(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 51 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider irishbastard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#595 3 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I have YouTube TV - and I had previously had Playstation Vue and I tried Hulu's tv service for a week.
In my opinion the YouTubeTV interface is the best of those three and the service works REALLY REALLY well. I have no complains about the picture, options, DVR, etc. In fact when I tell it to record old reruns of a show it gives me access to multiple recording of the same episode archived so if an episode got cut off on one recording I can pick another one.
My biggest complaint against it is that they did EXACTLY what I hated about cable companies and DirecTV. About a month or two ago I got notice that they were adding several channels I did not want or ask for. Price went up like $10 monthly (which was about a 20% or so increase in the monthly rate). So once again someone tells me I'm getting a good deal for the extra money because they gave me something I didn't want, was happy living without and can't refuse to take.
Those of us who do not watch a ton of TV are pretty much better off purchasing shows on DVD or digitally into our Amazon library and may save money in the long run "owning" all the Seinfeld episodes rather than paying $70 bucks a month to have a service with 100 channels we don't watch that happens to play Seinfeld every night.

Have you tried Sling? I looked into to all options prior to ditching cable and Sling "Blue" covered 90% of our channels. Got the Airtv2 for free, hooked it to an antique abandoned antenna in our attic and get our local channels. Then added an old laptop HD for DVR on the Airtv2. Pretty happy so far. Other than Amazon/Netflix/Disney+/Hulu, we use a "Grey Market" app for movies/TV. Don't miss anything about cable. Went from paying $190 for cable/internet to $92 (With tax) for Sling and internet.

#598 3 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

This is something I probably need to look at again. Having the local channels is important (so that is why we did YouTubeTV). We live in an area that is just far enough from the major cities that the broadcast networks did not work on the last antenna I tried but I admit that was at least 10 years ago and in a different house (same town). I know the HD over antenna options have gotten better and the quality (that is signal strength) is better these days.

Just remember, there is no such thing as an "HD Antenna", it's just a sales pitch. OTA channels still run on the same UHF and VHF signals. My area blows, I only get ABC, NBC, and ION. Can't get Fox or PBS and lost CBS in order to get NBC clearly for the wife. I'm going to try a different antenna soon to see if I can at least get Fox, but I doubt it in my area. You can use this site to see exactly what channels you can receive at your address: https://www.rabbitears.info/

You can also use www.locast.com (or the locast app) for all the local channels. If it doesn't work in your area (like me), use a VPN and it will work fine.

5 months later
#619 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Just saw that NETFLIX announced they are rolling out to 'some number of users' notices when they believe that an account is being shared outside of the subscriber agreement signed. Apparently they say up to 30% of the legitimate users on Netflix have shared their username and password in a manner that conflicts with the usage agreement, and while they never really enforced anything previously, they are now letting 'some' of those people know they need to buy their own account. What it does is pop up a notice on the screen telling you that this usage is invalid and won't let you continue watching.
How many people? where? when? how do they know? etc etc etc. More to follow on this cord-cutter 'trick' I am sure...

I got the warning...Just had the account holder text me the "verification code" and it logged in normally.

1 week later
#640 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Why are you all still fighting with antennas? Locast is awesome and I use it all the time, so not sure why others aren't using it as well.

Locast isn't available everywhere.

5 months later
#702 2 years ago

Does anyone else use an Air TV with Sling? I've had Sling about a year and a half since I ditched cable, it came with a free Air TV. I use an old laptop hard drive in a portable enclosure as storage for it and it records OTA channels via an antenna I have in my attic. Sling integrates the OTA channels into my guide nicely. No complaints.

#706 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Yep, I have been for a few years, works really well and the guide is free which is a huge plus. I have a 2TB external plugged into it for recording stuff, never had an issue. I got rid of Sling paid services recently, and still use the Airtv through Sling without issue.

Have you ever noticed that it seems Airtv doesn't pickup all the available channels ? Recently lost power during a hurricane and unhooked Airtv and tried the antenna wire in a battery operated TV.... I received over 30 channels. With Airtv I get 12. Thought it was odd.

#710 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

What antenna do you have hooked up to your airtv? I am in a very rural area and have a large mast antenna hooked directly to my airtv... I get about 88 channels from Madison, Milwaukee, Rockford, and on a good day, some Chicago channels.

I have a monster roof antenna inside my attic, probably from the 60's/70's (Was here when we bought the house). I'm in a area that doesn't receive that many broadcast signals anyway, but I know I'd get more with an outside antenna (just don't want to see it).

#713 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Got a LNA (low noise amp) at the antenna?

Nope... Tried an amp and it actually lost channels.

#716 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

RF engineer here. So there's a couple of things that can do that:
1) The amp at the antenna needs to be low noise, not just a booster amp. The booster amps can potentially have a high 'noise figure' (i.e. the amp is noisy). If the amp's noise is the same level (or higher) as the signal you are trying to receive - kinda defeats the purpose and you will go backwards. So a low noise amp is quiet enough to amplify small signals and get them up to a decent level. Then you can use a booster if there's splitters, etc.
2) Too much gain: You can overload the TV w/too much signal, or the amp itself (or amps) distorts.
So a bit of a balancing act between establishing a good signal (with a quiet LNA) but not going crazy with too much overall amplification.
Hope that short FYI helps!

Thank You

1 month later
#732 2 years ago

I've only tried Sling, and have zero complaints. I don't notice any video quality issues like mentioned above. I like how my local channels via antenna are integrated into the Sling channel guide as well.

2 months later
#786 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Once you cut the cable cord, how do you guys record shows?
We keep our cable for the simplicity - wife won't dick around w more than one remote, and we don't watch anything live. We can set dvr to record "Deadliest Catch", and if they take a 4 month hiatus it picks right back up where it left off. If we were to only watch it on another service we'd never remember where we left off.
We watch hockey and football, and only a handful of other shows - American Pickers, Blue Bloods, maybe 3 others. I watch more than her. We have Netflix, Hulu, and Prime but she could care less what's on any of them.
Can you tape OTA shows too, if we were to get an antenna for the local channels?

We use Sling and a free "Air Tv" from Sling for OTA. I have an old laptop hard drive plugged into the Air Tv to dvr OTA and Sling has an included DVR service for everything else. Honestly, since ditching cable, we haven't used either DVR once. Hulu has all my wife's shows, and our "grey market" app has EVERYTHING else.

#788 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

so...about this "grey market" app........

I believe they don't want those mentioned here, just check out www.troypoint.com, it has helpful information.

2 weeks later
#833 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Me too. Easy install. It helped pick up 3 more stations and improved the signal on a couple. Pretty good for $10.

I did too, didn't work for me...a lot of effort to get it on the antenna just to make all the channels I already receive unwatchable. O well

#844 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I've been looking for an RCA ANT705 antenna for a good price. It generally retails for $40 to $50 and is currently $49.99 at Ace Hardware. If you do a Google search for ANT705 though, it pops up in the Google Ads for $29.99 @ Ace Hardware. I clicked through the ad and sure enough $29.99. If you join ACE Rewards and download their phone app, you can get another $5 off (after a 24 hour wait). So I got an ANT705 for ~$25 + tax. Credit to ADTech from TV Fool for the following antenna comparison. It's supposed to be really good for UHF.
[quoted image]

Tried, shows $49.99 in the Google ad on my end.

#846 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

What about the closeout ones at Lowes? Got a Lowes in Unknown City, RI?
Not an RCA, but maybe close enough.[quoted image]

I went to two Lowe's, no antennas at one, other had a few marked down, nothing good like you had though (one box was an obvious return, with many missing parts and somebody's Gerber multi tool). Only thing I got was the $9 RCA amp, which made things worse (Read about faulty power supplies, so going to check the voltage output on mine and see if that was the issue).

#852 2 years ago

Those flat antenna's don't even receive one channel here.

So, maybe this is why that RCA amp from Lowe's made everything worse. Wallwart is supposed to put out 12v, it's actually putting out 9v. Read elsewhere that it needs 12v to function.

20220123_104003.jpg20220123_104003.jpg20220123_104044.jpg20220123_104044.jpg
#856 2 years ago

Read the first two reviews, they both mention the need for 12v in order for it to work. Can't find the other link where I read the same.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P92D9Y/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_JJZ6K2CE1KKR2FXXWYKE

#861 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

The first reviewer says it should read 18v. The second reviewer says 12v. I call BS. In my limited understanding, you would need a step-up converter on the power injector to get 18v from a 12v power supply. Also, there is an answer provided by user ANT if I search Q&A for voltage.
"Q: What is the power inserter output voltage supposed to be? i've purchased several and they only put out 9v dc.
A: The voltage from the power injector to the amplifier is DC 9.0 +/-0.5V. The power injector is not a direct power in and out, it includes many electrical components and we use a 9V voltage regulator inside of it, so the output voltage should be 9V not 12V.
By ANT on November 2, 2021"

I believe that's a typo, think he meant 12v not 18v.

#863 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Yeah probably. I see he typed 12v elsewhere. But he's still wrong. I asked you earlier and I don't think you responded, but are you certain you don't have a splitter somewhere between the power inserter and pre-amp? Most splitters don't pass-through power. If the pre-amp isn't getting power, it's going to make the signal worse.

Sorry, no splitter. Straight coax to antenna.

#868 2 years ago

This is the old clunker I'm using (picture was taken before I connected a coax to it), unknown age, mounted in my 83 yr old house. It was in the attic, disconnected when we bought the house. It receives "19" channels, but only three "normal" channels (rest are nonsense channels). The funny thing is, when looking at sites that list signal range, it receives two clearly (36 and 10) that the sites say it shouldn't, but doesn't receive others that the sites say it should (Basically I just want 10, 12, 6, 36, and 64(fox)). Currently I receive 10, 6, 36 (the rest are nonsense channels).

20220127_070837.jpg20220127_070837.jpg

Screenshot_20220127-071749_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20220127-071749_Firefox.jpg

#871 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Also, he has twin-lead wire going to the antenna. Cool looking antenna though. I bet it is real old.

That is why i mentioned the pic was taken prior to a coax connection being added. It used to have the old flat antenna wire connected to it.

#872 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

ANT705 showing up for $29.99 again (also 10% Rakuten Cashback available now too). If it doesn't work, try using zip 32725.
[quoted image]

Tried with your zip code and it changed to $29.99.....until I went to checkout and changed the zip for store pickup, Bam, back to $49.99. D'oh, lol

#879 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Looking at the stations you want and aren't getting, they are both vhf-hi. That ANT705 isn't going to help you.
I'm wondering if you may be experiencing FM transmitter interference? See here....
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/providence-ri-ota-indoor-antenna.2130410/

So, I just happened to have an "FM Trap" in my plethora of Radio Shack "going out of business" sale piles. Tried a rescan with it installed, my previous nineteen channels, changed to 23. It now shows I have what I want, but when I select CBS or Fox, "no signal". NBC, ABC, and PBS are all still working perfectly (weather permitting).

I forgot to mention, I also have this amp thing in line, I figure it's not suitable for my application, but it was collecting dust in the basement, part of my old cable setup. Without it, all my ota channels are choppy.

20220127_163909.jpg20220127_163909.jpg20220127_165403.jpg20220127_165403.jpg
#882 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I believe that's a distribution amp and should be fine. Maybe try hooking up the pre-amp again. And just to be clear, the Antronix amp wasn't in-between the RCA pre-amp and power inserter? If it was, that's a problem.

No, I removed it first.

#892 2 years ago

So apparently, all I needed to receive all the channels I want was a Blizzard, who knew. Couldn't receive CBS at all before lol

20220129_171609.jpg20220129_171609.jpg

#895 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I'd think snow on the roof would make it worse, but maybe snow covering the ground between you and the transmitter helps? We never did ask what kind of roof you have. Hopefully not metal. That kills reception.

Just architectural roofing shingles.

#896 2 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Do you have a dual VHF/UHF antenna? I see that WRPI is VHF and most of the cheaper ones are really only designed to pull in UHF signals. Skywave Propagation is a real phenomena where waves will bounce off clouds and such so you may sometimes get a signal under certain conditions that don't normally appear.

I have an antique, picture a few posts up. (No clue what it is)

9 months later
#1110 1 year ago

I know many people who pay for Iptv services, I haven't done it as I don't trust the "paper trail". I've been fine with Sling, Disney +, And our "borrowed " services (Hulu, Netflix, Apple TV, HBOMax). We also use two "Grey market" apps that usually work fine for new movies/TV shows (use a VPN). I could care less that I don't pay for all the content we watch.

We gave up on Kodi as it never seemed to work right.

2 months later
#1149 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I just got my ATT bill 203 per month,If I cancel and keep internet only it will be 75 but I get HBOmax included with internet because I made that deal awhile back.I cant put an antenna up.I want local channels and have 2 weeks to decide if I can do better as I already told them shut it off Feb 15th .I have to keep the fast internet 75 bucks. Any suggestions.I have been following this thread but still would appreciate any suggestions.

We ditched cable a few years ago and got Verizon 400mbps for $59/month for life (We could get it cheaper through Verizon Wireless, but that service is sketchy in our area (Have to use a Verizon Booster as we couldn't send texts at home, dropped calls etc (5G sucks). We went with Sling and their "Air TV" unit which integrated our 1950's attic antenna into the channel line up and allowed a usb Hard drive to be a DVR for OTA. We were fine with Sling, which WAS $25/month...our OTA channels were hit or miss, mainly due to a crappy antenna. Well, Sling just increased their price to $40/month, not worth it. So...just ditched Sling and went with Youtube TV ($55/month for three months, then $65/month). Its SO much better, and includes all our local channels. So, currently happy with this setup, along with or "borrowed services" (Netflix, HBO Max, Apple TV, Hulu), Disney+ is included with our Verizon Wireless, and I paid for a year of Paramount+, which I'm not going to renew as I can watch those shows on our "Grey Market" apps. We do not use the Verizon router as it was garbage (In our house anyway), I'm using an Asus AX5700 (RT-AX86U) which extends 150'+ to my wireless shed Wyze cams with no issues.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider irishbastard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=irishbastard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.