(Topic ID: 103416)

Cyan LEDs - opinions and installed examples?

By DoubleDanger

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7112.JPG
IMG_6387.JPG
IMG_6598.JPG
IMG_6599.JPG
image-299.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DoubleDanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I'm thinking about doing some of my GI in cyan (on a JM, mostly around the flippers, inlanes, and under Jones' tank), and am having a little difficulty telling where on the spectrum cyan LEDs typically fall. I know LED color can be notoriously difficult to capture accurately in a photograph, but I'm curious whether they tend toward green or more of a light blue (or somewhere inbetween). In particular, I'm looking at the 5050s offered by Comet, if anyone has any specific experience with that model and color.

For those who have used cyan in their machines, can you share some pictures? I've only found a few examples of what I think are cyan, and without description those are difficult to tell if I am actually looking at cyan or just blue. Thanks!

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the input, Josiah. I got the Comets and installed some of them last night - and WOW, they are WAY more green than I thought - to the point that if you asked me what color they were I would have said "green." I'm kinda disappointed, but I guess they are ok for under Jones. I already pulled out the ones under the lane guides and took them back to cool white, but here's a picture of the game with them still in, for anyone who might be interested. This photo actually looks a lot closer to the color I thought I was getting, but trust me, they are much, much greener in person. Maybe I'll upload a color-corrected version later that's made to look closer to what the eye actually sees.

image-299.jpgimage-299.jpg

#5 9 years ago

Hey Art, thank you so much for your response and support - I hope I didn't come across as dissatisfied with the product itself. I knew it was going to be a gamble on the actual hue, and I made my purchase knowing full well that it might not match what my mind was picturing. Even the terms for these colors can be extremely subjective. I agree with your opinion that cyan works better as a highlight than for large patches of GI. I think it does work really well for Jones, so I will be leaving those in. All the rest of the machine is done in Comet LEDs and it looks fantastic!

I really do appreciate your attentiveness to customer feedback here and will definitely be making future purchases from Comet. Thanks again for everything you do for us and the hobby.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DoubleDanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyan-leds-opinions-and-installed-examples?tu=DoubleDanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.