pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0358 (resized).JPG
IMG_0356 (resized).JPG
IMG_0357 (resized).JPG
There are 1,804 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 37.
#1351 1 year ago

Is there any playfield restoration solution out there someone can point me to? I picked up a cyclone and am trying to collect all parts necessary to fully repopulate the playfield etc. I have left ramp on order, cannot find the other ramps. I am not having luck identifying plastic inserts etc. for playfield and the "artist" hat restored my playfield prior to me did such a bad job I just dont think I can find any way to save it.

#1352 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Motor works but it’s in reverse.. Here’s a picture..
[quoted image]

Judging by the yellow wires, it should be an AC motor but probably the wrong one. I don't have a cyclone here to reference but the motor plate will show if it's a clockwise or counter clockwise motor. It will also list the RPM's and voltage. Marco link for part number reference.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-7941-3

#1353 1 year ago
Quoted from TheSoftBoiledEgg:

Is there any playfield restoration solution out there someone can point me to? I picked up a cyclone and am trying to collect all parts necessary to fully repopulate the playfield etc. I have left ramp on order, cannot find the other ramps. I am not having luck identifying plastic inserts etc. for playfield and the "artist" hat restored my playfield prior to me did such a bad job I just dont think I can find any way to save it.

Looks like Starship Fantasy has all 3 ramps in stock...

https://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Cyclone-3-Ramp-Combo

Hardtop might be an option...

http://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/store/p75/Pinball_Playfield_Hardtop.html

Would still need the inserts though.

CPR playfields are currently out of stock....

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/cyclone/

#1354 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Judging by the yellow wires, it should be an AC motor but probably the wrong one. I don't have a cyclone here to reference but the motor plate will show if it's a clockwise or counter clockwise motor. It will also list the RPM's and voltage. Marco link for part number reference.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-7941-3

Are you sure? Why would it be going in reverse then? Just doesn't make sense..

#1355 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Are you sure? Why would it be going in reverse then? Just doesn't make sense..

There are CW motors and CCW motors I guess depending how it is geared. Also various voltages and rpms.

#1356 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

There are CW motors and CCW motors I guess depending how it is geared. Also various voltages and rpms.

Alright so the weird thing is the ball got stuck because it was going in reverse then all of sudden the wheel starting going the correct way and dropped the ball into the ramp. Then after a minute it started going the wrong way again..

#1357 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Alright so the weird thing is the ball got stuck because it was going in reverse then all of sudden the wheel starting going the correct way and dropped the ball into the ramp. Then after a minute it started going the wrong way again..

That is weird! The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the gear/s are stripped in the motor. The motor may be shifting since it is mounted with a rubber band? You can run the motor in the coil self test and observe it. Listen for any strange noises.

#1358 1 year ago

My Barker went mute!

I just waxed, put on new rubber and added a new ball. Wow, what a difference!

I played several games and everything was perfect. Then I got a new high score (amazing what new rubber and a fresh waxing will do).

After that game, I noticed that there are no voices during attract mode. Attract mode is on and set to "Less", I tried "Alot" and still nada.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

#1359 1 year ago
#1360 1 year ago

I have a question about a weird graphic I found. On Jeff's page there is an image of two big eyes and the title says "display panel speaker cutouts for Cyclone."
I have never seen them in any of the pictures and I don't even know how they would work as covering up the speakers seems like a bad idea. Is that something standard?

about halfway down on page: https://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/cyclone/pics/pics.html

#1361 1 year ago

So I am dumb. I was replacing my Cyclone ramp sloppily with a new one and ended up doing so without turning the power to the game off. I didn't think the replacement of the ramp would require anything electrical, neglecting to consider the blue flasher at the top right of the machine. As I pulled the ramp up, blue flasher wires make contact with siderail, spark, and blue flasher doesn't work. At first I hoped all I had done was fried the flasher, but upon firing the game up I have new error with center drop target switch, and the ball does not launch to the shooter lane.

Does someone smarter than I know what I likely did to the machine and what I should consider starting with? I believe the two problems to be caused by this same spark....

And yes I know, I always turn my games off when working. I have no idea why I didn't in this circumstance.

#1362 1 year ago

So I am dumb. I was replacing my Cyclone ramp sloppily with a new one and ended up doing so without turning the power to the game off. I didn't think the replacement of the ramp would require anything electrical, neglecting to consider the blue flasher at the top right of the machine. As I pulled the ramp up, blue flasher wires make contact with siderail, spark, and blue flasher doesn't work. At first I hoped all I had done was fried the flasher, but upon firing the game up I have new error with center drop target switch, and the ball does not launch to the shooter lane.
Does someone smarter than I know what I likely did to the machine and what I should consider starting with? I believe the two problems to be caused by this same spark....
And yes I know, I always turn my games off when working. I have no idea why I didn't in this circumstance.

Sounds like you might want to do some research on switch matrix issues and how to fix them.

#1363 1 year ago

It's more like being impatient than dumb. I did something similar on Cyc when working on a sling shot. The coil bracket came in contact with the lamp board under the center of the PF. I smelled the burn and all the blue lamps went out. I was shitting bricks since I just installed a new DumbAss CPU in the game. Luckily I just blew the LED bulbs.

Can you get the game to go into self diagnostic test mode?

#1364 1 year ago

Most likely fried the tip transitor Or diodes that drive that flasher associated coils / switches
Trace it back to the driver!
GL

#1365 1 year ago

Nicest cyclone in the club now selling for $4800

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-restored-cyclone-1

#1366 1 year ago

flaa1a
This is the extra ramp I was saving to repair.
The table top needs some “repair” as well

5133E0A5-1D87-4222-9EF8-02B5C215D026 (resized).jpeg5133E0A5-1D87-4222-9EF8-02B5C215D026 (resized).jpeg8CA1B95E-C7F1-4800-907B-03CCDA8C6B34 (resized).jpeg8CA1B95E-C7F1-4800-907B-03CCDA8C6B34 (resized).jpegC4DEF373-EB2E-4454-9304-5A70BBBC88C2 (resized).jpegC4DEF373-EB2E-4454-9304-5A70BBBC88C2 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1367 1 year ago

Got a question. I have a replacement MPU board for my Cyclone (Thanks DumbAss !) and I am looking at putting it together to see if it will work. While looking over the wiring in the head I noticed these strange green plastic discs. Are they normal? They look like they could be a fuse or LED or something.

DSC04977 (resized).JPGDSC04977 (resized).JPGDSC04977-cropped (resized).jpgDSC04977-cropped (resized).jpg
#1368 1 year ago

Those are just wire connectors, typically used more for phone system wiring than pinball. The don't light up or have fuses in them.

#1369 1 year ago

They're called "Scotch Locks", not just for phone, but typically only used on solid copper wire, but they do work with stranded.
They are an excellent connector, no need to replace with anything inferior. the best solution would be to restore the original connection, or just leave it as is.

#1370 1 year ago

I plugged it in and it works! woohoo... got a few issues of course, but the ferris wheel spins and the wheel of fortune spins so I am ahead of the game...

It is complaining about the center drop target. Looking at it, it is an opto board - any way to tell if it is bad?

Also, from a purely mechanical issue, does the target drop just because of gravity? No spring or anything pulling it down.. seems kind of strange. I can't tell if I am missing an assembly or not, I don't see it detailed in the manual.

IMG_6309 (resized).jpgIMG_6309 (resized).jpgIMG_6310 (resized).jpgIMG_6310 (resized).jpg
#1371 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Also, from a purely mechanical issue, does the target drop just because of gravity? No spring or anything pulling it down.. seems kind of strange. I can't tell if I am missing an assembly or not, I don't see it detailed in the manual.[quoted image][quoted image]

Page 14 of the Cyclone parts manual has a detailed list, and image of the drop target assy.

There's a retract spring, and it looks as though you're missing it. Part #:10-364

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-364

Hope this helps

-Paul

#1372 1 year ago

awesome, thanks!

2 weeks later
#1373 1 year ago

I clear coated my Cyclone playfield and I was almost completely done. The playfield looked beautiful. I had a 1/3 can of clear left and hit the playfield again but the nozzle wasn't spraying right and I got tons of very small bubbles on the playfield. I tried sanding it down to get rid of them however I sanded letters off two of the decals shown below.

Does anyone have a digital file of these decals I could use to try to reproduce them?

Thank you very much for your help.

20220620_103049 (resized).jpg20220620_103049 (resized).jpg20220620_103054 (resized).jpg20220620_103054 (resized).jpg
#1374 1 year ago
Quoted from rdrapeau3171:

Does anyone have a digital file of these decals I could use to try to reproduce them?

Insert decal sets are available, and I have both of those left over from set I used on a restore. But wouldn't you need to add a ton more clearcoat to add decals?

#1375 1 year ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Insert decal sets are available, and I have both of those left over from set I used on a restore. But wouldn't you need to add a ton more clearcoat to add decals?

Yes, very likely. If I had those two decals I could do what Vid recommended to me. 1) scan the decals 2) print the letters in black over a clear plastic decal 3) cut out the black letters 4) put the decal down over the existing decal on the playfield 5) paint the letters back on with white acrylic paint 6) remove that top decal when done painting exposing the newly painted white letters. I will pm you.

2 weeks later
#1376 1 year ago

Joined the club this past weekend and I’m planning to restore this one for myself! I love the gameplay. CPR had a new playfield in stock. I’ll eventually swap that out and install new ramps. Not sure about the cab, which is in pretty good shape, but has a few dings and scratches. I see cab decals are available, maybe I’ll do that. I like certain features on Comet and Hurricane, but Cyclone is the best of the 3, in my book!

72DB5815-F8E0-4A79-A432-BFE7E6CB728A (resized).jpeg72DB5815-F8E0-4A79-A432-BFE7E6CB728A (resized).jpegE072C9E0-0796-4D27-B8EA-BF07A8FB9865 (resized).jpegE072C9E0-0796-4D27-B8EA-BF07A8FB9865 (resized).jpeg2A5EA273-752C-48FB-8FA6-365CD97C89DB (resized).jpeg2A5EA273-752C-48FB-8FA6-365CD97C89DB (resized).jpeg
#1377 1 year ago

Left the club and selling my plastics, ramp, and unobtanium ride the cyclone plastic.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/138886

#1378 1 year ago

Picked up a project Cyclone. Trying to track down a few things.
1. Shooter Kickback keeps firing. Checked the associated Q32 transistor. And it isn’t showing shorted.. Is there a switch that is activating that?
2. Game resets randomly. Power Supply issue correct?
Fairly novice on some of this. But not helpless.
Any suggestions?

#1379 1 year ago

what's the shooter kickback? do you mean the outhole kicker?

Does it do this in test mode? Or does it work properly in test mode? If so I would suspect the associated switch. Check it in test mode too.

#1380 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Is this an actual Cyclone part? I didn't see it on my game...
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-6644

I think that part goes to a Williams Sorcerer, part of the long entrance gate.

#1381 1 year ago
Quoted from kevmad:what's the shooter kickback? do you mean the outhole kicker?
Does it do this in test mode? Or does it work properly in test mode? If so I would suspect the associated switch. Check it in test mode too.

So that’s the 3rd problem.
Coindoor controls to run a switch test are not working.
Trying to do this in the dark.

#1382 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazzy121:

Picked up a project Cyclone. Trying to track down a few things.
1. Shooter Kickback keeps firing. Checked the associated Q32 transistor. And it isn’t showing shorted.. Is there a switch that is activating that?
2. Game resets randomly. Power Supply issue correct?
Fairly novice on some of this. But not helpless.
Any suggestions?

Can you post pics of this kickback? Not sure what you mean here.

#1383 1 year ago

Manual Calls it a shooter kickback. It’s the coil that kicks if you go for the skill shot. I believe it’s an issue with the switch right beside it underneath. When I lift the playfield up, it stops firing. The switch is making connection when I put the playfield back down due to gravity. Am I missing part of that switch?

2C1CE675-A62C-42FD-A2F4-F0DA6567E5AA (resized).jpeg2C1CE675-A62C-42FD-A2F4-F0DA6567E5AA (resized).jpeg58018203-1228-4169-95AE-26E140568834 (resized).jpeg58018203-1228-4169-95AE-26E140568834 (resized).jpeg8507548D-C570-4C57-9ACB-77FE65755F40 (resized).jpeg8507548D-C570-4C57-9ACB-77FE65755F40 (resized).jpeg
#1384 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazzy121:

Manual Calls it a shooter kickback. It’s the coil that kicks if you go for the skill shot. I believe it’s an issue with the switch right beside it underneath. When I lift the playfield up, it stops firing. The switch is making connection when I put the playfield back down due to gravity. Am I missing part of that switch?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If it stops when the playfield is up I think you are right about it being the switch. Try adjusting the switch by bending the wire some.

#1385 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazzy121:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I would also diagnose the coin door switches so you can get into test mode. You can ground out the pins for the switches on the board and see if it's the switches or a problem on the board. I would only do this if you read exactly which pins to short and are confident in doing it though.

#1386 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I would also diagnose the coin door switches so you can get into test mode. You can ground out the pins for the switches on the board and see if it's the switches or a problem on the board. I would only do this if you read exactly which pins to short and are confident in doing it though.

Thanks. Gonna work on the Coindoor and see what that shuffles out.

#1387 1 year ago

Looks like the end of your wire is missing...

1658017072135495565440272687016 (resized).jpg1658017072135495565440272687016 (resized).jpg
#1388 1 year ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Looks like the end of your wire is missing...
[quoted image]

I figured it was something like that. Does anyone have any clue what part that is? Thank you

#1389 1 year ago

Hi,

I picked up a Cyclone the other day and I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with it. I went to buy another game a couple of weeks ago and when I arrived the owner had multiple machines. I asked if they were for sale and he proceeded to tell me they all were, he just hadn't had time to list anything yet. I've never owned a System 11 before so I went after the Cyclone and he asked if I wanted to play it. He turned it on and I started playing. Hit some bumpers, went over some switches, went on a rap and then hit the ferris wheel. Upon hitting the wheel something glitched, can't remember what, but frankly it seemed minor at the time. He turned it off, turned it back on and the game wouldn't play at that point. I could start a game, it would say "step right up, step right up" but upon pulling the rod the playfield goes dead (outside of the ferris wheel which spins a few times). When I say dead, I mean the bumpers don't work, the switches don't work, the flippers don't work etc... It's pretty much dead. When the ball drains the game ends so that's not correct either. At that point he said to call him in a week so he could fix it, but after a few weeks he said he hadn't had time and offered a discount. I decided to go for it.

When I run diagnostic mode the flippers and other solenoids work. All the switches work. The fuses seem fine. The only thing that seemed to be a potential issue would be during solenoid test 3 of the tests said "not in use". I'm not sure if that means they're problematic or that's the expected message. I also notice that the ferris wheel stops as soon as the ball get to the playfield, not sure why, but I tested all the switches at the top of the playfield and everything seems ok. Part of me thinks this is something simple because of how it broke but who knows. The 2nd of the 3 lights inside of the backbox is blinking so there is a problem, I just can't find it.

Edit: I remembered one more thing, the ball kicker that kicks the ball out after using the shooter rod works. That seems to be the only thing outside of the ferris wheel and lights that work (sounds work also)

Thank you

Added 21 months ago:

I was just playing around with it again and here's exactly what happens;

The playfield has lights
I add credit, it makes a chime sound
I hit the start button
It says "hurry, hurry"
While it's saying "hurry, hurry" the flippers work, the ferris wheel works, the bumpers work etc....
As soon as it's finished saying "hurry, hurry" the entire playfield dies with the exception of the lights and ball kicker
The backbox then says "X credits" suggesting there is no game being played, ie the game is over

Any ideas?

#1390 1 year ago

What a beautiful sight! Someday it will be populated!

45C2F5E2-2BC0-46E1-98DD-8909EFDC8BF3 (resized).jpeg45C2F5E2-2BC0-46E1-98DD-8909EFDC8BF3 (resized).jpeg094FE2A1-EB4B-4870-AED2-599AA08C306A (resized).jpeg094FE2A1-EB4B-4870-AED2-599AA08C306A (resized).jpeg98402E0C-62FA-4829-9BBB-01304D183298 (resized).jpeg98402E0C-62FA-4829-9BBB-01304D183298 (resized).jpeg
#1391 1 year ago
Quoted from splattii:

Hi,
I picked up a Cyclone the other day and I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with it. I went to buy another game a couple of weeks ago and when I arrived the owner had multiple machines. I asked if they were for sale and he proceeded to tell me they all were, he just hadn't had time to list anything yet. I've never owned a System 11 before so I went after the Cyclone and he asked if I wanted to play it. He turned it on and I started playing. Hit some bumpers, went over some switches, went on a rap and then hit the ferris wheel. Upon hitting the wheel something glitched, can't remember what, but frankly it seemed minor at the time. He turned it off, turned it back on and the game wouldn't play at that point. I could start a game, it would say "step right up, step right up" but upon pulling the rod the playfield goes dead (outside of the ferris wheel which spins a few times). When I say dead, I mean the bumpers don't work, the switches don't work, the flippers don't work etc... It's pretty much dead. When the ball drains the game ends so that's not correct either. At that point he said to call him in a week so he could fix it, but after a few weeks he said he hadn't had time and offered a discount. I decided to go for it.
When I run diagnostic mode the flippers and other solenoids work. All the switches work. The fuses seem fine. The only thing that seemed to be a potential issue would be during solenoid test 3 of the tests said "not in use". I'm not sure if that means they're problematic or that's the expected message. I also notice that the ferris wheel stops as soon as the ball get to the playfield, not sure why, but I tested all the switches at the top of the playfield and everything seems ok. Part of me thinks this is something simple because of how it broke but who knows. The 2nd of the 3 lights inside of the backbox is blinking so there is a problem, I just can't find it.
Edit: I remembered one more thing, the ball kicker that kicks the ball out after using the shooter rod works. That seems to be the only thing outside of the ferris wheel and lights that work (sounds work also)
Thank you

Added today: I was just playing around with it again and here's exactly what happens;
The playfield has lights
I add credit, it makes a chime sound
I hit the start button
It says "hurry, hurry"
While it's saying "hurry, hurry" the flippers work, the ferris wheel works, the bumpers work etc....
As soon as it's finished saying "hurry, hurry" the entire playfield dies with the exception of the lights and ball kicker
The backbox then says "X credits" suggesting there is no game being played, ie the game is over
Any ideas?

Is it resetting? After it goes dead, does it let you add credits and start over? Might be a power supply issue and resetting.

#1392 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazzy121:

I figured it was something like that. Does anyone have any clue what part that is? Thank you

Sorry for delay, you might need to make your own. Can use this kit...

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-WS-KIT

The key is to make sure the ball isn't behind the wire when it gets to the launcher. I assume that's why the part it often broken.

#1393 1 year ago

Maybe try a factory reset? I seem to remember my machine having some issues many years ago. Some may have been similar, but probably not as bad. Factory reset fixed most. Only the sound board had issues. Doubt it will fix yours, but you never know.

#1394 1 year ago

Thanks for the responses. I managed to fix it. The slam tilt was pressing against the door whenever the door was closed. I adjusted it slightly and the game plays great now outside of the Ferris Wheel which can't pull the ball up. I assume it's a belt issue as the belt is yellowing. I'll replace that and this should be an enjoyable machine. Not looking forward to it, they didn't make it easy unless there's a trick I'm not seeing

#1395 1 year ago

Awesome, glad you were able to fix it so quickly! Had something similar with a Sprit of 76 once. Took a while to fix since there turned out to be a 2nd slam tilt in the head that I didn't know was there.

#1396 1 year ago
Quoted from splattii:

Thanks for the responses. I managed to fix it. The slam tilt was pressing against the door whenever the door was closed. I adjusted it slightly and the game plays great now outside of the Ferris Wheel which can't pull the ball up. I assume it's a belt issue as the belt is yellowing. I'll replace that and this should be an enjoyable machine. Not looking forward to it, they didn't make it easy unless there's a trick I'm not seeing

Use rubber no need for that hard plastic overpriced band!

#1397 1 year ago
Quoted from freddy:

Use rubber no need for that hard plastic overpriced band!

Do you know what size band I need? If I can get away with a rubber that would be ideal as I have a bunch on hand already. Thanks!

#1398 1 year ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Sorry for delay, you might need to make your own. Can use this kit...
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-WS-KIT
The key is to make sure the ball isn't behind the wire when it gets to the launcher. I assume that's why the part it often broken.

I will try to make one. I see where the part is gone/out of stock. Thank you

#1399 1 year ago

I plan on starting a full restore on a Cyclone in a couple of months. It will get LEDs, new rubbers, and either a hardtop or new playfield. What MODs are there for this game and which do you recommend? Thanks!

#1400 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

What MODs are there for this game and which do you recommend?

Clear Lexan over the entrance to the Spook House to avoid ricochets.

Color LEDs in the Mystery Wheel.

Coaster 3D prints of Comet and Cyclone from Mr_Tantrum make a great topper.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,804 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-clubmembers-only/page/28?hl=jaytrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.