6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tjsynkral
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

182554_10151226878038677_1555263643_n..jpg
    543337_10151226875793677_1982764454_n..jpg

#1 6 years ago

What colors do you have on your CV and where did you buy them? Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Cointaker, lot of purple and greens, and multicolored under a few inserts.

543337_10151226875793677_1982764454_n..jpg 182554_10151226878038677_1555263643_n..jpg

#3 6 years ago

Just cool white 2-LED CTs (dome style)...some frosteds if they're visible by the eye too much. Frosted purples under the slings ...since they're clear, even frosted white was too distracting.

If you want natural colors of the art and plastics, do it my way...if you want colorbomb, do it creye's way.

#4 6 years ago

If you want a more traditional look PinballBulb's warm white frosted LEDs are amazingly accurate, comparable to the original look of incandescents.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Just cool white 2-LED CTs (dome style)...some frosteds if they're visible by the eye too much. Frosted purples under the slings ...since they're clear, even frosted white was too distracting.
    If you want natural colors of the art and plastics, do it my way...if you want colorbomb, do it creye's way.

Couldn't agree more.

A few colored LEDs in the GI to highlight some of the colors in the plastics is fine, but I highly recommend against going overboard. When in doubt, go with cool white.

#6 6 years ago

Don't put LEDs of any kind in CV's GI. I tried putting in WW Retros and it looked nice, until I saw their performance with the GI dimming effects. The insert LEDs dim nicely, but the GI dimming is unacceptable in my book, so I put incandescents back in.

#7 6 years ago

Here's a video I shot to demonstrate the flickering problem...

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from creyes82:

Cointaker, lot of purple and greens, and multicolored under a few inserts.

Creye82 are thoughs frosted domed LEDS? The GI's

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from tjsynkral:

Here's a video I shot to demonstrate the flickering problem... » YouTube video

I'm not lucky enough to own a CV, but is there an option to turn off the dimming for that game? I just installed an LED-patched eprom for my FT and turned off the dimming and it looks great with LEDs. The eprom was 12 bucks shipped.

#10 6 years ago

Those would be retro purples, frosted green, and frosted cool white's under some of the plastics.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from creyes82:

Those would be retro purples, frosted green, and frosted cool white's under some of the plastics.

Thanks....will need to place an order to get some....looks great!

Cool White Frosted in the backglass as well?

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from tjsynkral:

Here's a video I shot to demonstrate the flickering problem... » YouTube video

Turn the dimming off in settings. Problem solved. Easy peasy.

#13 6 years ago

I put UV in my GIs along with the UV neon tube.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from MMP:

I'm not lucky enough to own a CV, but is there an option to turn off the dimming for that game? I just installed an LED-patched eprom for my FT and turned off the dimming and it looks great with LEDs. The eprom was 12 bucks shipped.

The dimming means about 100x to me what the LED GI would mean. I think LED technology should improve to dim properly, we shouldn't roll back the technology on the machine.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from tjsynkral:

The dimming means about 100x to me what the LED GI would mean. I think LED technology should improve to dim properly, we shouldn't roll back the technology on the machine.

I went back and forth on this and at the end of the day, the vibrancy that the LEDs bring out was worth the trade-off. It's your game though, do what works for you and your tastes. Once I got AC/DC Prem, my other games just looked weird...and once I started LED'ing and enjoying the results, I couldn't stop! The only one that I've left alone and feel OK about it is LOTR. The "golden" look of incandescent bulbs just suits that game perfectly....but who knows, I might end up LED'ing it with warm whites ...we'll see.

#16 6 years ago

Agreed Rarehero, I hear people not wanting to change to LEDs on LOTR more than any other modern game

#17 6 years ago

The color temperature of incandescents is very well matched by the WW Retro LEDs. Except being much brighter I can't tell the difference.

Unfortunately the dimming is a deal breaker, I miss it too much to turn it off, and I can't put up with the flickering. And today I just reset my CFTBL while moving the batteries to a remote holder, and discovered that it has some amazing dimming effects that had been disabled. (I bought it with LEDs already installed.) So now, I have the dilemma of liking my bright, cool white LEDs, but seriously considering pulling them out of the GI and backbox and putting in incandescents that dim properly.

Why can't somebody make a dimmable pinball LED?!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 85.00
    $ 19.95
    Apparel - Women
    Pinball Wheezer
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 6.95
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 51.45
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rods Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 159.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside