(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 52 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ReadyPO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#110 5 years ago

Quit cable five years ago, along with the phone landline. My 16 yr old daughter got tired of hearing me say "We watch too much TV" and marched me down to the cable company to cancel it. So, we just have cable internet with Amazon Prime and Netflix (we had OTA free on our internet package, but when that went away, never got around to putting up an antenna). Got an AT&T Microcell that boosts our otherwise bad cell coverage to five bars. I find we watch much less TV overall but its higher quality, one series at a time with no commercials. So, a LOT less money, higher quality and less time in front of the TV, more on Pinball and if we want to watch the "big game" we do it at Bdubs, which is a lot more fun.

2 years later
#815 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Then I purchased a $150.00 antenna, and holy crap, I get 106 channels over the air now for FREE!

Cut the cord six years ago, decided we were watching too much tv. For years, just had Amazon Prime, then added Netflix, and finally, HBO Max (came with new phone contract). For sports, we would go to Bdubs etc occassionally to watch the Packers, or Thursday night games on Amazon, or Fox preview on the computer.

We are very far from the TV broadcast stations so I didn't think we would get anything, but finally broke down and got an antenna like @johnnyPinball007. Put in up over the holiday - 46 stations including ABC, NBC, Fox and PBS and a shaky CBS! Watch Sunday Night Football Crystal Clear for the first time in years!

Absolutely no regrets cutting the cord - have saved enough $$$ over the years for a new Pinball, reduced our coach potato time substantially leaving a lot more time for other things (Family, pinball, projects, etc), and realized that there is no show, movie, sporting event so important that you can't go without (internet is a different story tho )

1 week later
#831 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I just bought RCA preamp for $9.47 at Lowes on clearance.

Me too. Easy install. It helped pick up 3 more stations and improved the signal on a couple. Pretty good for $10.

2 weeks later
#874 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

don't ask me why they're called Yagi's. I have no idea

From Wikipedia:

The antenna was invented in 1926 by Shintaro Uda of Tohoku Imperial University, Japan,[5] with a lesser role played by his colleague Hidetsugu Yagi.[6][7]

However the "Yagi" name has become more familiar with the name of Uda often omitted. This appears to have been due to Yagi filing a patent on the idea in Japan without Uda's name in it,[5] and later transferring the patent to the Marconi Company in the UK.[8]

8 months later
#1063 1 year ago

Got rid of Cable January 2016.
Went from $170 to $60 for internet, Netflix/Amazon
Samsung TV (150 channels - free)
Over the air antenna - $160 one time charge, about 40 channels
Wi Fi upgrade (mesh) - $400 one time charge not needed since the tvs/computers are hardwired, but I will add the cost in here.

Total savings - around $8500 so far. We have toyed with adding Disney or Discovery but to be honest, there is so much content out there on what we have, way more than we have time to spend watching it. The most we miss is some sports games. The real benefit of cutting the cord has been freedom from tv, the real savings is the time we use to spend watching it. It is frequently only on for about 1 hour at night during the week, and maybe 3-6 hours on the weekend max.

Yes, more time is spent on the internet (like on Pinside), but at least it is more interactive

1 week later
#1079 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Flex is free with your Xfinity Internet, and includes movies, shows,
and more. Get yours in time to enjoy Free TV Week from Nov 22-28.

Found this:

"Comcast and Charter announced the move last week to better compete against Roku, Amazon, Samsung and other streaming distribution companies."

My Samsung TV has something like 150 stations for free (with commercials of course). This move by Comcast is probably the beginning of the end of traditional cable. Sports are the last linchpin propping traditional cable up and declining major sport viewership on TV (due to cable cutting, lack of interest, a thousand other options to watch including other sports like pickleball, curling, etc.) - I think traditional cable will be all but dead in five-10 years.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ReadyPO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=ReadyPO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.