(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 58 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VectorGamer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 5 years ago

Here's my setup:

Comcast Gigabit (1-Gbps down/35-Mbps up)

OTA antenna connected to Tablo allows me to stream OTA to any TV in the house. Tablo connects via WiFi, HDHomeRun over Ethernet. Just keep that in mind. 1-TB USB drive connected to Tablo for DVR.

Roku attached to all TVs in the house.

Plex Media Server running on a Western Digital NAS. I use it mainly for streaming music but I also ripped my entire DVD collection of movies and TV shows for streaming.

Hulu Live TV for cable channels

NetFlix. Although I would cancel it if it weren't for the wife and kids.

Amazon Prime

There's a ton of channels and a ton of content available for streaming on Roku. Some of my favorite free channels are YouTube, PlutoTV and CBS Sports HQ.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Is there any simple solution for live tv besides local OTA?

You really just need to look at the channels available on streaming services like Hulu, Sling, YouTube TV, Philo, Playstation Vue, Fubo etc and pick the one that has the best package.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Do any of them allow you to watch weekly shows?

Yes. It's just like having cable.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Use the money you save to buy a new 4K TV.

I just recently bought a 55" 4K TV from Costco for a few hundred dollars. I don't watch anything in 4K though.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Roku has lots of free 4K content, and of course Netflix and Amazon Prime has it too.

I'm only aware of Roku's "4K Theater" channel (or whatever it's called) and there's not much there and it's just links to 4K YouTube videos. NetFlix charges extra for 4K and I don't use Prime much to be aware of what they're offering.

I just remembered that NASA has a 4K channel.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from luch:

Lived in 2 houses and also 30 years later and $60K in savings , I have never paid for one single day of cable , OTA is great , get about 25 plus channels all in high def , and use internet on the smart TV to watch documentaries

I get about 15 channels OTA. And I watch sports more than anything on TV. And in that regard OTA doesn't cut it.

#91 5 years ago

For recording OTA and streaming to any TV in the house:

Tablo 4 tuner
https://www.amazon.com/Tablo-4-Tuner-Digital-Recorder-Streaming/dp/B00MWLZR0I/ref=sr_1_3

1-TB USB drive for under $50
https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-HDTB410XK3AA-Canvio-Portable-External/dp/B079D359S6/ref=sr_1_4

Of course you can get a larger drive if need be. But for me, 1-TB is sufficient.

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Tablo: Looks cool, but its OTA only at this time.
Im nervous about the OTA only route. OTA offers some core channels, but what about Comcast Sports Net or the like?

Tablo is only for streaming and recording OTA. The selling point is you can stream OTA to any device over WiFi.

I went with Tablo because the HDHomeRun only connects over Ethernet. All my networking equipment is in the basement and when I tested my antenna in the basement I only got half the channels. So I got a Tablo where it connects WiFi allowing me to have the antenna upstairs where I have better OTA reception.

If you want Comcast Sports Net you're going to need a streaming provider like Hulu or YouTube TV that carries it.

4 weeks later
#199 5 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Looks like the Hulu plan would work, but it's $45/month.

But how much are you paying for cable?

1 week later
#211 5 years ago

You could just get a Tablo which connects over WiFi instead of Ethernet.

Or get a wireless bridge if you really need the HDHomeRun.

2 weeks later
#236 5 years ago

Any one have ATT DSL?

DSL is still a thing?

#242 5 years ago
Quoted from TRC73:

I've found the Roku hardware to be indispensable for cutting the cord.

I have three Roku Ultras and a Roku 3.

I need to get a stick though for when I travel.

#253 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Youtube tv just raised their rates $10/month to $50.. Pretty soon it will be cheaper to go back to cable if this keeps up. All of the big providers have gone up quite a bit over the last two years. Looks like a Philo/Sling combo will be the way to go assuming their pricing stays lower.

I predicted a while ago that prices for live streaming services were going to get so high that we're all going to go back to having cable or satellite.

I would be happy if someone came out with an all sports streaming package. Fubo comes close but they're over $50 a month.

3 months later
#384 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

if you need sports, HuluLive is the best bang for the buck for multiple streams

What about Fubo?

5 months later
#437 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Think I am spending MUCH MUCH more streaming but "That is the future"

Some people do spend more.

Here's what I'm subbed to:

Netflix ($9 a month basic plan for one stream. I don't watch anything on there but my wife and daughter do else I'd cancel it)
Prime ($13 a month. I don't watch anything here either but we buy stuff off of Amazon throughout the year)
ESPN+ ($5 a month - will cancel once NHL season is over)
Sling ($25 signed up to get ESPN for college bowl season. Will cancel a week from now since college football will officially be over)
Curiosity Stream ($12 for the YEAR. Will cancel towards the end of the year)
Disney+ (free. will cancel when the year is up)
MLB.tv (around $125 for the season)

If we take Sling out of the picture, next month I will be spending $28 for streaming services.

Once baseball season starts that's a little over $20 a month extra but cheaper than paying YouTube TV $300+ for the season just to follow my regional MLB team and with MLB.tv I can watch a lot more games.

On top of that I watch and record stuff free over the air, free ad-supported channels like Pluto TV and utilize the public library to check out movies/TV DVDs for free. There's always something to watch.

#440 4 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

Tell me more about ESPN+?

Once the baseball postseason was over I was looking into watching the NHL during the week. I was looking into NHL.tv for the season then discovered that ESPN+ broadcasts at least one game almost every night of the week. I consider myself a casual hockey fan so I went with ESPN+ since it's only $5 a month and I really have no preference as to what team I'm watching.

I also watch soccer Saturday and Sunday mornings. This past weekend they had a ton of English FA Cup matches on, although they typically broadcast Serie A or the English 2nd division on the weekends. They'll be getting Bundesliga for the 2020-21 season.

Plus they have NFL Primetime on Sunday nights with TJ and Chris Berman which is awesome - 45 minutes with no commercials and over just in time for Sunday night football.

Well worth the $5 per month.

They have a shit ton of basketball on also, but I don't like to watch basketball. Google "watch ESPN" and you can see the upcoming broadcast schedule.

#447 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Free Year - How - I got a free Month or 10 days

Verizon customers got a free year

Quoted from DaMoib:

For football, YouTubeTV is great - I record ALL NCAA and NFL games received in my area and fast forward thru commercials. The only thing it doesn't have is NFL Network, which this season only hurt on Week 17 Saturday.

Antenna is sufficient for me. A lot of college football is broadcast OTA on Saturday and mostly they are marquee matchups. Of course if you're unlike me and follow a specific school then maybe a streaming service is a necessity. I signed up with Sling just in time for bowl season so I could get ESPN.

I get all the NFL games on Thursdays and Sundays OTA. The only thing I'm missing is Monday Night Football. If the Eagles happen to be playing on a Monday night, I fire up one of those online streams and watch the game on my laptop. As far as that Saturday NFL Network exclusive slate of games, ESPN had a triple header of bowl games that same day which I watched instead.

1 month later
#460 4 years ago

Sling has a special offer $5 for the first month for new or returning subs. You have to sign up by 11:59 PM EST 2/11. I signed up and got the rate after canceling last month once college football was over. Just in time for racing at Daytona on FS1.

1 week later
#488 4 years ago

Im not trying to put people down. I legitimately dont get it.

ITT: OP starts thread about watching TV, then criticizes people for watching TV

1 week later
#518 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Here is the service I used a few years ago-
https://unlocator.com/channel/mlb-tv/
The even have guides for the non-IT folks-
https://unlocator.com/setup/
Their pricing has gone up a little bit ($4/month for the DNS only service), but still a much better deal than Hulu if you only want it for MLB.

Unsure of how changing DNS servers works since MLB.tv blackouts are based on the location of your source IP.

#536 4 years ago

Sling was only $5 this month so I subbed just so I could watch speedweeks on Fox. Video quality looks fine to me.

I read PlutoTV redesigned their interface on Roku. Going to fire it up tonight to see what all changed. Would be nice if I could just create a favorites listing to filter out all the stuff I don't watch.

1 week later
#545 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I subscribe, watch the full season of whatever, cancel, then get it again when I need it...for stuff like cbs all access. Only bummer is avoiding spoilers for shows until the whole season is available

I do the same with sports. Signed up with Sling for college bowl season on ESPN, canceled after National Championship Game. I signed up again at the beginning of February for their $5 month special to watch speedweeks on Fox and canceled earlier this week.

Signed up for ESPN+ for $5 a month for NHL, will cancel in a few weeks when the season is over.

6 months later
#596 3 years ago

I signed back up to Sling last week so I could watch the Chiefs/Ravens game last Monday night. $20 for the month and they threw in Starz, Showtime and Epix at no extra charge. I canceled my subscription yesterday. I'll renew if there's a college bowl season.

I canceled my MLB.tv subscription yesterday also. I'm going to just sub to ESPN+ and watch whatever MLB games they have on there or the MLB.tv free game of the day next season. I like ESPN+ for the Bundesliga on the weekends and NFL Primetime Sunday nights. Plus when NHL is in season they have a game on almost every night of the week.

I dumped Comcast Internet last week and signed up for 400-Mbps FIOS which will save me another $40 a month. Plus I'll get another free year of Disney+ and ad-supported Hulu for signing up.

Most of my TV time is spent watching sports, so an antenna does well this time of year for football on the weekends.

Other than that, between Plex, Tablo and YouTube I have plenty of stuff I haven't watched yet. Free services like PlutoTV, Roku Channel and Stirr are good when I can't make up my mind what I want to watch. When sports went on hiatus this past spring, I never watched as much PlutoTV and YouTube prior to the lockdown.

I also have Curiosity Stream. I'm on the fence if I want to renew or not. I took the $12 deal for the year back in January. I don't watch it much but I have enjoyed the content that I have watched.

7 months later
#665 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Philo is easily the best bang for the buck provider out there.

That's an opinion. For me it's worthless because there are no sports. I'll be signing up for Sling in June to watch Euro 2020 on ESPN. A lot of people don't like Sling for various reasons. But for me it's cost effective and I can subscribe whenever I need to watch ESPN like for the upcoming soccer tournament or college bowl season and cancel at any time. Everyone has different viewing habits - what works for you doesn't necessarily work for me. Thankfully we all have options.

3 months later
#678 2 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

After the court decision, I hope they don't go away...
(I've been a donor for about a year)

They just pulled the plug today

#685 2 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

If only that worked as good as online streaming....
Also, anybody that was on a monthly donation plan with Locast should log in and unsubscribe

After you pay for the antenna and DVR it's free. You can call Dish and they'll sell you an outdoor antenna with installation for like $150 last I checked. I currently have an indoor antenna and going to upgrade to outdoor next year. I use a Tablo with a 1-TB USB drive for DVR.

3 months later
#778 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Trying to set up WMP and VLC players to cast to the TV from a Windows 7 PC, I'm following all the instructions I've found online but it's not working. I understand it's very simple with Windows 10, don't have a Win10 PC yet though. Anyone had problems with Win7 and gotten it to work?

Install a Plex server.

1 week later
#822 2 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

What are the free options to be able to watch the national championship tomorrow night? Besides some kind of espn+ free trial

There are alternate broadcasts on ESPN3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VectorGamer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=VectorGamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.