(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 58 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#463 4 years ago

AMEX has a $20 back FUBOtv offer you can add to your account for the next 3 months (that they have been renewing pretty much all year, so probably even longer than that), which you can use for FUBOtv to bring it down to $45.98 for 141 channels (we have the $5.99 fubo extra add-on included in that price), multiple streams, and a 500hour dvr, the best deal out there. Better interface and way more channels than Philo (including a lot of news channels), and MUCH better video quality than SlingTV.

Video quality is about the same as Vue, and the only real negative is no profiles for individual DVR queues, but that's coming in the next update.

#465 4 years ago

Philo has a terrible interface, bad DVR, no news channels, and about 1/3 the channels. I wasn't comparing them, really. The base Fubo still has more than 2x the channels and with the AMEX promo is only $39.

We've tried all the streaming services except youtubeTV (we're de-googling ourselves as much as possible now that google is evil), and now that VUE is gone, Fubo is the best all-around that's left. Their only problem is price, but the AMEX promo fixes that. They ran it almost all last year, so I don't see the promo credit ending anytime soon.

#467 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

SlingTV was the best for me until they lost fox sports, then i switched to Fubo which is also good but more expensive than Sling and then they lost Fox Sports, so now I've had to go to YouTubeTV which is even more expensive and not really that great unless all you like is sports. So now i have YouTube TV for the Fox Sports and Philo TV so the gf can watch her hallmark channels and TV land etc. None of them now have it all like Sling and Fubo did. Basically to get all the channels i want i have went from a 35 dollar Sling TV bill to now 75 dollars to get all of what i want.
Its the Fox Sports that throws a monkey wrench into everything because the gf has to watch her Cincinnati Reds games. I wish it was all Ala cart and i could pick my own channels instead of being forced to buy channels like BET and the shopping channel etc that i will never watch. Those channels would never survive on their own if they depended on subscriptions from people. I bet 75% of the channels wouldn't survive if they depended on people purchasing them. I literally hate the TV industry and i wouldn't pay for any of it if it wasn't for my gf. I would have rabbit ears only and maybe Netflix.

My main problem with SlingTv is the video quality is ATROCIOUS. So crappy. I got spoiled with Vue, which had very good to excellent video quality, so SlingTV was a slap in the face. We were out after the one month trial and moved to Fubo (because we already tried Philo and its channel selection was too limited and had a bad interface, too).

There's a huge market for the taking for the first service that gives you all the channels you would get on cable AND a decent interface AND a good cloud DVR - at a reasonable price. No one provider has that - yet. But as HBOMax and Peacock and others enter the market this year, there will HAVE to be consolidation. There is just too much fragmentation and it's only getting worse.

#469 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I had no problem with Slings pictures quality. I know that Sling doesn’t like the fire sticks because a friend of mine brought his over and i didn't like it. I then did some reading and found out about the fire stick thing and sling. I bought a Roku Ultra for $99 dollars and the Sling TV worked great on it. No stuttering at all while watching sports like there was on the Fire stick. Maybe that is your problem?

It's not stuttering, it's compression. The video quality looks BAAD if you're sensitive to it. We watch on a 4K HDR OLED (but it looks equally bad on our high-end Panasonic plasmas in other rooms) and Sling video is massively overcompressed, so the crispness of the video is lost, leading to a generally indistinct, softened non-dynamic-looking image. Trust me, they're massively over-compressing what they're sending out to save bandwidth.

We don't use Fire products (terrible) or Rokus (only slightly less terrible). Sling looks bad on Nvidia Shield and Apple TV 4k, which are two top-tier streaming boxes at the moment.

#481 4 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

I cut the cord 2yrs ago. My spectrum contract ended and and the rates were275.00! Yeah screw me for being a 20yr customer so bye bye.
I have Hulu live and Netflix. I’m very satisfied. With internet it’s 110.00 for all.
But it’s not perfect neither was spectrum.
I also like that I can watch anywhere.

We ditched Spectrum when tuning adapters came to our town (we escaped them for a long time) and the video quality turned to crap because of overcompression.

Interesting to see that SlingTV lost almost 100k subscribers in the 4th quarter. That's almost 5% of their total in one quarter. Eventually the crappy interface and poor video quality seems to be overcoming the cheap buy-in. Warms my heart to see people ditch mediocrity.

https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/dish-narrows-tv-subscriber-losses-in-q4-but-drops-sling-tv-customers-for-the-first-time-1203507445/

#493 4 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

wow. signed up for an account, watching the Philly news now and chromecasting to my 65" tv and the signal is awesome.
not sure how i never heard of this before

Don't get too used to it. Aereo did basically the same thing and was sued out of existence. Locast is being sued now. The only difference is they are (allegedly) non-profit in the service of the public interest. So they have a slim chance. But they could disappear next week or next month if it doesn't go their way.

#502 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Every DVR solution for OTA seems to have some sort of drawback (price, reliability, stupid limitations, video quality). I ended up snagging a used Tivo Roamio OTA with Lifetime sub for ~$100 off CL. This was perfect for me. I've noticed people seem to be dumping Tivos too. The new Hydra OS sucks IMO, but it is easy enough to revert to the traditional Tivo OS which is great. I wish I could have everything piped through one device. The Tivo "should" be able to do that, but no Philo app. The Roku is fine for Philo, but for sports it sucks. Sunday ticket looks so much better on my Xbox vs Roku.

Yeah, we're doing our broadcast networks with a Roamio OTA and TiVo Minis. Few hundred bucks set up the whole house. Problem is, supposedly TiVo will force all boxes to the new terrible interface sometime this year, no reverting after that point. Not looking forward to it. TiVo had the best interface in the business. No idea why they changed it.

#504 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I've been using Tivo for a couple of decades off and on. My last new purchase was a cable only (which I regret) Roamio. I had that sucker 98%+ full most of the time and never got a nag to upgrade to the new OS. I figure if I keep the HD full, they won't be able to upgrade it. As little as we watch OTA, I thought we'd be OK with live broadcasts, but once you get used to pausing and rewinding, it's tough not having it.

They have a spare OS partition. They WILL upgrade you, and it will suck.

We were original TiVo loyalists. Bought a Series 1 the first month it came out. We owned at least one of every model they made up until the Bolt where they lost their way. Now, we've sold all our Roamios except the OTA one and are sadly mostly out of TiVo. They lost us for the most part. And yes, it does suck.

#506 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Given how so many have voiced disdain for the new OS, it's a little hard to believe they will totally force it on me. Ultimately this is a band-aid until I have an ATSC 3 solution. I don't see that happening anytime soon, so I should get at least a couple of years out of the Tivo.

It would've been hard to believe they'd force COMMERCIALS on you before letting you watch recorded shows on your local TiVo, not that long ago, but the "new" TiVo company is doing that now, too. Terrible all around.

#513 4 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

You are correct sir. Bunch of shit this Sinclair company

Sinclair is bad news. They've been sucking up local affiliates to push their propaganda. In the old days not so long ago, they wouldn't be allowed to own as much local TV as they do.

#519 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Ive had sling for years and I find the video quality very good. I actually recently gave youtube TV a trial and thought that sucked. Id never pay the higher cost for that..

We're very sensitive to video quality and Sling is objectively terrible. Massively overcompressed, making everything muddy, and crappy 20th century 30fps frame rates on all but a couple sports channels. Nasty.

It's not just us, though. Here's one of dozens of articles on how crappy SlingTV quality is:
https://www.techhive.com/article/3408376/sling-tv-would-be-great-if-it-wasnt-so-chintzy.html

We have a 400Mbps connection and AppleTV4K boxes, so it's not that. SlingTV says they can deliver the best quality (for them) at 3mbps, which says it all. Netflix needs 7Mbps for 1080p/60 and 3.6Mbps for 720p/60 and has noticibly better quality. Fubo delivers 720p/60 on broadcast live and 1080p/60 if you watch the shows on demand.

#523 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Edit - i didnt scroll down enough to see the frame rate stuff. I dont have problems with it but if you super into video quality, i woulnt stream in general. For movies, im a disk only guy anyways. Streaming will never compare...

Netflix is fine. Fubo is acceptable. Good streaming can be done. SlingTV just isn't doing it.

#525 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Philo is surprisingly good to my eyes. My senior citizen in-laws can't tell the diff between SD and HD.

Philo is okay. Better than SlingTV because it's compressed less so the picture isn't as soft, but they only offer 30fps. We had it for a while, but the interface was the thing that turned us off more than anything. If they had popular news channels, we'd probably have sucked it up and kept them since it was a perfect compliment to our OTA TiVos. But extremely limited news options (Cheddar news doesn't count!) killed them for us.

#531 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

yea sorry, I just disagree. I have netflix, hulu and sling. They all look the same at my house.
I have not seen one streaming media that comes close to looking as good as a bluray. And it isnt going to be possible due to compression rates and bandwidths. Lots of artifacts floating around with streaming.

Depends on your TV/AV receiver. We're working with 4k OLED and Plasma (depending on the room), so if you have crappy source, it's obvious.

Same thing with frame rate. If you're sensitive to it, it's obvious.

Netflix is MARKEDLY better on our OLED than SlingTV. Not even in the same universe.

#533 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I have an LG OLED and Samsung QLED.

Well there's your problem. If you are okay with QLED after having OLED, you must not be sensitive to picture quality.

#535 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I just use the news apps on my Roku when I'm not using OTA. I like the MSNBC app. The evening news is generally live on it.

I hate this crappy trend to require discrete apps to get the content you want and refuse to do it. Companies just want the user data for themselves, so it's an artificial constraint. I won't support it.

#537 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Oh please lol. Now you are just getting silly .
But this is a good example of why streaming will never be as good as disc. So yes, perhaps im picky with my movies and dont care about the tv. (I dont actually watch much actual tv).
https://thewirecutter.com/blog/are-you-really-watching-4k-on-your-new-4k-tv/

You DO realize thewirecutter.com is a pay for review site that has been caught pushing product they've been paid to. That linked article reads like an advertorial for Blu Ray, which it likely is given their history and reputation.

1 week later
#542 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I wish I had an app to manage my streaming services.
Say I wanted Star Wars and Star Trek, along with NetFlix and Amazon Native shows.
Something I could optimally turn on and off a stream, so that I binge watch a couple series a month,
on one service, turn off, turn on another service, and repeat.
A Master, Master remote.
BTW There are two Credit cards to pay all these bills with nice reward.
5% on chase ink, and 6% on Amex Blue.
They list the companies that this applies to, but Im happy with a bit more than $15 a month back.

AMEX Blue Preferred outright gives you $20 back on Fubo each month as a rebate, as long as you're signed up on the AMEX control panel.

The only thing I outright hate about Fubo is they have it set so if you swipe left or right (even a little) on the apple remote, it changes the channel and you lose the buffer of the channel you're watching. I've picked up the remote and in the process accidentally changed channels more times than I can count. It's a TERRIBLE feature, but there's no way I can see to turn it off.

#551 4 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

Cut the cord a while back, not missing it much, enjoying streaming and YouTube TV helps a lot.
Question I have is about connectivity for the rest of the house, I'm seeing lots of slowdowns in WIFI for laptops and house. We upped our bandwidth when we switched but still seeing lag. Is this likely a modem/router problem? I thought about buy/using our own equipment figuring that it would be better than whatever spectrum provided us.
Is this a valid fix? And an easy switch? I know they won't support it but figure I would just swap back if any service required in future.
Thoughts? Thanks.

If you buy your own well-researched equipment it will ALWAYS perform better than the crap from the ISP.

1 month later
#562 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Philo is awesome. Only a chronic bitcher would complain about it for 20 dollars a month.

You rang?

Cheap isn't a deal if the product is annoying. Philo is annoying. With the AMEX 20 back, Fubo is substantially better with more channels (about 2x as many) for $40/mo net, a MUCH better DVR interface and more storage.

2 months later
#570 3 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

YouTube TV heading to $65 a month, starting this month... adios for me. We'll see how long I can go without *any* streaming service. Mostly watched football, baseball and golf but I'm losing interest in watching them in their current socially distanced state anyway.

Fubo screwed their subscribers by pulling CNN and some other channels with ZERO notice last week. We got the email after it was done. Oh, and they're raising the price, too. They justified it by saying they're adding some more channels no one wants IN TWO MONTHS, but the loss of CNN International and CNN is a drag. I had "news row" with all the channels lined up, and CNNI overnight is usually pretty good, so pissed they took it away with no notice.

The drag is that it seems to be a "thing" that Warner will be doing as contracts expire so they can drive people to a new platform of theirs in 2021. Crazy.

We already have Hulu no commercials at a discount and you can get the gift cards for 20% off occasionally, so considering moving to Hulu Live, no commercials and ditching Fubo. Only problem is Hallmark channels which my wife and daughter are addicted to. Probably have to add FriendlyTV for $8 just to get those in that scenario.

Streaming is such a mess with everyone wanting their own platform that Reed Hastings is right - piracy is the competition. It's just about to the point that setting up an automated pirate server to get the shows you watch is easier and less hassle. Almost. The first company that brings all these together at a reasonable price will own the market, but with Disney having so much power, I don't see that happening.

#572 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You cant be serious.......right?? Lol

I'm totally serious. CNN international has some good shows. I watch ALL news (PBS, CNN, CNNI, BBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, NHK, etc). It's the only way to get a complete picture. People that watch FOX News and think they're getting actual news are delusional.

#574 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Lol I'm cracking up over here. Thanks for the laugh! Did Fubo ever get fox regional sports back?

Don't know. I don't watch them. But cutting ANY channel, then telling subscribers after the fact is bad for keeping those subs.

#577 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Well yeah. You have to supplement Fox with OAN and Nigel Farage tweets to be well informed

I don't subscribe to National Enquirer, People, or US Magazine, either. Same thing.

#578 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah I agree. I'm not happy about the YouTube TV increase because they added channels either. If it wasn't for my gf loving her baseball games and Hallmark, TV Land etc I would drop you tube TVand Philo for. I may keep Philo possibly but I doubt it. I'm paying way too much for TV.
When Sling lost Fox Sports that really screwed me, then Fubo lost fox sports and that really screwed me.

All the providers are playing a dangerous game of greed because the apps that enable you to get what you want to watch automatically delivered to your own server and pay nothing have improved substantially. I never really considered it before, but am definitely now. If there's another change with the lineups or pricing after we move to Hulu Live, we'll probably just move to getting our content for free. Not a move I want to make, but I'm not going to keep playing these games while the providers fail upward. We'll see...

#580 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

The problem is sometimes the VPN stops working. Then what? Youtube + internet is roughly the cost of cable + internet a couple of years ago for all the f'n TVs in my house.
I'm doing well with internet + antenna + philo. I find everything else as I need to, but it sucks to have to do all of that.
Eggs
Zebras
Tomatoes
Vegans

Italy
Ohio

If you put the VPN on a mini computer instead of a router and it's automatically grabbing everything you've "favorited" in the app, you can set it up with scripts to reboot once or twice a day, which automatically restarts the VPN, so if it died, that fixes it. Like I said I'm not to that point *yet*, but I'm definitely staying aware of options.

Youtube's channels suck for what they charge. You need at least two other services to fill in the blanks, and then you're back close to $100 again. Fubo was great for exactly 5 months until they pulled this delete channels and tell your subscribers later bit.

#583 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

But if your VPN craps out while you are seeding certain shows, don't you get a shit ton of DMCA warnings? Asking for a friend...

Not if you bind the application to the VPN port only, so if the VPN dies, the app stops cold via the kill switch.

#585 3 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

I used to use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ and liked it. I don't know all that much about VPN's though. For what you pay you get a user id and password and you can install the software on any number of devices for the one price.

PIA is US based, which is bad news for privacy.

Pretty sure their CTO is still Mark Karpeles, the dude that did a bunch of slimy stuff and melted down Mt. Gox. That's also a bad sign.

#588 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Any opinions on Privado? My dirt cheap VPN switched to them a few months ago. It is faster, but choosing Oslo, Norway gives me a Romanian IP. I'm not sure that actually matters...

Didn't know Privado offered VPN service. Last I heard they were in private searches. But they're located in Spain, so that's a plus for privacy. They're not in the 5 or 9 eyes, just the D-list 14 eyes.

2 months later
#591 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Youtube just announced their departure from Sinclair.... No surprise there. Say goodbye to regional sports networks.
[quoted image]

With any luck Sinclair will be broken up and media ownership rules will be strengthened.

11 months later
#707 2 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

If only that worked as good as online streaming....
Also, anybody that was on a monthly donation plan with Locast should log in and unsubscribe

OTA TiVo is a great supplement to streaming. We have a Roamio OTA (any TiVo past that sucks) with the classic interface and it's come in handy for shows that weren't available on streaming or during internet or provider outages.

That said, we're looking at getting off Fubo and heading to YoutubeTV right now. Fubo's 2020 surprise price increase and dropping CNN while adding (and HEAVILY PROMOTING) Fox News was not welcome. Now they've changed the interface and made it a lot worse so you have to scroll down to get to your favorite channels (they now push "Fubo favorites" first). Last straw situation. I like Fubo's DVR a lot better, but we can get more channels (including BOTH CNN and Fox News) for less money with YoutubeTV, so we're doing the trial to see if we'll make the jump.

The main downers for YoutubeTV so far is the heavier compression makes the video softer than Fubo (I assume to nudge people to the $20/mo extra 4k tier) and the YTTV dvr is so bad it's barely a DVR. It's more like a container to put the shows you like and it may have recorded (no commercials) or on-demand (commercials) stuff and it's hard to tell which is which.

#714 2 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Nope... Tried an amp and it actually lost channels.

You can double up antennas so you get different orientations to try to pick up more signals reliably. You need to make sure the cables to the antennas are the same length, though. There are DIYs on the internet on how to do it. If the towers around you are in much different locations, it can help.

#717 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

RF engineer here. So there's a couple of things that can do that:
1) The amp at the antenna needs to be low noise, not just a booster amp. The booster amps can potentially have a high 'noise figure' (i.e. the amp is noisy). If the amp's noise is the same level (or higher) as the signal you are trying to receive - kinda defeats the purpose and you will go backwards. So a low noise amp is quiet enough to amplify small signals and get them up to a decent level. Then you can use a booster if there's splitters, etc.

This sounds great, but do you have a recommendation for a LNA? There's an ocean of noise in the segment when you just search for broadcast antenna LNA and I'm sure most of it is garbage...

#719 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

No doubt about the junk out there. If they don't give a Noise Figure spec, it really is a crap shoot. If it was good, they'd likely publish the number.
Channel Master makes some popular LNA's (<2dB Noise Figure, which is decent). Nice thing about those is you can buy a low, mid, high or adjustable gain. So that allows you to tailor the gain so you don't overload things. Irishbastard has the antenna in the attic (so do I). Even with a low noise figure amp, if a station's signal is just in the mud because of attenuation thru the roof, then the LNA may not help - there's only so much you can do. A FM trap in the LNA can help to prevent overload from out-of-band FM stations too.
There's some other brands, but Channel Master come to mind since I have one (old model).
[quoted image]

Thanks. I'll give that a shot.

#725 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

A former coworker described that as '"Amish TV".
Can you even get a real landline phone anymore? I think most of them are internet based nowadays.

AT&T is purposely neglecting the maintenance of the copper wire landlines so they can move people to IP based phones. This sucks for many reasons, not the least of which is landlines are powered through the line, so they work in power outages, and landlines have real 911 location tracking. Internet phone service does not.

We were stuck with degrading landline service that went up in price every year $3-4 until we were paying for local only phone service (no long distance) for $60/mo, which was CRAZY. I kept it until the line quality got so bad it wasn't worth having, which is AT&T's plan. Made the change to OOMA internet phone last year. Was not happy about it.

3 weeks later
#731 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Too lazy to go thru all the info here.I'm dumping DIRECTV finally what would you recommend from people who've had both
Sling TV or Philo?

We tried YoutubeTV because Fubo changing the interface and dropping channels without notice pissed me off, but YoutubeTV is a DISASTER as far as I'm concerned. Their UI and DVR are terrible - amongst the worst in streaming. Meanwhile FuboTV put their interface change back to the way it was before, so we're sticking with FuboTV for now. Why can't SOMEONE with some industry clout and money get this right? Classic TiVo interface with YoutubeTV channels and video quality would print money.

Here's the ones we've tried over the past few years:
Sling blue/Orange - generally poor video quality, way overcompressed
Philo - bad video quality (but better than sling), limited channels, excellent price, though
PlayStationTV - really liked this one, but the service is dead now
YoutubeTV - terrible UI, terrible DVR, good video quality, very good channel selection, pricey
FuboTV - good UI, very good DVR, decent video quality, good channel selection (but missing CNN and some others) TONS of soccer and other odd sports crap I couldn't care less about, pricey

#737 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I’ve been waiting....waiting....and....waiting for Starlink. I live in a rural area where your choices are Directv or Dish. Gave up on satellite internet years ago(when they catch you using it, they punish you by slowing it down). Current Directv payment has surpassed $150 and I have no movie channels. Anyone know the timeframe for area code 32736?

It's going by latitude, so I have to think Florida will be a while. We're up at the north end of CA and it's here, but only some of the people that signed up actually got dishes so far. I know some who already have it and others who are still waiting.

1 month later
#768 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

That happened on Tuesday of last week so I signed up for Youtube.tv ... so far I am NOT impressed.
Yes; the unlimited cloud DVR is nice; but here's the problem with the service as I see it.
1) you can stream "Video On Demand" programs pre-recorded by youtube. They seem to replace the broadcast ads with youtube ads which cannot be skipped.
2) If you add a program to be recorded on your account; it will record the show as-is with the broadcast ads. The problem is the compression of this recording is compressed so badly that it looks like it comes from a really bad VHS tape.
Anyone else notice this? or is there something wrong with my account?

Nope. We had the same experience. Youtube tv's DVR implementation is TERRIBLE. Stayed with FuboTV and OTA for the networks with an old TiVo roamio OTA.

I just wish SOME provider (I'm surprised Apple hasn't) could get everything under one umbrella with a decent DVR and good audio/video quality (Sling/Philo are especially terrible video). PlayStation TV came the closest to ideal, but it's gone now.

#771 2 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

I get Sling through a 4K Roku box and my picture and audio are great even on the DVRed stuff.

Roku, Nvidia Shield, Apple TV 1080p or 4k - Sling (orange AND blue packages) looked looked like crap on a 400Mb connection on 65 and 77" OLEDs professionally calibrated regardless of the box used when other streaming services used at the same time looked good to great. Dunno.

#773 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

It would be neat if you can see you're internet traffic thru the router when you stream Sling (or any other service for that matter).
Are your devices wired or wireless? For my streamers on the bigger TV's and the projector, I tend to go the wired route.

Gigabit internet wired to jacks in every room. The fact that other streaming services looked fine and sling did not at the same time points to sling and not the internet service or the router or the wiring. I *guess* charter could have been throttling Dish/Sling traffic at the ISP level, but that seems really far-fetched.

4 months later
#932 2 years ago

Fubo is raising prices again. Pretty sure this will be the thing that finally makes us drop them. I was pissed when they canceled channels and added Fox News AND raised prices last time with NO notice - a triple Will Smith. This time we're not even getting any channels, just more DVR space (who needs 1000 hours?) and more simultaneous streams (10. The 3 we paid $2 more for were fine. Who is 10 simultaneous streams for? Brady Bunch? Duggar family?).

I miss Playstation TV. Still can't believe no one bought them. They had the best setup and channels for streaming.

8 months later
#1139 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I am glad that I have been reading all of this for a while and talking to friends.
My Dish TV bill just went from 82.50 to 129.00. I am cancelling the 2nd week of January, as I have been planning to do for a while.
At first just using the antenna, but when one friend has time, I am going with some service that he has been using for 5 years that he loves.
Going to get him to hook all of that up.
In the meantime, I am going to get a prepaid credit card, or a gift card or something before then, just in case.
At the worst, if I stay 100% OTA and just pay to stream ESPN during football season, that will save a whole lot of money and I will be able to watch what I want anyway.

Disney had a deal for Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ together for $19.99/mo recently. Pretty good deal.

#1141 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

How the do you cancel Bally Sport, can’t seem to do it? Doesn’t seem to be that simple. Different animal for sure. Charges go to Apple ID

(in iOS)
Open the Settings app.
Tap your name.
Tap Subscriptions.
Tap Bally Sports.
Tap Cancel Subscription. You might need to scroll down to find the Cancel Subscription button. If there is no Cancel button or you see an expiration message in red text, the subscription is already canceled.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=PinMonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.