(Topic ID: 68464)

CV...why not much discussion or many for sale?

By VolunteerPin

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pinballcorpse
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0985.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG
DSC01311.JPG
image-71.jpg
image-488.jpg
CV_Green DMD_10.15.2013.JPG
IMG_6279.jpg

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I've played a little CV on the Pinball Arcade which has been fun and watched some game play videos online which looks fun. I've never seen one or played one in real life.

It got me wondering why there is very little discussion about this pin and it doesn't seem like there are very many for sale. I understand it was a fairly low production game and with the newer ROM the gameplay is much better than when the pin was first released.

So, what's the deal with CV and is it worth having in a collection?

#2 5 years ago

They come and go. I had one and miss it. They, like others, seem to come up in waves. Over the summer there were a bunch for sale all at the same time.

#3 5 years ago

I love my CV. It's one of my favorite games in my collection, and it would be one of the last to leave should I have a sell-off. The home-rom is great, and the two (2) different wizard modes are awesome. The stackability of the multiballs is also great. I also like the way the green cabinet stands out in a line-up. It's pretty loud visually, so you can't miss it.

The lower production coupled with the owners who have them really liking them, may be why we don't see too many for sale.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

So, what's the deal with CV and is it worth having in a collection?

I wanted CV for about a year and was prepared to drop a lot of money on a CQ example. A players condition one popped up and I snagged it in a hurry. I got it home and hated it in about 7 days. Quoting the guy I bought it from, "It's one of those games everybody wants until they own it". There are many out there that truly love this game but I'd suggest getting a lot of time on it before you buy. The video modes (home ROM) make me want to jump off a cliff.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I wanted CV for about a year and was prepared to drop a lot of money on a CQ example. A players condition one popped up and I snagged it in a hurry. I got it home and hated it in about 7 days. Quoting the guy I bought it from, "It's one of those games everybody wants until they own it". There are many out there that truly love this game but I'd suggest getting a lot of time on it before you buy. The video modes (home ROM) make me want to jump off a cliff.

People seem to love it or meh.....Stack ability on this game is awesome...risk/reward. Will be last to leave the collection...but it was my first pin and is HUO

#6 5 years ago

On the youtube video I watched the guy entered a "Follow the Leader" video mode and it did take forever and it wasn't clear by the video if the guy was actually interacting or not. I actually fast-forwarded to the end of it to get back to the game play. It probably took a solid couple of minutes.

#7 5 years ago

On the youtube video I watched the guy entered a "Follow the Leader" video mode and it did take forever and it wasn't clear by the video if the guy was actually interacting or not. I actually fast-forwarded to the end of it to get back to the game play. It probably took a solid couple of minutes.

That isn't on the home rom...thank goodness. Kills the gameplay, IMO

I like the amazing Roonie...and people that come over to play think it's tits

#8 5 years ago

"It's one of those games everybody wants until they own it"

Yep! Traded my MM for a CV and some cash, because I liked playing CV on location and thought it would be great to own. Visually it was stunning, but 6 months later it was sold. Much like the MM I owned, I just couldn't justify keeping it (fun factor) when I thought about how much money I had tied up in it.

Quoted from Captive_Ball:

I like the amazing Roonie

Me too!

#9 5 years ago

I like my CV a lot - lot of appeal and nice features - cant see it leave.
Quite fun games and great stackablilty.
Videomodes are quite bad - specially copycat, but still worth going for the extra ball.

My 6 year daughter loves the game!

IMG_6279.jpg
#10 5 years ago

My opinion and everyone is different. Its Popadiuk's best game ( he also did TOM and TOTAN ), was low production run ( 2700) and did not do well when released., if fact they wer heavily discounted. The Home run is a must. You either love the garish cabinet or hate it. You either like the ringmaster or hate him. You either like circus themes or dont. DMD on playfield is unique and adds to game play. Absolutely fantastic wizard mode and never gets old to me. Took me a year to find and get one so it goes nowhere , Out of my machines it would be the third from last to go ( after TZ and AC/DC).

#11 5 years ago

Never leaving my gameroom! Had one for 15 years. They actually sold for $1995 on closeout due to the ball hang ups that are easily adjusted.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Bluefishy:

My opinion and everyone is different. Its Popadiuk's best game ( he also did TOM and TOTAN ), was low production run ( 2700) and did not do well when released., if fact they wer heavily discounted. The Home run is a must. You either love the garish cabinet or hate it. You either like the ringmaster or hate him. You either like circus themes or dont. DMD on playfield is unique and adds to game play. Absolutely fantastic wizard mode and never gets old to me. Took me a year to find and get one so it goes nowhere , Out of my machines it would be the third from last to go ( after TZ and AC/DC).

I didn't find the game that polarizing. I liked it, but I didn't keep it because of the cost. I just felt I could do better for the price. Looks good next to your TZ.

#13 5 years ago

Wow...we must be related. I couldn't have quoted it any more accurately on how I felt. If I had a luxury house and I needed a decoration I would have definitely kept CV. I would have put green carpet in the room with purple wall paper.

#14 5 years ago

Need to work on the Backbox GI and a couple of minor light tweaks....but she is a beauty
CV_Green DMD_10.15.2013.JPG

#16 5 years ago

I have a really nice early production (sample) CV for sale in Cincinnati, just need to get some pics. Has the tickle ringmaster text, etc. Game is from my collection, have had it for almost 10 years. Has scrolls and other spare parts. Will get pics posted later tonight.

#17 5 years ago

Quoted from Captive_Ball:

That isn't on the home rom...thank goodness. Kills the gameplay, IMO
I like the amazing Roonie...and people that come over to play think it's tits

Actually, this mode *is* on the home ROM, and not on the production ROM. I think you can disable it, and you can definitely cut it short by randomly hitting the flippers.

CV is a fairly straightforward and very fun game IMO, with great ball movement--the orbits, fast loop around the Ringmaster, menagerie ball, side pops and disappearing pop. The dots are great in this game, and progress is fairly straightforward: complete all 9 marvels to reach the Join the Cirqus mode. Not that easy to get if the game is set up well. Stacking is fun, witha possible stacking of 3 MBs together if you're careful. (I read that you could stack 4 but I don't think so--can't start Juggler once High Wire etc. are started, unless its a weird glitch!)

There's a 'hidden' Ringmaster Battle mode that can give you tons of points (or moderate points if menu settings are adjusted), and the JtC has 3 stages to complete before getting to the party multiball. There is some variation in which 3 modes you get in the home ROMs, which is cool.

The game is colorful and plays smooth as butter when dialed in. FOr some reason, the flippers on my CV feel better and give more control than in any other pin I've ever played. (Even more odd, this is still true after I switched the stock flippers to purple ones.) All original parts, as I bought my CV NIB back when....

Not a lot come up for sale because of the low production. Some people love the game, some don't. It's a keeper for me with the smooth ball movement, excellent flippers, and it's a fun game that's not too deep nor too simple.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I have a really nice early production (sample) CV for sale in Cincinnati, just need to get some pics. Has the tickle ringmaster text, etc. Game is from my collection, have had it for almost 10 years. Has scrolls and other spare parts. Will get pics posted later tonight.

Yep and should have sold it to me at Expo - GLWS

#19 5 years ago

I love mine I'm like the others this pinball will have to leave my house at last . Here's a picture is mine ...

image-488.jpg image-71.jpg
#20 5 years ago

Pinball masterpiece IMO:

Great design, original artwork, music/sounds, and gameplay.

The add in the full backglass, best location for a DMD, great toys (Ringmaster, disappearing pop bumper), and cool neon tube.

Just a fun pin to play.

Installed the full Pinball Pro speaker kit on mine (Markmon helped design this IIRC); makes a nice improvement over the stock configuration (stock didn't sound good on mine for some reason despite being DCS).

#21 5 years ago

Absolutely love CV, and have the fortune of close friends with one.

Since we're on the topic, what is everyone's high count on rounds of Copy Cat? I know that the usual Extra Ball is awarded after 10~12 rounds. I had an epic game on one last month and got to round 32.

Yes, 32. I have witnesses....

Later,
EV

#22 5 years ago

I heard of your 32 round Copy Cat EV (I was in the next room). How the heck is that even possible????

#23 5 years ago

Love it. One of my favs.

#24 5 years ago

I had a chance to buy one a few years ago, but passed on it. What
would you guys say is the median price currently ?

#25 5 years ago

My 2 cents...had a real nice one but after a while I found myself 'beating the game' often and ended up selling it. It was fun and exciting for a while (as any new game can be) but then grew tiresome waiting around for some of the talking 'events' to finish...Ringmaster/High wire multi. Etc.

I didn't have many SS pins so it might just be better in a "collection" as it would be fun to go back to every once and a while. I have been playing it also on IPad and that gives me my 'fill'. Try to get some time in on a 'live' one and see how you like it...you may end up being satisfied by just playing as you are.

#27 5 years ago

Great game, so happy and bright

#28 5 years ago

Miss mine but you can't keep them all.

#29 5 years ago

They do seem to come in waves.....at some point earlier in the year it seemed like there was a nice one or two popping up for sale every week......

It's a beauty no doubt!

#30 5 years ago

I love the shots on CV......the two outer loops, the inner loop around the ringmaster, the ramp (when the magnet lock is not activated). I like the look and feel of the game...very well designed. Its loud and bright.....which looks great in the gameroom. I have a ToM next to it and my kids switch between the two of them. My only complaint is the ball lock on the ramp is a pain to adjust....tweaking the switches and the ramp to get them to sit just right (without a hangup) takes time

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

I love mine I'm like the others this pinball will have to leave my house at last . Here's a picture is mine ...
B

Whoa, another Laser War owner. I wonder how many of them are still around.

#32 5 years ago

Great game with fairly low production but the game would be even better if you could eliminate the Copy Cat, Rooney, and Fire the cannon modes. The wizard mode is a blast though and I would love to own the game someday!

#33 5 years ago

I also beat the game 3 times in a row, when I decided to make some adjustments:

1 - disabled the enhanced skillshot where you can choose your reward
2 - disabled the magnet on the ringmaster head - better flow and less flying balls.
3 - put timer on the ringmaster to 30 seconds - you have to beat him in the time and if you drain or run out, you have to raise him again with wow targets.

#34 5 years ago

Definitely a cool game. I still hope to own one someday soon. Just gotta figure out what to sell/trade to get it.

#35 5 years ago

Had a HUO CV for about a year. Sold to finance another game. You know how you have doubts when you sell a game? None here. Had a couple of chances to add it back to the line-up but passed. Didn't love it or hate it. Just one of those games I don't miss. I do miss my MB, SS and AFM and plan to add them back to the line-up in time.-Joe

DSC01311.JPG
#36 5 years ago

Had some friends awhile back that had one.... I didn't like it at first. But every time we went over... It grew on me.. The Ring Master and neon... Love it. To bad they moved a few years back. I play it alot on our VP Cabinet. We would love to find one locally just to play it again.

#37 5 years ago

I like the location of the DMD on this pin. I never really look at the DMD on other pins, to busy focusing on the ball(s) on the PF while playing, but with CV its easier to see as you really not taking your eyes off the PF. I played a CQ one for a few hours and enjoyed it.

#38 5 years ago

this group is all about buying games that arn't out yet. I think your going to see the day when B/W titles are phased out and not as desirable over games nobody has played. Your seeing it now.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from mr-zed:

I like my CV a lot - lot of appeal and nice features - cant see it leave.
Quite fun games and great stackablilty.
Videomodes are quite bad - specially copycat, but still worth going for the extra ball.
My 6 year daughter loves the game!

IMG_6279.jpg 207 KB

Great pic! Love the fact that she has her baby doll sitting on the machine next to her.

#40 5 years ago

It's the pin responsible for getting me into this hobby over 7 years ago. Took over 4 years to acquire one. Not my favorite pin, but no plans on letting it go anytime soon.

#41 5 years ago

It is a ok game, it was my sons favorite until Tron LE moved in, now it's his second favorite. But I still like it and it will be staying.

#42 5 years ago

Probably because not a whole lot of people are interested in it. I am not at all a fan of the theme/art/color scheme. It is too busy for me. but to each their own.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from NM:

full backglass, best location for a DMD, great toys (Ringmaster, disappearing pop bumper), and cool neon tube.

This + great sound and magnets. It's a keeper for me.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Stacking is fun, witha possible stacking of 3 MBs together if you're careful. (I read that you could stack 4 but I don't think so--can't start Juggler once High Wire etc. are started, unless its a weird glitch!)

On home ROMS up to 5 mbs can be stacked.

Highwire
Strike an Arc
Juggler
Ringmaster (Frenzie, Razz, Special)
NEON

NEON is a random award from side show, so it cannot be forced to stack. The other 4 can be forced to stack.

I have not had a 5 mb stack yet. 4mb stack many times and stacks with NEON, but never all 5 at once.

One day....

#45 5 years ago

What is the difference in the home ROMS and regular ROMS?

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

What is the difference in the home ROMS and regular ROMS?

Check this info. Out: http://www.hassellcastle.com/cirqustech.htm

#47 5 years ago

Love my CV and have had it for over 1 year. I also got too good at it and it seemed like I was getting to "join the circus" in like every 2nd or 3rd game. So I made it tough and now I love it again.
1. Opened up the outlanes
2. Made it extremely steep
3. Cut out all the excessively long ball saves.

Someone mentioned a 32 on copy cat. That is epic. I think my best is around 28, and that is a long, long round! I've never seen or even heard of the "follow the leader" mode. Anyone care to elaborate?

#48 5 years ago

I had always wanted this game, It looked really different. I wound up getting a beautiful example. A really loved it.... At first that is. Everything I liked started to grate my nerves after a while, from the colors, to game play to the video modes. I was able to join the circus often. It was the shortest game in my collection, I only had it 6 months. The standard roms were terrible, the home roms really made the game shine. In the end for me it was not my cup of tea. Out of John P's games the funnest one I liked was World cup 94. Followed by Tail of the Arabian Nights. Wish I kept that one, a beautiful game that was fun to play.

#49 5 years ago

I had one for a few months and let it go. It's a fun game but there are plenty of others I prefer. It's funny, because I haven't seen one for sale for awhile. But when I was going to sell mine earlier in the year, they were popping up regularly. I think I saw six or so in a two month period. These things come in waves sometimes.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

My 2 cents...had a real nice one but after a while I found myself 'beating the game' often and ended up selling it. It was fun and exciting for a while (as any new game can be) but then grew tiresome waiting around for some of the talking 'events' to finish...Ringmaster/High wire multi. Etc.

Regarding the talking "events" / Videos you can set the game to three variations for those in Settings:
1 = Plays all events/Video completely.
2 = Plays all events/Video completely OR they can be instantly turned off via the Flipper Buttons as soon as they start (great for Pin Parties 8-}) noobs can see it all, those that know can flip them off instantly.
3 - Plays NO events/Video between/during Balls (the way I normally set it for super-fast play ;-}).

Bought a lot of Pins & sold a few & after 11+ years CV STILL isn't going anywhere.

Pin - K

http://www.kimballspinballs.com/products.html

IMG_0983.JPG IMG_0985.JPG
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 189.99
$ 47.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside