pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0358 (resized).JPG
IMG_0356 (resized).JPG
IMG_0357 (resized).JPG
There are 1,804 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 37.
#651 5 years ago

I picked up a cyclone last week. It's rough but should be a fun project.

Does anyone have any used ramps for sale?

I'm hoping to find some with minor damage that someone swapped out for new set since my game isn't all that nice, but my ramps are basically useless.

#652 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I'm hoping to find some with minor damage that someone swapped out for new set since my game isn't all that nice, but my ramps are basically useless.

Last time I checked eBay has quite a few used ones. Starship Fantasy also has new sets.

#653 5 years ago

Can someone please take a photo of the backbox lock mech? Looking for where the cam attaches to the rod.

#654 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I was thinking about picking up a Ferris wheel ramp from starship. My existing one is pretty nice, just not as nice as the other 2 which are new. I'd be willing to sell the old one relatively cheap if I do, probably like $35 + shipping.

#655 5 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

I was thinking about picking up a Ferris wheel ramp from starship. My existing one is pretty nice, just not as nice as the other 2 which are new. I'd be willing to sell the old one relatively cheap if I do, probably like $35 + shipping.

I'll have to take a look at mine. I think that's my only decent one but I still may want to upgrade.

#656 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I may be getting as new set. My current ones have some minor damage that can't be seen from the players point of view.

I'll let you know if that happens.

#657 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I'll have to take a look at mine. I think that's my only decent one but I still may want to upgrade.

Not surprised, the Ferris wheel takes the least of the beatings. Probably not worth an upgrade unless it's cracked. Actually a bit surprised starship even produced the Ferris wheel, it did come out after the others.

#658 5 years ago

Tech question - I was replacing the flashers and now I have an issue with the Boomerang flashers (next to the subway). When I power the game on, the flashers are lit constantly. I removed them to avoid blowing a transistor. What could be causing this? Maybe GRUMPY knows?

#659 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Tech question - I was replacing the flashers and now I have an issue with the Boomerang flashers (next to the subway). When I power the game on, the flashers are lit constantly. I removed them to avoid blowing a transistor. What could be causing this? Maybe grumpy knows?

What bulb did you use when replacing the flashers?

#660 5 years ago
Quoted from Andyzola87:

What bulb did you use when replacing the flashers?

Yeah I figured out after that the Boomerang flasher is a 28V (1251). Are all three flashers under there 1251s? There is one near the scoop and two that light up the subway / spook house.

#661 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yeah I figured out after that the Boomerang flasher is a 28V (1251). Are all three flashers under there 1251s? There is one near the scoop and two that light up the subway / spook house.

No I believe it’s just the boomerang Flashers that use the 1251. I just ordered some from Amazon yesterday to replace the burnt 89’s someone put in there.

1AD61E03-E3B1-4828-B465-2969E1B3DD50 (resized).png1AD61E03-E3B1-4828-B465-2969E1B3DD50 (resized).png

#662 5 years ago

Finally got my Cyclone setup next to my other system 11. Love this game!!

4E12B9DB-58BD-4C39-B8A9-18D92DBD680B (resized).jpeg4E12B9DB-58BD-4C39-B8A9-18D92DBD680B (resized).jpeg

#663 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Can someone please take a photo of the backbox lock mech? Looking for where the cam attaches to the rod.

Here you go, I had to drill out the lock that was in mine due to no keys. Installing that cam plate was a PITA! I must have dropped it down the black hole in the head three times and had to fish it out of the bottom box. Hope these help ya!

IMG_8656 (resized).JPGIMG_8656 (resized).JPG

IMG_8654 (resized).JPGIMG_8654 (resized).JPG

IMG_8655 (resized).JPGIMG_8655 (resized).JPG

#664 5 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Actually a bit surprised starship even produced the Ferris wheel

This ramp had been in the works for some time but was not completed until starship took over the ramp products from James who retired from the ramp business 3 years ago. James had stated a few times this ramp was coming it just was delayed. Yes it shouldn't break but it plastic and its a ramp in a pinball. The new one may never break under normal conditions its made way better then the factory original.

#665 5 years ago
Quoted from 72Devilz:

Here you go, I had to drill out the lock that was in mine due to no keys. Installing that cam plate was a PITA! I must have dropped it down the black hole in the head three times and had to fish it out of the bottom box. Hope these help ya!

Yes this is perfect! Thanks. Marco has that piece in stock.

#666 5 years ago
Quoted from cp1610:

This ramp had been in the works for some time but was not completed until starship took over the ramp products from James who retired from the ramp business 3 years ago. James had stated a few times this ramp was coming it just was delayed. Yes it shouldn't break but it plastic and its a ramp in a pinball. The new one may never break under normal conditions its made way better then the factory original.

The comet and cyclone ramps were badly needed as most were cracked or broken due to the ball flying into them. I think the ferris ramp was more about anal collectors wanting everything to be new and perfect. Not that there are any anal collectors on pinside

#667 5 years ago

Anyone recall if the topper ever came with balloons? My friend swears it did.

#668 5 years ago
Quoted from shepP:

Cyclone had a topper!?

#669 5 years ago
Quoted from shepP:

Quoted from Andyzola87:

Cyclone had a topper!?

No.

1 month later
#670 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Checking one more time on this before I break down and just buy a new set

#671 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

buy the new set they make the game pop!

#672 5 years ago

So I bought a reproduction set of ramps a few months ago and was wondering if protectors are still needed for those.
What did you guys do, did you add the protector from mantis to the already beefed up ramps or you even didn't bother at all to swap the original protector?
Side question: Are there even reproduction of the original protector?
Are the modification from the service bulletin for the subway (pad+bracket under the drop) still necessary to apply?
Also, does someone have the files for the decals of the ghost, the duck target, the ferris wheel couple and finally the mystery wheel (which I think I saw at one point on another thread) so that I could print some new ones?

#673 5 years ago
Quoted from Houkaka:

So I bought a reproduction set of ramps a few months ago and was wondering if protectors are still needed for those.
What did you guys do, did you add the protector from mantis to the already beefed up ramps or you even didn't bother at all to swap the original protector?

I kept the Mantis protector at the end of the Comet ramp--the one that protects the inside walls. Even if the ramp is much thicker now, the ball hits the end of that ramp so hard. That's the only one that I kept. My Comet ramp was pretty trashed before. Those Mantis protectors saved my game until the repro ramps came out.

1 month later
#674 5 years ago

I Have a set of used ramps available, pm me if interested, might motivate me to switch out the Ferris ramp too.

1 week later
#675 5 years ago

So since no one is manufacturing the shuttle ramps, I'll try myself at it.
I'm also planning on doing the mystery wheel since no ones seems to sell it, I'll probably redesign the shaft portion.
Is there any other parts that needs to be addressed? They could be of any type: molded, machined, sheet metal, etc.

#676 5 years ago
Quoted from Houkaka:

I'm also planning on doing the mystery wheel since no ones seems to sell it, I'll probably redesign the shaft portion.
Is there any other parts that needs to be addressed? They could be of any type: molded, machined, sheet metal, etc.

My mystery wheel is cracked so I would be interested if I can’t get mine fixed.

#677 5 years ago
Quoted from Houkaka:

Nobody makes the “ride the cyclone piece” I was going to try and flambé a piece of plastic into the same shape and then ask a sticker guy to copy the decal.

#678 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Sold my ramps, nice to meet you!

#679 5 years ago

I think I'm going to keep mine until they get worse. Sorry, $$$ is tight at the moment.

#680 5 years ago

Not looking forward to this project but my three year old son keeps requesting I fix it. I got this machine for cheap and it's been sitting for a few years in my garage. The playfield is filthy and has a layer of scum built up on it. Smells kinds musty too, anybody got any thoughts how to correct this? No power supply, sound board, or mpu board was in the machine, but I've purchased replacements. I've started cleaning portions of the playfield with alcohol and a magic eraser and it's cleaning up better then I thought. I need to strip the playfield though to clean everything and touch-up the paint in a few spots. Those dam ramps are too hard to clean under.

I've redid a comet and love the theme. One day I hope to finish this thing!

Trying to resurrect this thing from the dead!

IMG_20180829_202236 (resized).jpgIMG_20180829_202236 (resized).jpgIMG_20180830_214813 (resized).jpgIMG_20180830_214813 (resized).jpgIMG_20180830_215111 (resized).jpgIMG_20180830_215111 (resized).jpgIMG_20180830_215122 (resized).jpgIMG_20180830_215122 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#681 5 years ago

Anyone have a spare left sling plastic they would sell me?

#682 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Anyone have a spare left sling plastic they would sell me?

pm sent

#683 5 years ago

I inherited a Cyclone a month or so ago. It was missing a few of the target stickers (no ducks) and I also replaced all the rubber a few days ago. It made a huge difference in the liveliness of the game. I see that the square red target to the right of the spook house doesn't have any sticker on it either. Is that normally blank or is something missing?

#684 5 years ago
Quoted from cozmopin:

Is that normally blank or is something missing?

Normally blank. Welcome to the club!

#685 5 years ago
Quoted from cozmopin:

I inherited a Cyclone a month or so ago.

Welcome! Take a seat, please remember to keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle and enjoy the ride!
Please, show it to us!

Quoted from cozmopin:

Is that normally blank or is something missing?

Totally normal. The target is kinda thrown in there to fill the spot. Probably to have a minimum of possibilities of where to shoot on the layout, although this target is crammed between the comet, the back lane and the spook house shot. Most of the time that I'm hitting it is because I missed my shot.

Quoted from cozmopin:

It was missing a few of the target stickers (no ducks)

Which I see quite often, don't know why but those are always beaten to death or completely washed out. I still need to replace mines but they seems to be hard to find from time to time compared to the cat target stickers (tho I've seem some online, but they were in Europe or Australia).
Would like to know if its because the duck target weren't used as much as the cat decals (which I've seen in Bad Cats Cyclone and Hurricane) or if it's only because Bad Cats is a more popular game? Just curious about it if someone has a clue.

Quoted from waynestatemac:

One day I hope to finish this thing!

Seems like you are missing a few parts, like the Ferris wheel assembly for instance.
Most of the parts for this machine are easily available so you shouldn't have a hard time finding them.
For the smell, maybe the cab has some water damage.
Playfield seems like a good candidate for a swap (CPR still has some bronze playfieds) and the ramps look only a little dirty but in good shape overall.
I hope the best for you about this project, feel free to ask for help and keep us informed!

#686 5 years ago

This machine was purchased by my parents 10-15 years ago from a mall arcade and has been at their house since. It is in great shape compared to many I've seen. The comet ramp has been repaired so I'll probably get a replacement for that eventually. There's a few places where the mylar is peeling. I have some bulbs on the way as well. I've noticed 2 that are burned out but there's probably more.

Last night I hit the ball toward the spook house but not hard enough to make it into the hole. It got just above the drop target and the drop target popped back up and the ball got stuck there behind it until I nearly tilted the machine to get it to fall into the hole. I'm fairly certain that will never happen again. I'd probably have a better chance of winning the lottery.

IMG_5193 (resized).JPGIMG_5193 (resized).JPGIMG_5195 (resized).JPGIMG_5195 (resized).JPGIMG_5298 (resized).JPGIMG_5298 (resized).JPG
#687 5 years ago

I'd love to be in the club...
How often do project machines come up?

How scarce are parts?

#688 5 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:I'd love to be in the club...
How scarce are parts?

There are lots of parts for this machine on a few of the parts sites and ebay. I can't answer your other questions though.

#689 5 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I'd love to be in the club...
How scarce are parts?

Seems like there is almost always one for sale somewhere in the US. Bit trickier to find one close to home though. You're probably in a good location, lots of population east and west, and kinda known for pinball. Also depends on what you call a project. They seem to have held up much better than Comets. So odds are if you're looking for a Comet, it will be a project, not so much with a Cyclone.

#690 5 years ago

My comet ramp has this metal brace on it that I'm not sure is original or what. It is riveted on the ramp so i cant take it off. As you can see it sticks out and the ball smacks into the edge of it which can't be good. There was a tapered rubber piece on there which made it not as bad but I don't think that's how it is supposed to be. I'm considering pulling the ramp off and trimming the top edge of that metal so it doesn't stick out.

IMG_5617 (resized).JPGIMG_5617 (resized).JPG
#691 5 years ago
Quoted from cozmopin:

My comet ramp has this metal brace on it that I'm not sure is original or what. It is riveted on the ramp so i cant take it off. As you can see it sticks out and the ball smacks into the edge of it which can't be good. There was a tapered rubber piece on there which made it not as bad but I don't think that's how it is supposed to be. I'm considering pulling the ramp off and trimming the top edge of that metal so it doesn't stick out.
[quoted image]

Strange. The ramp protector isn't supposed to cover the post sleeve quite like that. It seems like the previous owner used a ramp protector for another game on this one. Rivets for those isn't typical either.

Marco has a nice set for the entry and exit of the ramp.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RG-14

#692 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Strange. The ramp protector isn't supposed to cover the post sleeve quite like that. It seems like the previous owner used a ramp protector for another game on this one. Rivets for those isn't typical either.
Marco has a nice set for the entry and exit of the ramp.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RG-14

It looks like I probably just need to trim it to be a similar shape to that one.

#693 5 years ago
Quoted from cozmopin:

It looks like I probably just need to trim it to be a similar shape to that one.

That rivet is a major problem... It interferes with the ball travel and will beat up your ball really badly. If you leave it (and I STRONGLY recommend you dont), you'll want to replace the ball about every 50-100 plays or it will slowly and gradually destroy your playfield and ramps.

#694 5 years ago
Quoted from cozmopin:

[quoted image]

At least yours seems better than my old one, I would remove that rivet and redo the bracket or buy a set of ramp protector if those are stock ramps.
Is it cracked under that bracket?

received_481521058949266 (resized).jpegreceived_481521058949266 (resized).jpegreceived_481521065615932 (resized).jpegreceived_481521065615932 (resized).jpegreceived_481521082282597 (resized).jpegreceived_481521082282597 (resized).jpeg
#695 5 years ago

It doesn't seem to be cracked at all. I can probably just chop the corner off with my dremel without having to take the rivet out. OR I could bend it so it goes behind the post, then bend the screw tab the other way so it'll still be attached.

#696 5 years ago
Quoted from cozmopin:

OR I could bend it so it goes behind the post, then bend the screw tab the other way so it'll still be attached.

Bending it behind the post would be my go to option until I get something to properly replace it, but knowing how brittle the main ramps of this game can be, I wouldn't like to work on the bracket while it's still attached by that rivet.
And about that rivet, I second what TheOnlyest said:

Quoted from TheOnlyest:

That rivet is a major problem... It interferes with the ball travel and will beat up your ball really badly. If you leave it (and I STRONGLY recommend you dont), you'll want to replace the ball about every 50-100 plays or it will slowly and gradually destroy your playfield and ramps.

#697 5 years ago

This seems to have done the trick. The ramp is still protected but the ball can't smack into the metal edge any more.

IMG_5623 (resized).JPGIMG_5623 (resized).JPG
#698 5 years ago

I never thought about the rivet being a problem. I think the shield would stay in place without the rivet actually since it's wrapped around the side of the ramp on one end and screwed down on the other.

#699 5 years ago

I totally understand why these would be riveted if routed - mine have to be adjusted up against the ramp every 30-40 plays or so, and I'm concerned screwing the posts down any tighter may cause damage. I've considered using clear E6000 instead to semi-permanently affix the ramp guard. E6000 stays flexible and should pull off without any significant damage later.

1 month later
#700 5 years ago

Would someone mind snapping a few photos of how thenflippers are suppose to be wired? Specifically for the lane change. Mine isn’t working and I have a few wires detached

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
There are 1,804 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-clubmembers-only/page/14?hl=j67ab and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.