(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 53 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newbieinKC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 5 years ago

Google Fiber internet gigabit up/down. $70/mo (could throttle down to 100mbps for $50/mo or 5mbps for free, but why?)

Sling to get baseball games on Fox Sports Regional. This is a seasonal purchase, April - September. $25/mo half the year

Netflix (I also have Amazon prime for free shipping but watch it only occasionally). $13/mo

Rabbit ears get me the networks and I bought a $50 DVR in case there is something worth recording from live TV. $0/mo, $70 one-time for DVR and antenna

New Samsung 4K smart TV that integrates Chromecast/Sling/OTA/Netflix/Amazon/YouTube flawlessly with my Vizio 5.1 wireless soundbar. I use only the remote that came with the TV (I add a wireless mouse/keyboard if I am going to do stuff on YouTube). $550 one-time.

Don't watch much else except for some gratuitous Live PD on Friday night with my boy. It makes a fun drinking game when you have to take a shot when someone in Greene County, MO does something that would make a Jeff Foxworthy redneck joke. Expert level is if you can keep up with a drink every time there is a domestic assault call in El Paso TX. Unfortunately, you can get pretty drunk on domestic assaults in West Texas.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

As is Google Fiber. $226/mth for 1G symmetric Fiber 220channels + HBO + most other premiums. FWPs.

I think the point is to take the gig fiber internet for $70 (or less) and figure out what to do with the other $156 (or more) per month.

I would trade Netflix for HBO, and I would put at least $100 in my pocket and maybe buy Sling/Hulu if there is a need.

For me it is MLB, which can be hacked to allow in-market subscriptions instead of subscribing to Fox Sports Regional, but why not spend the extra $20 per season to go legit and get better video and a person to call when stuff stops working. MLB.com had no interest helping me fix streaming problems when I was connected to an IP address through Amsterdam but calling from a landline in the middle of the U.S. while trying to watch a Royals game.

Other sources of free content usually require playing a similar cat and mouse game. I would rather pay someone a couple hundred bucks per year to give me something that works instead of trying to game the system. For me, cutting the cord is going cheap but not going rogue and stealing content.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Phone is the biggest scam of the entire cable bill.
It looks like it's only $33 a month, but then at the bottom of the bill there are $18 in **taxes** .
All for a phone line that nobody ever calls except for telemarketers that got the number from the Facebook app.
If your landline is sacred for some reason ("I've had the same # for over 30 years....I can't get rid of it, my 80 year old aunt won't be able to call at Easter"), pay a one time $20 to have it transferred to Google Voice - then it's forever free as a 2nd number on your cell.

If you need a land line, buy an Ooma. The only thing that is sometimes a little bit sketchy is FAX (I can pull it off sometimes, but don't count on sending 30 pages). Put that and your modem on a battery powered UPS and then you have an emergency phone line. You can port your number and never pay anything more unless you want "premium" features and long-distance or international calling.

If you pay more than $10/month for a home phone, you are volunteering to get robbed.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but I cut the cord for about a year and re-connected. Here's why. I live with a family of 4. My wife loves to have the news on during the day like a radio (channels not available over-the-air). My son loves his Xbox and Netflix. My daughter loves Netflix and social media. I'm retired and watch a lot of TV including the Tennis Channel. My kids and I are avid tennis players, train almost daily and compete in USTA tournaments. My son also does MMA, so someone please don't advise me to get my kids out more and away from the TV
Anyways, the problem for me was Comcast caps internet usage and we would occasionally surpass the limit causing additional charges. This along with having occasional stuttering on PlayStation Vue while watching the Tennis Channel was annoying ( I have very fast internet service too). Having to click the remote a few more time to watch a program was somewhat annoying too (I know first world problems). I used over the air with Tivo, but let's be honest, you're viewing is very limited with local channels.
So, I'm back with Directv calling them every year, cancelling their service to be escalated to their retention dept for a better price. Yes, it's annoying, but I only have to do it once a year. It's nice to turn on the TV and instantly watch what I want to watch. My internet usage cut in half and no more penalty charges.

Must suck to be in a place where home internet data is capped.

My cell phone data plan doesn't even do that... (they reserve the right to throttle me, but have never actually done so to my knowledge).

#98 5 years ago

That's some premium Southern Missouri beer there. My buddies in college at Rolla felt like we were straight up pimping when we could afford to upgrade to Bush Light. Most nights it was Natty.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Only the best round here!

... and don't get me started on the Stag beer parties. Oooof.

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I think I'm looking at ~$83 if I stick with 100/10 internet for the same package. I'm just wondering if the shows we watch are available on demand? Inability to record live TV could be a problem. I think I can log into the app with my current package.
Philo looks interesting too. They do allow recording. Too bad they don't have Cartoon Network.

This DVR gets the job done for live OTA channels.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I2ZBD1U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00
Lets you pause live TV and record. It requires a USB storage device, like a thumb drive or external hard drive but those are cheap and ubiquitous. You can set it up like a VCR to record channel x from 6:00 to 7:00 every Wednesday, but it isn't a TiVo that you can tell it to record your favorite show or timeshift the news after an NFL game. To my knowledge, there are several places you can pay for that service but I don't know of one that is free.

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Our cable, internet and home security system are all thru Xfinity, over $200/month, but the wife won't put up with anything but the ease of 1 remote.

You can get a new Samsung TV that integrates all that stuff in one remote. I imagine other TV manufacturers are getting better as well, but I can attest that my new Samsung 7 -series 4K TV is far and away better than the 4 year old LG that it replaced. TV/Hulu/Netflix/Amazon/YouTube are on the screen when you boot it up. I also have a 5.1 Vizio soundbar that I never have to touch the remote. It goes on/off and volume up/down from the OEM TV remote. Smart TVs have come a long way in the last 3 years with respect to brands standardizing the HDMI ARC functionality and getting all of the apps to actually work without long waits or bugs. My Samsung TV remote also controls my Sony Blu-ray player. I select the input on the TV and it turns on the Blu-ray and the remote controls every function I ever use. Korean/Japanese/American devices are all playing nice at my house. You can use Apple/Fire/Roku if you want, but TVs have good native apps to cover pretty much anything you want including Spotify and Pandora.

There are also nice aftermarket remotes that you program to do whatever if you don't want a new TV.

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Something is lost when I have a bar/arcade and no sports on the TV. Im not watching sports like I used to at all, thats a fact. Having the ability to turn it on for who ever is over, is a big plus in my book.
I have an OTA antenna but its pretty old. Maybe Ill throw it up and see if it still works...

There's nothing new about antennas. It will very well might work better with the new signals versus the old frequencies.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newbieinKC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=newbieinKC and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.