(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 58 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Who-Dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#155 5 years ago

I just cut the cord and couldn't be happier. Time Warner always gave me the new customer introductory packages and kept my cable bill somewhat reasonable. Ever since Spectrum took over they have been real bastards and wont cut you a deal at all.

My bill was 218 a month, had pretty much everything and i told them i was losing my job but still wanted my cable but it had to be at a fair price. I shaved everything off to get the price down and the best internet/tv combo they would give me was 169.99. I said i need the 89 dollar new customer deal in order to keep it. They said no way in hell and they let me walk.

Anyway went and got a Roku Ultra box that nite and put sling tv on it for 25 bucks and it works like a champ, so im now saving 75 bucks a month. I also got a antenna for my local channels. I actually like my set up now more than the cable tv.

My only question is, how long until Spectrum starts capping the data usage on all of us and why aren't they doing it already? You know the greedy MFr's are going to do it eventually.

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Constant buffering during peak times. There are a lot of people having the same issue. Can stream everything else fine, Netflix, Hulu, etc. But PS vue will stutter. I can literally be watching a movie live on PS Vue that is buffering off and on, but on the same device open up directv now to the exact same channel and movie and it works flawlessly. I’ve spent way more time troubleshooting this than I should have, but it’s 100% a PS Vue issue.

I tried Playstation Vue when it first came out and i wasn't impressed, especially while trying to watch sports. It didn't stream very smooth at all. Sling tv on a Roku Ultra box seems to do very well ao far.

#161 5 years ago

They already offered me that but i was so pissed at them that intild them no way. The assholes kept me on the phone for two hours when i was trying to cancel. I will never go back unless i am forced due to data caos or something like that and then I probably still wouldnt. If it was for my gf i would just have rabbit ears and netflix but she loves her Reds games and a few other channels. Sling is the only one that offers fox sports Cincinnati in my area i think. So far with my new set up i am extremely happy and so is my gf and she is very reluctant to change but she is liking sling tv alot already. I seriously hate Spectrum with a passion now.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

I’m trying out PS Vue right now. Could be better it lags sometimes and most you cannot fast forward and rewind. I do have OTA with hdhomerun and a nas for recording. Plex and prime Netflix etc. looking for the best subscription for live tv that includes similar programs as PlayStation vue

Check Sling tv out but it runs best on a Roku Ultra box. It lags quite a bit with the firesticks. I do not recommend those at all with Sling.

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm stuck with cable until I can find a way to get my wife Good Morning America and the ID Discovery channel. Any ideas?

Yeah, tell her to pay the cable bill if she wants it so bad because you arent going to anymore.

1 week later
#216 5 years ago

Just recently switched to Sling TV and couldn’t be happier. Get the Roku Ultra box for $100.00 bucks though, screw the firesticks. Sling doesnt work nearly as well with the firesticks as it does the good roku box. Spectrum can suck it as far as I’m concerned!

2 weeks later
#259 5 years ago

Still loving my 25.00 a month Sling TV, best thing i ever did!

#265 5 years ago
Quoted from easye9901:

I just signed up for the 7 day free trial of Sling TV, going to see how I like it. It looks like they are doing a 3 month 40% off promotion, both orange & blue packages for $25 a month. Seems like a good deal to me.
Also since its baseball season, I've been streaming all the games through the Reddit MLB Streams page. So much nicer then having to pay a cable bill.

Sling has Fox Sports so thats how we watch our team. Sling TV also works much better with a Roku Ultra box than a Firestick, just something to consider. I am with Sling now and i really like it a lot so far.

1 month later
#314 4 years ago

I use an antenna as well for the network and local channels.

#316 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Appreciate that...sorry i didnt mention. I tried 60 mile indoor/outdooe, but towers are 50 to 60 miles and I cant reveive.
Vondo redtrovtions limit outdoor
Antennas, so im locked into online providees...

You can also get what they call lifeline cable around here. Its the most basic package that they have. Kind of important to have local news in areas like mine where you have severe weather sometimes.

1 month later
#325 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Cut the cord was a thing... now simply cost the same for the same crap. Pay more for streaming services than when I was feeding the cableman

My SlingTV is very reasonable, 25 a month plus two packages that i added on for another 10 bucks. So 35 dollars a month and we get all the channels that we used to watch that cable wants 99 dollars for. If it was for the Miss though i would be rabbit ears and Netflox only.

1 week later
#387 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Roku ultra 4K's on sale for $70 at Best Buy. $30 off.

Thanks for letting us know this.

#389 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Same price as amazon has been for a week now.
The stick+ does the same thing for less right? Im not sure what the ultra offers thats better honestly. I cant figure it out.

Well im no expert so please nobody jump on me if you think i am wrong, but i have had experience with the firestick and the the Roku ultra and heres the two things that i noticed while trying to watch sling tv.

#1 with the stick while trying to watch sports the movement of the ball like a baseball or a QB throwing a football the video seemed choppy and it does not with the Roku uktra. Watching sports was just horrible on my friends firestick. I dont know why this would be but i have read online that sling tv does not work very well with the firesticks.

#2 browsing through the menus with the Roku ultra is super fast and it is definitely not nearly as good with a firestick. I am assuming that the Roku has a much faster processor is why it is better. You also get a much nicer RF remote with the Roku Ultra as well.

Maybe a 3rd thing also, i have no buffering with the Roku Ultra and there was a little with the firestick.

#390 4 years ago

Same price as amazon has been for a week now.

I ordered a 2nd Roku Ultra for the basement tv tonight since i found out about the sale and best buy had free shipping on it. Excellent deal in my opinion. Im not a Amazon Prime member so i wouldnt have been able to get free shipping thru Amazon.

#392 4 years ago

Stick+ IS roku
Roku Streaming Stick+ | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Device with Long-range Wireless and Voice Remote with TV Power and Volume amazon.com link »
Has an rf remote. Has 4k. Has it all. Not sure what the deal is other than the ethernet port on the ultra.

Looks to me like the remote for the ultra has a few more features and the ultra has the ethernet port that can be hard wired instead of relying on wifi. It also has a USB and a micro SD slot, i think it comes with headphones and a headphone jack on the remote, a remote finder button and gaming buttons. It also has a night listening mode (?). Most of that may not be a huge deal but i think its definitely worth the 20 extra dollars. I like the fact that i can have it hard wired instead of relying on a wifi signal for sure.

1 week later
#395 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

One thing you can do on the newer fire sticks is get an Amazon adapter to run off a wired network rather than wifi. I think it's in the 10-$15 range. Plugs into the firestick USB power port and then I believe the fire stick power plugs into the adapter. That would at least eliminate a possible wifi issue.
Also, your wifi might just be on the low freq channels, not the GHz ones. That would limit your bandwidth.
Lastly, I had buffering issues w/Sling, and it seemed to be a common issue. Decide to give Philo a try and haven't had one buffering issue that I can recall. But no sports on Philo.
Do you have Netfilx, or something else to try to check for buffering?

The stuttering and occasional buffering happened with the firestick. Sling tv works flawlessly with the Roku Ultra. My internet is very fast so no issues there. Sling tv doesnt like the firesticks much it seems. Just dropped Sling though because they lost Fox Sports, went to Fubotv for now.

#398 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Maybe the Stick got assigned to some crowded WiFi channels. But sounds like like you got it sorted out! I had the same Sling buffering problem, but don't recall if it was FireStick or Roku. Like you, I just switched providers.

I am finding that mostl of these streaming services are almost as expensive as the cable companies. There are about 6 or 7 channels that my gf has to have and sling fit the bill perfectly until they lost fox sports. As soon as baseball season is over i will be switching to Philo, its like 16 dollars a month and I can get the local channels over the air.

If it wasn't for her i wouldn't have anything except an antenna for my locals and Netflix and/or HBO.

#400 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I've likely posted too much about Philo and how much I'm pleased with the service. For the $16/month I pay a month (it went up to $20 for new subscribers recently but added more channels), it's giving me what I use to pay almost $100/month for DirectTV. DirectTV just got too greedy with all the BS fees. Can't recall a single buffering issue with Philo, but I also don't care about ESPN with Philo doesn't provide.
Might cancel Netflix, Prime does a good job of providing content (and HULU, HBONOW).

Philo and Sling is a fair deal for sure, most of the others not so much. If it wasnt for my girlfriends Reds games i would be fine but that just throws a monkey wrench into everything and im definitely not going to take that away from her because she really loves them. Im not sure why she even likes them so much honestly because shes not even a sports fan in general. It is what it is i guess lol.

5 months later
#452 4 years ago

Will we ever have a service where we can just buy the channels that we want and not have channels that we dont want forced upon us? These streaming services are becoming almost as expensive as cable tv is. I just want to be able to pick my F’ing channels. Spectrum sucks balls in every way but they so have a streaming service where you get your local channels plus any 10 channels that you want for 20 something a month and that is perfect dor me, or so i thought anyway. The deal breaker is Fox Sports Ohio is not a channel that i can choose as one of my ten channels. This TV game really pisses me off, not gonna lie.

First had sling and LOVED it, it was cheap and food but then they dropped fox sports

Moved to Fubo after that and it was 55 a month but i liked all the channels they offered, now they just dropped fox sports.

Now im with YoutubeTV and its 50 a month but its very soorts oriented and nothing else almost so im gonna have to pick up Philo TV for 20 a month which puts my bill at 70 a month plus another 75 for my internet to stream it. Thats not much cheaper than cable really but i do get the satisfaction of giving the middle finger to Spectrum.

If there was just an app where i could buy Fox sports id be happy, then i could buy Philo for 20 a month and I’d be a happy camper.

#459 4 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Ill be battling the same issue as my Playstation VUE account dies at the end of the month. I thought about the Spectrum choose your channel but didnt realize Fox Sports wasnt included... thanks for the heads up

If Fox Sports was included that would be the perfect package for me. Hopefully one day they will make that one of the channels that you can choose. That would be awesome.

1 month later
#464 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

AMEX has a $20 back FUBOtv offer you can add to your account for the next 3 months (that they have been renewing pretty much all year, so probably even longer than that), which you can use for FUBOtv to bring it down to $45.98 for 141 channels (we have the $5.99 fubo extra add-on included in that price), multiple streams, and a 500hour dvr, the best deal out there. Better interface and way more channels than Philo (including a lot of news channels), and MUCH better video quality than SlingTV.
Video quality is about the same as Vue, and the only real negative is no profiles for individual DVR queues, but that's coming in the next update.

Philo is 20 dollars a month so it's kind of unfair to compare the two services but honestly since Fubo lost Fox Sports Ohio I would rather have Philo and pocket the extra money.

#466 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Philo has a terrible interface, bad DVR, no news channels, and about 1/3 the channels. I wasn't comparing them, really. The base Fubo still has more than 2x the channels and with the AMEX promo is only $39.
We've tried all the streaming services except youtubeTV (we're de-googling ourselves as much as possible now that google is evil), and now that VUE is gone, Fubo is the best all-around that's left. Their only problem is price, but the AMEX promo fixes that. They ran it almost all last year, so I don't see the promo credit ending anytime soon.

SlingTV was the best for me until they lost fox sports, then i switched to Fubo which is also good but more expensive than Sling and then they lost Fox Sports, so now I've had to go to YouTubeTV which is even more expensive and not really that great unless all you like is sports. So now i have YouTube TV for the Fox Sports and Philo TV so the gf can watch her hallmark channels and TV land etc. None of them now have it all like Sling and Fubo did. Basically to get all the channels i want i have went from a 35 dollar Sling TV bill to now 75 dollars to get all of what i want.

Its the Fox Sports that throws a monkey wrench into everything because the gf has to watch her Cincinnati Reds games. I wish it was all Ala cart and i could pick my own channels instead of being forced to buy channels like BET and the shopping channel etc that i will never watch. Those channels would never survive on their own if they depended on subscriptions from people. I bet 75% of the channels wouldn't survive if they depended on people purchasing them. I literally hate the TV industry and i wouldn't pay for any of it if it wasn't for my gf. I would have rabbit ears only and maybe Netflix.

#468 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

My main problem with SlingTv is the video quality is ATROCIOUS. So crappy. I got spoiled with Vue, which had very good to excellent video quality, so SlingTV was a slap in the face. We were out after the one month trial and moved to Fubo (because we already tried Philo and its channel selection was too limited and had a bad interface, too).
There's a huge market for the taking for the first service that gives you all the channels you would get on cable AND a decent interface AND a good cloud DVR - at a reasonable price. No one provider has that - yet. But as HBOMax and Peacock and others enter the market this year, there will HAVE to be consolidation. There is just too much fragmentation and it's only getting worse.

I had no problem with Slings pictures quality. I know that Sling doesn’t like the fire sticks because a friend of mine brought his over and i didn't like it. I then did some reading and found out about the fire stick thing and sling. I bought a Roku Ultra for $99 dollars and the Sling TV worked great on it. No stuttering at all while watching sports like there was on the Fire stick. Maybe that is your problem?

#470 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's not stuttering, it's compression. The video quality looks BAAD if you're sensitive to it. We watch on a 4K HDR OLED (but it looks equally bad on our high-end Panasonic plasmas in other rooms) and Sling video is massively overcompressed, so the crispness of the video is lost, leading to a generally indistinct, softened non-dynamic-looking image. Trust me, they're massively over-compressing what they're sending out to save bandwidth.
We don't use Fire products (terrible) or Rokus (only slightly less terrible). Sling looks bad on Nvidia Shield and Apple TV 4k, which top-tier streaming boxes at the moment.

I guess it’s something that just doesn’t bother me then. As long as its hd and smooth im good.

#472 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I switched to YouTube tv after vue tanked. Video quality is good, less buffering than vue, dvr is great AND they have good “suggestions” for shows since they spy on you!

YouTube TV is ok but its so heavily sports oriented that i just cant see any females liking it.

#474 4 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Whoa whoa whoa so the GF ONLY needs her Reds games? Get with it man and join the club it’s going to be a good year!

Lol I like them also but not as much as her. Shes one if their biggest fans, never misses a game ever. I think the Reds will definitely be very good this year though.

#476 4 years ago

Always weirds me out when people have this much time to devote to a sport

If it makes her happy then i am happy. She worked her whole life and is semi retired now so she has earned the free time that she has and if she wants to watch all of the Reds games thats her right to do so.

#483 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I think that has everything to do with losing Fox Sports. For the midwest (not sure about other regionals) Fox Sports (not FS1 or FS2) carried the local teams live. So if I wanted to watch Brewers or Bucks, I had to have Fox Sports. Sling was easily the most affordable option to watch this channel, and lost it around the middle of last year (I think that was when they lost it).
I know for a fact if Sling brought it back, I would subscribe to Sling right away for it. As it stands right now, I have zero desire to pay $40+ dollars for live TV. We have cut back to Hulu, DisneyPlus, and an antenna with DVR for a grand total of $12 per month.

Yep i think losing Fox Sports hurt them more than they thought it was going to. I would love to go back to SlingTV if they would get it back.

1 week later
#508 4 years ago

You have got to be shitting me? The only thing left that Carrie's it is Hulu now right?

#511 4 years ago

Oh well, off to HULU TV i guess.

#512 4 years ago

I think the cable companies are very much behind this as well.

#515 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Who-Dey.... if your girlfriend just needs it for Reds games, check out MLBtv.... it will save you some money over Hulu Live.

That would be awesome but im not sure how to set up the DNS server thing?

#540 4 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

It appears Fox Sports is going to remain on YouTube tv temporarily as they work out a long term deal

I gotta believe that the owners of Fox Sports has really hurt themselves by being such dickheads. They have to be missing out on a lot of money with all these streaming services dropping them wouldn't you think?

1 month later
#554 4 years ago

I wonder if Fox Sports wishes that they wouldn't have been so greedy now? I almost gotta believe that their value has went down now that there isnt any sports going on.

1 week later
#557 4 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

I was thinking the same thing. GREEEEED

Yep it looks like greed is going to cost them big time. I love it.

#561 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I use Philo, and the UI was the only minor gripe I had back when I got it, maybe a year or so ago. They've updated their UI, much better now. At least on the Rokus and Fire Sticks. I use Pluto for news (free).

Philo is awesome. Only a chronic bitcher would complain about it for 20 dollars a month.

#563 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You rang?
Cheap isn't a deal if the product is annoying. Philo is annoying. With the AMEX 20 back, Fubo is substantially better with more channels (about 2x as many) for $40/mo net, a MUCH better DVR interface and more storage.

Philo seems fine to me. I liked Fubo until they lost Fox Sports Ohio and that was a deal breaker for me. Philo is a bargain at 20 bucks though in my opinion.

2 months later
#571 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

the loss of CNN International and CNN is a drag.

You cant be serious.......right?? Lol

#573 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

People that watch FOX News and think they're getting actual news are delusional.

Lol I'm cracking up over here. Thanks for the laugh! Did Fubo ever get fox regional sports back?

#575 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Don't know. I don't watch them. But cutting ANY channel, then telling subscribers after the fact is bad for keeping those subs.

Yeah I agree. I'm not happy about the YouTube TV increase because they added channels either. If it wasn't for my gf loving her baseball games and Hallmark, TV Land etc I would drop you tube TVand Philo for. I may keep Philo possibly but I doubt it. I'm paying way too much for TV.

When Sling lost Fox Sports that really screwed me, then Fubo lost fox sports and that really screwed me.

2 months later
#592 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Youtube just announced their departure from Sinclair.... No surprise there. Say goodbye to regional sports networks.
[quoted image]

Yeah I saw that. I think the baseball playoffs will be on the national networks probably so no big deal. I hate fox sports honestly. They sound like they are a bunch of money hungry greedy ass pricks.

#600 3 years ago

I will be so glad once the Reds are eliminated from the playoffs (hopefully tomorrow) so I can cancel my YouTube TV subscription and save 70 dollars a month. I will then only be paying 20 dollars a month for Philo TV which is a great deal imo and I will watch my local channels with a antenna.

My gf basically cost me 90 dollars a month during baseball season between Philo and YouTube TV. I could get by with using a antenna only and I would have my Amazon Prime. Theres a few shows on Netflix I like but I can log into a friends account for that what little i watch of it.

Happy days are here again, good bye YouTube TV!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Who-Dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=Who-Dey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.