• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220726_155149 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

I bought a Cyclone awhile back thay had pretty extensive alkaline damage on the MPU, however it would boot and play about 75% of the time. If you left the game on for awhile. It would eventually crash mid-game.
This is a keeper game for me so to enhance the reliability, I purchased a Rottendog aftermarket MPU/driver board. With these you have to swap over all your ROMs, PIAs. and processors.
The board worked great for about 3 weeks, then it started crashing mid-game again. Now it won't boot at all.
5v LED comes on. PiA LED flashes. Then the blanking LED flashes.

See the video.

This has to be one of the chips right?? Both boards DID work at the start. I've swapped out a few PIAs, no real change.

DISCLAIMER: Don't click if you're wearing headphones, the machine "chirps" loudly when powered on

#2 1 year ago

Looks like the display is trying to tell you something was a failure, really hard to see.

Order some new chips and swap them. Curious if any of your mpu or pia's are AMI brand, common wisdom is that these fail at a higher rate than motorola parts.

Get some game eproms as well.

On a side note, Rottendog boards don't come with the chips you need to run them? I can understand not coming with game roms, but the processors and support chips should be there.

Order from a reliable source of these parts, counterfeits can be common.

3 weeks later
#3 1 year ago

Getting back to this; I've replaced all the PIAs and rhe 6802s. There is still no change. The board still won't boot. The only thing still original are the ROMs and the NVRAM included with the board.
I'm really not sure where to go wirh this thing next.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Getting back to this; I've replaced all the PIAs and rhe 6802s. There is still no change. The board still won't boot. The only thing still original are the ROMs and the NVRAM included with the board.
I'm really not sure where to go wirh this thing next.

Could be the message is Ram failure or U26 failure
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#5 1 year ago

Update: Just for fun, i started swapping out PIAs again one by one with some of the original 6821 chips. Found the issue! Even though I had all NOS or "used pull" 6821s from Pinball Life, U54 had a bad PIA. Found another bad PIA in U109 casuing the sound to act up.

20220726_155149 (resized).jpg20220726_155149 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-aftermarket-mpu-driver-stopped-booting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.