(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 52 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 5 years ago

Okay, here's some advice that sounds odd, but it worked for me. I was in a bar last year complaining about Spectrum's cost (Tampa, FL area) and new requirement to buy a box for each of my TVs which I had to pay for monthly, not just the main TV as was previously the case. A guy told me to stick a large paperclip into the cable connection on my TV to get just about as good reception as you can with one of the HD antennas. I didn't believe him, but researched online and sure enough, there are YouTube videos showing how to do it. I had already bought one of the HD antennas which I attached to my main TV. I have two guest rooms, so I used the paperclip idea on those TVs and it really worked. They bring in good HD signals for the regular local networks (ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS, CW, MeTV, some channels featuring westerns like Grit, GetTV, Comet, MorTV, PBS, and other stuff, which should be good enough for anyone spending a few nights in my guest room. I think this will work best if you live in a city. Pictures below. Also, after I cut cable I bought a Roku stick for my main TV and it's amazing. Using it I get all kinds of free programming. Nothing like ESPN or HBO of course, but still good stuff: Pluto, The Roku Channel, Crackle, Tubi, Filmrise, etc. Hundreds, if not thousands of things to choose from. Plus, I already had Amazon Prime for the free shipping, which incidentally adds hundreds more movies, which I had been paying for all along, but not using. If I want to watch a sporting event that I can't get on local networks, I take the opportunity to eat out at a nearby pub or visit a friend. It's a great new lifestyle and I have more time to play pinball, rather than watching network news, which was eating up my brain anyway.

IMG_1407 (resized).jpgIMG_1407 (resized).jpgIMG_1408 (resized).jpgIMG_1408 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#160 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I just cut the cord and couldn't be happier. Time Warner always gave me the new customer introductory packages and kept my cable bill somewhat reasonable. Ever since Spectrum took over they have been real bastards and wont cut you a deal at all.
My bill was 218 a month, had pretty much everything and i told them i was losing my job but still wanted my cable but it had to be at a fair price. I shaved everything off to get the price down and the best internet/tv combo they would give me was 169.99. I said i need the 89 dollar new customer deal in order to keep it. They said no way in hell and they let me walk.
Anyway went and got a Roku Ultra box that nite and put sling tv on it for 25 bucks and it works like a champ, so im now saving 75 bucks a month. I also got a antenna for my local channels. I actually like my set up now more than the cable tv.
My only question is, how long until Spectrum starts capping the data usage on all of us and why aren't they doing it already? You know the greedy MFr's are going to do it eventually.

My experience dropping Spectrum in Florida back in November, is that they'll wait a few months and start trying to bait you back. Their first try was to offer a streaming service of pretty much what I had previously dropped down to about $45 a month. I didn't bite, so most recently, they've offered a supposedly exclusive Spectrum TV Choice $25 package where I can pick 10 channels from most of the cable channels I had previously (plus all local channels included with the 10). I don't think that includes taxes though. That's a decent package in my mind, as I only had about 6-8 channels that I ever watched anyway. It's close to the price of a Sling package, but gives me a little more choice in the stations. I haven't decided if I'll bite yet or not and I have another two weeks to decide. There's no contract, but they guarantee the price for two years. Quite frankly, I've had more time to play pinball and more enjoyment watching various Roku and Prime older shows and movies these past few months, so, I may pass on it and see if they have anything better to offer over the coming year as more and more people cut the cord.

2 weeks later
#224 5 years ago

Has anyone tried something called VustreamTV? A friend of mine said that it was a service out of Canada which provides a lot of stuff for about $25 a month. It sounds too good to be true, so I'd like to find out if anyone else has experience with it.

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Its an illegal IPTV provider just like the other illegal IPTV providers out there (vaderstreams,etc.). If you are getting 600 channels a month for $25, I can guarantee you it isn't on the up and up.

Thanks! It figures, if it sounds too good to be true, then it must not be true.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=taz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.