(Topic ID: 286169)

CV Boom balloon triggers slam tilt

By LordSnurt

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Experiencing an issue on and otherwise well performing Cirqus Voltaire.

During a great game I’ll be interrupted with a slam tilt seemingly out of nowhere. I was able to track down the issue to the boom balloon, and in the switch test I do see that switch 54 (middle jet) will trigger switch 21 (slam tilt).

Oddly, this issue is intermittent- I’ll play 10 perfect games (boom balloon functioning normally) and then hit the error game 11.

I’ll occasionally get a check switch 23 error, but this switch triggers during switch testing and the error goes away.

Would greatly appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction to get to the bottom of this!

Thank you thank you!

#2 3 years ago

Draw a square through those switches. At the other corners are 24 and 51. Check the diodes on those switches. I’d say left slingshot is the most likely candidate.

#3 3 years ago

Thank you. I’ll take a close look at it.

Should I keep an eye open for anything in particular? Wiring?

#4 3 years ago

I had this issue with a CV I owned previously. It turned out it was the coin door board that was causing the slam tilt through the Menagerie. Really strange issue that took me a long time to figure out. It must have been a diode failing intermittently under load on that coin door board. Replaced the board never happened again. I only wish I could have narrowed it down to an exact component.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Draw a square through those switches. At the other corners are 24 and 51. Check the diodes on those switches. I’d say left slingshot is the most likely candidate.

You were indeed correct! The switch at the left slingshot was stuck closed. I bent it back and I no longer get the slam tilt at Boom Balloon.

Lingering question prevails- if both switches are triggered at the same time, (left sling and boom), it still triggers slam tilt in switch test. I imagine this is rare, but during a 4 ball multiball it may happen. Is there a deeper problem that would be the source of this? Or is this normal behavior?

#6 3 years ago

Switch wired incorrectly or a diode backwards. This happened to me and my boom was wired incorrectly. It had the exact same symptoms as yours. I don’t have access to the game now or I’d snap a picture. But something is wired wrong.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks pintechev - if you're able to snap a pic later I'd appreciate it. No rush at all, fixing the slingshot has been an effective quick fix. Definitely want to nip this in the bud and ensure long term hassle free play.

#8 3 years ago

The Pinwiki explains correct diode orientation: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Diode_and_Switch_Matrix_Wiring_Orientation_on_a_Microswitch

Glad you got it going for now, nicely done!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cv-boom-balloon-triggers-slam-tilt?hl=lordsnurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.