(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 57 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider electrocute.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#96 5 years ago

Don’t have cable internet which basically means I’m screwed. No problem with local OTA channels but that can get boring pretty quick. Will not subscribe to satellite internet. They punish you if they catch you using it with slower speeds.
Directv (Ugh) customer with unlimited Att cellular data. Fiber cable is 6 miles away.

2 years later
#736 2 years ago

I’ve been waiting....waiting....and....waiting for Starlink. I live in a rural area where your choices are Directv or Dish. Gave up on satellite internet years ago(when they catch you using it, they punish you by slowing it down). Current Directv payment has surpassed $150 and I have no movie channels. Anyone know the Starlink timeframe for area code 32736?

#738 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's going by latitude, so I have to think Florida will be a while. We're up at the north end of CA and it's here, but only some of the people that signed up actually got dishes so far. I know some who already have it and others who are still waiting.

Yeah, I put down my $100 deposit earlier this year with the assumption I’d get it by the end of this year. Still waiting but damn, really want to cancel Directv. Probably will finally do it after this football season.

#744 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

What about T-Mobile Internet? We rented a cabin in BF North Carolina and used it to reliably stream Netflix all week. I was surprised how well it worked.

Just checked and it’s the same ole same ole.

36BF26D5-7BA6-4F9E-9DAC-4C83F96AC685 (resized).jpeg36BF26D5-7BA6-4F9E-9DAC-4C83F96AC685 (resized).jpeg

5 months later
#902 2 years ago

Just cancelled Directv tonight, felt good!

#928 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I looked at Frndly TV, but have to pass at $6 (I'm sort of already covered w/Philo). Pluto has a Classic TV section too.

I like FrndlyTV for the Weather Channel. Can’t live without that, especially during hurricane season.

1 week later
#948 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Were you finally able to get Starlink?

Arrived today after a 15 month wait time.

679A4DBE-EB64-4CC1-9979-7E9B102DAEC8 (resized).jpeg679A4DBE-EB64-4CC1-9979-7E9B102DAEC8 (resized).jpeg
#950 2 years ago

Compared to having something in the 1 to 5 Mbps using cellular, this is a game changer!
F5CDBCC7-1F88-4A95-A58F-47FE060981B2 (resized).jpegF5CDBCC7-1F88-4A95-A58F-47FE060981B2 (resized).jpeg

#952 2 years ago

Can’t do it without the $25 Ethernet adapter and they aren’t in stock right now.

#956 2 years ago

Moved the dish and it’s a little faster today.

02C76BAD-C92A-48D0-B132-1C082BCB9502 (resized).png02C76BAD-C92A-48D0-B132-1C082BCB9502 (resized).png
#964 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

As you said, it's so much better than what you had. I still think it ought to be faster. This is from Q4 of last year. Do you have any obstructions?
[quoted image]

Yes, trees I planted over 10 years ago which really stretches the dish further from my home. What I need is the 150’ cord which I’ll eventually get.

4 weeks later
#967 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've been a FiOS customer since 2007 and have long suffered the Verizon FiOS sell/migration to Frontier. I have 3 TV's with a whole house DVR and the package with everything except premium movie channels. My monthly bill has continued to skyrocket year after year even as I had cut services to keep the increases minimalized (every time I cut something but the price still went up from before). After my bill increased yet again last month, I had enough (new rate was around $280/mo).
Unfortunately, my only option for internet service is Frontier so I'm held hostage somewhat (well, there is satellite by the upload speeds and latency are deal killers for me). When I called to ask how much it would be to cancel everything I had and go to internet only, I was told I cannot do that as an existing customer. I could downgrade my service and keep my 50mbit internet but the price was still quite expensive. I kept seeing ads online for Frontier internet for $59/mo for 500mbit plus some benefits but was told that was for new customers only. Frustrated, I decided to go online and try to register for the new service anyway (they would not allow me to do it over the phone). I used my same name, but my full legal name this time, a different email address, and a different phone number than my old account. Long story short, I was able to sign up and two days ago had my old service cancelled and installation of the new service went great.
I now have 500mbit internet (10x was I did have), purchased 3 ROKU devices for my 3 TV's, and subscribed to YouTube TV with a $10 discount/mo for the first year as part of my internet package. I got everything hooked up and working yesterday (my main system includes and A/V receiver, and ROKU worked just fine with it), and I must say I'm very happy. Searching the YouTube channels is a little less convenient (i.e. no channel numbers that you can memorize and quickly go to with the remote), but I have all of the channels I watched before minus the History Channel (not to mention all of the free TV & movie options that come with the ROKU). Now my bill is roughly $140/mo (i.e. about half of what it was before) with unlimited DVR, and I'm getting basically the same channels with my internet being 10x faster.
I wrestled with the decision for months, but this last price increase through me over the edge. Looking back, however, I wish that I would have cut the chord a long time ago. If you are in a similar situation as I am and have been on the fence, I couldn't recommend enough to make the move.

Starlink internet will solve your problem but it’s a long wait if you’re not on the list.

2 weeks later
#981 1 year ago

I’m currently using a terrestrial antenna, Sling, Frndly, PrimeVideo, HBOMax and Roku. Roku is great plus it’s free! Frndly is about $9 a month. I’m still under $80 a month but could get it down to zero if I went strictly with Roku and PrimeVideo.

3 months later
#987 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

which internet carrier are you using ,It may be listed but Im not familiar with the name.

Starlink satellite internet. No caps and is quite fast. It’s great if you live in a rural area. Game changer for sure. $110 a month.

1 month later
#1028 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

My contact is up with Dish in a couple of months, and I am cutting the cord.
I am happy with an antenna I have, but I would like to know what the absolute best outdoor antenna there is, I would like to see if I can pick up even more channels.
Eventually I will also need to learn how to stream ESPN, for football next Fall.

Cancelled Dish many years ago, learned recently that Sling is the stream version of Dish. Had a lousy weekend with Sling when ESPN wasn’t available due to a dispute. Cancelled Sling and their answer was come back and we’ll take $10 off? Was already out way more than that because I had to switch to Fubo and basically paid for 2 services for a month.

May want to think about that if you are unhappy with Dish. Don’t get me started on my experience with Dish.

1 month later
#1140 1 year ago

How the do you cancel Bally Sport, can’t seem to do it? Doesn’t seem to be that simple. Different animal for sure. Charges go to Apple ID

#1142 1 year ago

Easy peasy, thanks!

2 months later
#1233 1 year ago

Noticed Starlink just gave themselves another raise, it’s now $120 a month. In less than a year it’s gone from $99 to $120. It’s becoming a bad option.

#1236 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Those are all solid points. Lots of dumb moves on their part. That new OS is awful. Thankfully you can revert to the traditional Tivo OS on the older devices, which I did a long time ago.

I suspect the folks with no ther option will gladly pay it. Still cheaper than Hughes I think?

Hughes is a 2 year commitment to hell! They catch ya using it, it slows down. Try and cancel, it becomes a turd you just can’t flush.

7 months later
#1529 6 months ago

How do I do this? Internet service is Starlink and is connected to this router.
I tried awhile back and gave up. Trying to get Tablo to work away from home.
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpegAF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).pngAF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png

#1539 6 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Any idea how you have it setup? Is your Starlink router in bridge mode? If it isn't, that's a double-NAT and the Tablo won't work remotely.

Thanks, I’ll look into that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider electrocute.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=electrocute and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.