• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by cranie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0823 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cranie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Here's a question. CV Neon that works sometimes. I have 12V at the transformer, even tried putting an external 12V on it and it wouldn't light. Left it on for a few hours and it came on and worked fine. Left off for about 18 hours and turned it on and it came right on.

I just got a new transformer but I don't want to drill out the rivets, etc if there's anything I might have overlooked.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

So it's working now in the game? Really isn't much to it other than the transformer and neon. Typically the weak link is the transformer if you are hooking up an external 12V. If it's in the game and connected to the driver board, the other issue can be the ULN2803 at U3 on the driver board. But usually if it's the chip, the neon works or it doesn't as the chip grounds the 12V circuit.
If you do replace the transformer, the rivets can be replaced with machine screws and nuts. IIRC I think you only need to remove the two at the end of the ramp to pull the transformer out.

Yes it started working last night and has worked ever since. I had 12V at the transformer input and had nothing. Put 12V on it and got nothing.

This pin has some strange random but small issues that seem to move. I even wondered if the 2.0H rom in it is flaky. The Ringmaster wasn't flinging the ball so much as it just dribbling off. When the neon came back he started flinging.

Wacky.

2 weeks later
#4 6 years ago

So it worked for 3 weeks and died again last night.

So the simple test for the transformer and Neon is make sure theres 12V to the Transformer input and ground the negative lead (like grounding one side of a coil) ?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Putting 12V to the two input leads will turn the neon on. One lead is +12V the other is the ground. They may be color coded as red/black at the transformer, but WMS spliced on a connector; so follow the wiring inside the ramp.
In the game the +12V is always at the neon. The ground side goes through the ULN2803A at U3 to complete the circuit. The CPU controls the chip at U3 to turn the neon on/off.

When it wasn;t working 3 weeks ago I put 12VDC from a multiadapter on it. Got nothing. 2 Days later after i got a replacement transformer in the mail it started working and continued to operate for 3 weeks. So I didn't change anything. Last Thurs it stopped working again.

SO..I'll check for 12VDC at the transformer in again. If I have 12VDC but grounding the neg side does nothing then it must be the transformer or possibly a connection inside the housing itself.

Sound about right?

1 week later
#9 6 years ago

Replaced the transformer and it's worked ever since. Apparently they can SORT of fail as proved in this case.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

Boards
PinSound

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cranie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cv-neon?tu=cranie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.