pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0358 (resized).JPG
IMG_0356 (resized).JPG
IMG_0357 (resized).JPG
There are 1,804 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 37.
#1001 3 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Had a couple people ask about the flag kit, so we ran the OEM springs as well as the original flag art (and added some bonus flags) - now available. Also have the springs 10-405. On the main page just got them sorted out today!
Planetary Pinball[quoted image][quoted image]

Bought the kit, I’ll post pictures of the install.

#1002 3 years ago

Hey guys, fairly new to the pinball world. I inherited my Cyclone pinball machine from my father-in-law. I recently took all the plastics off and cleaned the machine and put down some wax. I am now getting an Adjust Switch 57 error message as well as an Adjust Switch 58. I assume these are the flipper switches as the machine also wont allow me to enter initials if you get a high score or switch the gates at the top of the play field. Any help would be appreciated.

#1003 3 years ago
Quoted from dave059:

Hey guys, fairly new to the pinball world. I inherited my Cyclone pinball machine from my father-in-law. I recently took all the plastics off and cleaned the machine and put down some wax. I am now getting an Adjust Switch 57 error message as well as an Adjust Switch 58. I assume these are the flipper switches as the machine also wont allow me to enter initials if you get a high score or switch the gates at the top of the play field. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the club! You are correct, those switches are the right and left "flipper lane change" switches. Probably a good idea to download the manual if you don't have it....

https://www.ipdb.org/files/617/Williams_1988_Cyclone_Manual_Schematics.pdf

See page 30 for the switch matrix and test/diagnostics. Were they working before you worked on the machine?

#1004 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Welcome to the club! You are correct, those switches are the right and left "flipper lane change" switches. Probably a good idea to download the manual if you don't have it....
https://www.ipdb.org/files/617/Williams_1988_Cyclone_Manual_Schematics.pdf
See page 30 for the switch matrix and test/diagnostics. Were they working before you worked on the machine?

I know before I got the machine he was having issues with the gates at the top but I am not sure about the initials part. I do have the manual, I will take a look at it. Thanks for the help!!

#1005 3 years ago
Quoted from dave059:

I know before I got the machine he was having issues with the gates at the top but I am not sure about the initials part. I do have the manual, I will take a look at it. Thanks for the help!!

The same switches that let you change the initials also let you change which lanes are lit at the top. So it makes sense that they're both having issues. Would probably also make sense that if one switch is stuck closed, that the other one might not be able to do it's job. I'll take a look at mine and shoot some pics.

#1006 3 years ago

This is what things should look like by your flipper coils....

1607530697777624294712 (resized).jpg1607530697777624294712 (resized).jpg1607530739751466126573 (resized).jpg1607530739751466126573 (resized).jpg

The switches that are open are the ones you should be checking. Make sure they're open when the flipper is down and that they close when the flipper is up. Also make sure wires and diodes are still attached.

#1007 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

This is what things should look like by your flipper coils....
[quoted image][quoted image]
The switches that are open are the ones you should be checking. Make sure they're open when the flipper is down and that they close when the flipper is up. Also make sure wires and diodes are still attached.

Thanks for the pictures. That really helped me understand what I should be looking at. From what I can see, it looks like they are open when the flippers are down and do close when the flippers are up. I gently tugged on all the wires and they all seem to be attached tightly. Could the switches contacts just need cleaned?

#1008 3 years ago
Quoted from grimholtz:

Another David -- David Gersic -- says he has Photoshop PSD files for the flag images. Someone contact him!

David Gersic sent me to Photoshop PSD files. You can also open these in Gimp. There are 10 of them, and they look great!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mLs2MddeAfY2vVDuzdqAz6M71kg3R_O8/view?usp=sharing

#1009 3 years ago
Quoted from J67ab:

Bought the kit, I’ll post pictures of the install.

Excited to see this. I tried to purchase today with PayPal, but I could not complete their checkout process. The form selected "Outside US" with option to change that to USA and to edit the state. So when I click submit, there were errors on the form that can't be fixed. Sale lost for them, I guess.

#1010 3 years ago
Quoted from dave059:

Thanks for the pictures. That really helped me understand what I should be looking at. From what I can see, it looks like they are open when the flippers are down and do close when the flippers are up. I gently tugged on all the wires and they all seem to be attached tightly. Could the switches contacts just need cleaned?

Hmmm, are you slingshots and jet bumper all firing and scoring? They're all in the same column in the switch matrix with the lane change. You can just take a dollar bill and run it through the switch while you hold it closed. You don't want to do any hard core cleaning or filing on those switches. Seems suspicious that both would be not working due to them being dirty.

#1011 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Hmmm, are you slingshots and jet bumper all firing and scoring? They're all in the same column in the switch matrix with the lane change. You can just take a dollar bill and run it through the switch while you hold it closed. You don't want to do any hard core cleaning or filing on those switches. Seems suspicious that both would be not working due to them being dirty.

Everything else seems to be working fine. I took a business card and ran that between the switches. That didnt seem to do anything. Might just be something I will have to wait and have someone with more experience come to my house and look at once all this craziness is all done. Thanks for all your help!!

#1012 3 years ago

Cyclone in a darkened room is not very bright -- it could really use some light mods. Any advice?

#1013 3 years ago
Quoted from dave059:

Everything else seems to be working fine. I took a business card and ran that between the switches. That didnt seem to do anything. Might just be something I will have to wait and have someone with more experience come to my house and look at once all this craziness is all done. Thanks for all your help!!

No problem, glad to at least try to help. One last easy thing you can try is reseating the connectors on the MPU. That's all I had to do to get some of the lights working on my Comet a little while ago. You would be looking for 1J8 and 1J10, they should be on the opposite side of the batteries. While you're at it just take a look at the wires there and make sure nothing is suspicious. If that doesn't fix the problem you are indeed getting into deeper stuff.

Since I mentioned batteries, be sure to change them often if they're still on the board. If they did leak already, that could cause lots of issues. Options to get the batteries off the board are NVRAM (no more batteries) or out in a remote holder so they're away from all the boards.

#1014 3 years ago
Quoted from grimholtz:

Cyclone in a darkened room is not very bright -- it could really use some light mods. Any advice?

Quoted from grimholtz:

Some led light strips from comet pinball, 6.3volt. They have a lot of options to brighten up the game

#1015 3 years ago
Quoted from Jrotten:

Some led light strips from comet pinball, 6.3volt. They have a lot of options to brighten up the game

Good stuff, I just put one of those in my Comet. Also put a few of these 4X4s in a few machines...

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/4x4-tower

They brighten things up nicely, but they do need to go places where they can't easily be seen.

#1016 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

No problem, glad to at least try to help. One last easy thing you can try is reseating the connectors on the MPU. That's all I had to do to get some of the lights working on my Comet a little while ago. You would be looking for 1J8 and 1J10, they should be on the opposite side of the batteries. While you're at it just take a look at the wires there and make sure nothing is suspicious. If that doesn't fix the problem you are indeed getting into deeper stuff.
Since I mentioned batteries, be sure to change them often if they're still on the board. If they did leak already, that could cause lots of issues. Options to get the batteries off the board are NVRAM (no more batteries) or out in a remote holder so they're away from all the boards.

Thanks, I had someone put a NVRAM on my board a few weeks ago so I had both of those connectors off when I took the board off. I appreciate the help. If I figure it out or have someone out to fix it, Ill let you know what it was. At least I can still play it with this issue and it just isnt sitting there collecting dust.

#1017 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Good stuff, I just put one of those in my Comet. Also put a few of these 4X4s in a few machines...
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/4x4-tower
They brighten things up nicely, but they do need to go places where they can't easily be seen.

Jay, can you post some photos of this? I'd like to know where you placed everything so I can copy...

thank you!

also did you get Wedge or Bayonet?

#1018 3 years ago
Quoted from grimholtz:

Jay, can you post some photos of this? I'd like to know where you placed everything so I can copy...
thank you!
also did you get Wedge or Bayonet?

I can, but just to be clear they're in my Comet machine, not the Comet ramp in my Cyclone. I haven't done anything with my Cyclone, it already had full LEDs when I purchased. I might add some of the 4X4 towers and possibly the pop bumper rings.

#1019 3 years ago

All of the recent posts here about the multipliers prompted me to play a few games this evening.
Back in the late 80's, I was all about achieving a free game on Cyclone, on location, since I was financially challenged at the time & quarter lives mattered. If the opportunity presented itself, I would go for the risky SPECIAL via the boomerang. Do not ignore the value of "back-hand" shots!
Sorry for the amateurish head-cam video. And keep in mind, my goal for this was to reach 7x multiplier ONLY, although it's my habit to go for the million anytime double scoring is in play... since I'd get 2 million if successful. What you see here took me about 10 games, although I haven't played in several months. I use to be a better player but I'm out of practice. (And my 6x bulb is kaput apparently.)

Back-hand shots from the left flipper are available on Cyclone for the Ferris Wheel (easy), Boomerang (not as easy), the Cyclone Ramp (easy if you're having a good day), & Cyclone targets. The only useful back-hand shots from the right flipper is to send the ball back to the top of the playfield to light the CAB switches for double scoring, or to hit the single Cyclone target to the right of the Spook House...in my experience.

#1020 3 years ago

Trying to diagnose a friend's cyclone and it's pretty much working okay but it's throwing out an error on c18 center drop target.. the connector looks to have one iffy connection so I'm planning on replacing it with molex. Maybe that changes all the problems...idk.

Game plays fine except it won't kick the ball out (trough switch does work, as do all other switches in edge test), the center drop won't pop up, and the shuttle/boomerang/knocker are all...overactive I guess? For example when the shooter lane switch is returned to open after launching the ball the knocker fires a BUNCH of times, as though in unison with the flashers that are legitimately supposed to be flashing. Any ideas?

He said he sent the MPU out to be checked over and it was fine, but he didn't send out any other boards. I did notice the F4 fuse on the aux power board was blown so I replaced that. All other fuses tested fine.

20201218_175213 (resized).jpg20201218_175213 (resized).jpg
#1021 3 years ago
Quoted from grimholtz:

I found the Evo Britecaps from Pinball Life (https://www.pinballlife.com/britecaps-evo-pop-bumper-lighting.html) help light the upper playfield quite a bit. You can use them on the upper two pop bumpers. The ramps interfere with using them on the third one. Also, as has already been suggested the tower LEDs and LED strips from Comet Pinball help a lot too. I was always disappointed how the monorail looked so made my own LED strip to put under it. I used Comet Pinball 555 warm white LEDs. I picked them apart and then used wirewrap wire to connect them together. I used double sticky tape to hold the leds in place. It is farily easy to snake the wires up to the top of the righthand side of the playfield and then down underneath the playfield using the ramp switch access hole. Then attached them to the GI buss. I agree with you if you just used 555 bulbs on Cyclone it is very dim. If ordering the tower LEDS you would want the bayonet base. Joe

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG
#1022 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Trying to diagnose a friend's cyclone and it's pretty much working okay but it's throwing out an error on c18 center drop target.. the connector looks to have one iffy connection so I'm planning on replacing it with molex. Maybe that changes all the problems...idk.
Game plays fine except it won't kick the ball out (trough switch does work, as do all other switches in edge test), the center drop won't pop up, and the shuttle/boomerang/knocker are all...overactive I guess? For example when the shooter lane switch is returned to open after launching the ball the knocker fires a BUNCH of times, as though in unison with the flashers that are legitimately supposed to be flashing. Any ideas?
He said he sent the MPU out to be checked over and it was fine, but he didn't send out any other boards. I did notice the F4 fuse on the aux power board was blown so I replaced that. All other fuses tested fine.
[quoted image]

Can you put it into solenoid test and note what does and does not work?

#1023 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Can you put it into solenoid test and note what does and does not work?

The only thing that didn't work was the ball kickout. But the knocker fired with a bunch of different tests. Someone told me that if the A/C relay on the aux power board is going out it can cause this behavior. Does that seem at all possible?

#1024 3 years ago

The only thing that didn't work was the ball kickout. But the knocker fired with a bunch of different tests. Someone told me that if the A/C relay on the aux power board is going out it can cause this behavior. Does that seem at all possible?

I know that if the ac relays goes out, coils will fire in test mode for the correspond flasher on the same transistor, or perhaps vice versa depending on which state it is stuck in. I would check the diode on the Aux Driver board for the knocker first. Maybe the transistor and predriver next, then report back. There are some really good system 11 techs on here that will surely be able to help.

#1025 3 years ago

For anyone who has purchased any of my coasters in the past (Comet, Cyclone, Hurricane) could you please post pics of them installed? I've had a few people ask where they go, but since I don't own any of the coaster pins its just a guess on my part.

#1026 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I know that if the ac relays goes out, coils will fire in test mode for the correspond flasher on the same transistor, or perhaps vice versa depending on which state it is stuck in. I would check the diode on the Aux Driver board for the knocker first. Maybe the transistor and predriver next, then report back. There are some really good system 11 techs on here that will surely be able to help.

Finally made it over today with my (working) Taxi Aux board and that fixed all of his issues. So, therein lies the problem. He's ordering a Rottendog replacement.

#1027 3 years ago

Finally made it over today with my (working) Taxi Aux board and that fixed all of his issues. So, therein lies the problem. He's ordering a Rottendog replacement.

Those boards are easy to rebuild.

#1028 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Those boards are easy to rebuild.

Even for someone who's never done any sort of board repair? I suppose I could offer that up, but I've never even so much as replaced header pins...

#1029 3 years ago

Picked up a Cylone a few months ago and overall it's in great shape, everything works perfect and plays fantastic. The one issue is the playfield has damage where the ball drops out of the ramps (both sides). After thousands of hits it's worn through the top layers of the playfield. Can anyone suggest a 'fix' or point me in the direction of a NOS playfield? Would love to get this looking better as it's about the only imperfection on the machine!

#1030 3 years ago
Quoted from redmerlin:

Picked up a Cylone a few months ago and overall it's in great shape, everything works perfect and plays fantastic. The one issue is the playfield has damage where the ball drops out of the ramps (both sides). After thousands of hits it's worn through the top layers of the playfield. Can anyone suggest a 'fix' or point me in the direction of a NOS playfield? Would love to get this looking better as it's about the only imperfection on the machine!

Cliffy makes switch slot protectors. They're not the prettiest thing in the world but they'll cover the damage and prevent it from getting worse. IIRC they're $15 for a set. That or mylar would likely be your best option. I went the Cliffy route with my Taxi and World Cup Soccer.

#1032 3 years ago
Quoted from redmerlin:

Can anyone suggest a 'fix' or point me in the direction of a NOS playfield?

CPR made repro playfields — sold out, unfortunately — but I bet there’s a decent chance you’ll get a bite if you put up a WTB ad in the marketplace.

#1034 3 years ago

I guess I put them on my Cactus Jack's as well (not sure why I bothered..my playfield looks AWFUL)... I really don't 'love' the way they look, but for me this one is a function over beauty issue, and they do work.

Cliff still sends you a free t-shirt if you place a $150 order in any given year. I got one last year. Love free merch. lol

http://www.passionforpinball.com/logoshirt.htm

#1035 3 years ago

We have Cyclone CPR Gold Playfields ... only a couple left ... www.pinball.com

#1036 3 years ago

I'm looking for a couple of plastics for my Cyclone. Pictures aren't great, but I need the lower left slingshot and a piece at the top of playfield near the ferris wheel.
plastic_LI (resized).jpgplastic_LI (resized).jpgslingplastic (resized).jpgslingplastic (resized).jpg

#1037 3 years ago
Quoted from Idahojerry:

I'm looking for a couple of plastics for my Cyclone. Pictures aren't great, but I need the lower right slingshot and a piece at the top of playfield near the ferris wheel.[quoted image][quoted image]

Those are all gross on the one I'm tearing down, too. I assume those are ones that are commonly busted up.

1 week later
#1038 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Thanks for the flag info. I think I have 16 out of the 17. Figured I was missing more than that since my sheet starts at #8 (see post above). I can clean up that page and scan them if anybody would like a copy.
Now should we move on to the left monorail vs. right monorail debate? Left monorail rules!!!

I would love to have a copy of you still have it. Thank you

#1039 3 years ago

I was wondering if someone could send me a couple pics of the connecting wires going to the flash lamp resistor board inside the game. I’m finally getting around to hooking it all up and I don’t have a pic of them before I took them apart. Thank you

#1040 3 years ago

Didn't get it all done in one day like I had hoped, but it's coming along. This thing was diiiiiirty.

The amount of t-nuts that are smashed flat rather than being properly anchored into the wood is OBSCENE on this thing. With how tight some of the posts are, it's making them an absolute nightmare. I'm hoping the blue star posts are less frustration.

20210111_102740 (resized).jpg20210111_102740 (resized).jpg20210111_155209 (resized).jpg20210111_155209 (resized).jpg
#1041 3 years ago

All done. Had to go back and do some rework which kinda of sucked.

Hes going to need a couple new ramps and I need to finish the back box (plus investigate why the right side GI sometimes goes out when the door is closed) and replace the glass trim (which I brought him). But for now he's happy and it's playing great.

20210112_125621 (resized).jpg20210112_125621 (resized).jpg20210112_125939 (resized).jpg20210112_125939 (resized).jpg20210112_182032 (resized).jpg20210112_182032 (resized).jpg20210112_182051(0) (resized).jpg20210112_182051(0) (resized).jpg20210112_183104 (resized).jpg20210112_183104 (resized).jpg
#1042 3 years ago

All done. Had to go back and do some rework which kinda of sucked.
Hes going to need a couple new ramps and I need to finish the back box (plus investigate why the right side GI sometimes goes out when the door is closed) and replace the glass trim (which I brought him). But for now he's happy and it's playing great.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Interesting way to document the high score; my Cyclone must have been a LE model because the MPU will store it and display it. Maybe you can add that feature.

#1043 3 years ago

Yeah, didn't ask. I'm guessing they did that when they had NVRAM installed.

1 week later
#1044 3 years ago

Cyclone art I made. Hope you guys like.

cyclone3.jpgcyclone3.jpgcyclone2.jpgcyclone2.jpgcyclone1.jpgcyclone1.jpg
#1045 3 years ago

that is very cool! Nice work!!! I'd hang that up in my game room

#1046 3 years ago
Quoted from lastlight:

Cyclone art I made. Hope you guys like.

That's really great! And its small enough to even make a fine topper, for those topper obsessed folks!

#1047 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

that is very cool! Nice work!!! I'd hang that up in my game room

Thank-you! Well you can since I offer these in my shop here on Pinside lol. Sure my post is a shameless bit of spam... but you better believe this will be the first place I post when I finally do have issues with my own Cyclone which (knock on wood) is working perfectly for now.

#1048 3 years ago

Was browsing your site yesterday, very cool stuff! Will buy one shortly, just need to decide between white and black.

#1049 3 years ago

Just went through your store. You have some really cool stuff. Now I need to find room on my walls!

#1050 3 years ago

Thanks guys. Call me an overly polite Canadian... I just hate promoting myself. But it's the internet... have to scream a little if you want to get noticed for 30 seconds haha.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,804 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-clubmembers-only/page/21?hl=tomass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.