(Topic ID: 148429)

Cybernaut playfield - a good candidate for first PF restoration attempt?

By anthony691

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by anthony691
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cybernaut_ramp_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 8 years ago

Just added a Cybernaut to my collection

The PF is rough and planked. I was thinking about, if I like the game after I get it flipping, trying my hand at playfield restoration.

A photo of the trouble area is attached.

My thought would be to make water slide decals for the inserts, clean up and level the inserts, touch up the rest freehand with acyrlics, and put down a good CC.

I'm looking for input as to whether this is at least a semi-reasonable plan or a good idea for a first PF restoration project. The only thing I'm not worried about is whether or not a Cybernaut is "worth" the huge time sink of the PF resto---I know it is not which is why I am considering trying it as my first project! I appreciate whatever input.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Edit: oops, wrong sub. How do I ask a mod to move to RSQ?

#2 8 years ago

I would worry about wet clear not settling on the angled playfield section.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I would worry about wet clear not settling on the angled playfield section.

I hadn't even thought of potential issues with the raised PF section. Good point.

#4 8 years ago

As long as you sand the ramp section with 800grit, the clear will stick, no problem.

#5 8 years ago

The ramp is a separate piece attached with some sort of overlay. Remove braces holding it up and lay it down while clearing.

#6 8 years ago

I count 27 inserts that need waterslide decals here. Several inserts appear chipped, and the clear over all of them is certainly beat to hell.

My plan would be to mask off the adjacent PF, knock them all down past the clear/screen printing. Measure the various insert sizes and produce my own decals without resort to scanning or worrying about them lining up with the old printing.

Does this sound sane?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

The ramp is a separate piece attached with some sort of overlay. Remove braces holding it up and lay it down while clearing.

I don't even remember it being a separate piece.

I think it's just a U-shaped slot cut through the playfield and then it's propped up in back, wood flexed.

Same as Fireball.

cybernaut_ramp_(resized).jpgcybernaut_ramp_(resized).jpg

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from anthony691:

My plan would be to mask off the adjacent PF

What adjacent playfield?

Step #1: I'd strip the entire playfield, then scan it.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What adjacent playfield?
Step #1: I'd strip the entire playfield, then scan it.

I was describing trying to sand down the inserts without removing them by masking off the PF surrounding the insert.

This sounds kind of half-assed, so I'm not anticipating approval.

My plan was to avoid scanning as the only waterslides I'd plan on making would be for the inserts, and it seems to me they'd be easy to just make from scratch?

If the answer to my question ends up being "it makes no sense to do a half assed playfield restoration in the way you are describing," I'm perfectly content with that answer!

If it isn't going to make sense to do it without replacing 27 inserts, airbrush, etc., I probably won't be up for taking on the project any time soon, which is OK too.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from anthony691:

I was describing trying to sand down the inserts without removing them by masking off the PF surrounding the insert.

Gotcha.

#1: We don't ever want to "sand down" old inserts, they are too thin already. Sharpen a wood chisel, and scrape off the topcoat & ink with the chisel held VERTICALLY, not at an angle like you would use it on wood.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/18#post-1739707

#11 8 years ago

You have to clearcoat over the waterslide decals.

Are you able to do that?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You have to clearcoat over the waterslide decals.
Are you able to do that?

Yep, but I might just stick with water-based varathane this time around instead of trying auto clear.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from anthony691:

Yep, but I might just stick with water-based varathane this time around instead of trying auto clear.

OMG

Do NOT ruin a super rare playfield with craptastic Varathane.

Just leave the game alone, or give it to someone who likes rare pins.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

OMG
Do NOT ruin a super rare playfield with craptastic Varathane.
Just leave the game alone, or give it to someone who likes rare pins.

I probably dont have an appropriate attitude for the undertaking.

I'll see how I like the way it plays after I have it flipping. Perhaps I'll look into commercial restoration (which would be pretty silly when a nice Cybernaut can be had for less than the price of having a playfield restored) or be inspired to do it properly myself.

#15 8 years ago

I have another playfield sitting here that I took in a trade deal for wall art. Touch up has mostly been done but about 20 small round inserts are missing. I would think inserts could be found to fit and then it would need final touch up, insert decals and clear.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I have another playfield sitting here that I took in a trade deal for wall art. Touch up has mostly been done but about 20 small round inserts are missing. I would think inserts could be found to fit and then it would need final touch up, insert decals and clear.

I'll give you a buzz if I decide to go forward with plans of doing something about the PF.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cybernaut-playfield-a-good-first-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.