(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 49 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ggg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#70 5 years ago

I have Dish Network with 3 of their DVR’s (the best UI in the biz, IMO). Trialed both TiVo and Amazon’s new Fire DVR, both paled in comparison to Dish’s DVR’s.
The included Dish Anywhere App also allows streaming and DVR control anywhere I have internet.

So my current line up is:
Dish top 200 $75/month including taxes. Which includes 3 STB’s w/DVR, no locals through Dish (you save $12/month).
Blonder Tongue OTA yagi antenna for locals, I can record all locals on my DVR’s with all guide info.
Century Link GPON Fiber internet 40MB down/ 5MB up $40/month price for life, taxes included.
Netflix 4K, $13/month (May choose to prune this now with their new price increase to $16 coming in 3 months).
Amazon Prime Video 4K free (included with Prime). 3ea 4K Amazon Fire Sticks.

Total Monthy cost for TV/Content/Internet only $128 ($1536/year). i can live with that for the value I get...

1 month later
#245 5 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

I work directly with the equipment in the telecom industry. That would be a tough rig to get 100meg out of copper pr. You'd get more from coax.
With an isam (Nokia 7330 office eqpmt) you would need under a 900m loop length to get 25 meg with a 70meg ceiling (needed anyway) Companies are "bonding" pairs using two and putting them into a single modem to get 50meg on a copper pr.

I am also in telecom, I resell quite a few vendors different offerings. many ISP’s in rural areas offer excellent quality bonded VDSL with speeds 80-100MB. In the metro areas, DSL is being replaced by Fiber. But even with fiber, the speed and latency is most always choked to the home by the weak T-1 backhaul circuits feeding the neighborhood cabinets, PON’s & DSLAM’s.

#250 5 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Every inernal and external isam cabinet we run is fed by fibre, so nothing slows neighborhoods down. and we are slowly turning everything into FTTP (fibre to the prem)
I am literally tossing in new bays to install new fibre 7360's to get ready for FTTP in my community, which is awesome.

Maybe where you are in canada, but thats certainly not the case here in the rural western us with my telcos and providers...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ggg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=ggg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.