(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 58 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pismoarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#419 4 years ago

Day three of cutting the cord and subscribing to YouTube TV and we're absolutely loving it.

#422 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

We still havent bothered much with paying for anything extra at this point in our cord cutting process. Weve been playing with our roku a bunch, so much free content. Weve been using our hulu free trial a lot. I may end up paying for the ad free version after the trial is up. Keep hulu until I get tired of their content then move on.

Still need to get on that roof....lol
I just cant do it with amazon. Its too much. They have taken over enough stuff already. There are other boxes that will stream your ota antenna without selling your soul to bezos.
The only appeal I saw from firestick was ability to “hack” and install kodi. Otherwise Im staying away from the big A as much as I can these days.

We live in a valley and get zero OTA channels from our HD antenna. My wife loves local news and stuff and YouTube TV provides that and a bunch of channels.

1 week later
#432 4 years ago

Oof.

I recently got YouTubeTV (which I love) and was surprised that you can give a free account to 5 other people. So I hooked up my friends and family and settled in to watch some TV.

Didn't read the fine print that says although you get 6 accounts for the price, only 3 can be running at the same time. Now I'm getting bounced off and I'm the guy paying for it.

Entirely my fault for not reading closer. Gonna have to cut a couple of people which should be awkward.

Besides that, YouTubeTV has been terrific.

4 months later
#449 4 years ago

YouTube TV all the way. Unlimited DVR, local channels, zero buffering.

2 years later
#921 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I watch MeTV more than anything else. I never get tired of the Andy Griffith Show. I'll have to take a look for MeTV+. There's a couple stations coming on line shortly, but no programming yet - just a test signal.

MeTV was just added to Frndly TV! Lots of other classic TV channels as well.

https://try.frndlytv.com

#922 2 years ago

Just added this antenna and after scanning, got exactly 100 channels. Quite a few are duplicates so more like 60.

All 4 major networks plus MeTV, MeTV+, Decades, Antenna TV, and other classic TV that I love.

If it wasn't for The Golf Channel, I'd ditch YoutubeTV, although I have no complaints about it. Love the unlimited DVR.

https://www.amazon.com/Five-Star-Antenna-Outdoor-Satellite/dp/B082DN8L6T/ref=sr_1_3

#925 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I looked at Frndly TV, but have to pass at $6 (I'm sort of already covered w/Philo). Pluto has a Classic TV section too.

Pluto is awesome.

Other free services with good classic TV are IMDB TV, Roku Channel, Tubi, Stirr, Xumo and Plex.

Also, it takes some digging, but F2V TV has MeTV, Antenna TV, Decades, etc.

#935 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

So you have MeTV+ in your market? Good to hear. Do you get the HD broadcast?
Other channels you should look for are Defy and Quest which have a lot of content fro the History Channel, A&E and several of Discovery's channels.
Also look for Movies channel. lots of good movies, all in their original aspect,
H&I (Heroes and Icons) They show House M.D., All the Star Trek Shows from TOS through Enterprise (we recently got it showing in HD in my area),
Comet shows The X-Files (including the episodes from 2016-2018), Stargate SG-1, Sliders, Quantum Leap, Farscape, Night Gallery, Ray Bradbury Theater
and movies as well. As I'm typing this they just started airing Planet of the Apes in it's full wide version) and according to their website it's on channel 14.2 in your area: https://comettv.com/shows/#find-channel

Yes...it's in HD.

With the antenna, I also get the Movies Channel, H&I, Comet, and a brand new channel called "Story", which is kind of like The History Channel. It's owned by the folks at MeTV. It just started last week and it's very cool. https://www.storytelevision.com

#937 2 years ago

Yeah, Story recently showed up in my area. Haven't much of it yet though.

Just noticed where you're from....I went to Bellflower High in the 70's.

#939 2 years ago

I went to Norwalk High in the late 70's!
I bet you must have lived in the area near the K-Mart on Rosecrans.

How did you know?

Lived near the corner of Roscrans and Woodruff.

My cousin went to Norwalk High in the 70's.

5 months later
#1023 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:So this would be your first step: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
Plug in your address info and see what's out there and an estimated of signal strength.

Quoted from mbwalker:

What's her zip code? I'll look it up on the antenna app.

Just wanted to chime in and say that the antenna location websites aren't always correct. According to most of them, I should only be getting 2 PBS channels when I actually get around 40 channels including all of the major networks.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pismoarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=pismoarcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.