• Latest reply 9 years ago by sepins
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00849.JPG
#1 9 years ago

It appears I don't have ground coming through J110-1 when in Neon test mode. Assume this is probably bad U3 chip???

#2 9 years ago

I'm concerned by your question. I think its driven by a tip102 as a flasher but run with 12v. Measure voltage to the bulb then ground to turn on. Or disconnect and feed 12vdc direct to test.

#3 9 years ago

I have neon out of game and disconnected. Says on transformer it needs 12VDC.

Is unregulated AC and regulated DC?

Put test leads from meter to see if its 12 volts on those test points and it is... but when I put it to the leads going in to transformer I get nothing.

Wondering if it's because it is unregulated?

Do I need to try and fire up transformer from regulated test point?

Just doing this to test and make sure it's not a board issue.

Thanks for the help!

Still need to order those darn kits from You guys!

#4 9 years ago

Unregulated just means that if the load changes, the voltage may deviate up/down with the load. Where as regulated has logic that tries to maintain voltage regardless of load.

If it says 12VDC unregulated it is 12v DC not AC and has no regulator. Basically you can use any cheap old wall 12vdc adapter. Only thing you need to watch for is polarity,

#5 9 years ago

Well then it's time to order a transformer and get the drill out to knock all those rivets

#6 9 years ago

Ummm...Maybe I need to slow down.

When I lift pf and use voltmeter on connector that feeds transformer I have 12V on the one side but missing the ground on other side of connector. If I put the voltmeter lead on the ground braid it then reads 12 volts.

I assume connector always has 12 volts and something on driver board or cpu gives it the negative when neon is supposed to light???

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

I assume connector always has 12 volts and something on driver board or cpu gives it the negative when neon is supposed to light???

That is how most controller lamps work, but I can't say if a CV does. If I get time later I'll pull out the prints.

If it does work like a standard flash circuit, I am guessing that your transformer will have 12VDC in always on one input and the negative input is 'grounded' through the driver transistor.

That would make the transformer turn on and output the high voltage required by neon to work.

12VDC ---------------\HV Transformer --- NEON
ground -- TIP102 ----/

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

That is how most controller lamps work, but I can't say if a CV does. If I get time later I'll pull out the prints.
If it does work like a standard flash circuit, I am guessing that your transformer will have 12VDC in always on one input and the negative input is 'grounded' through the driver transistor.
That would make the transformer turn on and output the high voltage required by neon to work.
12VDC ---------------\HV Transformer --- NEON
ground -- TIP102 ----/

Thanks! Just to eliminate U3 as culprit I put in my spare driver board...No bueno! Still no neon!

What puzzles me is I still don't have ground coming off J110-1 when I test with voltmeter in flasher test for neon???

Only thing before it would be U3 and I highly doubt it would be bad on both boards. Unless it is something before U3 stopping it from sending the ground to J110-1.

Now I remember why I hate Wms/Bly games. Sterns are almost bullet-proof!

#9 9 years ago

You may not be able to see that with a DMM, it may just be a pulse. Looking at the prints they do not show much other than a black box on page 3-16 that says 'Neon'...

I'm assuming its a small high voltage transformer like this one I use for my EL-wire mods.

DSC00849.JPGDSC00849.JPG

It takes 12V in and makes the high voltage needed to run the wire?

If so you can test that simply by hooking it up to a 12VDC wall adapter... If you still get no neon, then either the high voltage transformer is dead, or the neon outgassed.

#10 9 years ago

Grab a 2' section of wire and a car charger. cut the wire into two pieces - stripping all ends, plug car charger in, connect wires to neon wires and charger end.. If it lights up U3 is more than likely bad. If not it's either the transformer or NEON..

FWIW - I recently had the same issue and U3 was the issue on mine, however , I bought a transformer and around 10 chips and sockets ( U3 is famous on these machines so I soldered a socket in now its a plug and play ) ...

If you need a socket and chip or transformer - PM me and I'll send you what you need...

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Muscle_cars_only:

Grab a 2' section of wire and a car charger. cut the wire into two pieces - stripping all ends, plug car charger in, connect wires to neon wires and charger end.. If it lights up U3 is more than likely bad. If not it's either the transformer or NEON..
FWIW - I recently had the same issue and U3 was the issue on mine, however , I bought a transformer and around 10 chips and sockets ( U3 is famous on these machines so I soldered a socket in now its a plug and play ) ...
If you need a socket and chip or transformer - PM me and I'll send you what you need...

Thanks for the post!!!

I swapped driver board with a spare I had and same issue. So I guess that rules out U3???

Think my transformer just took a dump.

If You have a spare to sell happy to get it from You and help You out!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cv-neon-testing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.