(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 51 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djreddog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#608 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I have a paid Plex subscription on a Shield, and I'm about to give up on it. For some reason, either Plex or Shield (or both?) can't seem to get their act together. Constantly missing shows because someone somewhere decide to update something and it breaks the setup. Shame really, since the Shield has a lot of CPU/graphics power. I get it working, then weeks later - nada.
We also have a Tivo (wife uses that), but their software is so convoluted nowadays (trying to do everything and then some), that it's almost as much of a PIA to use as Plex. It's like they keep forgetting the main reason people buy them is for the DVR feature, not the bloatware. Plus we can't watch on other TVs unless we buy more expensive Tivo gizmos.
Right now, the Amazon Recast OTA DVR is on sell for $129 (2 tuner, $179 4 tuner) and I'm tempted to switch. I don't need all the bells and whistles, I just want something reliable, simple. Given we have some Smart TV's w/Fire TV, it just makes a lot more sense. Only gripe is it's tied to Fire TV which OK, but I have some Roku's too, which I like. But Fire sticks are cheap, so no biggie.
Man, I did a lot of complaining there!
Update: Holding off on the Recast (darn it). Doesn't support the upcoming ATSC 3.0 broadcasts, only ATSC 1.0. Need to future proof things a bit since ATSC 3.0 transmissions will make all current OTA hi-def TV's obsolete.

What are the exact issues you are having? I’ve been running Kodi since 2004 on various types of hardware and I finally made the switch to Plex + Shield TV’s at the beginning of this year. I’ve not had any issues and the biggest takeaway is that the Fiance loves it way better than Kodi.

#610 3 years ago

Gotcha. I don’t use the DVR function so I can’t elaborate. I also have a Win7 environment with updates disabled, again no issues. Sorry I couldn’t offer some advice!

5 months later
#625 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Anyone know of a way to get sports channels (local that wouldn't be blacked out)

Locast?

#639 3 years ago

Why are you all still fighting with antennas? Locast is awesome and I use it all the time, so not sure why others aren't using it as well.

9 months later
#819 2 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

What are the free options to be able to watch the national championship tomorrow night? Besides some kind of espn+ free trial

Crack stream.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djreddog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=djreddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.