pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0358 (resized).JPG
IMG_0356 (resized).JPG
IMG_0357 (resized).JPG
There are 1,801 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 37.
#51 10 years ago

Yeah, they are out of stock.

If anyone knows where else to get flags for Cyclone, please let me know! Thanks.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Finally after 8+ weeks of ownership, got to this on my list:
"Replace Duck Target Stickers"
Wow what a difference. Before they were white and ugly, now they look great especially in low lights.
I almost placed them on top of the old stickers, then thought... No way! I unscrewed each target and got ever sliver of old grief off of there with rubbing alcohol and a good thumbnail.
Case Closed.
Enjoy!
-mof

After giving her a good cleaning, that's the first thing I did as well! My ducks were faded and colors were almost white. It was money and time well spent. Much better!

2 weeks later
#53 10 years ago

Problem. (SOLVED!)
"Advance Ferris Wheel" light works GREAT on left side. Every pop bumper shot seems to light it up.

My right side one doesn't work. Already replaced the bulb.

Any ideas? (Yeah, here's an idea: use an actual flasher 89 instead of a 63, nub !)

thanks!
-mof

1 week later
#55 10 years ago

What lamp number is it (pp39 in the manual)?

If it's only the one not working you have to look at the socket.

viperrwk

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

What lamp number is it (pp39 in the manual)?
If it's only the one not working you have to look at the socket.
viperrwk

page40:
the one that works is: 01C
Adv Ferris Wheel Bonus #89 flasher
the one that doesn't work is: 02C

thanks!
-mof

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

page40:
the one that works is: 01C
Adv Ferris Wheel Bonus #89 flasher
the one that doesn't work is: 02C
thanks!
-mof

If the teeth flasher in the backbox isn't working either I would suspect either Q25 or the flashlamp resistor on the resistor board in the cabinet. Have to go look at it to figure out which resistor. Too hard to figure out on the tablet.

viperrwk

1 week later
#58 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

If the teeth flasher in the backbox isn't working either I would suspect either Q25 or the flashlamp resistor on the resistor board in the cabinet. Have to go look at it to figure out which resistor. Too hard to figure out on the tablet.
viperrwk

Teeth flasher? Do you know when that is supposed to light up? Do you mean the front of the roller coaster car?

Do you know what measurement I should take where to test it?
-mof

#59 10 years ago

GOOD GRIEF !!!

It was all me... I was using a new 63 bulb instead of a 89 flasher... LOL !

nub!
-mof

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

GOOD GRIEF !!!
It was all me... I was using a new 63 bulb instead of a 89 flasher... LOL !
nub!
-mof

"AAAAAAAAAAAA!"
"Hey you! With the face!"
Glad you got it.
"Riide the Cyclone! "

viperrwk

#61 10 years ago

Hi All - I joined the club last weekend with my Cyclone purchase. Lucky to find my old time favorite pin for sale locally in great condition. Loving it and got a combo deal on a pac man cabinet, 22" lcd 60 in 1 cocktail arcade too!

#62 10 years ago

So, the ferris wheel motor volume seems to be increasing over the last week of my ownership. Possibly because we're enjoying the heck out of it. Works fine but it is becoming a distraction. I see that new motors are readily available. If I buy a new one, should I replace immediately or wait until the old one burns out? Thanks! ~ Mycal

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Mycal:

So, the ferris wheel motor volume seems to be increasing over the last week of my ownership. Possibly because we're enjoying the heck out of it. Works fine but it is becoming a distraction. I see that new motors are readily available. If I buy a new one, should I replace immediately or wait until the old one burns out? Thanks! ~ Mycal

I hear you on that one, mine is rather loud as well. Would love to know how to quiet it all down and make it happier.
-mof

#64 10 years ago

I just pulled my motor last weekend to get to the Ferris wheel ramp (had a replacement ramp I needed to install).

It was easy to get it out... Under the playfield, I disconnected the connector and then removed the metal ball catcher under the Ferris wheel (two screws). Top-side, I removed the plastic behind the wheel (two screws), then removed the entire assembly (two screws on the bracket), and pulled the whole thing through the hole. Easy.

My motor is working fine, so I didn't replace it, but I did replace a similar motor on my Getaway and it was no big deal. I did notice that the molex pins on the Ferris wheel connector are not 0.093 like I expected; they seem to be the next smaller size. I don't have the right extractor tool for that to re-pin if I ever had to replace it.

Anyway, as long as you have the proper tools to extract and crimp pins, it's easy enough that I suggest you just go ahead and replace the motor and be done with it.

#65 10 years ago

Finally in one of these clubs! Glad to have a Cyclone of our own.
Although ours (I'm posting for my father) has been declining in it's mental health over the last year
Unfortunately it's on the back burner for now.

But it's a crowd favourite for my friends they love it!

#66 10 years ago

Anyone else think the outlanes are BRUTAL on this game?

#67 10 years ago

YES. My friends absolutely LOATHE the sounds of elephants now.

All they think about is the outlanes.

#68 10 years ago

how many Cyclone owners have a full mylar on the playfield? Of those, anyone remove it? If so, how difficult and any issues?

Jesse

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

Anyone else think the outlanes are BRUTAL on this game?

I think they are!

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from JesseB:

how many Cyclone owners have a full mylar on the playfield? Of those, anyone remove it? If so, how difficult and any issues?
Jesse

I'm full mylar up to the pops. I'm keeping it, since the artwork is perfect, and I'd rather not chance it. I am happy with the ball travel. It's smooth.
-mof

#71 10 years ago

Whole set of ramps just posted on eBay for those in need. Not my auction. Fun to see what these end up selling for.

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Whole set of ramps just posted on eBay for those in need. Not my auction. Fun to see what these end up selling for.

Now's a good time to sell any old, used or NOS Cyclone ramps if you hope to get any money for them:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-all-cyclone-owners-new-ramps/page/3#post-1045617

viperrwk

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

There are lots of different Cyclone parts listed from the same seller. I'm guessing the pinball community is missing a Cyclone for good--RIP

4 weeks later
#74 10 years ago

Next thing I'd like to tackle in my Cyclone is the lighting.

Here's my plan:

ALL incandescents with the exception of:
2x,3x,4x,5x,6x,7x = blue non ghosting (6)
bonus, hold = green non ghosting (2)
boomerang = blue non ghosting (1)
shoot again = red non ghosting (1)

I installed 'em, and it's... crazy awesome. They were too bright, so I grabbed a Sharpie, and drew a nice criss-cross pattern across the tops. This dropped the brightness about 15% to better match the incandescent bulbs.

I still would like to kill two line-of-sight design flaws with the game. Anyone have any good ideas for 'em ? I was thinking of installing a grey plastic square underneath the ferris wheel ramp. Another option is a flex LED, but I really don't want to mix LEDs in the GI.

Looking for ideas on how to kill the two line-of-sight (LOS)...

thanks!
-mof

201309_cyclone_10-LEDs.jpg201309_cyclone_10-LEDs.jpg 201309_cyclone_sodas_los.jpg201309_cyclone_sodas_los.jpg 201309_cyclone_boomerang_los.jpg201309_cyclone_boomerang_los.jpg

#75 10 years ago

Also decided it was time to install a shooter light. Since I went 95% incandescent for Cyclone, I decided to install it below the shooter rod, and not drill baby drill through steel. Took 15 minutes, but it's well worth it, since now I can play in low light, and see my skill shot precisely.

I taped the bulb into place so that I can experiment with the location of the bulb before screwing it in.

please enjoy
-mof

201309_cyclone_shooter1.jpg201309_cyclone_shooter1.jpg 201309_cyclone_shooter2.jpg201309_cyclone_shooter2.jpg

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Looking for ideas on how to kill the two line-of-sight (LOS)...

If you want to stay incandescent, you can use a bulb condom:

http://marcospec.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=silicone+lamp+cover

You could also try a different color LED - I'd go with a frosted cap one as that will minimize the hot spot.

For the inserts, I would highly recommend Herg's LED OCD controller and just going all LED. One of the things that is important to me for Cyclone is the light show around the Mystery Wheel. With LEDs, even non-ghosting ones, it doesn't look as good but with Herg's controller and colored LEDs, it looks better than incandescent IMHO.

Additionally, you can control the brightness and fade on every single insert lamp with the controller thus having much more fine-grain control over the light show.

viperrwk

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

If you want to stay incandescent, you can use a bulb condom:
http://marcospec.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=silicone+lamp+cover
You could also try a different color LED - I'd go with a frosted cap one as that will minimize the hot spot.

I might try condoms at some point. Has anyone else done something cool to remedy these two LOS issues?

thanks!
-mof

#78 10 years ago

Now that i'm in the club, i have a question.
Hopefully not a dumb one.

When i goto a site to buy more duck decals (mine are seriously worn down), they also have rabbits.

I figured that was for the other side, but those targets on my cyclone have cats on them, and when i trigger them, they make a meow sounds, so i assume the rabbits don't go there.

Where do the rabbits go? Do they make repro's of the cats? Mine aren't worn too badly, but seems pinball suppliers wack you on shipping, so i'd rather order everything at once.

#79 10 years ago

Yes, the left side three bank has cats on them not rabbits. Little shop of games sells replacements:

http://www.littleshopofgames.com/Decal/zd1targa.html

The same cat decal was used in Cyclone and Bad Cats on the linear target (Python has a thing for cats apparently.) But it is not listed in the parts book for Bad Cats.

I don't know why some places sell the rabbits as replacement unless it's because they don't have the cat decals.

Interesting side fact - there are no duck decals on the targets in the Cyclone flyer. Apparently they hadn't finalized the art for the targets when they did the photo shoot.

viperrwk

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Interesting side fact - there are no duck decals on the targets in the Cyclone flyer. Apparently they hadn't finalized the art for the targets when they did the photo shoot.

Cool. I hadn't noticed that.

You can also find them on ebay (8 available): ebay.com link: itm

$6.50 + 2.25 shipping = $8.75 vs $13.75 total from little shop of games

jcar302: Congrats on the Cyclone purchase! I don't have much repair experience to offer but its great that viperrwk is sharing his knowledge. I hope that you're flippin' at full strength soon. PS I grew up in Brick, NJ. Noticed that you're in Jackson. Did you play Cyclone at Great Adventure, Point Pleasant and Seaside as a youth, like I did?

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from Mycal:

Cool. I hadn't noticed that.
You can also find them on ebay (8 available): Ebay link
$6.50 + 2.25 shipping = $8.75 vs $13.75 total from little shop of games
jcar302: Congrats on the Cyclone purchase! I don't have much repair experience to offer but its great that viperrwk is sharing his knowledge. I hope that you're flippin' at full strength soon. PS I grew up in Brick, NJ. Noticed that you're in Jackson. Did you play Cyclone at Great Adventure, Point Pleasant and Seaside as a youth, like I did?

Ya, viper has been great, i'm getting some good lessons in trouble shooting that should apply to most system 11 games (my favorites), so what i learn will help with future purchases (already have high speed)

I grew up playing cyclone and midway demolition derby (i own one) in long branch, i always lived in jackson, but my grandfather lived on the ocean in long branch, unfortunately that pier met the same fate as half of seaside, fire.
I worked in Great adventure for 7 years as a kid, partied like a rock star in seaside through my 20's and now use pt pleasant for causual boardwalk trips. My wife (34) is from bricktucky (boy does that comment piss her off, lol). I do a fair amount of work over there too. Small world.

On another note, i've still yet to find the ducks for any reasonable shipping amount.
If i go little shop, they want $9 to ship one set of ducks and cats. $9? I've had brake rotors shipped to my house for less than that.

The cats on ebay are a fair price, but i need the ducks alot more.
For the record, i'm not cheap, i just think shipping a .10 lb envelope shouldn't cost $9.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

I grew up playing cyclone

Nice, I didn't make it up to Long Branch too much. We'd hit Asbury Park if we were heading north. It is a shame about Seaside with the hurricane and now the fire. I always wanted to work at GA, but it was just a bit too far. I did work a Point boardwalk game stand one summer. I'm 10 years older than your wife but bricktucky makes me laugh. Its not the town that I grew up in. Can't believe the traffic and quality of life has deteriorated. I moved up to Jersey City after Rutgers, then moved to SF on the west coast in '96.

I hear you about the shipping cost on small items! I bought ferris wheel, laminated ducks and STTNG stickers from http://bayareaamusements.com and paid $4.80 shipping for mailing a padded envelope. It looks like they're out now but have unlaminated ducks and the ghost sticker. Glad to see that your Cyclone is shaping up...Enjoy! I don't see myself ever selling mine.

#83 10 years ago

We goto asbury now and then too. When she moved to jackson, i agreed we could goto the ocean often, so...

I swapped in my spare 11a board and cyclone is all good to go. I'll send the original out to be fixed.
Put in some new rubber, ramp protectors too.

I can see how the ramps get all busted up, with fresh flippers the ball flys out of the playfield with ease, even jumped off the center ramp and over it to the top of the playfield.

Any suggestions for lighting up the playfield better? Not sure i'm ready to drop 2 bills on led's yet,

But the general lighting which all works, seems pretty dim. Definitely not playing real well in the dark.

#84 10 years ago

I haven't switched to LEDs, but Cyclone might be a good candidate. It does look rather dim next to LEDed pins on either side.

#85 10 years ago

I'm glad that you still make it over to the ocean. If I want my boardwalk fix, I have a 2 hour drive to Santa Cruz. Glad to hear that your Cyclone is good to go!

My Comet ramp is busted up on the entry and at the end (drop) but I have ramp protectors and picked up a replacement on ebay but haven't installed yet because it plays fine.

I highly recommend LEDs! They look great, especially on mystery wheel and flashers behind the translite. Here's a link to a crappy photo of mine: images.craigslist.org link

They were already installed when I bought it for $1,900 last month.

#86 10 years ago

Well, i ordered the coin take GI kit for the time being so that i can finish changing out the rest of the rubber, didn't want to take it all apart just to have to do it again immediately for bulbs.

After letting a few people play cyclone, people seem to like it alot better than the high speed i have.
I'm starting to understand the "flow" comments people make about pinball, you get in a groove with cyclone and you can really ring up some points.

Just seems like such a violent game compared to my high speed. I really do see how so many of these are beat to death. The ball smashes off of so many things at full power.

That poor spook house guy, not sure how he still works, ball hits him then something else (many times the glass) so hard every time.

I even had the ball go up the right side and loop around and get stuck under the rubber between the ferris wheel and pop bumpers (all the way to the top).

This game is much more fun than i remember it to be, then again that was over 20 years ago and i had to pay to play it.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

After letting a few people play cyclone, people seem to like it alot better than the High Speed i have.

Same at my house... for non-pinheads that is. HS is too difficult for them.

Quoted from jcar302:

The ball smashes off of so many things at full power.

Have you checked to make sure the correct flipper coils are installed?

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

Same at my house... for non-pinheads that is. HS is too difficult for them.

Have you checked to make sure the correct flipper coils are installed?

Ya, flippers are all brand new, whoever wired them before had a disaster of a mess, probably what caused some of the board issues i had. So i replaced most of the parts including the coils with the right ones.

They just seem really powerful for a pin that has so many short shots.

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Ya, flippers are all brand new, whoever wired them before had a disaster of a mess, probably what caused some of the board issues i had. So i replaced most of the parts including the coils with the right ones.
They just seem really powerful for a pin that has so many short shots.

I agree that my Cyclone is a bit on the powerful side. It feels really good overall to me. I think it's important to protect the front of the Cyclone ramp and find a way to minimize wear on the ball drop from Cyclone->Comet ramp.

-mof

#90 10 years ago

I wanted to share a quick tip/mod I did for my Cyclone Pinball. I re-built the flippers for the game changing out everything. It gave me of course nice strong flippers but maybe a bit to strong. If I hit the right flipper too hard for the Comet Ramp, my ball would sometimes fly off the back corner of the ramp and hit the Ferris Wheel. Kind of a bummer for gameplay if the ball is launching off the ramp. I had to figure out a way to make that ramp higher to keep the ball in play. If anyone else is having the same issue, this is what I did and it works perfectly. I took the clear plastic collar ring used to keep the collar firm from a brand new dress shirt and trimmed it down a bit. Then I just taped it inside the outer curve of the Comet ramp that goes in front of the Ferris Wheel. Low and behold, the ball never ever flies off the ramp! No matter how hard it is hit, the ball stays on the Comet ramp and completes the shot. And the nice part about it is that its practically invisible. Unless I point it out, no one knows that it is there. It blends right in. So that's my little quick mod I wanted to share. I hope if anyone else has this issue that you can use this mod to fix the problem. Good luck!

#91 10 years ago

Hmmm. Think I'll put off rebuilding my flippers for the time being... I like how they are now. Not weak, but not overly powerful.
My pop bumpers need a rebuild, or re-sleeving at a minimum, for sure though.

#92 10 years ago

I noticed today the bezel is missing from my coin door return. Not sure what it even looks like. Is there a place i can get one?

#93 10 years ago

My ball sticks coming out of the ferris wheel 1/4 times and goes around 2 times. Has anyone solved this? I have an extra band ready in case that's part of the fix. I bought it just as a backup plan in case some day it's slipping on the motor with the original band.

thanks!
-mof

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

My ball sticks coming out of the ferris wheel 1/4 times and goes around 2 times. Has anyone solved this? I have an extra band ready in case that's part of the fix. I bought it just as a backup plan in case some day it's slipping on the motor with the original band.
thanks!
-mof

About the only thing that could be is that the ferris wheels is deformed a little bit and the ball is wedged in there.

One of the sites has new ferris wheels in red and blue. Did they even come with blue when new? I like blue better than red and have been thinking of swapping it out.

#95 10 years ago

The blue Ferris wheel is for Hurricane.

If the Ferris wheel doesn't deliver the ball smoothly to the ramp it could stay in and go around again. Check the belt, mount, hub and side plastic.

viperrwk

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

The blue Ferris wheel is for Hurricane.
If the Ferris wheel doesn't deliver the ball smoothly to the ramp it could stay in and go around again. Check the belt, mount, hub and side plastic.
viperrwk

Does the blue one fit just the same?

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Does the blue one fit just the same?

It's the same. If you like blue you can put it in place of the red one.

Personally, I wouldn't do it because it would upset the color balance of the game. The left side is generally red and the right side is generally blue (the posts give it away.) But give it a shot and see how it looks. If it makes you happy it's a good mod.

viperrwk

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

thanks!
-mof

Mine did this when I first brought it home, and 75% of the time the ball would actually jam the wheel on the trip back up. I tried a new playfield rubber as a replacement and still had the problem, even after adjusting everything. I then put on an actual drive belt it hasn't happened once in hundreds of games. Well worth the $6.50!

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-CY03-8145

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from msarac:

Mine did this when I first brought it home, and 75% of the time the ball would actually jam the wheel on the trip back up. I tried a new playfield rubber as a replacement and still had the problem, even after adjusting everything. I then put on an actual drive belt it hasn't happened once in hundreds of games. Well worth the $6.50!
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-CY03-8145

Ok will try mine then. Any tips on replacing it? Is it easy?
-mof

#100 10 years ago

It's pretty easy to get the whole assembly out. If you're a Pinball Ninja subscriber, he has a video that shows the repair.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,801 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-clubmembers-only/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.