Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-1.jpeg
images.jpeg
64.jpg
Wolfy_on_CV.jpg
slashinthezone.jpeg

#1 12 years ago

Which would you prefer? I've never had a chance to play either? CV is about $1000 more.

#2 12 years ago

oooooo perfect thread for me....
i just got rid of CV because the whole thing was just too weird. the gameplay was good (don't get me wrong) but beaning the ringmaster grew tiresome. very nice lightshow as well. lots of video stop and go also. the theme killed it for me.
GnR on the other hand oozes coolness and the gameplay is pretty solid as well. lots to do, guitar modes, multiball, G&R combos, rock &roll hurry up, duff captive ball progressive jackpot. love the snakepit as well! both are pretty rare as well. my vote goes for GnR, but (my guess is...) i'm likely in the minority on that one.

#3 12 years ago

I have played both and currently own CV. That being said I think CV is a bit over rated. It is however a beautiful game to look at, and has a great light show as well. GNR is in my humble opinion the best Data East game made. If your a GNR fan that's the way I'd go and put the money toward your next one (there always seems to be another one LOL). Either pin will compliment your current collection great.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from jsandjs:

GNR is in my humble opinion the best Data East game made

http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/various/manufacturers

Your humble opinion is shared by this forum!

#5 12 years ago

Unfortunately, I haven't played either for a really long time but I seem to remember really liking GNR. I was a big fan of the band as a kid so that probably has a lot to do with it. I don't really like the look of CV and wouldn't want to own it.

#6 12 years ago

I would say GNR is the better bang for the buck. CV is fun, but can be overly bright even without leds.

#7 12 years ago
#8 12 years ago

What is a fair price on a GNR that does need a good shop job done on it?

#9 12 years ago

Most of the GNR's I have seen needing shopped have been selling in the 2500 to 3000 range

#10 12 years ago

I chose CV over GNR, but GNR is still on my want list. It helped that 3 of my friends have a GNR, so I get to play it every so often. None of them had a CV, so if I wanted to play it at all, I figured I'd better score one.

I admit that I'm a big Popadiuk fan, and love his playfield designs, with CV being my favorite. I've always thought the table flowed really good, and I usually don't find myself concentrating on the Ring Master any more than I have to in order to progress through his modes. Usually some other objective holds me up, so I concentrate on those first. Enough stray shots hit the Ring Master to advance him. Plus the 2 different objective wizard modes were icing on the cake. I've only made it through both of them in one game once in the year I've had it, and I've probably played it 900 times. I could not stop playing it, no joke. Love it.

The main reason I love it: Multiball stacking. Get the home rom, and turn on the option to stack the multiballs. Get the Ring Master close to one of his multiballs, get the High Wire ready to go, and then get the Juggler ready to go. Hit either the High Wire or the Juggler. Multiball starts. Then hit the RM, his multiball starts. You've got 2 going at once. Upon draining the last multiball and going back to single ball, if you can nail either the High Wire or Juggler, which ever one is set fot multiball, BEFORE a time runs out for mulltiball restart, that new multiball will start, and then the previous multiball and the RM multiball will restart for 3 multiballs going at once. IMO with this feature CV has the most frenetic and exciting multiball around.

I understand how some may not like the circus theme and art, however, I've always viewed it as a "creepy circus" theme. You have high wire performers being electrocuted, and some other things that are just off kilter about this circus in the CV game. That makes it creepy cool. Especially when I forget and leave it in attract mode, and am looking at something else in the game room and it starts to play a creepy version of that old "March of the Elephants" song and it catches e by surprise. The first time it did that, I actually got goosebumps. Believe me, there's something creepy going on in that circus!

What's there to say about GNR? Awesome theme, awesome music tracks, great playfield layout. Data East's best pin in my opinion.

The good thing is, is that if you buy either one, and regret it, either one should be easy to sell.

#11 12 years ago

slashinthezone.jpegslashinthezone.jpeg

Nuff said!

#12 12 years ago

GNR over CV Anyday.. CV is a High $$ pin that i just couldn't get into.. But, if you like Clown's and Bright light's and random , seemingless multi-ball's ,, Go for it...

.. GNR Rock's !!! I played my Pinhead friend's GNR this Past Sunday.. I even installed some CoinTaker Super 555's and Cool White Frosted 44's in it.. Alot of mode's , wide-Body , Double Plunger's and Guns N Roses Music... G.N.R All the way , and @ 1/2 the Cost !!!!

Here's my Video fron Sunday ..

Wolfy_on_CV.jpgWolfy_on_CV.jpg

#13 12 years ago

between just the two? i'd go with GNR.

CV is just too "busy" for me.

#14 12 years ago

Had Both a GnR & CV.....CV still remains while the GnR is gone. I'm a huge fan of the Band too but your comparing a DE game to a Bally/Williams. Nuff said!!!

GnR is definitely the best DE game but lets be honest they have only had about 3 good games. CV is a great looking game & has one of the best wizard modes in all of Pinball. While I miss playing GnR sometimes cause it is a fun game its not in the same class as CV. Only having one shot for a 3rd flipper wasn't that exciting either.

#15 12 years ago

CV has to be the worst theme ever. On the early production models it actually said, "tickle" the ring master. They should have gone with more of an evil carnival type theme. Sad thing is that it is pretty innovative pin that gets lost on me because I can't get into the theme.

GnR was one of my favorite groups in the 90's. Too bad you couldn't make an amalgam of the 2.

For me, GnR for the win.

#16 12 years ago

you can reliably hit the duff captive ball, the upper loop and the axl scoop using the upper flipper. keep dissing DE vs Bally/Williams, it keeps the GnR's cheaper than CV.

#17 12 years ago

I personally like GnR a better. But I can see why CV is loved by many as well.

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from jespo_19:

keep dissing DE vs Bally/Williams, it keeps the GnR's cheaper than CV.

Flippers feel like crap compared to the Bally/Williams mechanisms. Even todays Stern's feel worse then those B/W's from the 90's. That is a undeniable fact.

I'm not saying GnR is a bad Game cause it clearly is not. But there is a reason why a nice CV will bring almost twice what a nice GnR will get you.

Quoted from jimjim66:

CV has to be the worst theme ever.

Really??? Worse then:

Maverick?
World Poker Tour?
Last Action Hero?
Lethal Weapon 3?

The theme is only one part of a game.......What you do with it after makes a world of difference. Not sure how great a theme The Shadow is but yet its one hell of a game!!

You would think a theme like Avatar would be a designers dream.....But if the guy they get to do it Screw's it up it doesnt mean Jack. Imagine if Stern would have let Steve Ritchie finish what he Started with Avatar. May have been right up there with his SM pin.

But CV as worse theme ever???? Not too sure about that one.

#19 12 years ago

I personally like the feel of Sterns flippers better than B/W. They have more throw and are easier for me to cradle the ball. Not a big fan of the DE flippers though. And there is nothing you can say to change my mind. I'm stubborn like that. But I digress. This is a tough one for me. I would go with the first one you see in good shape. You can always sell either one easily enough if you tire of it. CVs seem to be easier to find though so if you have a lead on both then maybe get the GnR.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#20 12 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Imagine if Stern would have let Steve Ritchie finish what he Started with Avatar.

I am with you on that one smassa! His BP-PF was awe-some! Maybe, Avatar 2???
64.jpg64.jpg

Oh- and don't forget 'Rescue 911!'

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I am with you on that one smassa! His BP-PF was awe-some!

Maybe when Stern does one of their famous 2nd & 3rd runs of a game they can get SR to finish what he started since he's back......Then you would really see people dumping their Avatar's & LE's...LOL

#22 12 years ago

Man look at that SR play field sketch...Looks like 3 ramps. A VUK....SOme kinda 3-bank in the middle, Not sure what it is along the left side of the play field. That is definitely a design I would have considered.

#23 12 years ago

Then you would really see people dumping their Avatar's & LE's...LOL

I've got a better idea... Mwaahaahaaaa!!!

images.jpegimages.jpeg

#24 12 years ago

Is that Slash playing a Bally TZ instead of a DE GnR??? hehe

#25 12 years ago

From what I have read, Slash really loves the silver orb!
That- and curly hair...

images-1.jpegimages-1.jpeg

Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!

#26 12 years ago

Gnr I own a mint one in original condition. Its great!

#28 12 years ago

I was not impressed by the theme or play of CV and I've never played a GNR....

Buy Both, That's what I would do.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Really??? Worse then:

Maverick?
World Poker Tour?
Last Action Hero?
Lethal Weapon 3?

The theme is only one part of a game.......What you do with it after makes a world of difference. Not sure how great a theme The Shadow is but yet its one hell of a game!!

But CV as worse theme ever???? Not too sure about that one.

Yeah, worse than those. Couldn't think of a worse one. Just an opinion

Maverick = Riverboat gambler theme
World Poker Tour = Playing Poker
Last Action Hero = Action/comedy movie with Arnold
Lethal Weapon 3 = Cop Buddy Movie
Shadow = Pulp hero movie
Cirqus Voltaire = Joining a magical French acrobatic circus.

I like the colors, DMD on playfield, shots, neon, etc..., just don't like the theme. The movies you mentioned might not have been the best, but I can understand why they picked those themes. CV, not so much.

#31 12 years ago

I'm a huge GNR fan and I bought the game when I was first getting into pinball because I thought the game was a lot of fun and I loved the theme and music. I eventually sold it last year because I didn't really enjoy playing it anymore. To me it's a mediocre game with a fantastic theme and great music. The rules and depth are just not that great compared to a game like CV, it's a game that once you get good at playing it you see almost everything every game that you play it. You start to dread playing the video-mode and the other modes just aren't that fun or creative compared to other games. And no, I'm not a Data East hater. I really enjoy games like Tommy and Tales from the Crypt.

I would pick CV because it is just a much better game overall. It has a much more creative and fun layout, way better rules and depth. I like the GNR theme better, but I would much rather own a CV

#32 12 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. Heading to take a look at CV tomorrow. Picking up a HSII as well, part of the problem is the CV looks to be in gorgeous condition. The GNR needs some work.

#33 12 years ago

Smart move. (:

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

part of the problem is the CV looks to be in gorgeous condition

That's no problem at all.

#35 12 years ago

I wish that gnr was closer. I really want one.

#36 12 years ago

CV is a great Pin, have had mine for a year now and doesn't get old. Plus the wife loves it
too.

Happy wife = more Pins.

Regards,

#37 12 years ago

Id choose CV to own even though i tend to have more fun playing GNR??? Its weird cause they both look fantastic and when they are together in a room i will play GNR more yet would still choose to own CV??

#38 12 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'm a huge GNR fan and I bought the game when I was first getting into pinball because I thought the game was a lot of fun and I loved the theme and music. I eventually sold it last year because I didn't really enjoy playing it anymore. To me it's a mediocre game with a fantastic theme and great music. The rules and depth are just not that great compared to a game like CV, it's a game that once you get good at playing it you see almost everything every game that you play it. You start to dread playing the video-mode and the other modes just aren't that fun or creative compared to other games. And no, I'm not a Data East hater. I really enjoy games like Tommy and Tales from the Crypt.

I would pick CV because it is just a much better game overall. It has a much more creative and fun layout, way better rules and depth. I like the GNR theme better, but I would much rather own a CV

This sums it up pretty well. I got a chance to play quite a bit of GnR when I shopped one out for a friend recently (which was awesome because I wanted one) and after playing it a while I no longer wanted one. Awesome music, theme, and art, but the gameplay/rules are only 'ok'. It'd be good game in a larger collection or for a casual player, but in a collection under 5 games I think you'd get bored with it after a while. GnR is definitely not the best DE game (other than possibly having the best theme), Tommy is a MUCH better DE game overall from a rules/gameplay perspective, it's not even close. Plus Tommy is a much harder game than GnR, Riot mode is achievable pretty easily, getting Pinball Wizard mode borders on insane, lol.

But back to the original subject, CV vs. GnR, I think they've both got one issue in common is that if you're a good player the games are probably going to be too easy for you after a couple months. I think I'd probably pick CV over GnR though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 78.50
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
6,693 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cv-or-gnr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.