CF83673E-AC23-4733-B2F0-FF6D1D2EEC52 (resized).jpeg
98402E0C-62FA-4829-9BBB-01304D183298 (resized).jpeg
094FE2A1-EB4B-4870-AED2-599AA08C306A (resized).jpeg
45C2F5E2-2BC0-46E1-98DD-8909EFDC8BF3 (resized).jpeg
1658017072135495565440272687016 (resized).jpg
58018203-1228-4169-95AE-26E140568834 (resized).jpeg
2C1CE675-A62C-42FD-A2F4-F0DA6567E5AA (resized).jpeg
8507548D-C570-4C57-9ACB-77FE65755F40 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,427 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 29.
#1401 68 days ago

Thanks! I have some Lexan. I also have the tools to cut and polish it at my work. I look forward to getting started on the restoration. I want to make it a one of a kind, HEP type Cyclone. I'll post here in a couple of months when I get started on it.

#1402 68 days ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Coaster 3D prints of Comet and Cyclone from Mr_Tantrum make a great topper.

Can you elaborate further? Pics and/or links would be awesome!

Jaz

#1403 68 days ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Can you elaborate further? Pics and/or links would be awesome!

I don't know if he's still doing them.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-comet-coaster

I've been planning on lighting them up and triggering the lights with the ramp inserts, but other projects are distracting me. They still look great unlit though.

#1404 68 days ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I plan on starting a full restore on a Cyclone in a couple of months. It will get LEDs, new rubbers, and either a hardtop or new playfield. What MODs are there for this game and which do you recommend? Thanks!

When I restored mine I did repainted my Ferris wheel and gave it some metal flake. Redid the ramp in a nice deep blue also….

11F90DA8-DB10-4771-B3C0-F1F27AF2ED55 (resized).jpegCF83673E-AC23-4733-B2F0-FF6D1D2EEC52 (resized).jpegE7F6DF76-4929-409F-9F96-7116A3D16017 (resized).jpeg
#1405 67 days ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

When I restored mine I did repainted my Ferris wheel and gave it some metal flake. Redid the ramp in a nice deep blue also….
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's sweet. I will definitely do something like that.

#1406 67 days ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

I don't know if he's still doing them.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-comet-coaster
I've been planning on lighting them up and triggering the lights with the ramp inserts, but other projects are distracting me. They still look great unlit though.

I am thinking if it's possible I'd add people on the coaster. Time to search Ebay for Ronald and Nancy.

#1407 67 days ago

I love the metal flake. And that clear plastic ramp looks amazing too. Did you polish it somehow? I've tried using the stuff they recommend for car headlight covers but it doesn't seem to have done much.

#1408 64 days ago

Hoping for some assistance - my left flipper quit working in the middle of a game. The flipper button is not registering in switch test. I replaced the leaf switch and that didn’t do the trick. What else should I be looking at?

#1409 64 days ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Did you polish it somehow?

flame polishing works, but with the risk of warping the plastic all to hell if you're not careful. i've done it myself, so if I can do it, for real anyone can.

#1410 64 days ago
Quoted from shiffdog:

The flipper button is not registering in switch test.

If I remember right, the flipper button on System 11 doesn’t register in switch test. It’s the lane-change switch that registers, and that only registers if the flipper moves. First thing I’d do is check for voltage at the coil. Look at your flipper coil and find the two diodes next to the lugs. Each of those diodes will have a white line/band around it on one side. With the machine ON, put your multimeter in DC voltage mode, carefully touch the red lead to the outside lug on the coil on side of the diode with the band (this is where power comes in), and touch the black lead to the ground braid inside the cabinet. Should see around 50 volts on your meter.

#1411 64 days ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

If I remember right, the flipper button on System 11 doesn’t register in switch test. It’s the lane-change switch that registers, and that only registers if the flipper moves. First thing I’d do is check for voltage at the coil. Look at your flipper coil and find the two diodes next to the lugs. Each of those diodes will have a white line/band around it on one side. With the machine ON, put your multimeter in DC voltage mode, carefully touch the red lead to the outside lug on the coil on side of the diode with the band (this is where power comes in), and touch the black lead to the ground braid inside the cabinet. Should see around 50 volts on your meter.

Add to above: blown fuse? wire connection continuity? bad coil winding? broken EOS switch?
--------------- broken flipper components?

#1412 62 days ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

If I remember right, the flipper button on System 11 doesn’t register in switch test. It’s the lane-change switch that registers, and that only registers if the flipper moves. First thing I’d do is check for voltage at the coil.

Thanks. I hadn't looked at anything much beyond the leaf switch because I didn't realize that the flipper button itself isn't actually what's registering in switch test. Now it makes a little more sense. I recently did a flipper rebuild so hopefully nothing is wrong with the flipper mechs - maybe it's just a bad solder job by me. Can I rule out a blown fuse if one flipper is working, or are the flippers on separate fuses?

#1413 62 days ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I love the metal flake. And that clear plastic ramp looks amazing too. Did you polish it somehow? I've tried using the stuff they recommend for car headlight covers but it doesn't seem to have done much.

Those ramps are brand new, no flame polishing required.

#1414 61 days ago
Quoted from shiffdog:

Can I rule out a blown fuse if one flipper is working, or are the flippers on separate fuses?

There is a fuse for each flipper, F5 and F6 on the Aux Power Driver board.

1 week later
#1415 52 days ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Those ramps are brand new, no flame polishing required.

I just replaced mine also. The difference is pretty striking. So clear. The fit wasn’t exactly like the original, and required some work to get the fit right. I can’t fit my front pop bumper cap on. No room for it now. I’m ordering the one that has one side cut, for TAF and other tight spots. Very happy with the clarity tho. The drop hole on the Comet ramp was too small and the ball got stuck in it. I used a dremel and made it slightly wider. Someday a new pf!

C7C7F1C8-66D1-428E-8AAD-45BDB9D1E8D2 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1416 44 days ago

I have started work on my Cyclone. The first step was to scan it in and I now have a 600dpi record of what the playfield looked like, dirt and all, just in case something happened. I have Photoshop Elements and I have to say I was really impressed with its ability to merge the scans together (I used a standard Epson Perfection 8.5 x 11 scanner laying on the playfield) - i just gave it the overlapping pics and it stitched them together and even adjusted the colors to match it all.

I think I will do another one when I get the dirt and swirls off - if anyone is interested I can send them the full sized image (2gb) (but its pretty dirty, see below)

Cyclone-Playfield-Full-Dirty (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1417 34 days ago

Hi Guys, I am having issues locating a part for my cyclone. The ball gate for the Ferris wheel part number A-12160. Any help would be awesome. Cheers

PXL_20220830_130332752.MP (resized).jpg
#1418 33 days ago
Quoted from Dukznutz:

Hi Guys, I am having issues locating a part for my cyclone. The ball gate for the Ferris wheel part number A-12160. Any help would be awesome. Cheers
[quoted image]

You will likely need to buy some music wire and make one. Lowes carries it in their bins. Search it before you go and it will give you the location in the store.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-6-in-Aluminum-Music-Wire/3478173

#1419 33 days ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I have started work on my Cyclone. The first step was to scan it in and I now have a 600dpi record of what the playfield looked like, dirt and all, just in case something happened. I have Photoshop Elements and I have to say I was really impressed with its ability to merge the scans together (I used a standard Epson Perfection 8.5 x 11 scanner laying on the playfield) - i just gave it the overlapping pics and it stitched them together and even adjusted the colors to match it all.
I think I will do another one when I get the dirt and swirls off - if anyone is interested I can send them the full sized image (2gb) (but its pretty dirty, see below)[quoted image]

What did you use to scan it?

#1420 32 days ago
Quoted from jazc4:

What did you use to scan it?

I have an epson perfection scanner. I removed the plastic flashing around the edge which allows the glass to touch the playfield. This allows for good quality scans. Here is a piece of my original, scanned at 600dpi.
original scan

The big problem is of course that it is only 8.5 x 11 and the scans need to be stitched together. I did the automated route and in checking it, its pretty close. The overall height of the graphic as measured on the playfield is 37.75 inches. As measured on my graphic, it is 37.7

However I did notice where the software messed up at the edges though. Here is the extreme top. Note how the software matched up down at the rollovers but didn't get the very top. I will have to do it manually I guess.Cyclone top

#1421 31 days ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I have an epson perfection scanner. I removed the plastic flashing around the edge which allows the glass to touch the playfield. This allows for good quality scans. Here is a piece of my original, scanned at 600dpi.
[quoted image]
The big problem is of course that it is only 8.5 x 11 and the scans need to be stitched together. I did the automated route and in checking it, its pretty close. The overall height of the graphic as measured on the playfield is 37.75 inches. As measured on my graphic, it is 37.7
However I did notice where the software messed up at the edges though. Here is the extreme top. Note how the software matched up down at the rollovers but didn't get the very top. I will have to do it manually I guess.[quoted image]

That's freakin cool. I want to learn how to do this.

2 weeks later
#1422 18 days ago
Quoted from jazc4:

That's freakin cool. I want to learn how to do this.

I posted some more detail in this thread, when I first started it was blurry but now its working quite well. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scanner-alternative-to-hp

I used it to scan in my whole Ice-Revue, recreate the artwork in photoshop and print out a "soft top" that I stuck on and coverd with clear, as I had a lot of trouble with painting
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-restore-of-an-ice-revue/page/3#post-6545018

1 week later
#1423 11 days ago

I have a scan of a repro playfield if you need

#1424 11 days ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

I have a scan of a repro playfield if you need

I could use that.

#1425 11 days ago

the top of my playfield is worn away around the 1-2-3 lights (see picture above) so I decided that when I put on a replacement graphic I would add in our family. I took pics of us looking up and patched them in. Its back at the back end of the playfield so not real noticable but I think its fun for our family!

resized cyclone top (resized).jpg
#1426 10 days ago
Quoted from mark532011:

the top of my playfield is worn away around the 1-2-3 lights (see picture above) so I decided that when I put on a replacement graphic I would add in our family. I took pics of us looking up and patched them in. Its back at the back end of the playfield so not real noticable but I think its fun for our family!
[quoted image]

That's freakin awesome!

#1427 10 days ago
Quoted from mark532011:

[quoted image]

Easily one of the coolest and most creative mods i've seen! Bravo!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Sale Pending! Machine - For Sale
Hudson, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenixville, PA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 1,427 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!