Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_1181 (resized).JPG
apron-cirqus-voltaire (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jardine.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi guys.

Hoping someone here can help. I recently bought a CV that had the lighted apron from these guys: https://www.pinball-dreams.com/

The problem I am having is that it is emitting a buzzing sound when it is active.

Can anyone help as to why this may be?

It might be worth noting that I'm in Australia on 240v system?

I had someone around who advised that removing the earth will remove the sound, which it did, but then when lowering the playfield the sound came back due to the apron re-earthing to the game?!?!??? That and getting a slight shock when touching the apron is something I'd like to avoid...lol

It's such a cool apron, I'd really like to get this working so any help is really appreciated!

apron-cirqus-voltaire (resized).jpgapron-cirqus-voltaire (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

It’s the el lit tape that has an inverter that is making the noise. This is typical for these inverters to make this noise.

Ok, thanks for the reply!

Can it be stopped? It is very loud and noticeable during game play!

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

mighty be faulty inverter they give off a high pitch whine due to the high frequency switching. But should n't be loud enough its annoying.

Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't say it a high pitched whine...more of a buzzing sound! I initially thought it was my speakers buzzing until I followed the sound!

It's definitely coming from the apron itself.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I've run into this with my #tna and the lighted side rails. I haven't been able to completely silence it, but I messed around with the brightness adjustment on the inverter to attempt to dial in on a sound I can tolerate.
The thing that is really weird is that the sound seems to actually emit from the EL material, not the inverter in my case. I don't feel any heat, or vibration...so I'm not sure what is causing the sound.
I wasn't able to find any solution .

I'm a bit of a noob but when you say EL material this is the actual product that emits the light yeah? From under the apron?!? If so, that's what i happening with me.

Did you contact the guys from Pinball Dreams at all? I wonder if they have a possible idea.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Aussie power differences shouldn't matter as the inverter runs off the 12v power supply from the machine.
Take the apron off the machine flip it over and see if the el panel is completely flush with the apron or has lost its adhesion and lifted in a few places.
I had this happen with an MM apron and found that taping any raised section down so it sits totally flat against the underside of the apron cut down on the buzzing noise.
I'm guessing it had something to do with needing proper grounding the whole way around the el panel/metal apron.
[quoted image]

Thank you mate! Will have a look tonight and see if this has occurred.

#10 5 years ago

Underside looks fine. Only real lifting was where it enters the underside as shown. Pushed down, all good.

However, no I can't get it to light at all!!?? All I did was unplug it from the connection into the transformer/inverter.

Now I get no illumination??

Any thoughts?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Coin door shut? Connector plug around the right way?
I'm away for Easter/Anzac but if you are still stuck I'll check an apron out from one of mine when I get back.

Yeah, would appreciate the help please. Know nothing about these as it came with the pin.

Everything in the right way. Not sure what’s happened?? I have lighted flipper buttons on the same plug and they work?

#13 4 years ago

As I bought the machine which was fitted with this apron, I didn't have installation instructions. Emailed them just so I could check it was wired right now that it has stopped working!

This was at the bottom of their detailed instructions:

"ATTENTION - Info regarding the noise coming from the aprons The used EL foil is electrically driven by a high frequency alternating current voltage of 1KHz and a currency of aprox 150v. Due to the size of the foil used to fit the apron this is also a contributing factor to the noise that is heard as the foil is in contact with the metal of the apron and this resonates the frequency of the electrical current within the EL foil. This is unavoidable and as before explained is a natural effect."

*sigh*

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from homegameroom:

Try to use a noise-deadening material that is used in automobiles and affix it to the bottom of the apron. You can also use roofing ice-and frost guard as well (it's probably cheaper, but you may have to buy more). It's basically the same material. Be sure to get the product with a self-adhesive side!

Yeah, nice idea, thanks! Something like this? https://www.jaycar.com.au/butyl-based-sound-deadening-material/p/AX3687

Gotta get it working again first...lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

8,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jardine.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cv-lighted-apron-buzz?tu=jardine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.