(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 53 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

A good compromise to cutting the cord completely is Spectrum's streaming service if it's available in your area. It's basically a Spectrum TV streaming app that has around 25 channels including locals and ESPN and also gives you all the HBO's or Showtime channels for $20/month. I've been using it for a few years' and between that, Netflix and Amazon Prime feel that it covers almost all of my entertainment needs. the only thing I wish it had was Big10 network and Fox Sports for Brewers games. It seems like a good value, especially since it includedes HBO GO which is usually $15 by itself. And when I ordered they even sent me a free Roku device. It doesn't seem like Spectrum likes to advertise that this is available.. probably because they make a lot less off of it than their regular TV packages.
https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/spectrum-tv-stream/

So what's the price breakdown for the Spectrum streaming service and internet? I'm paying Spectrum ~$150/month for 100/10 internet, mid-tier channel package + HBO, Showtime and Cinemax. I also use Tivo so no hardware fees other than ~$3 for a cable card.

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

They still get you on Internet and taxes/fees but it still saves you some money. Internet is 200mb down. I should probably call and threaten to cancel to get my rate knocked down.

I think I'm looking at ~$83 if I stick with 100/10 internet for the same package. I'm just wondering if the shows we watch are available on demand? Inability to record live TV could be a problem. I think I can log into the app with my current package.

Philo looks interesting too. They do allow recording. Too bad they don't have Cartoon Network.

1 month later
#255 5 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

I know many of you are too straight arrow or just don't want to go to this place. (maybe you speed while driving so prob breaking the rules already
Vader Streams has every game of every sport on in their Matchcenter area and also every channel you would ever want.

I know you can hide behind a VPN, but how do you pay anonymously?

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

I didn't
A couple of the streaming sites do, one had a pay service called "circle pay" . I didn't even have access to that service here.
*edit. - I used paypal and the provider I paid, makes it looks like a server rental provider.

Ehh, if they ever get busted, they'll cough up that customer list without blinking an eye. It does look neat though.

#260 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

For sure.... it just isn't worth it. I have been an IT professional for a long time. Something silly like getting busted for watching illegal TV would probably end my job in short order. The ethics come into play, and with the access to information I have at my job, if my strong ethics were ever questioned, I would be gone in short order.

They'd probably just threaten legal action unless you pay them a set amount to go away. That's what happened when DirecTV started going after people who bought hacking hardware from vendors like this. When a site got busted, most of them turned those customer lists over real quick. Customers either paid up or lawyered up.

Ethics are fluid. I've seen some very "ethical" people get real unethical when the shit actually hits the fan. I'm personally not gonna judge your moral compass on whether you've streamed a few ill-gotten movies.

#268 5 years ago

But Bitcoin isn't really anonymous?

Quoted from vanilla:

Since I know nothing about bitcoin and it seemed intimidating to learn how, I decided to sleuth out how to pay completely anonymously in some other way. Here's how I did it. I'm going to belabor the details with you to convince you.

Thanks! This is good info. Looks like Openbucks is about to stop accepting Subway gift cards though. I suspect that might be a trend.

https://www.openbucks.com/news/subway-notice.html

#302 5 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Too good to be true, I just knew 32 new posts in the "CUTTING THE CORD" thread was gonna be an ethics argument

I'm just trying to figure out why VacFink waited until post #266 to get judgemental? I think "shady" methods of watching content have been mentioned since around post #4. That said, purely streaming doesn't appear to be illegal for the consumer watching the stream. If you are streaming for a large group, like say at a bar, then even streaming can be illegal. This is all based on 5 minutes of Googling so do your own due diligence.

I'd also say that for anyone doing anything "shady" enough, those Subway cards ain't gonna save you. They'll make it a little harder, but you can be found.

2 months later
#321 4 years ago

Put one of these in the attic and be amazed. The one I built many years ago worked really well.

https://www.markdigital.com/2009/01/24/making-an-inexpensive-antenna-for-digital-tv-with-coat-hangers/

1 week later
#322 4 years ago

Anybody using this? $20 per year for news and VPN (lifetime rate). I think I'm about to embrace the dark side again.

https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/signup/index.php?promo=best-usenet-deal-ever

#327 4 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

.like I said they will win by up charging for all the data usage in the future.

Things are about to get very interesting with 5G and satellite broadband. I expect prices to go down once your local cable provider isn't the only "good" option.

3 weeks later
#394 4 years ago

Anybody using www.locast.org for locals? Some cities sure have a lot of local stations that they stream for free.

#403 4 years ago

If anybody with a philo account wants to PM me their referral link, I'm going to sign up later today.

Got one. Thanks, homegameroom!

#407 4 years ago

I can't believe I waited this long to get a Roku. There is so much free content. So far, Philo has worked great. It kills me that my cable only Tivo with lifetime is not worth much right now, but I got a good 5 years out of it so it did pay for itself and then some.

#413 4 years ago

I never get rid of anything. Found an old Hauppauge Dual Tuner card from 10 or so years ago. Going to try to get it working with Plex and build a badass omnidirectional antenna as well. Thank you, Hauppauge for keeping the drivers updated.

Have any of you built one of these?

https://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-TV-antenna/

#425 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I have an original release shield tablet actually. Its my only android device in the house. Ill have to check this out. Thank you.

Plex Server on a Shield Tablet? I don't think that's going to work well.

#427 4 years ago

For anyone interested, the Amazon Recast stuff is on sale again (Prime Day prices) at BestBuy.

#428 4 years ago

I finally cut the cord. New bill is $65.99 for internet and I'm paying $20 for Philo. There are no taxes or fees for internet service so that's nice. Check your bills. They've (Spectrum) been charging me for internet+wifi forever and I've always used my own equipment, so there should not have been a monthly wifi charge.

I'm still undecided on OTA recording. I'm not even sure I really need to bother. My region gets ATSC 3 next year, so thinking I may hold off. Are any of you guys in an ATSC 3 test area?

#433 4 years ago
Quoted from homegameroom:

I like my Amazon Fire Recast DVR. It records OTA broadcasts, has a decent TV Guide, and even shows a guide for Philo. The best part is that you can view OTA broadcasts anywhere on any TV (this may or may not work if you have a Fire TV stick on a different wifi network in a different home, but I bet it will) as long as you have a Fire TV stick in the TV (so you will not have to run an antenna wire to every TV). You can even watch on your smart phone with the Fire TV app.

If I had grabbed some of those $25 4K Firesticks a couple of weeks ago, I'd probably have bought a Recast from BestBuy this week. I don't have a huge need to record OTA though.

4 months later
#455 4 years ago

I bought a 60 mile range amplified antenna and the channels would glitch intermittently. I replaced it with a 30 mile range non-amplified antenna. Even with a very weak signal, the channels don’t glitch. Most of my stations are ~35 miles out.

1 month later
#501 4 years ago

Every DVR solution for OTA seems to have some sort of drawback (price, reliability, stupid limitations, video quality). I ended up snagging a used Tivo Roamio OTA with Lifetime sub for ~$100 off CL. This was perfect for me. I've noticed people seem to be dumping Tivos too. The new Hydra OS sucks IMO, but it is easy enough to revert to the traditional Tivo OS which is great. I wish I could have everything piped through one device. The Tivo "should" be able to do that, but no Philo app. The Roku is fine for Philo, but for sports it sucks. Sunday ticket looks so much better on my Xbox vs Roku.

#503 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, we're doing our broadcast networks with a Roamio OTA and TiVo Minis. Few hundred bucks set up the whole house. Problem is, supposedly TiVo will force all boxes to the new terrible interface sometime this year, no reverting after that point. Not looking forward to it. TiVo had the best interface in the business. No idea why they changed it.

I've been using Tivo for a couple of decades off and on. My last new purchase was a cable only (which I regret) Roamio. I had that sucker 98%+ full most of the time and never got a nag to upgrade to the new OS. I figure if I keep the HD full, they won't be able to upgrade it. As little as we watch OTA, I thought we'd be OK with live broadcasts, but once you get used to pausing and rewinding, it's tough not having it.

#505 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They have a spare OS partition. They WILL upgrade you, and it will suck.

Given how so many have voiced disdain for the new OS, it's a little hard to believe they will totally force it on me. Ultimately this is a band-aid until I have an ATSC 3 solution. I don't see that happening anytime soon, so I should get at least a couple of years out of the Tivo.

1 week later
#524 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Netflix is fine. Fubo is acceptable. Good streaming can be done. SlingTV just isn't doing it.

Philo is surprisingly good to my eyes. My senior citizen in-laws can't tell the diff between SD and HD.

#527 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But extremely limited news options (Cheddar news doesn't count!) killed them for us.

I just use the news apps on my Roku when I'm not using OTA. I like the MSNBC app. The evening news is generally live on it.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I ended up adding Philo for 2 channels....Comedy Central and the History Channel.
Wish youtube had them.

Philo mostly scratches my itch for cable TV. I do miss CN, but you can always find certain shows somewhere on the web.

1 week later
#547 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Getting warmer out...probably venture out on the roof and take the dish down finally. Plan to replace it with this. Any objections, tips or tricks? I plan to use the same coax and mast from the dish.
TV Antenna - RCA Outdoor Yagi Satellite HD Antenna with Over 70 Mile Range - Attic or Roof Mount TV Antenna, Long Range Digital OTA Antenna for Clear Reception, 4K 1080P amazon.com link »

There's a multiple page thread on an antenna forum about this antenna. I think it's supposed to be pretty good and is an old winegard design. I only need UHF. The UHF portion of this antenna is that little section at the front.

Here it is...

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=16264

1 month later
#564 3 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

Hey, when you guys attach an antenna like this, is there a place to locate a ground? I know my satellite dish is grounded. Thanks

I re-used the ground block from my satellite dish.

https://www.amazon.com/Weather-Connector-Frequency-Coaxial-Satellite/dp/B00URX8WXW

#567 3 years ago

An ATSC 3 HDHomerun is on Kickstarter now. I might get one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-atsc-30/posts

2 months later
#576 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm totally serious. CNN international has some good shows. I watch ALL news (PBS, CNN, CNNI, BBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, NHK, etc). It's the only way to get a complete picture. People that watch FOX News and think they're getting actual news are delusional.

Well yeah. You have to supplement Fox with OAN and Nigel Farage tweets to be well informed

#579 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

All the providers are playing a dangerous game of greed because the apps that enable you to get what you want to watch automatically delivered to your own server and pay nothing have improved substantially. I never really considered it before, but am definitely now. If there's another change with the lineups or pricing after we move to Hulu Live, we'll probably just move to getting our content for free. Not a move I want to make, but I'm not going to keep playing these games while the providers fail upward. We'll see...

The problem is sometimes the VPN stops working. Then what? Youtube + internet is roughly the cost of cable + internet a couple of years ago for all the f'n TVs in my house.

I'm doing well with internet + antenna + philo. I find everything else as I need to, but it sucks to have to do all of that.

Eggs
Zebras
Tomatoes
Vegans

Italy
Ohio

#581 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If you put the VPN on a mini computer instead of a router and it's automatically grabbing everything you've "favorited" in the app, you can set it up with scripts to reboot once or twice a day, which automatically restarts the VPN, so if it died, that fixes it. Like I said I'm not to that point *yet*, but I'm definitely staying aware of options.
Youtube's channels suck for what they charge. You need at least two other services to fill in the blanks, and then you're back close to $100 again. Fubo was great for exactly 5 months until they pulled this delete channels and tell your subscribers later bit.

But if your VPN craps out while you are seeding certain shows, don't you get a shit ton of DMCA warnings? Asking for a friend...

#584 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Not if you bind the application to the VPN port only, so if the VPN dies, the app stops cold.

Well shit! That's good to know. Thank you!

#587 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

PIA is US based, which is bad news for privacy.
Pretty sure their CTO is still Mark Karpeles, the dude that did a bunch of slimy stuff and melted down Mt. Gox. That's also a bad sign.

Any opinions on Privado? My dirt cheap VPN switched to them a few months ago. It is faster, but choosing Oslo, Norway gives me a Romanian IP. I'm not sure that actually matters...

2 months later
#601 3 years ago

Fyi tmobile via Tmobile Tuesdays gives free mlb.tv subs every year, at least for the last few years. I wish they did that for sunday ticket.

#606 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Update: Holding off on the Recast (darn it). Doesn't support the upcoming ATSC 3.0 broadcasts, only ATSC 1.0. Need to future proof things a bit since ATSC 3.0 transmissions will make all current OTA hi-def TV's obsolete.

Broadcasters are required to support the old stuff for 5 years after they start transmitting ATSC 3, but I'm more inclined to go with the new stuff as soon as something good is available. Silicon Dust has an ATSC 3 HD Homerun coming soon, but I think it only has a 100 megabit interface which seemed a little lacking to me for ATSC 3.

5 months later
#621 3 years ago

I never got a notice, but Locast now works in Central Florida. I also read somebody created a Chrome extension that successfully tricks their geolocation. Could be a very cheap way to watch blacked out games.

#634 3 years ago

I'm using this Wineguard with an Onn amplifier and am picking up everything within 40 miles great. So much interference went away when I moved the antenna from the attic to outside. I paid ~$10 for mine. I would not pay $40...

https://www.homedepot.com/s/freevision%2520wineguard?NCNI-5

#643 3 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

Any way to record Locast? I want to use my Fire TV as a DVR.

There are a couple ways to do it. An app called Channels is one. I can't recall the other. Unfortunately for me, none work with Roku.

Actually, there's an unofficial app for Roku called Stremium (formerly Fitzy) that will record Locast. Gonna check this out...

1 week later
#648 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Locast.org has added Portland OR to their list of cities they can broadcast now via streaming.
Yea!!
Also looking for a way to record Locast program to DVR.

Every solution I've explored is expensive on storage cost.

#650 3 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Define expensive.
You can get a cheap NAS and some hard drives - but yeah, depending on drive size and number of bays, you can spend from like $300 to... as much as you want.

See my prior post. It’s cloud storage and they aren’t giving it away. I imagine YouTube TV would be cheaper in the long run. I’ll stick with my antenna and $100 TiVo OTA (with lifetime) for now.

#651 3 years ago

T-Mobile is pulling the plug on Tvision. Instead, T-Mobile customers can get $10 off per month on Youtube TV and $10 per month Philo. The Philo deal is pretty good. I believe you have to cancel and restart your accounts for the discount.

https://tmo.report/2021/03/tvision-to-shut-down-april-29th-will-be-replaced-with-discounted-youtube-tv/

#654 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

If you are just trying to record OTA - get an Amazon Recast. The cheaper model is maybe ~$130 when on sale, the 1TB one with more tuners is ~$180 when on sale. You need a Fire TV or Fire Stick to watch. Doesn't support Roku tho.

No ,this was regarding trying to record Locast.

#657 3 years ago
Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

Thanks for the info. Found this about Locast:
Locast.org is a nonprofit service that streams broadcast TV over the internet for free. It launched in 2018 and has expanded to more than 30 major cities, despite an ongoing legal challenge from ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX.
There is no charge to use Locast, but the streaming TV service relies on individual donations to offset its operating costs.
When you’re streaming for free, the user experience is severely impacted by donation requests. Expect programming to be interrupted every 15 minutes or so with an ask for support.
To eliminate these interruptions, you can donate as little as $5 a month plus a processing fee of 50 cents.

It's unwatchable without a donation, but for $5 well worth it. I just wish we could easily and cheaply record.

#659 3 years ago
Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

Do you want just a few select programs or lots of stuff? Loading to USB is great for an hour or two at a time. Only on some TV's and it's a pain.

I know where to find most of the shows, but some of them other folks don't record so much.

1 month later
#663 2 years ago

Philo is upping their price from $20 to $25 per month starting 6/8. Accounts created prior to the increase will stay at the old rate indefinitely. Accounts on the new price plan will retain recordings for 1 yr vs the current 30 days.

#666 2 years ago

Yeah, sports is the killer weakness with Philo, but otherwise I agree, lot's of bang for the buck. With T-Mobile it's only $10/month for that matter.

If you have someone to split the cost of a Youtube TV family membership, I'd say that's the way to go, especially if you use a VPN to get around sports blackouts.

#668 2 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

With YoutubeTV, you get up to 5 additional family log-ins. Roughly $11 per month if you split the bill.

Only 3 simultaneous streams though right?

#670 2 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

Hmm, don’t know. I’ve never gotten kicked off. My understanding is that each unique email user operates independently, but maybe we’ve never had more than 3 of us on at a time

You kinda get the impression YouTube TV is making it too easy to share an account. If there are 5 people sharing 3 streams, I’ve gotta believe there would be some getting kicked off, if it was enforced.

3 months later
#673 2 years ago

Effective immediately, Locast is nag-free even without a donation.

#675 2 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

After the court decision, I hope they don't go away...
(I've been a donor for about a year)

Me too. We should be good through football season since they still haven’t gone to trial.

#676 2 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

After the court decision, I hope they don't go away...
(I've been a donor for about a year)

I guess they had a change of heart. They just suspended operations. Damn!

#687 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I hope locast continues its fight in the courts, all the way to supreme court if necessary.

I suspect they are done for. If any former Locast customers need an antenna, here's an offer for a free one...

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/antennas-direct-is-giving-away-free-antennas-to-previous-locast-users/

#690 2 years ago

Once you've had a taste of what location spoofing can do for sports, an antenna ain't gonna cut it. I'm gonna try Youtube TV. $55/month sucks, but the timing of this shi* is impeccably bad.

#692 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Just buy a Roku (not a Roku TV, just a Roku), they start at $20-$30 at any big box store.

Roku Ultras will be going on sale for ~$50 to $70 in a couple of months. They always do.

Ultra LTs are on clearance now at Wally World...

https://slickdeals.net/f/15229297-roku-ultra-lt-hd-4k-hdr-streaming-media-player-35-walmart-extreme-ymmv-b-m-35?v=1&src=SiteSearch

#694 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Wonder if Roku is getting ready to launch some new models? I wish they'd ditch the IR remotes on the lower end models and just go w/RF remotes -much better.

I think they pretty much do every year. Though maybe not this year with the Covid supply chain issues. I'm really not sure of anything new they could introduce. If you can get an Ultra LT for less than $50, I'd do that before buying a stick type media player.

#705 2 years ago

Watched the FSU game last night with regular old OTA. God it was beautiful! I've never been willing to pay the Sony Premium, but lucked into a slightly used Sony OLED for cheap. I've seen the light. I'll have to pony up when this one dies.

#708 2 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Have you ever noticed that it seems Airtv doesn't pickup all the available channels ? Recently lost power during a hurricane and unhooked Airtv and tried the antenna wire in a battery operated TV.... I received over 30 channels. With Airtv I get 12. Thought it was odd.

Cheap ass tuners. My Tivo and HiSense were glitchy at times. My Sony is rock solid even with a Bouganvilia growing in front of the antenna.

#727 2 years ago

Can someone recommend a vpn that YouTube tv won’t detect?

#729 2 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Can't say for sure but Express VPN let most everything through that another one I had was blocking. I was in Korea at the time.

Thanks! Locast worked simply using location spoofing. YouTube TV is making me work for it…

3 weeks later
#735 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Have you ever tried Philo?I want Sling Blue over Philo for fox sports and nfl channel but want Philo for Insp westerns and channels my wife dig.I guess we’re spoiled with the overpriced directv Anybody here have Philo?

Philo is great if you don't care about sports. Video quality looks good enough to me. I've got it for $10/month via T-Mobile. Though I now also have Youtube TV ($55/month) and find I don't watch Philo much at all. I think the only thing I'm missing is History Channel from Philo.

Do any of you guys load up on discounted Google Play gift cards to make Youtube TV cheaper?

#741 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

mcluvin - With my plan (just under 50 channels, I think) straight thru Philo, the History is part of the package. Maybe T-mobile doesn't have that since you're paying $10/mn.

I've got it with Philo. I just meant the only channel I miss with YouTube TV is History.

#742 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Yeah, I put down my $100 deposit earlier this year with the assumption I’d get it by the end of this year. Still waiting but damn, really want to cancel Directv. Probably will finally do it after this football season.

What about T-Mobile Internet? We rented a cabin in BF North Carolina and used it to reliably stream Netflix all week. I was surprised how well it worked.

#745 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Ahhh...understand now.
Quite a deal for $10. So can you watch Philo on a TV, or phone only (besides maybe casting)?

Yeah, it's a regular Philo account. You don't have to use your phone.

#754 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

because the reliability of my internet and wifi service is somewhat sketchy
as at least once or twice a day we lose our internet or wifi connections for minutes at a time, sometimes longer
to where we have to reset our wifi modem, to correct the problem.

Your cable modem likely has a user accessible admin console. I had a similar problem as you and got nowhere with support until I started monitoring the error logs and pointing out all the errors that preceeded losing my connection. They then sent a tech who found a wiring problem at the main box on the street.

2 months later
#796 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I dunno...maybe have it interface with my Tivo DVR perhaps so I could watch DVR content in another room?!! Nope, doesn't do that. That company is clueless to what the market wants. I'm surprised they are still around.

But then nobody would buy a mini. Tivo made deals with cable companies and f'd it all up. They could have been Roku, but better. Just piss poor leadership.

I still say if you can find a Roamio OTA with lifetime for ~$100, buy it. It's worth it for the hassle free ability to record OTA with a guide. Used minis are dirt cheap as well.

#800 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

But doesn't that kind of also shoot themselves in the foot if they are trying to sell a bunch of the Tivo streamers?

Absolutely!

If any of you folks need antennas, Lowe's is clearing out a bunch of models. I got this for ~$16. There was also a Clearstream for ~$30 and a couple of others on clearance.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Pro-Yagi-Outdoor-HD-UHF-VHF-TV-Antenna/1000309169?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-elc-_-ggl-_-LIA_ELC_204_Surge-Safety-Multimedia-_-1000309169-_-local-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=CjwKCAiA8bqOBhANEiwA-sIlNzYj7dqdr6HBv7Od-Z04kqCblHKmMMjztfecnSeqk_8UifPaREs4xBoC_BkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

#802 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Wow, $16 is not a bad deal!
I've had an antenna in the attic w/a LNA, may have to stick it outside next year - woods out back have grown over the years.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"3ef3f3c3297968153a49586fdd31e395bedbd039-1641009436-1800"};
//]]>

Is this in 'store only'?

Yes, you can use brickseek to check in-store inventory and pricing.

#813 2 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

... and to clarify my experience, brickseek said there were 5 in the store. I saw only 1 (and grabbed it). If I were a half hour later and that one was gone, I would have written a totally different post here - echoing your original post.

The other 4 were probably in a box in the overhead bins. Always check the overhead bins. They write the SKU on the boxes.

1 week later
#823 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I thought someone in this thread said the 1TB Recast didn't go on sale. I'll look around but prob gonna get one in the next week or 2. We're gonna save $150 a month when we finally cut the cord so the sooner, the better. If I can save a hundred bucks though I will!

Check Facebook Marketplace. I've seen them pretty cheap there if you don't mind used.

#829 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Thank you - i checked some recent sales too and saw the expected ones at Black Friday/Xmas, and figured the next holiday wont be for a while so ordered one from Amazon last night. If they pop up for sale in the next 30 days I'll return it and save $100.
Big day yesterday, decided to keep the antenna on the right, pulled in 67 channels just throwing it on top of our entertainment center.
[quoted image]

Did you test the Clearstream as well? I found that GE for ~$11 at another Lowes so gonna go pick one up. Some posts on TV Fool indicate it is a good antenna.

Lowe's also has an RCA pre-amp on clearance. My store was ~$15. There are 2 models mixed together under the same SKU. The older model is the better pre-amp. It has separate UHF and VHF inputs vs the newer one has them combined.

#832 2 years ago

This dude tore apart a Clearstream. What a rip…

#835 2 years ago

I did too, didn't work for me...a lot of effort to get it on the antenna just to make all the channels I already receive unwatchable. O well

Mine works great. Make sure you don’t have a splitter between the power inserter and pre-amp.

#836 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Reading some of the reviews, it seems like the power supply has issues. Before hooking mine up, I measured the power supply. Measured 9V, should have been 12V...so back it goes. Too bad, it gets fairly good reviews when it works.

It’s a channel master clone. Someone on TV Fool did a tear down and they were very similar.

#839 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I actually have a ChannelMaster (Titan 7777) which was sold abut 10 years ago, rather solid unit. Noise figures have gotten better over the years, so I thought I get a RCA to play around with since it was only $10.

That's the model. Here is the thread with pics...

https://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13530

#843 2 years ago

I've been looking for an RCA ANT705 antenna for a good price. It generally retails for $40 to $50 and is currently $49.99 at Ace Hardware. If you do a Google search for ANT705 though, it pops up in the Google Ads for $29.99 @ Ace Hardware. I clicked through the ad and sure enough $29.99. If you join ACE Rewards and download their phone app, you can get another $5 off (after a 24 hour wait). So I got an ANT705 for ~$25 + tax. Credit to ADTech from TV Fool for the following antenna comparison. It's supposed to be really good for UHF.

tvfool (resized).PNGtvfool (resized).PNG

#848 2 years ago

Tried, shows $49.99 in the Google ad on my end.

I read this last night and tried it on my Ipad then. It showed $43.99. On my desktop now it shows $49.99. I don't know??

#854 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Mine reads 9V too. The thing I don't know is if the AC wallwart puts out 12V, but they regulate down to 9V in the power injector.

The tv fool reviewer measured 9v on a working pre-amp as I recall. The link is a few posts up.

“The supplied power brick is hard wired to the power inserter and is rated @ 12 VDC, 200 ma. Mine actually outputs 16.63 VDC. Output from the power inserter measured 9.50 VDC unloaded and 9.47 VDC with the amplifier connected. This is important to know because unlike my Winegard amps that have the voltage regulation in the mast head unit the RCA amp. has the regulation in the power inserter”

#857 2 years ago

Read the first two reviews, they both mention the need for 12v in order for it to work. Can't find the other link where I read the same.
amazon.com link »

I’ll check output voltage on mine tomorrow. My TiVo gives signal strength % and I tested with and without the pre-amp. My signal strength improved with the pre-amp. The TV Fool reviewer was very thorough and sounded like he knew what he was doing.

#858 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I’ll check output voltage on mine tomorrow. My TiVo gives signal strength % and I tested with and without the pre-amp. My signal strength improved with the pre-amp. The TV Fool reviewer was very thorough and sounded like he knew what he was doing.

I'm measuring 9.08v with the pre-amp disconnected. One of my weaker channels was ~57% without the pre-amp. Installing the pre-amp kicked it up to ~67% so I know it is working. I'd have to pop it open to measure voltage coming from the wal-wart so can't measure that.

I'm wondering where the Amazon reviewer got their info?

#859 2 years ago

Read the first two reviews, they both mention the need for 12v in order for it to work. Can't find the other link where I read the same.
amazon.com link »

The first reviewer says it should read 18v. The second reviewer says 12v. I call BS. In my limited understanding, you would need a step-up converter on the power injector to get 18v from a 12v power supply. Also, there is an answer provided by user ANT if I search Q&A for voltage.

"Q: What is the power inserter output voltage supposed to be? i've purchased several and they only put out 9v dc.
A: The voltage from the power injector to the amplifier is DC 9.0 +/-0.5V. The power injector is not a direct power in and out, it includes many electrical components and we use a 9V voltage regulator inside of it, so the output voltage should be 9V not 12V.
By ANT on November 2, 2021"

#862 2 years ago

I believe that's a typo, think he meant 12v not 18v.

Yeah probably. I see he typed 12v elsewhere. But he's still wrong. I asked you earlier and I don't think you responded, but are you certain you don't have a splitter somewhere between the power inserter and pre-amp? Most splitters don't pass-through power. If the pre-amp isn't getting power, it's going to make the signal worse.

#864 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I randomly changed the zip code (i.e. picked different stores). Saw $45 one place, another location is $50

ANT705 showing up for $29.99 again (also 10% Rakuten Cashback available now too). If it doesn't work, try using zip 32725.

ant705 (resized).PNGant705 (resized).PNG

#866 2 years ago

Sorry, no splitter. Straight coax to antenna.

This thread may be helpful and also contains a pic of the power inserter innards. One user explained that with one particular power inserter he was trying to install, it wouldn't work if you screwed the coax connector all the way tight. You had to back it off a half turn.

See post #94

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/rca-tvpramp1r-preamp-a-technical-review.1794290/page-5

#870 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

That looks like a VHF or FM antenna. It might have UHF elements that aren't in the picture. The VHF elements will be large, FM larger, UHF being pretty small. Like this:

Also, he has twin-lead wire going to the antenna. Cool looking antenna though. I bet it is real old.

#876 2 years ago

Tried with your zip code and it changed to $29.99.....until I went to checkout and changed the zip for store pickup, Bam, back to $49.99. D'oh, lol

Looking at the stations you want and aren't getting, they are both vhf-hi. That ANT705 isn't going to help you.

I'm wondering if you may be experiencing FM transmitter interference? See here....

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/providence-ri-ota-indoor-antenna.2130410/

#880 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

This popped up in a quick Amazon search: amazon.com link »
I'll have to find the gain numbers, but at least it covers the bands and has some gain. Plus add a LNA.
[quoted image]

I believe that's essentially an RCA ANT751 with vhf-lo extensions added. You can get the ANT751 much cheaper.

#881 2 years ago

So, I just happened to have an "FM Trap" in my plethora of Radio Shack "going out of business" sale piles. Tried a rescan with it installed, my previous nineteen channels, changed to 23. It now shows I have what I want, but when I select CBS or Fox, "no signal". NBC, ABC, and PBS are all still working perfectly (weather permitting).

I forgot to mention, I also have this amp thing in line, I figure it's not suitable for my application, but it was collecting dust in the basement, part of my old cable setup. Without it, all my ota channels are choppy.

I believe that's a distribution amp and should be fine. Maybe try hooking up the pre-amp again. And just to be clear, the Antronix amp wasn't in-between the RCA pre-amp and power inserter? If it was, that's a problem.

#884 2 years ago

No, I removed it first.

Try re-adding the pre-amp. This time keeping the distribution amp and put the power injector for the pre-amp between it and the pre-amp.

In my home setup, I use both a pre-amp and a distribution amp.

#886 2 years ago

And also keep in mind, if you can get the RCA pre-amp working, it already has a built-in fm trap. There is a slider switch to enable/disable it. Default from factory is enabled.

#891 2 years ago

Out of print book I found online, TV Antennas and Signal Distribution Systems...

https://nvhrbiblio.nl/biblio/boek/Salvati%20-%20TV%20antennas%20and%20signal%20distribution%20systems.pdf

#893 2 years ago

So apparently, all I needed to receive all the channels I want was a Blizzard, who knew. Couldn't receive CBS at all before lol
[quoted image]

I'd think snow on the roof would make it worse, but maybe snow covering the ground between you and the transmitter helps? We never did ask what kind of roof you have. Hopefully not metal. That kills reception.

#898 2 years ago

T-Mobile now offering a free year of Paramount +.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/paramount-plus-deal

1 month later
#903 2 years ago

Old modem spewing a shi* ton of error traffic? You should know real quick with the new modem. Just monitor it over the next few days.

#907 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Just cancelled Directv tonight, felt good!

Were you finally able to get Starlink?

#909 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have directv
Apple TV
YouTube tv
Hulu
Netflix
Prime
Disney+
HBOmax
Did I do it right? Haha

Isn't it f'n crazy? I was able to get the BF Hulu deal again this year for ~$1/month I think. Netflix is partially subsidized through T-Mobile as well as Philo, and I think Paramount Network as well. My HBOMax is free with ATT Fiber. Prime I pay full price and don't use much. I also have a Tivo with Lifetime sub and watch OTA pretty regularly.

No way would I pay full price for all this shi*. I don't use it enough.

2 weeks later
#949 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Arrived today after a 15 month wait time.

This might be worthy of it's own thread! Please keep us updated on how it goes.

#951 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Compared to having something in the 1 to 5 Mbps using cellular, this is a game changer!
[quoted image]

Test it with ethernet. I bet it's better than that.

#953 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Can’t do it without the $25 Ethernet adapter and they aren’t in stock right now.

I hate when companies do that shi*.

#954 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Can’t do it without the $25 Ethernet adapter and they aren’t in stock right now.

Do you have an option to the speed from Starlink to router?

#957 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I've seen some early reviews maybe 6 months ago that was running about 100meg down. Early adopters, so maybe those numbers are no longer valid.
100M is what I have out in the boonies (we have fiber now, 1g is available). Can't say I need anything faster. Went for years that I struggled to get a few meg on a good day (at the time - wireless repeaters mounted mostly on grain silos for the network).

But being able to upload at gigabit speeds is a game changer for cloud backup.

#959 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Moved the dish and it’s a little faster today. [quoted image]

As you said, it's so much better than what you had. I still think it ought to be faster. This is from Q4 of last year. Do you have any obstructions?

slink (resized).PNGslink (resized).PNG

#961 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I hope the fact that both Orange and Ventura Counties in California appear to not have any coverage is wrong or has been updated. That's a lot of potential customers, let alone a lot of area in the midweast, the east coast and the south not having any coverage.

That image is from Ookla. If nobody runs a speed test, that’s what it shows.

#963 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Looks like upload speeds are slower.[quoted image]

Oh no, I was referring to my AT&T fiber. For me gig downloads are mostly a waste, but thanks to the gig upload speed, I can backup lots of data quickly. That’s a game changer for me.

4 weeks later
#971 1 year ago

Had a bad storm today. Heavy winds and downed trees. FIOS says no outages in my area, but we lost internet during the storm. Can’t get a tech out til Wednesday.

2 weeks later
#978 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've been a FiOS customer since 2007 and have long suffered the Verizon FiOS sell/migration to Frontier.

I was on Fios while working on my daughter's place. Their service sucks! Lost the ONT during a storm. It took 2 full days before a tech could come out and replace it. No internet, no antenna, shitty cell signal, and an empty house. I bought a cheap antenna. The TV was in the basement. I got 2 channels, an English Religious Channel and a Spanish Religious Channel.

4 months later
#1066 1 year ago
Quoted from MRG:

TIVO is still the best option for OTA DVR. I have an older TIVO Roamio with 4 tuners. The newer EDGE come with only 2 tuners but still good. They have your basic apps too. You can get all in for around $300 with lifetime service when they are on sale.
https://www.tivo.com/products/edge-antenna

You can find the Roamio with lifetime for ~$100 used. That's what I'm using. I think the newer Tivos got a lot less reliable when they went to laptop hard drives. Even if your Roamio fails, I think Tivo will let you swap it out for another lifetime refurb for ~$75.

#1067 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I have no problem buying a smart TV, my current TV is pretty old.

The problem with Smart TVs is they get dumber every year after purchase. The support and updates fall off after they go out of production. I would not buy a new TV just to get the smart features. If you have an old LED/LCD and have an itch for something new, I would look at the OLEDs. That is a worthwhile upgrade plus it will be a smart TV and should also have an ATSC 3 tuner.

2 weeks later
#1093 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Ok, chiming back in - things are looking up -

I would be real careful with how you pay for that. They mostly go after distributors but if you are paying for a service that you know is illegal, you are giving them a paper trail to prosecute. It has happened.

#1095 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Yeah my credit union kicked back my first attempt to pay so i went another route - but that's good info, thank you -
There's a different one called King TV that's supposed to be mostly HD and 4k content and all the same channels, I might try that one for a month -
https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best-iptv-for-tivimate/

No problem! And when the distributor gets busted, they are happy to offer up that paying customer list for some leniency. Much better to just share a legit service with a buddy or 2.

#1099 1 year ago

Can always just hit the mute button and go get another beer also.

What is the best way to make a payment then?
Just curious, recently I was talking to someone, and they mentioned that they were paying 16 bucks a month and had plenty of channels.

I'm not really sure. I don't use them. I do know there have been some big busts of IPTV providers recently. Back in the glory days of satellite hacking, they'd go after the distributors, then they'd get those customer lists and go after the customers. I'd be vary cautious.

#1106 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Is that really "legit?"
I get the argument though.

Not really, but you are paying for a legit service, not a fraudulent one. That is key. And most anyone with older kids will tell you, legit services don't want you to share, but they don't really enforce it too severely either.

#1113 1 year ago

We actually had some folks who were selling hacked Firesticks at a nearby flea market get busted by local cops. I was kinda surprised by that as you'd think that wouldn't be real high on their list of crimes to devote resources to.

#1121 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Ok, thank you - I hoped it was some kind of bandwidth thing and that I wasnn't gonna have to pony up more $ to Verizon to upgrade my service.

I see it all the time when streaming football. Considering the provider, I'd just about guarantee it's on their end.

#1127 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

And Philo is only $25 I love it on my Firestick Max

If I was paying $25/month, I'd probably cancel it. I use it monthly, but I may go a week or 2 not touching it. I'm only paying like $10/month though. If you don't care about sports, it's a lot of bang for the buck!

#1129 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

How are you paying $10 a month?
I think when they started the service it was either $15 or $16 a month fixed rate?After being robbed monthly by Directv Philo is well worth $25 Like I said I get sports on the Firestick

I got in before they started raising the price plus I've got $10 off per month via T-Mobile.

#1132 1 year ago

I've been doing Hulu for .99/month for the last few years usually renewed about now. If any of you folks notice any good streaming deals, please give us a heads up.

#1134 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Don't need ESPN

I just wish we could add it for an additional fee so I could get Monday Night Football.

#1136 1 year ago

I very much prefer the Classic Tivo OS and will continue rocking my 4 tuner Roamio, but this is a pretty good deal for a modern Tivo OTA DVR with Lifetime Service. Please note it only has 2 tuners...

https://slickdeals.net/f/16243948-tivo-edge-for-antenna-and-the-all-in-subscription-plan-for-249-99-249?v=1

2 months later
#1165 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

so far, so good.....

Until she wants you to set it up at her place...

#1169 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I have this exact antenna, only the indoor one. It was on clearance for $13 at Lowes, reg $60, that was back in the spring -
amazon.com link »
[quoted image]

I've got the same antenna (mounted outside) paired with an RCA amplifier. It's pretty solid. I pick up a lot of channels that are supposed to be iffy for my location.

I've seen testing that shows the RCA ANT705 is a little better with some UHF. That's ~$40 at Walmart and Amazon right now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Outdoor-and-or-Attic-Compact-HD-Antenna-ANT705-with-up-to-70-mile-Range/146879296

#1178 1 year ago
Quoted from boscokid:

These should be my 'strong' signals based on keying my address at fcc.gov.

Do you have some indoor rabbit ears you can try outside just to see if it works for low VHF?

#1184 1 year ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Has anyone run into issues with specific TVs not seeing all the expected channels?

Some tuners are better than others. My Sony TV would be rock solid on channels that my Tivo would struggle with using the same exact cable. Is the coax connection on the Sony nice and clean? No corrosion?

#1187 1 year ago

One weird thing though, none of the channels match words and lips.

Check for a software update on the TV. Try pulling the power cord to really turn it off. Also, if you have sound coming from a separate audio device ( like a soundbar) that can cause it.

FYI for anyone that can't get FOX, the Superbowl will stream for free (even in 4K) via the FOX Sports App.

#1192 1 year ago

Thanks, it seems better now, not perfect, but a lot better.

No problem! If you want to see if it is a widespread problem with your model of TV, and maybe find a real fix, go here https://www.avsforum.com/forums/ . There will be a sub-forum for your specific model. If other folks are experiencing it, you'll see them posting about it.

I had a Hisense LCD with a problem displaying Magenta correctly. It was a hardware issue that Hisense never properly fixed, but I found ways to at least minimize it on that forum.

#1210 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I cut the cord officially today.My son has an xbox for gaming and has had it going from the cable box to his TV.I think it was hooked up with an ethernet connection.He can still play with wifi but without a 2nd box in his room is there any other way to hook in the xbox.He seems to think the cable is faster.

MOCA adapters if the room has coax.

#1219 1 year ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

You need a pair, one on each end of the coax. I use them to get internet from the basement router to the bonus room 2 floors up where the Wi-Fi was spotty for me. Or really just to have more wired connections since i had like 40 devices connected to my wi-fi.
I have some extras I'm happy to give away for shipping.

I'd take him up on the offer. You can find these super cheap if you need to expand. Powerline adapters can work great, or not. Lot's of variables with powerline. Gigabit MOCA is probably way more than he needs. The ones I use are ~$60 each.

#1222 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You'll find that all the best movies are on TeleMundo though.

The best weather ladies anyway…

#1230 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Is there a tv guide anywhere for antenna and or firestick ?

Here's where a Tivo OTA with Lifetime Service is so nice. It takes care of all that with an easy to use interface that everyone in the family can understand. You can find them very cheap used compared to what they cost new. I just looked on Marketplace and there is a guy selling a Tivo Bolt with Lifetime and 5 Minis for $150. That's super cheap for what you get. And if it ever breaks Tivo will replace it with a refurb for ~$80. Don't quote me on that, but they've done this in the past.

1 week later
#1232 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Don't want to sound like I'm discrediting your Tivo experience, but I had a Tivo get wiped out by a lightning strike at the house. Direct hit to the roof, took out a lot of electronics (HDMI ports are apparently VERY susceptible). Tivo wouldn't xfer my Lifetime Service to a new unit so I said 'screw them'. Would have been covered by insurance, but just the arrogant attitude of that company to existing customers is appalling. Good bye and good riddance. Nividia Shield (I already had one) with Plex and a USB TV tuner and I'm back in the DVR business. Plus I can watch it on any the Roku and Fire TV.

Rant off.

Officially, the lifetime service is for the lifetime of the device. There are plenty of examples of folks calling in and getting a much better offer than you experienced. Sometimes it takes a second call with another more flexible rep to make it happen. But if insurance would have covered it and you were making a claim for other devices anyway, why not let insurance cover it? In my 20+ years using Tivos, I've lost 1 hard drive and 1 HDMI port. I use Plex too, and have used TV tuners in PCs. They are not as family friendly to use or troubleshoot in my experience.

So many companies have an official policy, but a far more lenient one when you actually call them up. I've often received replacement devices or parts without even providing proof of purchase. The support reps never asked for it.

#1235 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Tivo seemed to lose their core DVR experience.

Those are all solid points. Lots of dumb moves on their part. That new OS is awful. Thankfully you can revert to the traditional Tivo OS on the older devices, which I did a long time ago.

Quoted from Electrocute:

Noticed Starlink just gave themselves another raise, it’s now $120 a month. In less than a year it’s gone from $99 to $120. It’s becoming a bad option.

I suspect the folks with no ther option will gladly pay it. Still cheaper than Hughes I think?

1 week later
#1260 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Hi My Name is James and I have been Clean for 3 weeks and dont miss it .Between my antenna and a firestick ,amazon and hbo max Im good for now.Nfl season will be dealt with in August.

I gotta figure something out then too. I don't think Youtube TV is gonna give me my Sunday Ticket College Student Streaming deal I'm used to.

3 weeks later
#1281 1 year ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:Big fan of Plex, but I don’t have any friends with current libraries. Any shares out there?
Plex user: Fantastic

Oh shi*! We've got a NARC!!!

fbi (resized).PNGfbi (resized).PNG

#1285 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Will do!
Thanks
As i said in the original post, i can receive the 2 channels i am shooting for but only when it is very cold and calm in the winter.
Its worth a couple of bucks to experiment!

That 5 Volt USB power injector looks like it would be sketchy for this kind of amp if there is any significant distance between them.

#1287 1 year ago
Quoted from kdunbar:

This made a huge difference for me, have a 75 foot run from antenna to TV, I’ve had this for two years with absolutely no problem.
I have 1970s Radio Shack antenna mounted in attic with foil backing under roof, pretty much the worst case scenarios and still get solid signals since added
amazon.com link »

Now that looks like it can handle some weather. $99 and free shipping straight from Channelmaster too BTW.

https://www.channelmaster.com/products/amplify-adjustable-gain-preamplifier-for-professionals-cm-7778hd?_pos=1&_sid=32212ddf9&_ss=r

1 week later
#1292 1 year ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

speeds touted at 100-300mbps with no data caps and no modem EQ fees

But what do you actually get consistently up/down? I've got gig fiber with "free" HBO Max for $80. Most of the time I don't need that gig fiber, but some of the times it's a good thing...

#1294 1 year ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

in doing a online speed test, i been getting 100-200mbps (download) and (10mbps upload), depending on how far away i am from wifi modem router.
Have yet to test on 2nd floor or my basement, but so far all my Rokus and phone and laptops in the house
on main floor have no problem with signal or streaming.
We have 2 person household, no gaming and rarely download movies or other media, except for streaming and web drowsing and email.
No real need to upload stuff, since I no longer work.

That's great for $25. I'd be interested in what it is during a bad storm consistently, for 2 people do normal internet stuff, that's fine.

2 weeks later
#1298 11 months ago

I know some of you guys use services like these, but probably not this one. This is what they do...

https://cordcuttersnews.com/pobre-tv-vanishes/

"That is until recently, when it went offline completely, leaving even the ACE wondering why Pobre.tv finally complied with demands to shut down and provide information on its customer base."

#1300 11 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Cut my parents satellite TV and internet bill from $250 a month to just over $100. They still want the option to watch live TV, local sports, and other cable channels (as do I) so I recommended YouTube TV which I use as well. Purchased a cable modem, router, and a number of Amazon Firesticks and Cubes. There's definitely an upfront cost but after a few months all of the gear will have paid for itself.
What's funny is talking to the internet provider (who is also a big cable provider) at sign up who clearly doesn't want you doing this. "What do you mean you don't want cable"? "We can offer you this promotion for internet and TV". "We have our official cable modem and router for you to use at a fee"...

And all the other fees besides hardware that go along with getting TV through them. What a racket...

#1302 11 months ago

Getting the e-mails from Youtube TV regarding their Sunday Ticket sale. I don't think they are going to do a deal for the college kids this year. They are offering 2 simultaneous streams though which is close, other than the monthly sub to Youtube TV that is required.

#1309 11 months ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

You don't need a monthly sub to sign up for ST. You save $100 if you do buy that's it.

Ypu save $100 on all the plans, for the next few weeks anyway.

sticket (resized).PNGsticket (resized).PNG

2 weeks later
#1311 11 months ago

The Netflix password sharing crackdown is apparently about to start in the US. Has anyone experienced it yet? I'm hoping it's just extra code verifications.

#1315 11 months ago
Quoted from MRG:

4K OTA is here and available is certain markets. ATSC 3.0 It will become the standard at some point.

And I suspect they are going to encrypt it and make us pay. I hope not, at least for the stuff we get free OTA now.

#1316 11 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Cancelled YouTube TV, the struggle is real.

That's the one sure way for me to get all the games I care about come NFL season.

#1322 10 months ago

My fiber box is sitting right next to the power company's box. The power company is doing upgrades and lots of digging. They nicked my fiber. Somehow still working in a degraded state, but if you wiggle it, I lose Internet. Thankfully it isn't the weekend.

#1323 10 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Now that ESPN is going to start streaming live games, cable tv can finally die

If you watch college games, you need all the ESPNs.

#1325 10 months ago

Kudos to AT&T and I don't say that often. Something Verizon made me wait 4 days for, AT&T had a tech out the very next day. He ran a new fiber line around the back of the utility box instead of the front like the previous tech. Should prevent lots of problems in the future.

2 weeks later
#1326 10 months ago

Will be testing this Netflix workaround tonight. Took all of about 5 minutes to setup.

https://cybernews.com/how-to-use-vpn/bypass-netflix-password-sharing-restrictions/

#1328 10 months ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Not sure I agree with this:
"The situation is a real game-changer for most users, as now you’re forced to pay additional bucks for adding a new Netflix member to the account."
And if it IS true, then it is good that Netflix has changed their policy because having over half of people not paying for the service isn't sustainable.

I'm grandfathered in under the old rules. You do you though...

netflux (resized).PNGnetflux (resized).PNG

#1331 10 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

At $19.88... I'm impressed. Might even buy a second one.

The old FireStick in the garage was showing it's age, getting rather slow. Saw Wallymart's onn streamer and decided "What the heck, I'd play around with it." Wow, not shabby at all. Does a really nice job of aggregating free content over multiple sources and making available in one place, sorted by genre. Wireless remote w/IR for TV control.
I'm not a fan of the Fire GUI, and this does resemble it somewhat, but with enough differences that I find it easy to navigate.
[quoted image]

I don't own one, but I've read good things about them. They have a following.

#1338 10 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I went one step further and got a VPN and subscribe to an IPTV service (xTreme HD, i think). Virtually every channel on the planet including movie channels.

How is it for NFL games? Have you had any outages or glitchiness during games?

2 weeks later
#1349 9 months ago

Walmart+ annual sub is half price ($49) for the next week or so. It includes the Paramount + Essential plan for free.

https://www.walmart.com/plus

2 weeks later
#1359 8 months ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I have an email from DirecTV confirming the deal,
so my bill going forward should be about $75/mo

And your new commitment? They'll offer you a great 12 month deal, but your new commitment is 2 years.

#1365 8 months ago

Free Sunday Ticket if you have Verizon...maybe...

https://www.verizon.com/nfl-sunday-ticket-on-youtube-streaming/

#1367 8 months ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Really annoys me when these companies make offers like this for new customers. I'd almost forgotten about the years and years of being annoyed at Comcast for doing this. Now it looks like Verizon is taking its turn.

I like how T-Mobile does it. They've been giving any customer who wants it free MLB and MLS streaming for years. They just don't do it for NFL games yet. I'm hoping they offer some sort of discount this year.

#1368 8 months ago

Have any of you used a service called Stream Locator to watch programs, especially DAZN, available in another country? It's not a VPN.

1 month later
#1370 7 months ago

Looks like they dumped the sub requirement for streaming to other devices. That's good. No remote kinda sucks.

#1372 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

The local BestBuy had some, so I went and grabbed one. Firing it up right now.
You use an app on a supported stream box (and that remote). This doesn't have an HDMI output. DVR only.

Gotcha! What home doesn't already have some kind of device with a remote that will work with this? Probably very few. Let us know how it goes.

#1378 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

It records OTA

Will you have OTA and recordings access without internet, say your ISP is down and you are on generator power?

#1380 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

This was just released, so I'm just googling answers that may or may not be correct. Someone mentioned it needed an active internet connection. I might try this myself.
The Roku app needs a little TLC. Fire Stick and Google TV seems better, but the navigation buttons take a bit of getting use to. Don't have any Apple streamers, so don't know about that.

Just a thought. I always have to plan for worst case. It’s nice to have TV and A C after a hurricane.

#1384 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Found a nice review.

That was a good review. Kinda makes me wonder if ATSC 3 is really gonna be a thing since it doesn't do that.

#1397 7 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Question. Does anyone have a signal amplifier in their attic? It seems like a good idea, but heat is a concern. I can only image temps would exceed 100 degrees in the summer time. Last thing I want is a fire…

I do. Been at least a year and prob closer to 2. So far so good…

#1399 7 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I wonder if the Tablo would survive up there? Don’t think I’ll risk it, but sure would be easier than running a coax down a wall.

Fall/Winter is the time to try it. You could always just drill a hole in the ceiling.

#1405 7 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

It's a bit complicated at my house.

Is putting an antenna outside totally out of the question? You don't need a big antenna for 27 miles. It could attach to your eaves, then run the coax along the eaves to the room. You'll get a stronger signal and less dropouts. I'd be sure to ground it and the coax if you were to go that route. The attic just makes this more complicated for an inferior result.

#1410 7 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

An outside antenna isn’t an option, unfortunately. HOA….

Is there a central/common antenna available to the community? I suspect not. If so, the FCC says their rule is not enforceable.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-reception-devices-rule

#1417 7 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Test one was a success, or so it seems. Next battle is to get a coax cable down a wall so the Tablo can be in an environmentally controlled location. Hopefully the length of the coax cable doesn’t degrade the reception.

You could always put a coax plate in the ceiling. Far easier than running a cable inside a wall. I've got one above the hutch of my desk.

#1434 7 months ago
Quoted from finman2000:

I would suggest adding more insulation in the attic sir.

I see fiberglass. What is that on top of it? Kinda reminds me of what I found when I took my dryer apart to clean it.

#1447 7 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

And I don't ever see anyone hear talking about Tivo's OTA devices.

I've been using a Tivo Roamio OTA with Lifetime service for years. It's been pretty solid for me. I would not use it for the apps and I would not get the newer one that uses laptop hard drives. But the Roamio OTA (with the old Tivo OS) is great. You can find them dirt cheap used ($100). Lifetime service is transferable to the new owner. Minis for other TVs are dirt cheap, and they all support MOCA which is extremely reliable and cheap (used).

#1450 7 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Just ordered a pair of OTG cables, I'm gonna figure out how to record this IPTV stuff finally.

I predict a headache and many missed shows, but I'm sure you will learn a few things.

#1464 6 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I wonder, since it's recording directly onto the Firestick, if I can just re-format the thumb drive for internal storage and that will take care of it? I'm not gonna be popping out the drive and moving it from tv to tv or anything, I don't give a shit what format it is or where it records, I just wanna record my shows.........

I don't own one of these, but looks like you would format to internal storage, then move tivimate to the new storage.

https://troypoint.com/expand-fire-tv-stick-4k-internal-storage/

#1495 6 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

It doesn't have wifi, so it requires an external one or hardwired to the modem. I took it into the office and hooked it up and it would not connect to the internet no matter how many times I tried including manually putting in the ip info. It worked when I bought it. So Sad.

Take a can of compressed air to the ethernet port. It's old and probably dirty if nothing has been plugged in for years. I'd be surprised if you couldn't do a firmware update via USB though.

#1498 6 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Despite the inflation we're experiencing the past couple of years, prices of TV are still inexpensive . Crazy how cheap they are. Saw this at Walmart the other day.

He lives in the slightly used/just fell off a truck capital of the USA. That said, my 2 year old Sony TV has numerous channels that show no data in the guide. All the channel changes and ATSC3 stuff has created a bit of a mess

#1500 6 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah and all the features that are obsolete on mine. That's the one Nimblepin recommends.
I just pulled the super obsolete 32 inch Sony down from the corner of the garage and am putting the 40 incher that I just talked about up. if I drop it it's a done deal.
Wish me luck!

~$500 will get you a nice, slightly used 65" Sony OLED. Those really cheap brands suck. I've got a Sharp (made by Hisense/Vestel). Worst TV I've ever owned (died a little out of warranty and never really worked right).

Here's a great electronics repair forum link with all the shitty TV brands actually made by Vestel. They all suck.

https://badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46703

#1505 6 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Houston, we have a problem. I didn't want to lift that sucker up there anyway.
Yeah, I've always liked Sony since Panasonic gave up the crown. Mainly because of the matte screen with less glare.[quoted image]

I bet if you drilled out the top 2 holes and used big washers on the bottom screws, you'd probably be fine. The lighter the TV, the better though. Newer TVs are much lighter.

Quoted from pinzrfun:

One recognized the USB right away, and the other didn't. Well even though the 2nd Firestick isn't showing a USB or any external storage available at all, everything is recording to it. I taped at least 6 movies the other night which would have blown the Firestick to smithereens and they are all there to watch. Weird.

I've read they are finicky with certain brands of thumb drives.

#1522 6 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

UHD, honestly, I can’t see a lot of difference there either. I assume it’s the colors that you notice?

It stinks that it’s 2023 and OTA sports (mainly NFL is what I’m watching) still are grainy and fast movements still blur. One would think NFL, at least, would broadcast in 1080p…

Edit: is cable any better? Guessing not.

Some TVs do UHD better than others. That fast motion blur is LED/LCD. It's not the broadcast. OLED doesn't have that blur. Cable is compressed all to hell. OTA is best.

#1532 6 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Local Goodwill won’t even except used flat tv’s

I sold mine on Marketplace for $100. It was old and most of the apps didn't work, but that's nothing a roku or firestick won't fix. I originally paid a grand for it.

#1534 6 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

I tried to give my 32 inch to a buddy that buys and sells things on CL and even he didn't want it.

I had a smaller TV listed once that got no interest until the Super Bowl. The buyer's TV broke during the game.

#1535 6 months ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

How do I do this? Internet service is Starlink and is connected to this router.
I tried awhile back and gave up. Trying to get Tablo to work away from home.

Any idea how you have it setup? Is your Starlink router in bridge mode? If it isn't, that's a double-NAT and the Tablo won't work remotely.

1 week later
#1540 6 months ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Thanks, I’ll look into that.

Did you get it working?

#1543 6 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

I guess the question then is what would be a quality box to replace the tuner on the Sony that would also be able to record antenna TV and have an over the air guide?
Thank you.

They are all gonna suck if you must have OTA guide data. Watch the Nerd...

Tivo used to offer dial-up guide data, but that's no longer a thing. If you can do internet some of the time and value picture quality, get a used Tivo Roamio OTA with Lifetime Service included. You can usually find them for ~$100.

1 week later
#1561 5 months ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

[quoted image]

More expensive when I think about what I was paying for internet plus cable.

I really need to pause some of my services.

3 weeks later
#1572 5 months ago

I read somewhere they plan on charging for guide data. I think ATSC3 is DOA.

#1574 5 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

That kinda defeats the purpose of OTA. Are you saying Tablo would charge for an ATSC3 guide?

No.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=mcluvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.