Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Working (resized).jpg
NoWorkie (resized).jpg
BurntPin (resized).jpg
CyberLights (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hello everyone. First time poster here, looking for some advice. I have acquired a Bally Cybernaut and I am trying to get it going for my wife. It was her dad's and he recently passed, so I'm a little excited to get it working again so her family can relive something from their childhood and maybe we can all make new memories together.

Issue 1: I can't get the playfield lights to work. The lights that are supposed to be always on seem fine, the lights that are in the upper left where the 4 rollover buttons are, work. Lights that are supposed to come for B-L-A-S-T feature and everything else around them do not come on. Nothing lights up for the ION Generator or where the drop targets are. Basically, any lights attached to the 4 boards under the playfield are not functional. This issue is present if you try to play or if you just turn it on and wait for "attract-mode". I am only assuming that there is a common ground somewhere for all of them.

Issue 2: Music/heartbeat doesn't play when trying to play the game. Maybe 1 out of 2 or 3 power cycles will allow me to hear sounds when I test the targets. All targets and switches do score when touched.

What I've done so far:
- Bought new and replaced all boards (4 in the back, and the rectifier board in the bottom), except for the cheap squeak board, I don't know what to replace it with, but I did buy the capacitor rebuild kit for that and replaced the 4 caps. The issue remains the same with all new boards and if I take them out 1 at a time and place the old ones back in. New fuses came with any part that had a fuse, and I've tested the slow blow fuse under the play field by the out hole and it all seems good.
- Inspected all connectors to the boards. No signs of burn damage or corrosion.
- Tested each light individually, all burnt bulbs replaced.
- Reflowed (if that's the right term) all solder joints where connectors would go.

My skill level:
I can somewhat read a schematic. I have no issue soldering. I am a novice using a multimeter, meaning that when I have to use one, I usually ask what setting to I put it on, and what do I need to touch?

I was hoping that this would be easily found by searching the net, and I'm just not having any luck. I already feel like I've dumped unnecessary money into it, but the end goal is priceless in my opinion. Anyone that wants to point me in the right place to start, or any "this is common, check this" tidbits of info, would be extremely appreciated.

#2 1 year ago

Im looking in the manual trying to find something common between the lights you're describing are out, but I'm not really seeing it. Check the manual, page 29 and 30 have the lamp driver and auxiliary lamp driver locations, and maybe highlight all the lamps you're having problems with (https://www.ipdb.org/files/614/Bally_1985_Cybernaut_Electrical_Manual_has_paginated_schematics.pdf)

The ION lamps come from connector J1 and J3, and the Blast letters, ION Bonus and bonus multiplier lamps come from the auxiliary lamp board. Have you tried reseating the plugs on the lamp boards under the playfield? Have you tried reseating the auxiliary lamp board? Have you checked them for bad solder joints? What happens in lamp test mode? What changes happened when swapping from the original boards to the aftermarket boards, or was there no change?

Does the game start up and play properly aside from these light and sound issues? What aftermarket boards are you using? If you're using an Alltek MPU did you set the dip switches properly so it knows you're using it in a Cybernaut?

#3 1 year ago

Hi, thanks for the quick response. I'll get that manual highlighted as soon as I can, maybe tomorrow. But in the meantime, yep, i tried reseating all plugs and bulbs too. I checked for bad solder joints before replacing the boards and reflowed them for safe measure, but none looked cracked or weak. Test mode only flashes the ones that are currently on. No change with any boards I put in. I did set the dip switches according to the instructions from AllTek.
Boards replaced:
-MPU board.
-Solenoid driver board.
-Lamp Driver board.
-Rectifier Board.
-Aux lamp driver board.

The game seems to play properly aside from the issues, but I never know if I'm actually awarded any of the bonuses, etc. as a lot of the multipliers count down and add score after the ball enters the out hole. The image I'm adding isn't an actual pic from my machine, but everything inside the green area does not light except for the yellow arrow on the left and the orange shoot again light. If this is related, the shoot again light seems to always be on.

CyberLights (resized).jpgCyberLights (resized).jpg
#4 1 year ago

How about posting some pictures of the boards with the wiring connected?

#5 1 year ago

Ouch, that's a lot of money spent on boards that didnt fix your issue but your game should be bulletproof once you get it working. Now you know not to shotgun replace stuff without a good reason! I would check for broken wire(s) under the playfield, and try checking the voltage at the bulbs not lighting. Definitely seems like a wiring problem

#6 1 year ago

The first thing I would check are fuses. Looking at some pictures at IPDB, there are a few off board fuses. One is under the playfield (right next to a lamp board) and it looks like there are a couple more that are near the transformer block.

#7 1 year ago

Also would like to see a picture of your original boards.

I always experience connectors need to be repinned in old Bally solid state games in order to make a game reliable.

#8 1 year ago

I found the issue. The board closest to the out hole appears to be the first in sequence. If it doesn't light, none of them will. I focused attention here today and saw a burnt pin. Kind of obvious looking now that I see it. Can't believe I missed it, but that's ok. If I wiggle that wire, nothing happens, but if I put pressure on the connector, everything lights up (all four boards). I'm going to solder the board again and re-pin that connector. Hopefully all will be well at that point. I appreciate everyone so willing to offer advice so quickly. It definitely got me steered in the right direction for troubleshooting. What are some of your favorite sites to get parts from?

BurntPin (resized).jpgBurntPin (resized).jpgNoWorkie (resized).jpgNoWorkie (resized).jpgWorking (resized).jpgWorking (resized).jpg
#9 1 year ago

Nice job! That connector is IDC, but you're gonna wanna replace it with .1" bifurcon crimps, IDC is outdated. For parts websites I like https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/default.asp, but I think he's still closed down due to the passing of his wife, and being busy with his other job. https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/main, https://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php, https://pinballlife.com.

#10 1 year ago

Awesome. Thank you! I'll definitely let you all know if I get this thing going. My next step will be looking at why it doesn't play sound all the time. One thing at a time.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from jtucci:

Awesome. Thank you! I'll definitely let you all know if I get this thing going. My next step will be looking at why it doesn't play sound all the time. One thing at a time.

Try reseating the chips on the sound board, check the solder joints

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cybernaut-playfield-lighting-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.