Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So I have a CV on route, but honestly this has been an issue even when it was in my collection.
I've had this game 14 years but this issue started within this year.

The neon quits working about once a month and I pop in a new ULN2803 and all is fine for a while. This transistor array controls a few other things, notably the RM eddy sensor.

Is there anything anyone can think of that would be killing one array in the chip? The board is socketed now and the chips are cheap, but just trying to not have to replace them any longer. Is there maybe a beefier version?

#2 6 years ago

Get a new transformer for the neon.
Past that, it MAY be the eddy board, but I'd lean towards the transformer, first.

#3 6 years ago

That makes sense. I'll get one and replace it and see if that helps. Thanks.

#4 6 years ago

Keep us updated!

4 months later
#5 6 years ago

WPC95 at U3 on the driver board that controls the neon, still going through ULN2803A chips in the order of one a month. Just replaced another today. This time I replaced the entire neon ramp with a different one so it will have a different transformer and neon tube. The chip is from a different manufacturer this time.

If this one goes bad, the only other thing I see in the circuit are some 470 ohm resistors where the Vcc goes to each transistor array. Could one of those be bad? Other than that I've got nothing.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Other than that I've got nothing.

You have diodes or capacitor leaking AC through your ULN2803A ?

LTG : )

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You have diodes or capacitor leaking AC through your ULN2803A ?

Nothing in the circuit other than 5V through the resistor to the transistor to switch the transistor. Then 12V to the neon transformer and then the transistor grounds it to turn it on.

Odd that the ringmaster eddy sensor is also controlled by another transistor array in that same chip and that never fails, just the pair that controls the neon.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Then 12V to the neon transformer and then the transistor grounds it to turn it on.

That is where I'd be looking for an AC wave/leak. The 12V - if the 470 ohm resistor is hotter than the others, I'd suspect an AC leak.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cv-neon-keeps-quitting-via-uln2803 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.