pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0358 (resized).JPG
IMG_0356 (resized).JPG
IMG_0357 (resized).JPG
There are 1,804 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 37.
#1201 2 years ago

Hi everyone. I have an issue with my ferris wheel. Long story short, the under-playfield relay isn't clicking. I have replaced the relay board (the original one was an interesting hack-job) and Q6 on the driver board, which was bad. I do get 31V at the driver board, but the relay just isn't firing. Any suggestions?

#1202 2 years ago

The swap has begun. Day 2. Should be able to finish up this weekend. Having the side rails and lock down bar powder coated black.

The end is near!

0D02C7A7-4219-4820-8E33-358EAAC72E9A.jpeg0D02C7A7-4219-4820-8E33-358EAAC72E9A.jpeg7F718F78-1113-4CE9-8F0E-4A1A71D045ED.jpeg7F718F78-1113-4CE9-8F0E-4A1A71D045ED.jpeg
#1203 2 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

The swap has begun. Day 2. Should be able to finish up this weekend. Having the side rails and lock down bar powder coated black.
The end is near!

How fun!!

#1204 2 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

The end is near!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice, I have a playfield swap in my future for Comet and Cyclone. Still trying to find a Hurricane to complete set.

#1205 2 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Nice, I have a playfield swap in my future for Comet and Cyclone. Still trying to find a Hurricane to complete set.

Me too! Thankfully you are cross country so we shouldn’t be fighting for the same hurricane

#1206 2 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

The end is near!

I may be doing a Cyc swap on my friend's game. How close or not close are the CPR dimples. Any weird things with the PF?

#1207 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I may be doing a Cyc swap on my friend's game. How close or not close are the CPR dimples. Any weird things with the PF?

Things have been going fairly well. Not many issues with any dimpling or anything. Few holes maybe 1mm off at most. All that’s left is transferring the wiring harness to the underside.

Hopefully powder coating will be done this week. Got inside art blades as well. Should be operational by the weekend

7084D4BF-B6DC-418E-9AE3-74636164BD15.jpeg7084D4BF-B6DC-418E-9AE3-74636164BD15.jpeg
#1208 2 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

Things have been going fairly well. Not many issues with any dimpling or anything. Few holes maybe 1mm off at most. All that’s left is transferring the wiring harness to the underside.
Hopefully powder coating will be done this week. Got inside art blades as well. Should be operational by the weekend
[quoted image]

Sounds good. I'm wrapping up a HS swap now. Where did you get blades? I haven't seen anything for sys11 or HS anywhere.

#1209 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Sounds good. I'm wrapping up a HS swap now. Where did you get blades? I haven't seen anything for sys11 or HS anywhere.

Ordered from Great Britain. Lemme find the info for ya

#1210 2 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

Ordered from Great Britain. Lemme find the info for ya

Thanks!

#1211 2 years ago

Thinking about selling my Cyclone to make room form a new pin coming this Fall. Has new CPR PF, all new ramps + subway, pop bumpers, plastics w/topper, LED alpha numeric display, flipper rebuild with Titan rings and Comets throughout. All original boards, plays 100% with no errors. Cabinet/coin door is in good shape.

Thought I would ask the Cyclone Club what a good starting price would be?

Thanks!!

#1212 2 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

Thinking about selling my Cyclone to make room form a new pin coming this Fall. Has new CPR PF, all new ramps + subway, pop bumpers, plastics w/topper, LED alpha numeric display, flipper rebuild with Titan rings and Comets throughout. All original boards, plays 100% with no errors. Cabinet/coin door is in good shape.
Thought I would ask the Cyclone Club what a good starting price would be?
Thanks!!

If the cab is in great shape? 3500?

#1213 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

If the cab is in great shape? 3500?

Thanks jorant! Exactly what I was thinking. Cabs about a 8 out of 10.

#1214 2 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

Thinking about selling my Cyclone .....

You'll miss it!

-Paul

#1215 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I did a swap on my Cyclone a few years ago. CPR playfield was great. Couple areas I wished I paid a bit more attention to are the ABC lanes up-top and the in-lanes and out-lanes at the bottom. Those are areas where a little inconsistency makes a big difference in game play. If a random post is off a little here or there, maybe a ramp is slightly harder to hit or whatever, but it's not obvious. If your A lane is bigger than your B or C lanes, then you're going to notice. Even worse if your in-lane is too small. I wish I'd measured those spots before committing to placing the posts.

#1216 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Info on the art blades. Actually came pretty quick. About 2-3 weeks is all it took for delivery

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/cyclone-pinball-sideblades/

97729F00-A859-4549-8CA8-00BA1192CC42.png97729F00-A859-4549-8CA8-00BA1192CC42.png
1 week later
#1217 2 years ago

Just waiting on my powder coating! Swap and install is done! Woohoo!

26FA8283-29B8-4905-8DEF-E7DC723EB08A.jpeg26FA8283-29B8-4905-8DEF-E7DC723EB08A.jpeg3497A713-2363-45A5-8E0D-D1DBD888381F.jpeg3497A713-2363-45A5-8E0D-D1DBD888381F.jpeg
#1218 2 years ago

Good call on the black powder coating. I love mine.

3AB30EAE-B33E-4C47-AD48-81DE2FBBBECC (resized).jpeg3AB30EAE-B33E-4C47-AD48-81DE2FBBBECC (resized).jpeg86FE5172-1701-4EDE-99D1-FBFE5830BCBB (resized).jpeg86FE5172-1701-4EDE-99D1-FBFE5830BCBB (resized).jpeg
#1219 2 years ago
Quoted from cconway84:

Good call on the black powder coating. I love mine.

Yes exactly! I got the idea from you because it looks amazing! Thanks!

#1220 2 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

Just waiting on my powder coating! Swap and install is done! Woohoo!

Looks great! I'm thinking about doing a swap, current one isn't too bad though. Unfortunatly my Cyclone fell over in a flood a couple weeks ago. Amazingly enough you would never know it, got it working 100%. Stripped the playfield to give it a good cleaning and sending the rails to Taylor. Since it's partially apart already that new playfield is even more tempting.

#1221 2 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Looks great! I'm thinking about doing a swap, current one isn't too bad though. Unfortunatly my Cyclone fell over in a flood a couple weeks ago. Amazingly enough you would never know it, got it working 100%. Stripped the playfield to give it a good cleaning and sending the rails to Taylor. Since it's partially apart already that new playfield is even more tempting.

Do it! No better time. It’s already somewhat apart. It’s a game that will live on for a long time.

#1222 2 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

I did a swap on my Cyclone a few years ago. CPR playfield was great. Couple areas I wished I paid a bit more attention to are the ABC lanes up-top and the in-lanes and out-lanes at the bottom. Those are areas where a little inconsistency makes a big difference in game play. If a random post is off a little here or there, maybe a ramp is slightly harder to hit or whatever, but it's not obvious. If your A lane is bigger than your B or C lanes, then you're going to notice. Even worse if your in-lane is too small. I wish I'd measured those spots before committing to placing the posts.

Could you take some pictures and show us?

#1223 2 years ago

Okay I’m having a strange issue on cyclone. I’m thinking It has to be a diode/switch somewhere along this red and white matrix.

Anytime the ball is triggering a red and white switch. Let’s say the outhole… and I hit both flippers, it triggers the switch above on the image… so this time it’s tilt.

If the center drop is down and I hit both flippers the Ferris wheel is triggered.

I can disconnect the lane change switch on the right flipper and the problem goes away but you cant lane change with the right flipper.

Any other thoughts before I start testing replacing diodes?

A474D77A-598A-457D-B5C3-8776C6F52112 (resized).pngA474D77A-598A-457D-B5C3-8776C6F52112 (resized).png
#1224 2 years ago
Quoted from Jkaping:

Anytime the ball is triggering a red and white switch. Let’s say the outhole… and I hit both flippers, it triggers the switch above on the image… so this time it’s tilt.
If the center drop is down and I hit both flippers the Ferris wheel is triggered.

The hardest part is figuring out what scenarios cause the phantom closures and identifying the rectangles in the switch matrix. You’ve done that part! Since the common switches in both rectangles are the two lane changes, I’d visually check those for shorts and then replace both of them. Can’t test them in-circuit, so might as well just pull them and replace. (edit: maybe you can test them in-circuit, I always forget whether you can or not)

I documented my last switch matrix problem. You’ve got two nested rectangles just like I did.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/solving-a-switch-matrix-issue-a-case-study

#1225 2 years ago
Quoted from kevmad:

Could you take some pictures and show us?

There’s not much to show in a picture. Just pay attention to the lanes at the top of the playfield and make sure your posts are equidistant from each other. Similar with the flipper-return lane posts that separate the in-lanes from the out-lanes. Especially by the flippers, if a lane is too big or too small even by a little bit, you’re probably going to notice it because the ball will favor the larger lane. I had to scoot my right flipper-return lane post around in the hole to get the feel right.

#1226 2 years ago

First time using insert stickers. Do you clean, wax then apply the stickers or is it clean, apply sticker and then wax?

#1227 2 years ago
Quoted from byurick:

First time using insert stickers. Do you clean, wax then apply the stickers or is it clean, apply sticker and then wax?

I never used them but I would think wax after since the stickers won't adhere as well with the wax.

#1228 2 years ago
Quoted from byurick:

On our Cyclone I cut out whatever was left of the old insert artwork, cleaned it, and stuck on the stickers. It's been a few years, a lot of plays, and still looks great.

-Paul

#1229 2 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

On our Cyclone I cut out whatever was left of the old insert artwork, cleaned it, and stuck on the stickers. It's been a few years, a lot of plays, and still looks great.
-Paul

I'm working on a friend's cyclone now. The upper 1,2,3 inserts are worn. Where did you get replacements?

#1230 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I'm working on a friend's cyclone now. The upper 1,2,3 inserts are worn. Where did you get replacements?

Stickers I mean...

#1231 2 years ago

That's a damn good question....

I think we got them from Planetary Pinball because we were buying parts for a few machines at the same time, and I think I got them there.

-Paul

#1232 2 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

That's a damn good question....
I think we got them from Planetary Pinball because we were buying parts for a few machines at the same time, and I think I got them there.
-Paul

I'll take look, thanks!

#1233 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I'll take look, thanks!

Yes they have them but only a full set at $49. I never installed decals on PF before, what's the best approach?

#1234 2 years ago

Running some tests on my friend's Cyc. There are no sounds on either outlane but does score points. The left flipper return lane needs to be pressed a few times before it will make sound but scores every time. All other sounds seem to work but I have the ramps out for now. Could this be a sound rom issue?

#1235 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Running some tests on my friend's Cyc. There are no sounds on either outlane but does score points. The left flipper return lane needs to be pressed a few times before it will make sound but scores every time. All other sounds seem to work but I have the ramps out for now. Could this be a sound rom issue?

with some help from DumbAss I got the sound issue squared away.

#1236 2 years ago

Recently bought a Cyclone. I'm a woodrail collector and this is my first SS machine, I love it!! Doing all kinds of things to it as I continue to recondition it. I have a few questions for the group (I'm sure I'll have more as time goes on). First question, the cabinet is in pretty nice shape with the exception of the artwork on the back box right side. It's missing. I bought a stencil set from Pinball Pimp and want to repaint the artwork on both sides of the head so they match in colors. Has anyone done this before? If so can you recommend paints to use that will match the colors of the lower cabinet at least close enough that they won't stand up as different from head to body? With the shelves in most home supply stores near empty of paint cans it's hard to go out and find the colors needed. The orange looks almost like a match to Chevy Engine paint competition orange. The yellow is a tough one. Thanks in advance for any help here.

#1237 2 years ago

It's impossible for us to tell you what colors your cabinet now are The red color ranges from a bright poppy red to a pale orange depending on how much it's faded over the years. Same with the yellow.

Just pick out colors that match the existing colors the best.

As far as stenciling goes it's fairly straight forward. Use light coats just enough to get coverage. For bright colors like Cyclone has I'd mist on a coat of white first to reduce the color coats needed to get the color right.

If you're looking for a spray can recommendation I like the Rustoleum 2x brand. Lots of colors available, inexpensive, and lays down well. I've had good luck with it.

Hope this helps!

-Paul

#1238 2 years ago

Hey Paul, I found a color just yesterday that's almost a dead match for my yellow. It's a Krylon Safety Yellow.. and the orange red is very close to a chevy performance red/orange that I have in a testor's can.. Hope this helps someone else down the line.

#1239 2 years ago

She’s ALIVE!!!! Playing amazing and looks like she just rolled off the Williams factory floor!!

Powder coating took a little longer. I went with a “rough” texture gloss finish. Came out great!

077065EE-00B9-4D48-8EC5-5162AC3E1307.jpeg077065EE-00B9-4D48-8EC5-5162AC3E1307.jpeg0E8A6BB3-4B90-472D-9FFE-3D269902C4FB.jpeg0E8A6BB3-4B90-472D-9FFE-3D269902C4FB.jpeg1A35CAED-41D7-4F26-A045-B8B5074CF249.jpeg1A35CAED-41D7-4F26-A045-B8B5074CF249.jpegC9CFBB0F-6063-4EEB-92A1-29AB7E4C187A.jpegC9CFBB0F-6063-4EEB-92A1-29AB7E4C187A.jpegEB425065-1DAA-4C4B-BB7F-71FE57606158.jpegEB425065-1DAA-4C4B-BB7F-71FE57606158.jpeg
#1240 2 years ago

Looks awesome! Job well done!

#1241 2 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

She’s ALIVE!!!! Playing amazing and looks like she just rolled off the Williams factory floor!!
Powder coating took a little longer. I went with a “rough” texture gloss finish. Came out great!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice. Next take a red flipper button and you can cut it down to replace the white start button. Red start button to match the red balloon it’s in.

4329A802-8418-4FF2-8B62-DE38D363EF77 (resized).jpeg4329A802-8418-4FF2-8B62-DE38D363EF77 (resized).jpeg
#1242 2 years ago

I made a few simple mods to my Cyclone some folks might be interested in…
Mostly with lighting.

Comet now makes different color LED bulbs for the “subway”

I’ve lit up the “Spook house” hole with a purple LeD strip which lights once the target is hit.

I used flame bulbs for the “1 2 3” lanes with clear star posts and bumpers and red toppers. The effect looks great And adds some “life” to the top of the field .
I also installed reactive pop bumpers. I love them.

I also installed a green light strip to lite up the far left green plastic. It makes a big diferance.

I’m planning on installing a strip light under the blue monorail ramp.

#1243 2 years ago
Quoted from Hapidance:

I made a few simple mods to my Cyclone some folks might be interested in…
Mostly with lighting.
Comet now makes different color LED bulbs for the “subway”
I’ve lit up the “Spook house” hole with a purple LeD strip which lights once the target is hit.
I used flame bulbs for the “1 2 3” lanes with clear star posts and bumpers and red toppers. The effect looks great And adds some “life” to the top of the field .
I also installed reactive pop bumpers. I love them.
I also installed a green light strip to lite up the far left green plastic. It makes a big diferance.
I’m planning on installing a strip light under the blue monorail ramp.

Sounds nice, pics?

#1244 2 years ago

I need to replace flasher lamp 1251 but I'm finding different base types. Which is correct for Cyc? 28V or 6.5? 12? I found a S8 base and also a ba15S so...

#1245 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I need to replace flasher lamp 1251 but I'm finding different base types. Which is correct for Cyc? 28V or 6.5? 12? I found a S8 base and also a ba15S so...

#1251 use the same base as #89 lamps, #63 etc.

#1246 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

#1251 use the same base as #89 lamps, #63 etc.

Under the playfield ball catwalk... I believe they used laydown style lamp sockets.

#1247 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Under the playfield ball catwalk... I believe they used laydown style lamp sockets.

Yes it's a lay-down socket. My question really is the bulb base type or number used. I googled 1251 lamp and saw 2 different types and voltages. One was a 28V and the other 6.5V. I just bought some NOS GE 89's but not sure if I can use them in there. The 89 is a 12V correct?

#1248 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Sounds nice, pics?

My pics are crappy but I’ll give it a shot.
I forgot to mention I found a Hurricane ferriswheel plastic I’m installing I. My cyclone. I think it will look great

29102317-7220-4544-97D8-FBC3A0D3B78E (resized).jpeg29102317-7220-4544-97D8-FBC3A0D3B78E (resized).jpeg82BB5B64-9CC3-4660-B8E0-6BA63AD38C9E (resized).jpeg82BB5B64-9CC3-4660-B8E0-6BA63AD38C9E (resized).jpeg9732E335-E17E-49AF-88D2-160E215405DE (resized).jpeg9732E335-E17E-49AF-88D2-160E215405DE (resized).jpeg
#1249 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yes it's a lay-down socket. My question really is the bulb base type

Comet has 28v LEDs in multiple colors for those subway lights . Thy are fantastic!

#1250 2 years ago
Quoted from Hapidance:

Comet has 28v LEDs in multiple colors for those subway lights . Thy are fantastic!

Good to know! Do you need to do any mods for LED's in flashers as in HS? You know, clipping resistors?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,804 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-clubmembers-only/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.