SB on other 11B games. I believe it's 25v to the slingshot solenoids.

-mof

4 months later
#307 8 years ago

NEW TO THE CLUB
wanted: Williams Cyclone carousel wheel (part 03-8161) its also used in riverboat gambler and ?.

3 weeks later
#308 8 years ago

anyone have extra parts for the head lock assembly. mine has the long bar that goes from the lock over to the middle of the head, where it drops on the back glass. but i dont have whatever that bar connects to the cam. it must be a little piece of some sort that goes between the bar and lock?? not sure. manual doesnt tell.

1 month later
#309 8 years ago

Just joined the club with a very nice routed example. Must have been broken a lot as the playfield has next to no wear and the grays are actually gray instead of that poop brown color. She is going to need a good tear down and cleanup before she is ready to go but all in all a great example. Was wondering if anyone knows where to get a plastic set as I have more then a couple that could use replacing.

2 months later
#310 8 years ago

I've joined the club! Needs so definite shopping out and for that I need some owners advice.

Firstly the ferris wheel was removed and replaced with a ramp by the operator, I'm restoring it to it's original glory and thankfully they left some of the ferris wheel parts inside the machine. I'm going to need a new motor but could someone send a few detailed pics of the ferris wheel assembly both under and above the playfield as a guide?

Also it looks like I'm missing a board from the back of the backbox lights, could someone send me a pic or any details of that missing board where the arrow is pointing?

Thanks all! Can't wait to ride the cylcone!

missing_board_(resized).jpgmissing_board_(resized).jpg20160121_132636_(resized).jpg20160121_132636_(resized).jpg20160123_141010_(resized).jpg20160123_141010_(resized).jpg

#311 8 years ago

hope this helps

20160125_160133[1]_(resized).jpg20160125_160133[1]_(resized).jpg

20160125_160210[1]_(resized).jpg20160125_160210[1]_(resized).jpg

20160125_160047[1]_(resized).jpg20160125_160047[1]_(resized).jpg

#312 8 years ago

WP_20160126_02_22_04_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160126_02_22_04_Pro_(resized).jpg

WP_20160126_02_22_57_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160126_02_22_57_Pro_(resized).jpg

WP_20160126_02_22_13_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160126_02_22_13_Pro_(resized).jpg

WP_20160126_02_22_36_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160126_02_22_36_Pro_(resized).jpg

WP_20160126_02_24_32_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160126_02_24_32_Pro_(resized).jpg

#313 8 years ago

Shit I was beat to the punch! I was only helping b/c today (or for you yesterday or tomarrow???) Was Mathew Dellavadova Day! Go CAVS! Aussies are #1

#314 8 years ago

Awesome guys thanks a million!! Yep, Australia Day yesterday so public holiday and a day to work on the machines!

Not a cavs fan at all. Celtics all the way in our household

#315 8 years ago

Has anybody had any luck installing replacement comet and cyclone ramps together? I have the comet installed after trimming pop bumper cap if I install the new cyclone ramp the extra thickness of both ramps pushes them to high where they overlap and the glass can't be installed it hits the top of the cyclone ramp

#316 8 years ago

After 3 years of ownership, I think my Cyclone deserves a shop job! Can't wait to get dirty...
-mof

#317 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

After 3 years of ownership, I think my Cyclone deserves a shop job! Can't wait to get dirty...
-mof

How is your tunnel looking? I remember doing the shop on my game, My original tunnel was duct taped, bought mine form BlackBeard and he had bought a new tunnel but never installed it. After doing a complete shop it was a must to do the tunnel. You have LED's in yours? I put CT's in and I love it. Makes me feel like I am 16 years old still working at our local Amusement park Waldermeer.!

#318 8 years ago

Could someone post a photo of the spookhouse coil and the wires soldered to it? Also, can someone tell me if that coil needs to have a diode?

#319 8 years ago

No diode

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#320 8 years ago

Thank you very much! is that 2 brown and a purple wire?

1 week later
#321 8 years ago

Can someone send me pics of the left and right flipper assemblies under the playfield? I have some wonky wiring I have to figure out please and thanks.

018_(resized).JPG018_(resized).JPG

#322 8 years ago

Help! I am looking for the schematics for the Mystery Wheel board. I am getting a check switch 41 error on startup and it doesn't work right when you get the ball into the Spookhouse. So far I have replaced the opto, the caps and the 339. I have metered out the 7805 and the voltages are good.

I have tried IPDB, arcarc and several other archives without success.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ken

#323 8 years ago
Quoted from Yellowdog:

I am looking for the schematics for the Mystery Wheel board.

IPDB has it. Page 6 of this service bulletin:
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/617/Williams_1988_Cyclone_Service_Bulletin_Book_1989_includes_Cyclone_SS47_SS49_SS50_SS52.pdf

#324 8 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Can someone send me pics of the left and right flipper assemblies under the playfield?

That is kind of wonky. You're at least missing the buffer between your EOS and your lane switch. That's hazardous to your MPU and the right lane switch wont be working. Also, looks like somebody forgot their soldering iron on a service call!

I don't have any pictures handy, but you might check out my flipper rebuild video. I filmed it on my Cyclone. Should be able to see my wiring.

#325 8 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

That is kind of wonky. You're at least missing the buffer between your EOS and your lane switch. That's hazardous to your MPU and the right lane switch wont be working. Also, looks like somebody forgot their soldering iron on a service call!
I don't have any pictures handy, but you might check out my flipper rebuild video. I filmed it on my Cyclone. Should be able to see my wiring.
» YouTube video

awesome thanks. will check tomorrow!

#326 8 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Also, looks like somebody forgot their soldering iron on a service call!

You noticed that as well lol! Just starting video

#327 8 years ago

Update on Mystery Wheel. I got the schematics. Thanks. I thought I had downloaded everything Cyclone off IPDB, but that may have been a few years ago as I noticed the manual they have now is a much nicer one than the one I had in my archives.

Anyway. I replaced the opto, the transistor, the diode. All of them tested good, but I replaced them anyway. I replaced the LM339 as well before I knew it wasn't in the circuit. Metered all the resistors. They all checked out in spec. So that covers all components on the Wheel board. All to no effect. Now to track the circuit on the main board. Are we having fun yet?

ken

#328 8 years ago
Quoted from Yellowdog:

Update on Mystery Wheel. I got the schematics. Thanks. I thought I had downloaded everything Cyclone off IPDB, but that may have been a few years ago as I noticed the manual they have now is a much nicer one than the one I had in my archives.
Anyway. I replaced the opto, the transistor, the diode. All of them tested good, but I replaced them anyway. I replaced the LM339 as well before I knew it wasn't in the circuit. Metered all the resistors. They all checked out in spec. So that covers all components on the Wheel board. All to no effect. Now to track the circuit on the main board. Are we having fun yet?
ken

Did you go through the steps on page 31 of the manual?

If so give us the results.

I am a bit confused. You got an Switch 41 Error but you didn't state if that switch was registering before the parts change.

You said you put a bunch of new parts in but if the switch was registering open/close okay before changing parts then changing all that stuff, as you found out, didn't do much.

Starting fresh

Right now does your switch 41 show open and closed when you open and close it?

If Yes or No, than that is a good starting point to point us to what direction we need to go next

#329 8 years ago

My clear plastic piece that goes over the Spookhouse drop target broke today, so I took it off completely. Now everytime I hit the drop target, I get an air ball that smacks the glass and rebounds all the way to the flippers. I know some people don't have the clear plastic over the drop target, so, if you don't, do you get air balls like that? Anybody found a good way to avoid them? Anybody know anybody who can make custom plastic pieces like this?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#330 8 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

My clear plastic piece that goes over the Spookhouse drop target broke today, so I took it off completely. Now everytime I hit the drop target, I get an air ball that smacks the glass and rebounds all the way to the flippers. I know some people don't have the clear plastic over the drop target, so, if you don't, do you get air balls like that? Anybody found a good way to avoid them? Anybody know anybody who can make custom plastic pieces like this?
image_(resized).jpeg

I do not have a clear piece protector. I have about a 5-10% air ball ratio, enough to notice that it happens once in a while but not enough to do anything about it. My flippers are rebuilt, rubbers are superbands, and playfield angle is factory.

#331 8 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Mine never had it, I think those were all added after-market. I've done a full new playfield swap. Still get air-balls about 10-15% of the time. I'm thinking about making one of these to stop the air-balls...

I've never heard of anyway to stop it. Ball is moving fast, and the drop target is relatively close up; and the ball seems to climb up it.

#332 8 years ago
Quoted from Yellowdog:

ken

So what is the Mystery wheel doing (or not doing)?

#333 8 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Mine never had it, I think those were all added after-market. I've done a full new playfield swap. Still get air-balls about 10-15% of the time. I'm thinking about making one of these to stop the air-balls...
I've never heard of anyway to stop it. Ball is moving fast, and the drop target is relatively close up; and the ball seems to climb up it.

If you make one make me one great idea. I'll pay obviously.

#334 8 years ago

I'd buy one too if you're able to make them. I can take some measurements of mine if you want. It worked very well until it broke.

#335 8 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

I'd buy one too if you're able to make them. I can take some measurements of mine if you want. It worked very well until it broke.

Yeah..send me the dimensions. Even better, if you have a scanner...Scan it! I can make a template that way.

I have handmade a few plastic protectors out of Lexan in the past. I'm going to see if I can do a good job replicating this by hand.

#336 8 years ago

If you can make these, I'll buy two!

I never (not once!) had an airball off the drop target before this piece broke. Now it happens consistently. Hits the glass every time.

The piece is about a 1/16" thick. Ruler to help with scaling. Picture above looks like it had a notch cut out of the side next to the Comet ramp to accommodate the lip of the ramp. It's broken now though, so I don't know the dimensions of it. And my Comet ramp is broken too, so I can't tell where the notch is needed.

Cyclone_Spookhouse_Protector_(resized).jpgCyclone_Spookhouse_Protector_(resized).jpg

Cyclone_Spookhouse_Protector_Dimensions_(resized).jpgCyclone_Spookhouse_Protector_Dimensions_(resized).jpg

#337 8 years ago

I just replaced my Comet ramp with the Pinball Inc repro. It wasn't entirely straight forward. Might be old news for some folks since these came out like a year ago, but opi figured I'd document my experience...

Two places required rivets--the blue flash lamp bracket at the top of the ramp and the little protector for the early exit above the pop bumpers. I used a Dremel to grind off the lip of the rivets and then punched them out with a small screwdriver. I don't have any riveting tools, so I used pinbits.com press rivets on the new ramp. They're not as good as real rivets, but they're adequate for this job.

I had fitment problems at the entrance of the ramp. The new ramp is thicker than the original, and that's great, but it made things a bit difficult. I had to Dremel out a large notch in the lower left pop bumper cap to accommodate the ramp. I also had to shave off a bit of the ramp wall at entrance of the ramp to clear the left playfield post. It's a tight squeeze between the playfield rubbers, but it does fit. The thicker ramp entrance means the ramp flap isn't as flush with the playfield as the old one was. I could have sanded down the playfield where it meets the ramp, but decided I didn't need to.

The new ramp comes with a slightly taller post for the ramp exit, above the Cyclone ramp. I used it, but found that when I used the Mantis protector for the inside of the ramp, I couldn't get the playfield glass back on. I had the choice of either removing the Mantis protector or going back to the shorter post. I know the new ramp is thicker, so maybe I could get away with not using the protector, but I saw what the ball did to my old ramp exit, so I decided to keep the protector. I went back to the shorter post and the glass went on fine...but the ball got stuck under the Comet ramp when it went around the Cyclone ramp. I found that I could loosen the screw that holds the Comet ramp to the Cyclone ramp just enough to get clearance on both the Cyclone ramp and the playfield glass. That might not be the case if the Cyclone ramp is replaced as well.

Decals went on easy and look pretty good. I'm happy to not have to use the Mantis protectors on the ramp entrance any more. They did an excellent job and totally saved my old broken ramp, but they moved around sometimes and the ramp looks better without them. I'll save them and put them back on if this ramp cracks or breaks. The underside ramp exit Mantis protector doesn't fit the new ramp, but I don't think it'll be necessary anyway.

The new ramp looks and works great. I've got the Cyclone ramp and Boomerang subway on standby in case I ever need them. I bet these reproductions will save a lot of machines!

#338 8 years ago

Does anyone know where you can buy a replacement for the ferris wheel cog/pulley wheel? Or just the measurements for it? Big thanks!

#339 8 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

If you can make these, I'll buy two!

Thx. Let me take a crack at this. Should have something in the next 2-3 weeks.

#340 8 years ago

I would be interested in a couple as well.

#341 8 years ago

I have lights that are staying on at all times/during the start up are flashing rapidly and when doing a test turn on when they are not supposed to. After some checking it seems they are all on 1j7-1 pin and alternate based on the other row being turned on. Not sure what would cause this or how to fix it or if someone may know how to do additional testing. Any help would be appreciaed

#342 8 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Thx. Let me take a crack at this. Should have something in the next 2-3 weeks.

Just got a Cyclone yesterday and the airballs are really a problem. I'd definitely be interested in one of these shields if you can produce them.

#343 8 years ago

All of the 555 bulbs that light up Cyclone in the backbox work, around the mystery wheel, behind mystery wheel, the jackpot meter on the left, and also the 44 bulbs for the left and right eyes for the roller coaster and the 44s for the left and bottom fireworks work.
The lights that dont work are all the 555 bulbs located behind the rollercoaster and the two at the bottom located in the teeth area, the 555 bulbs behind the Williams Pinball Amusement Park Extravaganza and the clown do not work as well. Those appear to be all tied together. The 44 bulbs located upper right firework next to the rollercoaster and the one in the teeth area of the roller coaster dont work as well. Should I be specifically replacing a certain fuse? I'm trying to learn how to work on my own stuff but I dont know much about electronics.

#344 8 years ago

Is there anyone working on a Ferris Wheel ramp repro? My other two ramps are new and the Ferris Wheel ramp looks crusty compared to them.

1 week later
#345 8 years ago
Quoted from Olddragon:

Is there anyone working on a Ferris Wheel ramp repro? My other two ramps are new and the Ferris Wheel ramp looks crusty compared to them.

Since no one answered.....http://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps

Since it doesn't specifically say it, all 3 ramps and the subway are available

2 weeks later
#346 7 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Yeah..send me the dimensions. Even better, if you have a scanner...Scan it! I can make a template that way.
I have handmade a few plastic protectors out of Lexan in the past. I'm going to see if I can do a good job replicating this by hand.

Hey Brian,

I'd pay for one as well..... Psyched I found this club. I've had my Cyclone since 1995.... my first pin. Lovin the tips offered here.

Thanks.

#347 7 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

Since no one answered.....http://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps
Since it doesn't specifically say it, all 3 ramps and the subway are available

Thanks! I've searched that site and never saw the ramp so assumed they didn't have it.

I've been away from the site for awhile so apologies for my tardy reply.

#348 7 years ago

If you try to buy the comet ramp from starship-fantasy, it says it's out of stock.

#349 7 years ago
Quoted from beepnutz:

If you try to buy the comet ramp from starship-fantasy, it says it's out of stock.

I emailed them directly bout 2 months ago after I didn't see Amy of the ramps on the site but saw a post about them being ready. I'm not current on what's available right now just letting you know I had to contact them directly and was told all 4 are available a in stock

#350 7 years ago

A little off topic but... My ferris wheel slips. I'm using a new belt and have cleaned everything top to bottom and still, every 5 or 6 games, it will slip >< Anyone here run into this and have a way to make this bulletproof?

Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Rutledge, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Keller, TX
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 1,793 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-clubmembers-only/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.