(Topic ID: 157619)

CV armor color recomendations (Blue / Purple or Green Metalic)

By Kerry_Richard

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN5588 (resized).JPG
DSCN5598 (resized).JPG
DSCN5602 (resized).JPG
DSCN5591 (resized).JPG
DSCN5590 (resized).JPG
DSCN5587 (resized).JPG
2015-08-16_09.43.02_(resized).jpg
20160409_142721_(resized).jpg
20160409_142718_(resized).jpg
godcoin_(resized).jpg
20140408_225239_(resized).jpg
778a275cff191ec85229feac72a1d0d749892a45_(resized).jpg
mystic_(resized).jpg
CV_green_(resized).JPG
3aae7729f6d168e885d55174a4ce6e90_(resized).jpg
Claire's_Splatter_Paint_with_gradient_sponge_(6)_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Hello Pinsiders...

I'm going to do most the metal on my Cirqus Voltiare in color (glass lock down bar, side rails, hinges & legs; not coin door). Maybe with a little sparkle (light metal flake). The add on scroll backbox arches are a pale purple / lavender. That color is too pale for my taste.

Do you have any recommendations on color? Cirqus Voltaire has many awesome colors to work with.

Thanks for your picts. and/or opinions.

Kerry

#2 8 years ago

If you could match the purple towers on the side of the cab...I think that would look good. I have't seen anyone do that color before.img_4104_(resized).jpgimg_4104_(resized).jpg

#3 8 years ago

I agree with Captive_Ball. I think a matching purple would make all the purple on the cab really pop! And hurray for not doing the coindoor! I hate powdercoated coindoors.

#4 8 years ago

I used illusion violet...sick color!

#5 8 years ago

Yeah... I'm leaning towards that maroon/purple color, too

There's lots of green on the cabinet, the blue splashes are nice, but I think that purple/maroon with a light metal flake/sparkle, would make that game POP!

#6 8 years ago

Green is the way to go IMO. Purple ... Maybe not so.

Google can show us the way ...

rd

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#7 8 years ago

Purple for sure

#8 8 years ago

How about this color green?

IMGA0340[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0340[1]_(resized).JPG

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

How about this color green?

IMGA0340[1]_(resized).JPG

Yep, that's the way to go I reckon.

rd

#10 8 years ago

That's what my BF wireforms were done in.

#11 8 years ago

Purple would be my choice.

That said, how about going with a splatter coat using some or all of the game colors. I've never seen it on a pin before but the possibilities are endless.

100_3942_(resized).jpg100_3942_(resized).jpg

hqdefault_(1)_(resized).jpghqdefault_(1)_(resized).jpg

Claire's_Splatter_Paint_with_gradient_sponge_(6)_(resized).JPGClaire's_Splatter_Paint_with_gradient_sponge_(6)_(resized).JPG

3aae7729f6d168e885d55174a4ce6e90_(resized).jpg3aae7729f6d168e885d55174a4ce6e90_(resized).jpg

#12 8 years ago

At first I thought the refinery Metallica purple would look good but it may be to close to the red cast and not enough of the blue cast
http://pinballrefinery.com/store#!/Custom-Powder-coated-Armor-for-Metallica-Pro/p/27141072/category=5707242

#13 8 years ago

RD...

WOW!!! those picts of CV (Purple/Lavender & Green) speaks volumes! I personally don't care for that purple/lavender, however, the green really looks good on that cabinet. MustangPaul the glitter/metal flake is a cool touch too.

I'm real talented with painting. I may experiment with the green & maroon (not purple) color, that is closer to the lettering / towers in "Cirqus Voltaire" on the cabinet. I think that is a very cool color.

I'm going to purchase new side art and take it to the auto paint store. I'll come up with a couple options and share them with Pinside.

If anyone has any additional pictures to show, or thoughts / opinions... That would be awesome.

Thanks
Kerry

#14 8 years ago

Pinwillie... I agree. That purple is spot on for MET. It's off for CV, in my opinion.

#16 8 years ago

I powder coated mine green, Illusion Gambler I think is the color name.

CV_green_(resized).JPGCV_green_(resized).JPG

#17 8 years ago

twenty84... that green looks awesome!

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

twenty84... that green looks awesome!

Thanks. I think it looks even better in person.

#19 8 years ago

I can't find the pictures any more, but the best one I've ever seen was someone who matched the blue in the lightning on the cabinet. He also painted the scrolls that color as well. It looked amazing.

To me, the problem with the green is it blends in too much since the entire cabinet is green. The problem with purple is you either need to mach the purple on the cabinet, or the purple on the apron, but the two colors don't really go with each other.

The blue solved this problem as it matched the cabinet and that same color is used on the playfield.

#20 8 years ago

Green is safest and looks good.

#21 8 years ago

How about the Mystic paint Ford used on the Mustangs in the mid to late 90's. It changes color like a chameleon. That would look great on this game. It's like 500 bucks a quart though I think

mystic_(resized).jpgmystic_(resized).jpg

#22 8 years ago

I matched the trim to the blues on the playfield and the electricity on the cabinet. Really came out looking nice. It was a 2-part automotive urethane with a glitter/sparkle in it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cirqus-voltaire-just-finished-top-playfield-teardown-and-custom-paint

778a275cff191ec85229feac72a1d0d749892a45_(resized).jpg778a275cff191ec85229feac72a1d0d749892a45_(resized).jpg

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from ghetoprobe:

I matched the trim to the blues on the playfield and the electricity on the cabinet. Really came out looking nice. It was a 2-part automotive urethane with a glitter/sparkle in it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cirqus-voltaire-just-finished-top-playfield-teardown-and-custom-paint

778a275cff191ec85229feac72a1d0d749892a45_(resized).jpg

Why'd you do ONLY the DBA covers and the coin return flaps on the coin door?

#24 8 years ago

DBA plates are black again. Just the coin return flaps are the blue for a little contrast. Not a big fan of fully-painted coin doors, but that's just me. To each their own!

I vote for blue, Kerry_Richard!

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from ghetoprobe:

Not a big fan of fully-painted coin doors, but that's just me. To each their own!

Me neither, black coin doors all the way.

rd

#26 8 years ago

Some very cool stuff... I'll do mine in the next 30 days and post pictures.

Kerry

#27 8 years ago

I do not like the look of coin doors that are all powdercoated. I tried doing it and hated the result. However, I have done a few machines now that i powdercoated the frame only of the door, to match the rails and legs, and it really turned out nice.

20140408_225239_(resized).jpg20140408_225239_(resized).jpg

godcoin_(resized).jpggodcoin_(resized).jpg

#28 8 years ago

I powder coated mine purple.

20160409_142718_(resized).jpg20160409_142718_(resized).jpg

20160409_142721_(resized).jpg20160409_142721_(resized).jpg

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptMonkeyPants:

Bingo. That's the one for me. Well done.

#30 8 years ago

CaptMonkeyPants... Man the decision keeps getting harder. That purple looks really cool.

#31 8 years ago

20160409_142718_(resized).jpg20160409_142721_(resized).jpg

That purple looks great on CV. Ghetoprobe's blue looks good as well.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

CaptMonkeyPants... Man the decision keeps getting harder. That purple looks really cool.

Thanks! I found a local guy on Craigslist. He did the whole job - media blasting, prep, powder coating and everything for $100. That was coin door, legs, lockdown bar, side rails, and backbox hinges. The original purple color I chose was a special order powder and the minimum order was something ridiculous like 50 lbs for a few hundred dollars. So I let him pick out a similar color to what he had in stock. It turned out amazing - actually looks much better in person than in photos. I ended up giving him $150 just because I felt $100 was too cheap for the time and materials he had into it.

#33 8 years ago

Thanks! I found a local guy on Craigslist. He did the whole job - media blasting, prep, powder coating and everything for $100. That was coin door, legs, lockdown bar, side rails, and backbox hinges. The original purple color I chose was a special order powder and the minimum order was something ridiculous like 50 lbs for a few hundred dollars. So I let him pick out a similar color to what he had in stock. It turned out amazing - actually looks much better in person than in photos. I ended up giving him $150 just because I felt $100 was too cheap for the time and materials he had into it.

You got one hell of a deal.

#34 8 years ago

Or the chrome. I was very happy with mine.

2015-08-16_09.43.02_(resized).jpg2015-08-16_09.43.02_(resized).jpg

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You got one hell of a deal.

Yeah, he did great work and was crazy cheap. If anyone else would like to use him for any powder coating jobs, I can contact him and put you in touch.

#36 8 years ago

JokerPoker, chrome looks real nice too!

Where did you get the "Welcome" coin door sticker? Very nice!

#37 8 years ago

Thanks! I found a local guy on Craigslist. He did the whole job - media blasting, prep, powder coating and everything for $100

According to Pincroma that's about $1,000,000 worth of powdercoat.

I pay about $100 too. Including soft media blasting.

rd

#38 8 years ago

In addition to the powder (not to sidetrack the thread), could I get any opinions on the artwork pinblades versus mirror blades? These are the pinblades (http://cointaker.com/products/cirqus-voltaire-pinblades), which can also be seen in CaptMonkeyPants post above. For most games I lean toward mirror blades with LED playfields to add the extra dimension, but this artwork actually looks kinda cool.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Or the chrome. I was very happy with mine.

2015-08-16_09.43.02_(resized).jpg

Chrome on that game is sexy +++++++ I can just see the green reflection of my leg light ups on the chrome coin door.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

In addition to the powder (not to sidetrack the thread), could I get any opinions on the artwork pinblades versus mirror blades? These are the pinblades (http://cointaker.com/products/cirqus-voltaire-pinblades), which can also be seen in CaptMonkeyPants post above. For most games I lean toward mirror blades with LED playfields to add the extra dimension, but this artwork actually looks kinda cool.

I like mirror blades too but it all really depends on how much room there is on the sides of the pf. But CT does have the thinner ones so.

4 months later
#41 7 years ago

Well it took me longer that I expected to finish my CV. I went with a deep green with a very fine green metal fleck. It's very subtle in a darker room but comes alive in direct light. Here are a few picts;

DSCN5587 (resized).JPGDSCN5587 (resized).JPG

DSCN5590 (resized).JPGDSCN5590 (resized).JPG

DSCN5591 (resized).JPGDSCN5591 (resized).JPG

DSCN5602 (resized).JPGDSCN5602 (resized).JPG

DSCN5598 (resized).JPGDSCN5598 (resized).JPG

DSCN5588 (resized).JPGDSCN5588 (resized).JPG

#42 7 years ago

I didn't attach the scrolls, as I'm not 100% sure I like them. However, they got the full paint & clear, just in case I start feeling the love

#43 7 years ago

.....and now its time to play

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
8,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cv-armor-color-recomendations-blue-purple-or-green-metalic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.